Plants blooming today (Continued) #3

Tarpon Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Meadow, Tarpon Springs is a great little town with many residents proud to live here. My kids are 3rd generation here. We live in a pocket of warmth, bathed in the warm air from the gulf, so it stays a tad warmer than the surrounding area and we like that just fine. I go to spring lake and brooksville to see the hills and enjoy the "clean" air. I, am from the north, so I like hills and miss them so, even if they are small ones ;-) But you can't beat the warmth for growing conditions.

Thanks Cody.

RetiredFlorida,you are very welcome!!!

I wish it was warm here.It is going to be in the 20's tonight!! I am in Louisiana.Brrrr!!!!

Cody

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Stripe Marvel morning glory is very pretty.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

My fingers typed morning glory, but my brain thought marigold...it is a marigold and I am hoping to collect some seeds from it.

RetiredFL...that is a beautiful passiflora! You have so many beautiful passionflowers, I am jealous. I have 3 and get flowers...but all I want is a fruiting one.

Here is a pic of my mums that are blooming now.

Cody

Thumbnail by
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry to MIA for a bit, I've been on vacation.

Jan, I've never seen any seeds on my Mexican Sunflower, unless it is the flowers....but no nothing comes up from seeds. I do think it would be easy to remove a clump from the bottom of an established plant with roots though. Mine gets a bit wider each year. Grows about the same height.

Shauna that is interesting about the Plumeria not blooming all summer. They were all blooming so pretty in June when we were at Sanibel Island. All your hibiscus are so beautiful. My pink Miami still has never bloomed since the setback freezes of two winters ago. :(

RetFL, you have such amazing passifloras...love all the photos.

Southgal, I came home to some very wilted and dried out mums, I think it got a bit too warm for them this past week. Pretty bright yellow.

Sunkissed,hope you and your family had a great time.Sorry to hear about your mums.Try planting some in the shade.Thats where mine is.Thanks!!! They are bright.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

A few blooms from the yard today.
Yellow hibiscus, Painted Lady hibiscus, milkweed, El Capitolio Hibiscus, and my Queen's Tear bromeliad is starting to form a bloom.

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219

Shauna,very pretty flowers!!!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna

you have some amazing plants. Gosh I'm sure it brings great joy to you for all your hard work, that when you go outside and see them.

I know I so enjoyed mine when I had a full garden up north. I've only had a few potted plants, which I enjoy, but a garden is what makes my heart sing.

Thanks for the eye candy on the photos.

Jan

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Jan and Southgal, thanks for the compliments.

Eventually, I think I am going to turn most of the yard into a tropical jungle. I love going out in the yard and whether I am working out there, or just admiring the plants...it is a great way to relax and unwind.

When I have some time, I am going to start taking some cuttings and (hopefully) rooting some of my hibiscuses, so I will have them ready to go for the spring Round Up.

Shauna

Hi Shauna,you are very welcome!!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna,
Beautiful pics, love the hibiscus.
Was surprised my dutchmens pipe was full of blooms again. This is the second time this year.
My 2 yr. old heliconia is finally blooming good.
We are supposed to get cooler this weekend whch is ok with me.
Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Bonnie,

My Dutchman's pipe is blooming again as well.

I took this pic Monday of it.

Thumbnail by shauna1219
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna

That is incredible. How big is that bloom?

What type of soil do you have your Dutchman's pipe growing in.....?

I thought they would have to have moist soil and in the shade? If that is the case where in FL is that possible...LOL

Jan

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Jan,

Honestly, I planted that in my front yard...up against a Podocarpus tree in pretty much full sun on the east side of the house. I got it last year and didn't see much signs of growth. This year has been completely opposite. It won't stop and has overtaken that tree. That bloom is bigger than my hand by a couple of inches and has been going through bloom phases all summer long.

Last year, I tried to baby it and watered it frequently...but this year...I have done nothing to it. It gets watered when it rains. I have pretty decent dirt in the yard, due to the property used to be a plant nursery 30+ years ago, but it is your typical Florida sand.

I have added that to my list of plants that I want to root cuttings, because I think the flowers are beautiful and the Swallowtails love them.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

you really do have a green thumb.

Jan

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I guess I do...although, I didn't realize it till just a few years ago.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

That Pipe is wonderful. The cats got my small one and ate it down to the ground. Love all the butterflies but would have been nice if they would have left me at least 1 small part of the plant.

My Passion Vine is just now starting to get some new leaves.

Going to take advantage of the beautiful weather & get out & do some trimming back today.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

My pipe vine is in full direct sun all day. Climbing on the pasture fence. Died back to the ground in winter but has always come back great.

I was gifted some pipevine seeds from another DG friend, but they never took, put the rest into the ground and still nothing. I really don't have room for the vine anyway.

Hoping they're wrong, but weather report shows down to 38° tomorrow night? That doesn't seem possible already. Just what I need to worry about my tropical plants the night before Thanksgiving day.

I have some nice cherry tomato plants in containers also, and will need to cover them or bring them into the FL room. I don't have my makeshift greenhouse up yet, and no time for that in the next two days.

Anyway Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

That 38 sounds about right Sherri...they are talking about low to mid 40's here in Tampa tomorrow night. Luckily I think those cold temps are only supposed to be here a couple of days and then we start warming up again.

But hey, it could be worse...we could live up north where they are getting snow. LOL

Snagged a couple of pics in the yard this morning.

Morning Glory, white Cleome and my Queen's Tear bromeliad is opening

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Didn't get any 38 temps here. Has been just beautiful. Some cloudy days but that's ok. Better than ice and snow.

Pond temps are staying up for now so fish can eat. I'll include a pic of fish that are 2 feet and over. First and second pics.
What the heck I'll throw in smaller ones in old pond for last 3.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

Nice pics Shauna and Bonnie.

It has already been that cold here.Tonight is only in the 60's.We also have had a very nice week.This weekend will be in the 40's for the high.So its going from nice to freezing!!!

I live in Louisianna!!!

Cody

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

shauna
love the pics glad to see the Cleome does well here, I've got some seeds left from up north, so will most certainly give them a try.

Bonnie
those are some big ones, omygoodness, I know knowing about fish that large, gosh the dark colored one reminds me a little of catfish, with those whiskers. When I see ya early next year and if the weather is warm I would sure like to see them up close and personal....LOL

Weather is suppose to be above average here for the next several days, can't wait.

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna has such beautiful flowers. That's a gal with a green thumb .

Jan, those whiskers on koi are called barbells and all koi have them. Wait until you see my Goldies eyelashes. She is the only one I have that has them. Unfortunately she is turning from gold to many white scales. She is about 5 years old now. My dream fish is to find a solid blue which is rare.

It's so nice out I have to get outside and work. Can't stand staying in the house even tho it too needs attention.

Bonnie

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Bonnie a blue now that sounds interesting. Don't worry about the house it will be there when you are done for the day in the garden. Me personally, I would rather be out messing around in the garden than a house.

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I used to be a spotless housekeeper. A friend told me once you fight dirt all your life and when you die they throw it in your face. So now I'd rather be digging it and planting while I can see plants grow and enjoy it.
Ought to get m e one of those signs "Martha Stewart doesn't live here" LOL

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

A few plants are blooming now: taken this morning.
Thanksgiving cactus
Chinese hat plant
Datura
Brugs
cleredendrum

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

kaloncho
ribbon or tapeworm shrub
holly
firecracker
cassia

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Ti Ti blooming for first time and they are old.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

beautiful Bonnie, your green thumb is incredible.

Hey Bonnie, I had to laugh at your "dirt" quote, too funny.

Your garden looking spectacular, the Holiday Cactus is beautiful. I have one that color but not that big.
Some pretty warm weather lately and of course the garden is loving it. I wouldn't mind a bit cooler as I have a bad headcold and soup would be nice, but who wants soup when it is 85° out?

I'm going to start a new thread since this one is getting quite long. See Winter plants blooming...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1343824/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.