Irish Gardens (and more?)

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

So we got back from our 12 day trip to the Republic of Ireland, mostly touring from east to west along the south. I promised to post some pics of the gardens we saw.

These first 5 are from Muckross House, in Killarney, Co. Kerry. It is a mid-19th c estate with acres of gardens and carefully planted woodlands. More to come.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2013 7:18 PM

Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars
Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

More from Muckross House. We were there on May 14, and everywhere one looked there were rhodies (huge!) and azaleas just ready to burst out. Rhodies, in fact, are considered invasive there, because they just grow like wildfire.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2013 7:17 PM

Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars
Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, more Muckross! Note the strange plants in the first and last pics. These appeared at other places we visited around the Ring of Kerry. I don't know if they are 'native' or just happily spread on their own. The distance picture shows just the end of the enormous glasshouse. There is a smaller walled garden by it, but it seemed to be in between tulips and whatever comes next, so I don't think I took a picture.

By the way, everything I've shown so far, other than the fourth pic below falls within another vast wall that encircles the property. Go outside that and one discovers a vast woodland system. We did not venture very far because we thought we might get lost!

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, enough Muckross House (though I'll throw in pics of Ross Castle and of Muckross Abbey also on the Ring).

The next garden scenes are from Kylemore Abbey in Connemara, Co. Galway. It was originally a private house but is now occupied by Benedictine nuns who are restoring the gardens, including a walled Victorian garden. The Victorian garden once had 21 glasshouses, all connected so the ladies could stroll in the colder months, and which provided the House with bananas and other tropical fruits as well as fresh vegetables year round. They have only rebuilt a few, but are working on funding to complete the reconstruction.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you for sharing the photos, Sissy.

I have never been to the Republic of Ireland, but I have spent quite a lot of time in the UK. I love their beautiful gardens and the landscape. Every surface is green there, including vertical surfaces and slopes. The climate is very favorable too. What a wonderful place for gardens and gardeners!

The big plants in the first and the last photos of your 3rd post are Gunneras. They are the biggest plants I have ever seen in my life, except for trees of course :o). I wish I could grow one in my garden, but my garden is not anywhere near a pond or a stream. They need a lot of water.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2013 8:18 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Sissystars: I love your photos -- what a trip it must have been!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

So pretty! thanks for sharing

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Sissy thank you so much just loved the pics and tour. What strange plants those are, I wonder if someone on the Plant ID forum would know what they are?

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly, those are Gunneras. Very dramatic plants if you can plant them near a pond or stream. Or you can water them like crazy :-).

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Ah, I had heard of gunneras, but I think I had the wrong pic in my head of them. Thanks, Donner. We actually do have some pretty soggy spots, as well as a pond, but I wonder if our icky clay soil would be good for them. They are so exotic looking. I'm going to do some research and figure out if they were imports of the Victorian era or are more or less native in Ireland.

I have traveled to England and Scotland, as well, but I don't think I have ever seen any place as flat out GREEN as the Kerry and Cork areas of Ireland.

Here are some pics from St. Stephen's Green in Dublin.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

So, that was quick: definitely not native but a Victorian favorite. Since it never freezes in that are of Ireland, the plant does very well there.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Sissy, I also saw Gunnneras in Keukenhof in the Netherlands. They grew by a small lake. It is a lot colder there than the Mid Atlantic, but I do not know if the Gunneras were protected during the winter, maybe with a pile of mulch. If you have a soggy area in the garden, try this plant. I wish I could grow one in my garden. Am not anywhere near water :o(.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2013 1:24 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Donner, I have seen pics of Gunneras but usually just pics of the huge leaves. I had no idea that they looked like that when they were smaller.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Sissy, what gorgeous pictures! I'd love to visit Ireland someday. I remember how green GB was during my travels, but never got to go across to the other island.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thank you for the tour of a beautiful place.

Love that plant that had the purty, blue flowers. Stunning!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Sissy, I'd much rather tour the gardens than the pubs, more memorable. LOL That blue was lovely, anyone have an idea as to what it was?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for sharing. THose landscape shots are like paintings! Nice composition.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Sally, I appreciate that.

Jan23: If yo mean the shrub in the woodlands, it is some kind of rhodie/azalea. I have honestly never seen such a variety of those.

The woods are FULL of lovely harebells. Even my spouse was impressed by them. I could not get a good pic so I purchased a really nice photograph of them for his bday. My daughter said, "I can't believe Dad is so happy wit a picture of plants, Mom. What have you done to him>"

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thank you. That blue really stands out.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

So, my thread title, 'Irish Gardens (and more?)," was a subtle invite to those who would like to see other pics from Ireland.

So: castles, castle/manor house interiors, natural beauty/etc. Let me know f you want to see more pics!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh my goodness yes! Pretty please...

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Heehee. You have to ask? Of course is the answer!!

I love the ceiling in pic 2 and that ornamental hangy thing made with antlers is pretty cool and the area by the water and....

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Sissy, the 2nd pic is a photo of a painting, right? Almost looks real :-)

very interesting
The antlers with the mermaid- um who would have ever thought to make that?!? how bizarre yet impressive!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hmmmmmmm! I was wondering if it was possibly a merman?

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

@donnerville: If you mean the 2nd in the last set of pics, no! It's the interior of a room. Several rooms in that castle had similar amazing ceilings.

The hanging angel with antlers thing was a German fashion that the owners of the castle (one set of owners) liked and brought over. I think I have a photo of another one.

Back soon!

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Another of these 17th c German chandeliers, and some other pics. The last is a former bank in Dublin in which we had lunch.

Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Really enjoying the pictures, got to LOL at the beautiful ornate walls and ceiling with clock and that TV screen mounted up there. Just looks so out of place. Even the more modern table and chairs look funny in that beautiful room.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Some more from that gorgeous bar/bank. Last one is the sitting room of our hotel in Dublin.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

First one is yet another castle, looking at the "Murder Room.' Attackers would flood in, the portcullis pictured would come down behind them and another on the other side; then they just be slaughtered. Many of this type of 'defensive castles' also featured 'murder windows;' these were slots that allowed the defenders to rain down arrows/boiling oil/etc. on the invaders when they thought they were under cover.

Next 4 from another castle with some wonderful decorations

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

HollyAnn: I know, it was an mix of oddly juxtaposed things. The overall effect, however, was gorgeous.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

WOW those ceilings are just beautiful.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I am certainly enjoying this tour. Thank you

the price is right on this tour!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

sallg It's a Irish tour not Scot! LOL

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Hah! Did I mention my expectation that you will all chip in to offset our vacation costs? No?

Let's see what might be fun.

*Terrifying* stairwell in a defensive castle - at least this one had a window. They were designed so that right-handed defenders, coming down the stairs, had an advantage over right-handed attackers coming up the stairs. I kept thinking about women in long dresses and little kids getting up and down these things. Yikes.

Irish elk rack. These were, even when they adorned the ancient castle, relics found persevered in peat. The peat caused the blackening.

A castle something. :-)

Opening from a murder room.

Distance view from atop the castle.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Bah: 'preserved. '

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, What a great idea.

haha! Check is in the mail....

How smart to make the stairs turn that way. And yes I would be petrifired trying to creep down those stairs.

Wow what a rack!!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

You know the Washington Monument in Baltimore? on Charles Street?
It is like a needle--and, YES! There is a winding stairway in there to get to the top.
Not sure--but i think it is 121 steps. i may be wrong....
Round and Round we go---and where it stops--nobody knows.....Hey! I was right on the money!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60811-d109117-Reviews-Washington_Monument_and_Mount_Vernon_Park-Baltimore_Maryland.html

Bummer! This was the only 'watched" Thread that popped up just now.
The last thing I like to look at before I go to bed.....

SO--Adieu my pals....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ G.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.