Morning Glories 2013 #05

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We were here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1318275

My BMN is open this morning, so happy to see it.

Thumbnail by patootie
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Love all the blooms!

(Zone 7a)

Happy 4th of July :)

Thumbnail by bluespiral

Karen, Beautiful blue waterlily, capensis?

(Zone 7a)

Jackie, it came as Dauphin a few years ago, and there was a species name which was similar, but I can't find anything on it now with a quick Google search. It's relatively shade tolerant and can be grown in a container the size of a brandy glass to anything larger - viviparous too. But, as Debra once said, it "fwoze."

Our current aquatic victim is Margaret Mary which so far is blooming beautifully in its temporary laundry basin among Christmas roses running amok beneath box elders.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2013 6:50 PM

Blue, I remember a Daubin that was in one of the Water Lily catalogs. It was small and
tropical. Dauphin might be an offspring. I lost one of the blues many yrs go. I should have set up a small tub in the g house and it could have wintered there safely, Hindsite and all that.....

(Zone 7a)

Jackie, you're right - this is Nymphaea x daubenyana 'Dauben' - not Dauphin. I would love to grow this one again, due to the $-saving attribute of being able to grow an offset in a small glass jar over winter, from where the leaf meets the "stalk" - that has worked fine in the past with just winter window light - not to mention the shade tolerance and adaptability to small containers all summer.

Karen, someone here at Daves might be growing it. I ordered sds one yr for a blue but
I didn't have any luck trying to grow the small blue from sd. I found seeds at Chilterns in England.
My last order from them was incinerated by customs. :-(

szarvas, Hungary

This year it starts very .... very slowly!
Sequence: seeking pollen ....desperately !

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Very pretty Dany, the fourth one is real nice!

(Zone 7a)

Dany - boo to the Powers that Be for so little pollen on such gorgeous morning glories!

(To newbies - there are a couple of diagrams in the sticky index, under Morphology, of a morning glory that show where the pollen is, which is on the anthers. There are 5 anthers that carry the pollen and that are located around the stigma in the middle - http://www.cs.umb.edu/~whaber/Monte/Plant/Conv/conv-part.html . The sticky index also has a section on pollination which shows how this works.)

Jackie - Big Ouch on customs incinerating Chiltern's seeds, which imho has a selection without par in other American vendors that I know about. Hopefully next year I'll be able to do a search for the Dauben again.

My late-germinated morning glories are vining and there are more to get into the ground and away from each other's tendrils - gonna be in the 90s and humid today - easier on the flowers than on the human

Oops Luvs - we crossed - Dany's #3 is calling to me

This message was edited Jul 6, 2013 7:41 AM

Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Dany! I like them all.

It's raining cat's and dog's here so there will be no mg's for me today.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I am confused- my MGs are all in the same conditions, but only one group is blooming- (1st photo)- they have small skimpy leaves, and the other two trellises have nice big leaves but no blooms-the middle one is showing some, but the lush one on the left only has very tiny (3rd photo) clusters of tiny buds which fall off. The stems have big growths that almost look like thorns- is that the things that grab to climb? If all I am going to get is leaves they are coming up fast! Any help is welcome.

Thumbnail by JoParrott Thumbnail by JoParrott Thumbnail by JoParrott

Dany, I favor # 1 and # 5 but all are beauties.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Jo are they all the same kind?

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I sprouted several varieties and tried to mix them so there were each in all 3-

szarvas, Hungary

1 - 2 ... for this flower .... a tag ! .... of course !

I was surprised to see that the purpurea with variegated foliage makes flowers SHIRO MURASAKI SHIBORI KONGO!
I will give seeds ... who want to!

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Dany would love if you could save me a few seeds!

Gautier, MS

Beautiful Dany. Me too, I would love a few seeds.

I would love to have some also please? Beautiful!

Me too if you have a few left Dany. :-)

Another BMN open this morning.
My Plumeria still blooming. I've repotted 4 more trying to get blooms.

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
(Zone 7a)

me too, Dany, if you have enough to go around

Gautier, MS

Pretty blooms Jackie, both very nice.

I hope the rain goes away for awhile. My seedlings are not happy.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Morning everyone! Did you all survive the 4th?
Love all the beautiful blooms! I have one to share, and I hope the colors shows true for you? it is a beautiful soft mauve/chocolate...

Thumbnail by taters55

Lovely blooms Helena and Linda.

Helena, is the 1st bloom the beautiful no Mai?? So pretty.

Linda, yours appears to be Mauve Splash, one of my favorites

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Linda, I love the color!

Gautier, MS

I agree with Jackie, pretty Mauve Splash.

Thanks for the name, it is Dany's seed #4.

It does look a lot like Mauve Splash,wonder if that's how Mauve Splash originated?

Tony's Pink Tye Dye #4 in an 8oz cup, so pretty in pale pink.

Thumbnail by patootie
szarvas, Hungary

Hmm ! ... in fact it is an hybrid whith Black King !
1 - here a totaly Mauve splah .... but a petunia !
2 - this year, we are late for everythings.
3 - finely drawn!
4 - colors .... I love!
5 - "Mauve splash" has many different forms ... here with an occasional patch of white.

Thanks for the info Dany!
Beautiful!

Dany, Mauve Splash is a beautiful Morning Glory. I love all of its different looks.
Beautiful blues. :Looking forward to all of your lovely blooms.

(Zone 7a)

Dany - the Japanese bred MGs to look like fringed Dianthus and incurved Chrysanthemum, so why couldn't a MG be bred to look like your petunia? What a beautiful dream to wish for :)

Love everyone's flowers.

szarvas, Hungary

Six stars purpurea .

Dany, those are beautiful!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous Dany!

(Zone 7a)

Dany, thank you especially for #1 - am starved for blue sky. It's been raining/drizzling here for weeks just like it did when Dad was stationed in Germany long ago. Am enjoying your glories while we wait for ours to bloom.

Beautiful split petaled purpureas Dany.

Gautier, MS

Pretty tie dye Jackie from Tony's seed. It's been raining so much here that I had to take my new seedlings into the gh.

Gorgeous blooms Dany, am enjoying them all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.