Morning Glories 2013 #06

szarvas, Hungary

ornamental corn - corn quadricolor !

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

That is beautiful! Is the corn different colors?

Gautier, MS

I agree, your blooms are awesome Dany!!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Dany the first purp is stunning, flower and photography! Nice shot!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm partial to that 1st purp too.
The last bloom resembles a Sazanami, so pretty

Dany's lovely #8
Pink Rambler trying to split
Kumquat
New Crinum blooms

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Beautiful blooms Jackie!

A few of my blooms this morning!

Mauve splash, and mutant lilac I got from ebay.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55

Love your blooms too Linda. The lilac mutant is a beautiful color.
I really like it.
I hope my Mauve Splash is as pretty as yours when it blooms.

(Zone 7a)

Dany, Jackie & Linda - so beautiful - your flowers are like new dimensions

szarvas, Hungary

Thanks, everybody !
1 - request for advice! : this Hederacea Ivy Leaf Morning Glory grow together with a Nil .I don't think it can stay because later it will be difficult to distinguish between different seed pod.
2 - this cultivar gives flowers sometimes very dark sometimes light!
3 - another like him.
4 - perfection !
5 - pretty!

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Purpureas .... remarkable !

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12

Dany those are beautuful.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Dany the seed pods should be easy to tell apart and the Hederacea seeds will be tiny compared to the nil.
The links show the difference in the two.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/350216/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/277409/

Thanks Karen.
Dazzling purpureas Dany. Love # 4 and # 5

A few blooms this morning
2 somewhat different blooms on the lovely no Mai

Tai aki

Fuji no Sora

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Norfolk, VA

I'm back, here are more pics of Orihime and Jackie's Akatsuki no Mai.

Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan
Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Jackie, Linda, Dany and Tony. They are all special from mauve splash, Dany's blues and purpureas to Jackies no Mai. I can see the color resemblance to the ip nil I had blooming too Jackie from your no Mai.

The show of blooms is awesome.

Thanks Helena.
Pretty no Mai's Tony but the Orihime is drop dead gorgeous

This message was edited Jul 28, 2013 9:21 PM

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Nice Jackie, still love the color of the Tai aki!

Looking good Tony!

Thanks Ronnie.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2013 9:21 PM

szarvas, Hungary

Summer in Japan ... time for morning glory exhibitions !
The place .... to be !

In fact .... with morning glory .... you do not need a large garden .... a large table ...it's enough !

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Dream in Blue !

Dany those are awesome! Wish I could get to Japan to view them!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Quote from helenahkh :
I agree, your blooms are awesome Dany!!!

Lovely display, beautiful colors and patterns, Dany.

I love Orihime, I hope mine comes on soon.I love the tai aki, can't wait to se some of mine opening soon. LK, your mauve sar is gorgeous, and I love it.
too much rain keeps me from showing what is bloming, but I am happy to have it..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Dany. It's amazing how they are grown in Japan. Quite a nice show.

Nice blooms Debra. We are getting tired of rain here too.

I had this nice blue star blizzard from one of Dany's seed mix.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I finally have something to post! This mornings blooms, and some nice seed pods developing.

Thumbnail by JoParrott Thumbnail by JoParrott

Beautiful blooms!

So nice to take a peek at the MG exhibitions in Japan Dany. Thanks for
sharing those pics with us.
Pretty blooms Debra. I should have a couple of yours open in the next day or so.
Helena, that is the most gorgeous bloom. I'd rate it right up
there with Watercolor.
Nice Star of Yelta bloom Jo. I just bought a pkt of those yesterday.

I have the same old blooms today but did have this interesting bloom from Tony's PTD # 3. It had been blooming a very pale pink. Can't wait to see
what color it blooms next.

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Pretty blooms Jo, glad you got them and the seeds too.

That's a nice pale color Jackie, looks almost white to me. I'm hoping I get something like yours from one of Onalees seed which was white with just one pale pink sprite.

I do like my new blue star blizzard from Dany's seeds. So thanks, it's on the special list.

Thanks Helena. Yes its a cool white. Was a total surprise.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

OK-- I just looked at the Japan exhibit, and I am amazed- are they actually grown in those tiny pots, and do they naturally flower on such short stems?There must be some magic done somewhere! Someone PLEASE tell me what they do- I pamper my seedlings and they grow lush leaves, but most of them are yet to even get buds on them. Do they not like being in the ground with lots of room?

Mine are in one gallon pots and hardly any of them are growing and vining like they should, and most of them have bloomed at about 6-8 inches tall. I was wondering what I am doing wrong that they don't grow and climb the fence?

some of mine grow long vines and never bloom until late, some bloom before they get the first ft of vine, some get multi stems when they get broken, some get snipped on purpose, you never can get an exact answer for how they bloom or when, it is just the morning glory way.. I snip my long viners at the top 6 inches when they are climbing up in a swirl..
I have two whites opened, and a white mg bush, and a lav mg bush.. I have had this vine for two years, this is the first thing to bloom this spring. pale pale yellow with burgandy throat, weird five finger leave, different from my other tropical glorys..
this lobata and helenas mix has been vining for over a month, i have not snipped at it yet, I do a lot of twining instead..
I love the new blue star blizzard,Helena, it is beautiful.. I have a pink that dany sent, it is really unusual, but the rain keeps melting it..
the messina creeper, setosa, lav moon vines, and moonflowers are all over the fence to the north.. and in the sunflower tomatoe patch.. the i nils from everyone are just now starting to climb the poles here..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Quote from dany12 :
ornamental corn - corn quadricolor !

Now I must have some of that for my collection..

Nice blooms Debra.

Thanks, Jackie, I am awaiting some of your beautys, so keep posting my eye candy will ya?

by the way, does anyone want to try some small plants of messina creeper? LOL
I love your blooms, the no mais and the bmn are my favorites ..

Dany has some really special blooms, and I love being in a room of morning glorys, would love to be there in person.

we got LK hooked, and once Jo gets her i nils she will be too..
shibouri offspring from bluespirals first gift seed to me bloomed this am, didn't get to get a pic, will try later when it drys up..

szarvas, Hungary

1 - Debra ... I hope there will be seeds!
2 - chimera : " The mutation will not be passed on to the seeds of the plant since the mutation did not occur in the germ cells of the plant" . ( Dan Egel, Extension Vegetable Pathologist, SWPAC, Purdue University).
3 - four star purpurea .

(Zone 7a)

JoParrot - Regarding your question - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9615674 - about how the Japanese train their MGs to bloom on such short plants, here are a few different facets involved.

First - pruning - go to the sticky index at the top of this forum, under "TRELLISING and/or PRUNING MG VINES" and check out entries 2, 3 & 4

Second - fertilizer - I don't know exactly, but they may use a fertilizer relatively high in phosphorus for the flowers. Those 3 numbers on fertilizer refer to N - P - K or Nitrogen (leaves), Phosphorus (flowers), Potassium (stem/root) respectively. You might check out "FERTILIZATION" in the sticky index, too.

Third - light - A period of time, in which each day has less hours of light than the previous day, such as in the autumn but also simulated by covering with something like a box, can induce flowering. See "PHOTOPERIODISM" in the sticky index.

Fourth - genes - I don't know the names or labels of the MGs in Dany's photos of morning glory festivals in Japan, but I strongly suspect they probably have selected the best cultivars for that purpose - mostly within Ipomoea nil.
----------------------------

Maybe we can't replicate exactly what the Japanese do, but I think anyone could approximate a display like this and wish we could all hold festivals like this wherever we are - and not just for morning glories.
--------------------------

Jo - many of the above considerations also apply to the question you asked - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9588923 - earlier about why your vines weren't blooming. It was hard to answer your question without knowing more details about your growing conditions or which MG species or cultivars you are growing, but did you ever narrow the possible explanations down to answer your question? Your answer might become a great resource for this particular type of question in our sticky.
--------------------------------

Dany - thanks for explaining chimera - it gives new meaning to the old adage that "Nothing stays the same." Although how wonderful for Japan to celebrate flowers the way it does in exhibitions and festivals for so many centuries - glad that has not changed :)

--------------------------------------
Am so enjoying this forum's latest festival while I tussle with my camera software and watch my vines spiral up and out - Tony's Orihime & others; Dany's pics of exhibition, blues & others; Helen's Blue Star Blizzard from Dany; Jo's I. purpurea 'Star of Yelta'; Debra's extravaganza to Goddess Flora - wonderful to see summer picking up here.

Any comments that may make mine more accurate or clear would be most welcome.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2013 4:04 AM

Wow, that is a lot of nice info!
Dany, I have never seen a four star purpurea! Very nice!
Debra, love that soft yellow, and I would love to try the messina creeper if you get any seeds?

Thanks Karen, I had forgotten about those stickys.. still, it's so exciting how a morning glory changes it's face every morning .. I have had them blooming profusely downstairs under the ceiling light nice big huge blooms without the real sun, and being fed laundry water .. LOL

LK. I have estabablished plants, let me send you one//
and there are lots of seeds from the pale yellow one, I hope the other two yellows show up.
Jackie's blooms appear to be on shorter vines, maybe she can share her secret?

Thanks Debra!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.