They just need a good beheading

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Kiley - No frost in sight here. Maybe in a couple of weeks I might have to look around for my long pants. Seriously. :) It's funny how some aloes change color. I never get tired of seeing all the variations.

Debi - Yes, you really would see a big improvement if you could erect some partial shade. There are various types of plastic shade cloth out there (I use 50% shade or 20% shade for some plants), all being fairly rugged and long lived. Regular window screen is maybe 10 or 15% shade if you're desperate and unable to find anything else. Just about all succulents will do better in filtered light compared to direct sun but there are some that really crave the sun and others that prefer to avoid it. (I don't grow those plants with the exception of a few indoors.)

An overhang with western or eastern exposure will provide valuable protection from harsh midday sun but allow plants to get the kinder light from lower in the sky.

Pictured is the shade cloth door we installed here not too long ago. It's obviously homemade and not at all pretty but it serves the purpose, and it has the bonus feature that I can lift the door on its hinge to get at the plants below (or give them more light on dark days).

This message was edited Nov 13, 2014 2:26 PM

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Here's another example of a proper beheading. This Aeonium was not branching so I decided to go to work on it. First I cut the whole head off and re-rooted it in a smaller pot. (About 1 month.) Then I cut the head off that plant, being careful to leave a couple of rows of happy leaves on the bottom part, and re-rooted that head. What you see in the first picture are the results after another month or two. The head is ready for a larger pot, and the stump is branching like crazy.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.