Plants blooming today (Continued) #3

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

New thread as requested, we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1315518/#new

Share your pretty blooming plants here for all to see.....

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Tarpon Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Passiflora Amethyst aka Lavender Lady blooming nicely.

Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Beautiful blooms.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Today there are 3 blooms on the TX Star. I need to get the camera out there - after I spread the mulch!!!!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I have Passiflora "Lavender Lady", too but mine is chewed to pieces! But that's the price I pay for all the butterflies in the yard. Good thing those plants rebound quickly! This will give me an opportunity to trim it back and get it on a trellis rather than have it smothering my firebushes like it's currently doing.

Melanie

Orlando, FL

Frogs n Flowers are blooming today
First flower is so common I forgot what it is and a cuban tree frog. His butt seems to be stuck.
Mexican sunflower
Canna
This pic kinda matched and its too cute not to share

Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna

My yard is full of frogs & geckos. All appear to be very well fed.
My Mexican Sunflower is vining all over the place but has yet to bloom.

Need to remember to get trellis for a few other vining plants that are now large enough to train.

Darren that is a very pretty passi, I have the purple, Maypop I think they call it. But like Melanie's right now it is stripped naked. There are still butterflies flying around it, think they're waiting for new growth...lol.

Melanie (Locoluna) pretty blooms, nice that your M. sunflower is blooming, I still see nothing on mine yet. They are such a pretty deep bright orange. Like the frog, I never see that kind in my garden...just cool. The one in the flower I think is the Cuban frog and I know you don't like to kill things...but it may eat that cute green frog eventually.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Such beautiful blooms! sunkissed…what is the bloom in your initial post? Very pretty! That Lavender Lady is stunning, and I love the frogs. Lets hope and pray that the ugly(kinda cute) brown one doesn't find and eat our native green!

Orlando, FL

Sunkissed, I saw the red eyed tree frog at the pet store. He was checking me out. So... I had to take a pic. He was so cool that I had to share. I wish I had those in my yard.
Very pretty purple passi!!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I hate to kill things too, but I kill every Cuban Tree Frog I find. My dad even gave me a big piece of wood to use as my whacking board. I've noticed since I've been on my eradication kick, the green tree frogs have suddenly reappeared as well as the green anoles. I hadn't seen a green tree frog in years! I'm also one of those anti-invasive species people whether it be plant or animal.

Melanie

Orlando, FL

Agreed. The one in the yellow flower would be a frozen crossage (in the freezer) And...it just so happens that I am currently raising green anole hatchlings. I hope to give them a head start. The cuban anole babies are everywhere. Not a single green baby to be found. M~

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a bunch of baby anoles around right now, too. Mostly in my bromeliads. It always makes me wonder when they breed - do they have a set season or is it just any time it's warm enough? That's so cool that you're raising the green anoles; I never knew anyone who raised lizards!

Melanie

Sunflowers looking happy
View down the fenceline

Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter

Melanie, really? You sure you haven't been in my yard? My p.amethyst is over growing its pot, all over my firecracker bush and not on a trellis, LOL. It is the only one I've allowed to do as it pleases so far. The rest are under control.....for the time being.

sunkissed, I feel for you. I found Gulf Frit cats in my garage, munching away at my newest cuttings. I am vigilant checking them a couple times a day but overlooked the plants in my garage (aka greenhouse). One plant was completely leafless.

locoluna, you have to be the coolest mom, growing baby lizards amongst all those gorgeous blooms!

Qwilter, are those canna in the 2nd pic, they look huge?

Yes............a few are taller than the 6' fence. I put them in just a couple months ago. I love any & all cannas.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

My passiflora "Lavender Lady" got so thick the poor firebushes were covered. Dad trimmed it back but there was still one firebush that grew taller than all the rest seeking the light. Now the passiflora is all chewed up and the firebush are happy again. My passiflora is in the ground or I would move it to a better location. I still might try to dig it up later in the year and put it somewhere else. I guess I didn't think about how big it would get. It went up my cherry tree, around my house and when it started peeking in the garage Dad drew the line and whacked it.

Melanie

Qwilter, I think they love you too. I've never seen one that tall before, maybe 5'. I've got some I've been trying to figure out where to put them.

Orlando, FL

Melanie...I don't know anyone either..lol...this is new to me. I found some eggs while tinkering in the yard. I thought it would be cool for my daughter to witness the hatching and then set them free. I figured that they would be cuban anoles. (I have so many of those) I told my daughter if any were green, maybe we can raise them,till they get bigger then set em free. To my surprise...six out of eight eggs hatched into little greenies!
Darren...I may be a cool mom but, I fear I not such a great housewife. Lol...more of a big kid. M~

I had Cannas in MD along the front porch. I think the foundation & fall leaves protected them. Started with 4 and every year i was giving tubors away. I need to go look for the pic of then blooming and covered in snow. Some of those were over 8' tall. Some of these tubors came from MD.
I find my red/orange ones are tall and the yellow shorter, but better bloomers

Tara the flower is a geranium, when I saw it in the spring I loved the different coloring and had to have it.

Darren, last year we were driving on Hwy 98 in the panhandle and you would not believe how many Gulf frits were up there along the hwy. Unfortunately we were in our motorhome and many ended up in the grill. :(

Locoluna, I wondered about that frog, isn't that the coolest pet shop? I need to just stop in there again and look around. Been awhile since the boys were little that I've been there. Hope the baby anoles ate the crickets.

My red passiflora is taking over the whole yard since nothing eats it, soon if you look down on Google maps, all you will see is red passion vine. I'm chopping it back next week.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I can't believe that I didn't recognize a Geranium! I guess it was that coloring that threw me off. It is beautiful! And it looks very very happy!

Orlando, FL

First pic...sleeping babies
The runt
Last 3 pics...just hatched late last night.A spunky little guy

Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna

Yoo cool.................baby lizards/geckos.
I have a Grand Dad molting. He's taken up residence in a lg palm out back.

Orlando, FL

Those old guys are great. They just look at ya as if to say "I'm the wise old anole and stay off my turf man!"
Sherri...when I am out of crickets, we can meet at pet bazarre. I will bring treats ;)
I did not recognize that geranium either! I have that one...it is blooming...however, Yours does indeed look very happy.

sunkissed, I don't have far to go to see Gulf Frits, LOL, tons in my yard. I went out just before our 2nd rainfall today to inspect my plants and found my passiflora pallida had two cats on it, one gulf frit and a white one. I know somebody told me already what it could be but I've forgotten. You should start some cuttings from your red passy and offer them to others. Your red must be p.vitifolia, the butterflies seem to pretty much leave mine alone too.

While inspecting my plants of course the Gulf Frits were just taunting me by laying more eggs, haha. I got my first fruit off of a passiflora loefrengii x caerulea today. Felt very light but it had what appeared to be at least 10 or so viable seeds. My musical notes clerodendrum is loving this weather, blooming like crazy.

locoluna, those are just too cute. Do we ever grow up? I think when you take life too seriously it just sucks the life out of you.

Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

What a great photo of a Gulf Frit ovipositing! And your white caterpillar is a Zebra Longwing, our state butterfly. And that plant really does look like musical notes, how cool!

The anoles are super cute, too Locoluna!

Melanie

locoluna, just so cute, so lucky to find the green anole eggs. I've not seen my green anoles in awhile, hope they're still around and just too much vine to find them. I'm seeing lots of brown baby anoles, though. Just give me a call when you need to do a cricket re-stock. I forgot the name of the shop, yep, that is the one my boys used to get their baby mice from for a pet snake. Glad they got over that faze. :)

Darren what a great shot of the Gulf frit, and I've never seen that plant before, really interesting flowers. I am trying to root my red passi clippings, so far only one has taken and growing new growth. They must not be too easy to propagate. I'm car-less today and may get out and do some more trimming if the rain holds off.

What about the rain yesterday evening!? We had company and were grilling, boy did the guys get soaked, even under an umbrella. I think that storm covered the whole state...radar image was pretty awesome.

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Good Morning! Here is a new picture of our Coralbush (jatropha multifida) bloom, maybe the seeds will germinate this time around.

Thumbnail by tony9779

That Coral bush is intersting.
My Coral Bean just produced 2 beans that are about the color of your flowers.

Storm just came thru. I won't be mowing grass this afternoon!!!!

Praying for no rain today and tomorrow. Having the house re-roofed, I can't tell you what a treat it is to sit inside and hear all the thundering up top. My nerves are shattered today. I tried to go outside but it is horribly hot.

We haven't had any measurable rain for two days and some of my plants are wilting. I was forced to get the hose out. Boy have we been spoiled for a couple of weeks, daily rains.

Sunkissed, the musical note clero is not a rare plant but it seems not many nurseries offer it in central Florida. I don't even remember where I got mine but one of my local nurseries say they have a hard time propagating it, I don't. Far easier than Micheala Alba. P.vitifolia isn't as easy as most passiflora but it can be done. I have friends who say they root it in water, but I can't, LOL.

Darren

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Darren, love the Musical Notes! I've had a couple of them, but they don't last for me. Eventually they fade away into the flower beds and I forget I ever had one. ; ]

Amaryllisgal, I think it is one of those water loving plants. All those blooms are gone now that we've had no rain for 3 days. If it gets a little bigger I'll like it but it is barely 12-16 inches at the moment.

Two of my passiflora blooming this week. P.Sanguinolenta (pink) two days ago and P.Pallida today.

Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida
Orlando, FL

Darren...those passion are cute! Especially the pink. Is your musical note in full sun?
Tony...are the seeds difficult? I have a couple seeds but, I do not know anything about this plant other than the fact that...I really dig it!
The baby anoles ARE too cute. Hubby said...the lizard habitat is my new TV? ha...ha..I am enjoying them. Housework is far less interesting.

locoluna, I have the musical notes sitting in my front yard, it gets a break from the late afternoon til evening from some western trees I have.

Darren

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Tony, thanks for the pic, I now know what I have. It has bloomed a couple of times. Is a water hog but guess its because its in direct sun.
Do they thrive better in the shade?
Bonnie

Bonnie,

Welcome back. I trust your surgery went well?

Darren

Day Lilies are blooming like crazy up here in Mass!!!!! 70 for the high today. Sure glad I packed some heavy clothes.

Nice bloom tony and thanks for the info Darren and I really like the pink passi.

Melanie, I agree on the housework, such a bore, I can think of much better things to do with my time. ☺

My Spider lily is blooming, caught a good close up of a cardinal in the bushes while out bike riding, he looks ticked off at me. A few wildflowers on the trail where I bike ride, have no clue what any of them are????

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Oh and almost forgot, good to see you back Bonnie and typing normal again. ☺

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.