Fall Swap 2013 at SallyGs on 9/8/13 Food Thread

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

As far as I know........

you put the tea bags in the gallon jug (or smaller) of water and leave it outside
outside in the sun to seep.
Used to be popular some years ago. They even sold special, flowery glass
jars with a little spigot at the bottom to make and serve this tea.

I think I still have one....somewhere.... Gita

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sun+tea+jars+glass&qpvt=sun+tea+jars+glass&FORM=IGRE

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from Sos07 :
Coleup,I make sun tea every other day ,I can spare an extra gallon jar.

Sweet! Sos07 I'll pre sun some that morning and then we can transfer. What's your favorite sun tea? I know a number of us have various kinds of mint to add to the mix. Nothing like fresh picked taste! Hopefully it will steep in time for those who have never tried sun tea to have a taste.

IJAMSVILLE, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita,it's still popular today among the health conscious,it's still used today! Not the high caffeine content .The temperature of boiling water brings out the caffeine and tannic acids..I use assam black tea and Lipton's gallon size tea bags.Assam black tea is very good for you.Sounds good Coleup!

IJAMSVILLE, MD(Zone 7a)

Corrected! Regular ice tea when using boiling water,and tea releases caffeine and tannic acids.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I found this interesting article when reading up on sun tea. What say you?

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/07/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-sun-tea-forget-the-sun-cold-brew-tea-is-better.html

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I stopped making sun tea cuz it always got cloudy faster.
You folks hash it out - I will have water and teabags in the kitchen if we need me to make tea.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That was interesting, Terp!

You guys are going to eat some good eats!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

**WARNING***

The Pickles I will be bringing were made about 3 weeks ago--so they will REEK
of garlic! A bit potent! Don't want to make a new batch--as I have these.
I have had all kinds of favorable comments on this batch--from everyone--
Like: "GITA! This is the best batch you have ever made!"...They all know my pickles...

For me--they are too garlicky....but the longer they seep--
the more pronounced the garlic taste gets...

Just FYI.....G.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I would say that I probably prefer them that way...

Truth.

The food spread looks really good!
I'll get melons and have fruit cut up, slices of watermelon, some such.

Coleup- Please can we get the gazebo? It's an excellent precaution against rain and hot sun on the food. And the food can be at ground level rather than needing a special trip up the deck and into the house. I will be getting citronella candles- I wonder if they'd help keep the flies out? Anybody have a suggestion to keep the flies away from the food tent? Spray the gazebo with bug spray? or bug repellant?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a bunch of fly paper rolls....the ones you pull out in a coil and hang.
As ugly as it may look--you could hang them inside the gazebo above the food
but far enough back so no ones hair gets stuck to them.

I don't think the "Yard Guard", and similar products, keep flies off-just skeeters...

OR---my brain is kicking in.....red flag!
Lets put a dish of some vile, rotten meat or bones near the gazebo--
or whatever else REALLY attracts flies.
The flies will, surely, go to that. Just tell Addy she is not allowed....
G.

YOU try telling Addy she can't have that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just picked my first fig on the year- Gita, maybe you could bring some figs from Olga's tree for snacking? Only if you have time, with all your other prep.

Looked at some homemade fly traps with sugar, apple cider vinegar, and maybe a little piece of meat. I'll get those going this weekend.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--
I would BUT..........
None of Olga's Figs are getting ripe yet. Weird! All green and hard.
I would think by now the tree would be loaded...ready for picking?
We have a week to go. I will keep an eye on it.
Maybe they are all waiting for her to return from her trip--Sept. 12th.? ?

There were some ripe ones on the smaller Fig that is leaning against the house.
These figs are larger and reddish when ripe. NOT as sweet as the tree ones.
I picked 4 today.
Her "Turkey Fig" by the shed was the most prolific. Of course--that is the one
she had cut down and dug up. She said it didn't look right there.
I think it looked perfect! Filled in the corner by her shed and her
back yard's neighbors. Oh, well....She DOES impulsive things quite often.
I think it may be a trait of being Spanish....

SOOO???? You are not interested in the Fly papers then? LMK.
They can be sort of gross.....especially when covered with dead flies...
G.

Let's try one flypaper and see if its effective ie catches some flies that day.

Hey all- I just sent an Untitled dmail which is my address and directions. Let me know if you have any questions.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got some new-in-package row cover that we could use to cover food tables... if you think the flies might really be that bad, I'll put it in the car.

Thats a clever thought- so clever that I might pick up some tulle from the fabric store. It seems like one of those would lay down over the food nicely, doesn't it.

I'll keep the plastic wrap and foil handy too of course.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

Tulle will run you $$$. per yard.

HD sells a big roll of the finest netting--just like tulle. Wide and long.. White.
It's called Cicada Netting. The roll is 42" wide--did not give length (??)...under $15.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREENSCAPES-Cicada-Netting-209916/204236476#.UiHzLH_JZMg

All the stores listed showed lots on hand. It was a new item this year--as there
were a lot of Cicadas in many areas.

Would this work? Gita

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm going to change my shrimp salad to something else...

I thought the food was going to be in the kitchen, like it was at the early summer gathering. Since it's going to be outside the entire time, I should bring something less perishable.

How about a bread bowl with spinach dip? Or beer?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'd have offered tulle, but I think we turned my supply into a mermaid tail.

I love spinach dip!

That's fine ssgardener. I don't mind if food is in the kitchen also though. Actually- I don't think we have anyone coming for whom stairs are an issue. Maybe we will keep the food inside. Or half and half.

I made a very effective fly trap today. Cut the top off a water bottle, invert it to make a funnel entrance, put a little water in it with something that attracts flies, and they get stuck and drown. Caught 30+ in a few hours.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--and what was that 'something" that attracted 30 flies???

Beer? Vinegar? Rotten antelope? stale meat?
G.

more disgusting than all those, please don't make me say it. I kept the trap way out in the yard back by the trees on the ground.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Hope I'm not to late to "second" what Critter said -- I love spinach dip too!!! Ss, should you go that route, you've got my vote! =)

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok, I'll make a spinach dip bread bowl!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm not going to be able to keep my post at the top that summarizes what everyone is brining updated, as of tomorrow. Would anybody else be willing to do that? It probably doesn't matter at this point since everyone has pretty much staked out what they are bringing.

If anyone decides to take this on, please "cut and paste" my list above into a new post on this thread, and I'll post a link to yours in lieu of my list above. I think you can probably get around the DG "cut and paste" problems if you "cut and paste" to a Word document (or whatever), and then "cut and paste" from there back into DG.

But again, it probably isn't necessary since everyone know what they are bringing.

We are still shy on drinks (Chantell was bringing sodas but can't come) and ice, if anyone is still thinking about what to bring....

This message was edited Sep 1, 2013 11:55 AM

Quote from happy_macomb :
I'll keep this post updated with a list of what everyone is bringing, organized by food type. I'm not putting myself down yet because it isn't clear whether I'm even coming.

APPETIZERS:
Mystery Appetizer/snack (oh, the intrigue!) (speediebean)

MAIN DISHES:
Gizzards and rice (Catbird23)
Slightly-spicy BBQ wing "drumettes" -- these will require space for the crock pot (speediebean)
Layered Cornbread and Turkey Salad (typwc)
from http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/layered-cornbread-and-turkey-salad-10000001069612/
Dumplings (donnerville)
Maybe deviled eggs aspenhill

SALADS:
Three bean salad (UMD_Terp)
Potato Salad (Gita)
Macaroni salad (Sallyg)
Maybe broccoli salad aspenhill

SIDES:
Yummy Garlic/Dill pickles (Gita)
Great Harvest Bread (Coleup)
Spinach dip bread bowl (ssgardener)
Fruit- cut up melons (sally)

DESSERTS:

Brownies (Catbird23)
Cake (Sallyg)

SOMETHING SWEET AND SOMETHING SAVORY:
Critterologist

DRINKS:
Sweet and regular brewed teas, lemonade (SallyG)
Bottle of wine (Gita)
More wine, beer (Sallyg)
Sodas aspenhilll

MISC:
Plates, cups, napkins, and forks (Catmint and Happy_Macomb)
Knives (Happy_Macomb)
16 ox Solo cups (SallyG)

IDEAS FOR WHAT TO BRING:
ice
finger food
drinks
fruit
raw veggies
bread
salads
cookies
whatever....

NON-FOOD ITEMS TO BRING
Card tables and your own lawn chair, if you have room to bring them

This message was edited Sep 1, 2013 11:52 AM

Thanks for your help happy!!!!

This message was edited Sep 6, 2013 9:33 AM

This message was edited Sep 6, 2013 7:28 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Sally! Have a great swap! Ssgardener is ferrying my plants for me (thanks, ssg).

This message was edited Sep 1, 2013 2:51 PM

I've edited just above, I plan to also make

Macaroni salad

Lemonade and more wine

This message was edited Sep 6, 2013 12:18 PM

This message was edited Sep 6, 2013 7:26 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

We have so much food coming--please do not go out and make all that stuff!!!
You have enough on your hands....

I know--I know--you won't listen to me........G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

It is getting close now :) I'll bring a side dish (maybe deviled eggs or a brocolli slaw, or maybe both) and since Chantell won't be able to make it, I'll also bring a cooler of sodas and bottled water. My neighbor friend Cheryl thinks she will be able to come too, but won't be quite sure until Sun morning because of some health issues she has been experiencing this week. She'll probably bring a desert.

Thanks Terri!!

Gita I am listening- thinking, we'll see how my time works out, have not gone to the store yet today... but remember that what I make Sunday that doesn't get eaten is dinner Monday for my three big guys

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

,,,,also--whatever is left over form all the food everyone else is bringing too....

You guys will eat well for a few days......that's a given... G.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Will there be any other kids there? I'm going to toss some kid snax (crackers, fruit leather, juice pouches) in a bag and want to make sure I have enough to go around.

Your gang, typwc's two , Catmint a 12 yr old...I think that covers it. My 16 yr old does not count as a kid- so HE says.

Not sure what the kids think of the general menu but there's always PBJ and popcorn in the house, help yourselves if I forget to offer!

I listened to Gita and dropped one of my ideas- the menu just above here I posted Sep 1 is essentially correct.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL, bet he won't turn down a fruit roll-up, though.

Sally, my "savory" is a pasta salad, so we should be fine without the macaroni salad (except for those who don't like olives)... I picked up some olive tapenade and mini mozz balls at Wegman's Olive Bar last week, just have to boil up some pasta to toss with them.

I have cupcakes in the oven right now. Not chocolate, because I'm not going to go up against Robin's brownies!

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Just confirming that my two kiddos are going to be there. I plan to pack stuff for them to do and to eat too, just in case. So glad to hear that there will be so many kids!
August is into soccer right now and Adele is potty training (oh dear!).
Also the 8th is her birthday so practice your singing everyone! Critter, do you mind if I hijack a cupcake for two candles for her? I signed up to bring a salad but blowing out candles on top of a salad just doesn't have the same effect :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, I've added 2 pink candles to the cupcake tray. I had a few pink cupcakes (strawberry) left from earlier in the week, and they're also on the tray, but their icing sort of slid off... I'll see if I can spruce one up for the birthday girl! Or if she'd prefer her special one to be chocolate, there's one of those left also -- and it has sprinkles. :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I found some sticky-sweet pink decorative icing (the kind Joyanna really loves LOL) and re-frosted the top of one of the strawberry cupcakes, then added 2 candles to it. If she'd rather have a different one, we'll just move the candles.

How old isyour son, typwc? Joyanna just turned 4, and my neighbor's girls are almost-2 and 6.

Lovely !!!!

I will try to make a tomato pie instead.

I have a black german shepard who may look scary to little ones, but is sweet. She'll want to meet everybody.

I got some bottle of bubbles. and also have frozen some lemonade to use in a manual ice shaver- figured some bigger kid (Catmint's daughter?) may like being in charge to help the little ones make some shaved ice, later in the day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.