Plants blooming today (Continued) #3

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Bonnie and Sunkissed. The Coralbush has prospered the best in part Sun/Shade under a large live Oak. It's about 7 years old, 7 ft tall and in a 30 gal pot. I have been dragging it into the garage for freezing temps, so it has never really frozen back.

This brug opened last night....

Thumbnail by tony9779
Orlando, FL

Great pictures Sherri! The spider lily is too cool. That cardinal does looked ticked...too funny! The last flower is that chinese lantern that is tring to smother my yard. The third one looks like sweet pea or something?
Tony your brug looks happy...I should check to see how mine are doing. Clear blue skies today...I may have to get out and play.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Love the pics!! Beautiful picture of the Cardinal…You should add that to the bird files! I agree with locoluna, #3 does look like Clitoria ternatea. A butterfly pea vine. Very pretty. I can't say anything about #4…It almost looks alien.
tony9779…That Brug is gorgeous!

Orlando, FL

Thats it! Butterfly pea. Number four is the lantern turned inside out exposing the sticky red seeds.

Tarpon Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

sunkissed that spider lily is pretty nice. Looks very similar to the swamp lily I see up at the Lower Suwannee Refuge.

Tony your brug is very nice. I have one that seems to be struggling.

Darren

Dropped a monkey off my back today, re-roofing is finished! Yay. So while tending my garden (actually watching the roofers) I noticed some firsts in my garden. First bloom of passiflora belotii today thanks to Kay Jones! And first fruit from Passiflora Pallida today, so very small, size of an eraser head. I also had some other blooms but were in shade by the time I realized it.

So I wanted to share some photos but this site keeps giving me an undefined error!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Darren hope you can get those pics posted. I tried to load a pic to see if it worked and no luck, same error.

Thanks for the ID of the wild flowers...you all are good. That is the best close up I've ever taken of a Cardinal, I was photographing the flowers and didn't realize it was right in front of me.

My brugs have no flowers or buds now, but they are young, that is a very pretty colored one tony. I see a lot open in the neighborhood again.

The lily is called a swamp lily and is a FL native....I have no idea where it came from, I don't recall planting it. :)

See you all in a couple weeks, heading out on Sunday to Flagler Beach, our favorite beach. Happy Gardening.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Darren, thank you for your thoughts and have 2 pair new glasses orderd should receive next week. Very anxious. I now see colors much brighter and can drive without glasses if no sun out. Never wore sunglasses all my life but sure have to now but thats OK. I can get used to anything as long as I can see.
All of your pictures are wonderful. I have 2 brugs blooming again now and I'm sure its at least the 5th time. That cow manure works wonders.
I am behind in the gardening dept. Daily showers have done wonders for both plants and weeds but I will catch up soon.
Sheri, pic. of cardinal really made me laugh. They visit my bird bath all the time and the feeders. I keep safflower seed out for them all the time. Also, sunflower seeds. Between all the critters we feed around here I could probably feed a family. I don't feed squirrels as we had lots of damage due to them. Gets very expensive. Insulation and duct work destroyed, holes in pool screen etc.
Finally got a baby black snake I'm hoping will stay around and help with the CTF's. Now I have Cuban lizards eating all my Fl. anoles. Geeezzz it never ends.
Hope everybody's gardens are doing great.
Bonnie

Uploading is fixed. Pictures for above thread. Good news Bonnie! P.Belotii purple flower came from cuttings Kay Jones sent.

Started some cuttings of this little p.sanguinolenta for those interested. Hopefully I'll have enough ;-)

Darren

Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Let's see. I have several.
Hibiscus
Duranta Sapphire
Sweet Almond
Yellow Lantana, Blue Daze, and G....?
Gold Hibiscus, 1-5 6" blooms every day.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed Thumbnail by sugarweed Thumbnail by sugarweed Thumbnail by sugarweed Thumbnail by sugarweed
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney - that gold Hibiscus has a very nice flower.

Good thing I enjoyed/appreciated the sun yesterday. Back to NE coolness & gloom this AM.

Jacksonville, FL

We have had alot of overcast gloomy days lately! I need to get out and get some weeding and yard work done today if weather permits.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

A couple of shots from within our lanai......a pink NOID on the left.
On the right, Jatropha, crown of thorns, begonia.....and a few others..........

Thumbnail by grakay Thumbnail by grakay

grakay - that looks so peaceful.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Quote from Qwilter :
grakay - that looks so peaceful.

Thank you!

When I'm working in the garden, I lose myself in its magic......but when I'm sitting there at night after dinner with my java, then that is when I truly feel the peace!

Gracie

sugarweed you have some really nice plants there. I agree that gold hibiscus is beautiful but what caught my eye the most was the blue bloom, that is a new one for me, haven't seen one of those but it would look nice in my yard with all my passiflora ;-) I'm probably biting off more than I can chew with all the new vines I have, but they make me happy.

Grakay, gardens are such magical places delighting us daily with their visitors and blooms. My only regrets are the mosquitos are limiting our enjoyment at the moment.....

Darren

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Quote from RetiredFlorida :
sugarweed you have some really nice plants there. I agree that gold hibiscus is beautiful but what caught my eye the most was the blue bloom, that is a new one for me, haven't seen one of those but it would look nice in my yard with all my passiflora ;-) I'm probably biting off more than I can chew with all the new vines I have, but they make me happy.

Grakay, gardens are such magical places delighting us daily with their visitors and blooms. My only regrets are the mosquitos are limiting our enjoyment at the moment.....

Darren

OMGoodness, I'm having the same problem, and additionally, the ants are giving me a bad case of agita. I stepped on a mound yesterday morning, and they got me good. After trying several modes of relief, I finally settled on Axtec Indian clay and made a poultice. That drew out some of the toxins, and today, it's much better, but still itchy and a bit swollen.
I put DE on the mounds, but I wanted to make sure I got them, so got the big guns out and applied Amdro........

I'm so looking forward to having a "peaceful" backyard. Right now its just a hodge podge - I experimented this year. Now that we have a nice patio we need something "neater/planned" out there. Most everything can be moved & a lot will. DH wants raised beds & walkways between. I have 2 small trees I need to work around but I think I have a plan forming.

All the pics posted here give me great ideas.

Hey sunkissed!!!! Happy Birthday!!! Hope it's a great day for you! :-)))

Yes..............Happy B-Day. Sorry I missed seeing that earlier but have been out & about all day.
Flying home tomorrow. So looking forward to some warm weather.

Really Q??? Looking forward to the heat and humidity!?!?!LOL!!!
Haven't had rain for a couple of days, but the humidity has been high, and "they" say a higher percentage of rain for the end of the week…Just in time for your return!
Safe travels!

Tara - I'm tired of it being overcast, raining, and less than 80!!!! I'm way to acclimated to the FL heat. Of course, this time next week, I'll be complaining about the H&H!!!!!

Jacksonville, FL

Happy belated Birthday Sunkissed!

Some of the projects I have underway include outside painting and that is impossible with the daily rains that sometimes do not even show up! I had all the weeding complete last week and they are coming back up with a vengeance! Cannot stay ahead of it.

I also have painting to do. Got the paint when HD had the last sale. And I've been waiting for a few dry days also. Need to paint the Studio & then I can move my potting bench over to a better location. Where I have it now there is no water close & I use an old plastic folding table instead.
Guess I should just realize it's going to be a Fall project.

Perhaps I need to move indoors, take down the last of the old wall paper & paint there now.

Gracie, I use ammonia on those little fire ant bites applied with a q-tip ASAP.
Retired, that plant with the blue flowers is a Duranta. Those flowers are only 1/2" across each bloom. They make Golden Dew Drops which are also known as Pigeon Berries.
I have seen nothing that ever eats them.
They really weigh down a branch.
I have several varieties growing in Jax. They are too big right now and I need to whack them back. Some of them are Florida natives.
In Okeechobee I have a deck and so I spend awhile out there with scissors dead heading after each bloom. I do that with Sweet Almond too.
We are having our daily monsoon right now so I'll go clean out the refrigerator.
Gracie your plants are gorgeous.

Just came in from a steamy day out in the garden.
A couple pics…Blooming today…And though I didn't get a picture of them, I'm delighted to say there were 2 Zebra Longwings fluttering about.

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1

sugarweed thanks. I had to look that up as soon as I saw your photo. Will be getting one of those, very pretty. Found a mail order house with it.

tlm, that is a pretty white passy, incarnata alba? I've had hummingbirds the last 3 days, who hoo! Butterflies galore too. My plants seem to be getting along with new growth despite the caterpillar onslaught.

Darren

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Quote from sugarweed :
Gracie, I use ammonia on those little fire ant bites applied with a q-tip ASAP.

Gracie your plants are gorgeous.

Sidney, thank you! Peter suggested I scratch the heck out of them to open them up and then apply alcohol, but my method worked, although slowly. Will keep your suggestion in mind, to be sure.

I have a few I'd love to share with you if you're ever over this way........miss seeing you, Sidney!

My Durantas are doing awesome, and especially like the fact that they are disease free, insect free, and put on such a beautiful show. I'm training one of mine to drape on either side and keep it short in the middle. I'll take pictures a bit later.

The Duranta is super easy to propagate with cuttings. I cut & planted 4 and all 4 took. Mine a super full of berries this year.

So good to be back home. Even the heat & humidity feel wonderful after tht chilly week up north.

Hope we get some rain................need a good excuse to not be out pulling weeds!!!!

Went out this morning to see what was blooming! What I found was a lot of deadheading that needed to be done, and this was the prettiest thing "blooming" in my garden!
Now to go back out to do that deadheading!

This message was edited Aug 7, 2013 8:38 AM

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1

Tara - i have the black bf over here also. They moved in last week.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Have loads of zebra longwings this year but very few if any monarchs.

I also use amonia for fire ant bites. I keep large spray bottle in garden all the time cause it seems I always get into their teritory. I spray them right away and sometimes they don't even blister.

Bonnie

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I have loads of the zebra longwings also who love the firecracker bush and jatropha.

Saw a couple of monarchs early on, but not too many as of late......must get a milkweed.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Quote from BonnieGardens :
Have loads of zebra longwings this year but very few if any monarchs.

I also use amonia for fire ant bites. I keep large spray bottle in garden all the time cause it seems I always get into their teritory. I spray them right away and sometimes they don't even blister.

Bonnie

I'll have to get one of my empty spray bottles and fill it with ammonia.

Jacksonville, FL

Bonnie,

Try apple cider vinegar instead of ammonia for the ant bites. Yolie keeps spray bottles filled with the vinegar and she never blisters from their bites. She's constantly fighting fire ants, our neighbors won't treat for them and they do migrate. Vinegars smells better too.

So excited! I've had this plant for 2 years now. This is it's first bloom. 1st pic was taken yesterday late afternoon, and 2nd just this morning.

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1

That's what I call a triple Datura, or thorn apple.
My RV park down here on Taylor Creek has been sold.
I will be waiting to see whether I can stay here or not before asking for some seed.
Headed to Jax tomorrow to check out my jungle. Do a smack-down tomorrow.
Sidney

Tara - Very pretty!!!! be sure to remove the seed pods when they form to keep it blooming!!!!

Sydney - sure hope you can stay. Know how well you like it down there.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh yes, I'm loving the Apple Cider Vinegar for other things also.

I've been plagued with fruit flies.......yes, the fruit is in the fridge.......I put a 1/4-1/2 cup of the ACV into a glass container of sorts with a drop of dish soap, and voila. They fly in but can't come out.

Those buggers bite, too! Can't imagine how they got in, but they're going out fast.......

As far as the ammonia, dh was bitten the other day, scratched the bite open, and applied the ammonia.....it burned for a bit, but the itching stopped......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.