Your neck of the Woods part 3

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

wow, it's huge! how long did it take to get that big?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

ssg: Maybe an aster, like Aster "Purple Dome?" Compare the foliage: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/291907/

Boy, I'd be so excited if this turned out to be a volunteer aster. :)

Catmint, I think I first noticed it in April when it was a tiny seedling. I really hope it blooms!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SS--
There ia a common weed that looks like that--of course--I have never let
it grow anywhere near that size. I see it often--and yank it out.

Just something familiar about the leaves.....that looks like this weed.
Are the stems sort of soft--and flexible?

You may want to post it on the Plant ID Forum. Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd keep a close eye on it to see if it blooms. The last thing you'd want is for it to have little ugly blossoms that you don't see -- and then reseed all over your yard! But the foliage is handsome.

It's a beautiful plant--and so huge just since April--it must really love the spot it's in! :-)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm with Gita, that rings a bell, something that has very tiny flowers and seems like in the Balsam family

Ok, off to the plant id forum!

Does anyone grow beautyberry? I bought one yesterday, even though I don't have a good spot for it.

I was seduced by the purple berries!

This message was edited Aug 16, 2013 8:05 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have one, just got it a couple of years ago and it is still pretty small but it really is a "Beauty". It is going to be loaded with berries this year.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a small one and I love it. It is a great plant.

Amazing berries- and isn't it native too?

Sally, I didn't know there was a native variety until after I made the purchase. I got C. dichotoma species, which is apparently native to East Asia.

Now I have to move 3 other things to give this one enough room...

Now I have to move 3 other things to give this one enough room...

haha and so it goes...

here's something for you s sg- hardy relative of that giant voodoo lily!!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2055/#b

This message was edited Aug 16, 2013 10:09 AM

Sally, I WANT IT! :)

What a fun looking plant!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi all. I have finally moved into my new home and started planting (and unpacking).

The move was an epic disaster, but I'm here now!

Love your gardens. I am taking pictures of my new garden in progress.

I have lots of poison ivy. I have been wearing long sleeves and jeans in the garden. I just pull it out and keep it out of the compost. I am laying newspaper and cardboard around the plants in my new plantings to block weeds. I'll eventually get mulch on top of the cardboard. Any other advice?

Winston the pug is loving the new deck. He can snooze inthe sun and watch the world go by while I work at my desk. I need to get bigger leads for outside. Our long lead (so long that I had to wrap it around a post to keep him off the sidewalk in our old place) is too short for here!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

GardenQuilts: Congrats on the move! On the poison ivy -- from our experience, seeds will keep blowing in, so be diligent! It can really take over.

It sounds as if you are doing the right thing with the compost!

I'd love to see a photo of Winston on his new deck!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I just love that plant.
GardenQuilts, Sounds like things are rolling along really good. I too would love to see a few pictures when you get around to it.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

all the best in your new home GardenQuilts

vinegar is a good weed killer. works for poison ivy too. and as Happy recommended, be diligent!! we look forward to your pictures

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

wind--
I have crabgrass trying to grow in many, many places on y lawn--
thanks to my neighbor who does not care....

Do you think vinegar would kill it? These clumps are not big yet--
just trying to assert themselves.
If I used vinegar--what dilution would you use for weeds--or crabgrass?

Thanks. Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita: If you use vinegar in your lawn, it will kill your grass as well -- it is not selective.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OOOOK! Thank you Happy....
Back to pulling them up by hand. G.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Woohoo, Gardenquilts!!! Glad you are settling in, despite the PI!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

As much as I dislike chemicals, I've found that the Ortho PI killer works rather well. It is also effective on honey suckle, spice bush and Virginia creeper, any woody vine. It is rather selective and dose not seem to damage much in the area of application.
A tip about PI, Put dish detergent on the exposed areas of skin before you work., let it dry, then have at it. Wash immediately after engaging the beast and something you my not want to do is wipe exposed areas with Chlorox. It is very effective in removing the urushiol, the cause of the rash. Wiping with alcohol is also effective and a little less sever. It's funny, but my son is totally immune to PI.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric,

I agree 1000% with dish detergent. I have never used it before exposure but I always use it after possible exposure. It's cheap and effective.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I do the same, and I also use a dish scrubber. But I read not to use hot water -- that makes sense -- it might spread the urushiol.

Isn't the PI killer just Round-up under a different name?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'd say not, it seems to kill vines and not leave surrounding plants dead.

thats weird

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

According to this - http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/ortho-max-poison-ivy-killer-concentrate/prod140030/ - it is 8.0% Triclopyr -- so it isn't Roundup....

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy birthdays are due to Pippi over here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1329993/

We went to Great Falls for the first time. We went to the VA side, though the MD side is very popular too with the Billy Goat Trail.

It's a huge natural gorge and very unusual for this area. Upstream at observation point 2
Downstream, from down the river- you hike along above the river and can imagine how deep the steep sides of the river are underwater. Deep, powerful currents- this is the Potomac which is the size of a bay not that far away, below Washington DC.
Downstream, but just below the waterfalls at the top end.
You get what you pay for when you ask a passrby to take your picture! Too tired and sweaty to try again.

Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally -- I love those photos -- including the family one! I think you were waving at us!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

What a great area, I have never been there. Will have to check that out maybe for a day trip.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Love the shot in the 1st photo!

Thanks Darius- lucky shot. I'd be happy to share an un-watermarked version with you.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Great Sally, Do you think they kayak there?

There is a kayak launch site just below the biggest falls, above the gorge. We saw one kayak in the gorge. Must be very impressive from the water, looking up!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Great Falls is for serious kayakers. An experienced kayaker died there just last month. http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-07-13/local/40551801_1_kayaker-swimming-pools-seeber

Happy, there's a great interactive Post piece about Great Falls, related to that tragic kayaker's story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/local/the-perils-of-great-falls/

Great visuals and good info.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, I've looked at that -- it is amazing because the waters don't look that dangerous. We've gone hiking recently on Billy Goat's Trail and are returning probably Sunday morning if anyone is interested in joining us for a slow version....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.