Plants blooming today (Continued)

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1308236/

My philodendron blooming, these exotic flowers smell so good at sunset.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

I did it :-D

You all can now post your new blooms for all of us to see.

This message was edited May 30, 2013 9:54 PM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oooh…That is beautiful! I've got one in the far corner of my backyard…It has bloomed in the past, but I never knew it was fragrant! Seems that I should go out in the evening and do some detective work with my nose! Thanks for the new thread!

I go for my first visit with the surgeon today since knee surgery. I'm really hoping he'll give me the OK to get back out to my "weeding", uuh, "gardening"!! LOL! What a disaster my beds have become! Physical therapy has been going pretty well, so I'm hoping to get things cleaned up, and start sharing some pic's. :-)))

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

That looks like the worlds largest calla lily when it blooms. Ive never had mine bloom.

I noticed this morning my front bed is a real mess with weeds. Got to get that cleaned u PDQ. Since others see that, I try to keep it at least weeded.

I have two of these Phils right outside my back door so I smell them as soon as I walk outside. They only bloom in the spring as far as I know. You have to get close to smell them during the day, but at night they release such a sweet scent.

tim I'm sure you'll be back in the garden in no time and look forward to your photos. You'll have to post some before and after pics on the Spring and through the season board of your progress, so fun to see the before and after pics.

Three at once on the Philodendron the other night, and a smaller flower on my Caladium plant....don't see these bloom that often.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I am already a huge fan of your tropical courtyard Sherri. It reminds me so much of New Orleans and the many beautiful courtyard gardens my friends had there. (I had one too in a tiny space only 30x30) You really do need a Texas Star in there. I always have nice plants of these and the next time you are passing along the I-4 going East to Daytona, stop by and pick one up. I have the red and white, and will always have a pot to share with you. It would be fun to see a picture of one blooming next to that well maintained monstera, and know it came from my gardens in DeLand in the future!

David

Thank you David, honored to think my garden compares with courtyards in New Orleans. I have to keep that philodendron plant well trimmed as not to interfere with the husbands grilling station, he doesn't like to dodge those big leaves.

I had to look up the Texas star plant and realize that was one of the bloom of the day photos this past week. A very nice looking plant that I would like to have in my garden, however at a closer inspection I better keep that one in the back garden or someone might call the Po-po on me. ☺

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

And they do it well Sherri. Don't worry about those Texas Stars anywhere. The "Po-po's" will learn in time. HaHaHa!
Some interest seems to have been shared by Bonnie and others on the Chaste Tree or Monk's Pepper tree lately, so I thought I would share a few more pic's of mine. I won't need to share it again ( as I already have a few times ) this season as a center of attention in photos, but it will probably show up again in a long shot of the gardens somewhere through the seasons!...

David

The last picture is kind of redundant, but I caught one of those new Florida Police Drones flying up in the sky towards the center left above the largest flower spike...and no doubt looking to see if those Texas stars everywhere in my gardens are Cannabis sativa!

.....HaHaHaHaHa!,.......just kidding,.....but that bug flying up there is probably what they might look like from a-high!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL!!!! David… Love the "drones" flying over! Those Tx. Stars are beautiful! And, hmmm, what does that remind me of….hmmm…LOL! Love it…Wish I had room in my garden for that! Would love to make the neighbors wonder!

I spent this morning in my newest perennial bed…Front yard… Pulling dollar weed. Ugh… But I also was able to get a Rudbeckia planted…finally. Poor thing has been in a pot WAY to long…Talk about root bound!
I probably did more than I should have…Been icing my knee every hour since then….Oh well, it needed to be done. I'm sure I'll be paying for it for the next couple of days, but that's OK, 'cuz it surely needed to be done! I'll try to get some pics in the AM….SO much more yet to go!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

LOVE those pics of the chaste tree. I'm really looking forward to getting mine planted in the ground very soon. They are beautiful.

tlm1 you had better take it easy on that knee or could set your healing back a good while. I'm a good one to talk. Went back to work years ago after abdominal surgery in 2 weeks-next year had more surgery to cut out scared tissue I had caused by working too quickly. Dumb me.

Take care all.

Bonnie

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

tlm1 - I have some of those TX Stars!!!!! have not seen the drones over head - yet. Will gladly share as they multiply. I have some in the gound & some still in the pot so I can see where they will do best. Glad to hear you got out in the garden. Bags of frozen peas & corn make the best ice packs!!!! I had to label mine so I didn't accidentally cook them!!!! I have a really good concentrate spray on Dollar Weed killer. We can get together some day & I'll share. It only kills broad leaf weeds.

Have had company since Wed so have not been out keeping up with the weeds. If the rain holds off tomorrow I'll be out there - especially in the back.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Havent seen any drones here, but I see plenty of the ASO.
Funny how that does like alot like cannabis. Wonder what they use those drones for anyway.
Jean, I hope you and your friend had a great time while she was here. I have a feeling you did.

I had to go out this morn and check my Chaste tree as it is in a far back corner of the garden to see if it is getting blooms. It is starting the buds. Poor thing has to really reach out from under the other trees for some sun...think I'll trim back some of those trees today.
Your tree looks wonderful David, glad you posted update photos of it.

I got a friend interested in a miniature garden after she saw mine. Well yesterday we went to Ron's Miniature Shop on W. Colonial in Orlando, more for doll houses but did have fairy garden miniatures and lots of little items that are cute for container gardens. What a fun shop to walk around. I got a few little items for my fairy/gnome garden, including a fairy, which I didn't have.

Here are a few more blooms from this past week around my garden...
rain lilies popped up all over, my bush clover, the lion's ear coming out again after a good trim back, my red russelia sarmentosa, firecracker plant.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

The Chaste tree and I thank you for liking her. Love the pics. Bush clover is something I need to look for.

It sounds like you are a Trooper tlm1, and am glad you got the drone thing! Heal soon...

I have things blooming!!!!!

1) Have had this Lantana for years & it usually blooms orange & yellow. This year it is red & orange. Waiting for the hummers to discover it.
2) My Coral Bean is finally showing some "life". Got him a couple months ago & thought he had died.
3) purple & white Passion vine is full of buds. Can't wait till they start popping open.
4) My Red Pagoda is finally starting to bloom!!!!! He moved in last year & never did too much. There is also a baby off to the side.

Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I personally just love lantana. My lantana tree is in full bloom and I just am enjoying the heck out of it.

David you're welcome to some of my bush clover, not easy to find in the nurseries.

Q, the coral beans always go bare in the late winter months, you have a nice looking one there, when it does start to flower, they come first and then the leaves. I just got a pagoda plant from a DG friend in DeLand, didn't realize it would start blooms this early...that is exciting...you'll have to post a picture when the flowers are completely out for us. Nice clump of Lantana. looks like "Dallas Red". They can go from mauve, to yellow to orange to red.

My blood lily is finally starting to open...I just got it last year so first time blooming in the garden, looks like I'll have two flowers.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

POURING here.....................no gardening happening today.

The Coral Bean had a long brown "bean" on it when I got it. The lady warned me it would multiply and that is fine with me. My gardens are so sparse and I need more "free" plants!!!!

Keep forgetting to go and look at my Flowering maple. It was full of buds last week.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Has anyone rec'd an e-mail with a pic of what looks like a white with black spots mosquito but claims to be a surveylance drone for neighborhoods. Supposed to be high tech development.

Tell me it ain't so!!!

Bonnie

LOL...I think it bit the heck out of me today, huge welts on my arms. Probably got a DNA sample. ☺

Nice pictures everyone...

I was looking out the window yesterday & noticed a splash of color against the fence. During a break in the rain I went over & found a "blooming stick". Actually a hibiscus that we planted over 5 years ago that has never done anything. I propped the lovely, appricot colored, frilly bloom up against the sprinkler pole. And found a cluster of buds.
I think I need to move it to an area where it will get more sun. Mostly shade on that side of the yard.

That's nice Q, I have one like that coloring and the flowers are ruffled. I have a pink Miami hibiscus that hasn't had a bloom in three seasons now, I sure hope it does this year. It didn't freeze down at all, so fingers are crossed.

Boy is it ever pouring down rain out there, I still have seedlings from some recent trades and put them under protection two days ago, had to move some succulents under protection too.

I wish I could get out and look at my blood lily, bet it is completely open now...maybe there till be a lull in the rain here soon.

Hope this storm doesn't do any damage or flooding to anyone...stay safe.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I just went out and brought in all the daylilies I had blooming. Its about the end of bloom season, and I dont want to miss a minute. Ive got pods set on most of mine, so they most likely wont rebloom. The agapanthus are still in full swing, but it looks like they cant hold up to much more of this rain hitting them. We need the rain tho, need it bad.
We got a basset hound resucue this weekend as part of the nationwide maddies fund adoption days. It hard to get her to go out in the rain, thats the only down side.
Alachua country was chosen to participate, as it is trying to become the first county in the state to have a no kill pound. Out basset was on the kill list because of heartworms and she was treated for free and all the adoptions were free this weekend. All dogs were spayed or neutered for free as well.
Glad the hibiscus decided to come out and say hi. They are one of my favorite flowers. Between them and daylilies, I need to find something that last more than a day to fill in.
I can see the hydrangeas blooming but havent been able to go out and look them over because of the rain.
Now is a good time to get the hummingbird feeders out as they cannot eat out of the flowers that the rain has got bent down or over.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Sherri,
You had me researching that Blood Lily, and what a beauty you have in your gardens!
Jean,
I have never cultivated the plethora of Lantanas that past owners here must have loved because they pop up everywhere still. Yours is especially attractive with all the denseness and tons of blooms. I'm going to work with them more now afterseeing your picture. It was good seeing more pictures from you. Very nice! I am noticing that what Sherri taught us is true. It seems the same lantanas are paler in shady areas in shades of pastels and brighter in the Sun. I moved one a few years back from a shadier area that was light yellow and pinkish and when it regrew in the Sunnier area it was hot bright shades of gold and red too!
I'm wondering;...is it normal for some daylilies greenery to start looking shabby after a hard bloom season directly afterwards?

David

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, to the last ?. I always hit them up with some milorganite and lots of water...not a problem these last few days. It gets so hot in FL., its hard to keep lots of them from going summer dormant. I planted some pineapple sage in front of mine when they started scaping. Now that they are about bloomed out the PS is tall enough, and blooming, and it kinda hides and shades them.

Hi Sunkissed,yeah we did get the rain but its coming from Texas and Arkansas.The rain has stopped for now,but it is still thundering.Well i hope you all stay safe their.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2013 1:56 PM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you for sharing that information GG. I'm glad to know it wasn't me. Its only one certain group, and now I know!

I just came in from "playing" in the rain. Guess my 6' tall sun flower got too wet & top heavy and bent over. She is now staked to a bamboo pole & then both are tied to the fence. I sure hope she survives. 1 flower blooming & then lots of buds. If the main stalk down't make it I'm hoping all the shorter stalks will still live. I
And I just picked 3, nice size, ripe tomaotes. Lots of bugs out there on the tomato plant but not sure what I can use with all this rain still coming down.

Hi southgal, nice to see you visit the Florida forum, are you thinking of moving to Florida??? LOL. Glad some rain came your way, this storm is just a nice rain maker, which we need.

I Just had a little break in rain and walked around and everything looks fine, kind of windy out there but besides a few sticks from the trees no big deal. I'm just bored of being inside, did all the housework I can handle for one day.

My blood lily is completely out but on the ground like Q's sun flower is from the water weight. But I got a picture between downpours.

Hi Sunkissed,i was in that state 2 years ago for a visit.We went to D-world.It is such a pretty state though.

I am glad the rain did not do no damage their.

Cody

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

My beautiful Australian canna finally bloomed, and broke in half during the storms.... Oh well, it's pretty in a vase too! :)

Sorry to hear about your plant.It has started raining here again.

I've had a TX Rose for years. It bloomed profusely every summer. I took it in for the winter. All the leaves would fall off, and come summer I'd get new leaves & lots of flowers.

A couple years ago it produced seed pods - the pose were almost longer than the plant was tall.]. Since than, it has done nothing but sit. No leaves; no flowers. Even after we moved down here - nothing. A couple weeks ago I noticed a few leaves. This AM it has 3 buds!!!!!! Wonder if it takes that long to recooperate after setting seed pods? I'm just thrilled it has come back to life.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

After yesterdays rain everything seems happy this morning. Its purple and white day!

1- Double Purple Datura
2- White Datura
3- Guara
4/5- Morning Glory Bush.

Keep up the good growing!

David

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

I received more lovely plants and clippings from another generous DG friend, we had fun spending the day together shopping at the local nurseries getting more plants, like either one of us needed anymore ☺. So today I have more garden work to do, not that I mind that at all.

MerryMary glad you were able to enjoy the Australian canna in a vase. The rains have been pounding my seedlings into the ground and I lost a few, but now putting a beach umbrella over them for protection. So crazy, but I know the rain is making everything so beautiful.

David I'm glad you posted the Double Purple Datura and the Morning Glory Bush, both are so beautiful and I have seedlings growing of both that I received in trades. Nice to see what they're going to look like, hopefully. ☺

My blood lily fully open now and some of the Caladiums around the garden, they're always a nice surprise since I forget where they are.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

AHHH....Blood Lily. I call them firecracker lilies, mine are blooming too.
The rain has really given my pinecone gingers a boost. I adore and am crazy about pinecone ginger.

Caladiums and gerbera daisy and stokes aster...these multiply nicely

Thumbnail by gardenglory Thumbnail by gardenglory Thumbnail by gardenglory
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Yesterday's rain was insane! I'm not sure what kind of storms you all got, but here it was the kind that took down branches and made us wonder if we should be moving into the bathtub! Lightening was hitting right next to the house, it was pretty nerve-wracking for a while. And today is just as sunny as can be. :) Go figure...that's Florida!

Wow, MerryMary that is really something...we had it swirling around us last night and heard the constant distant thunder, got an inch and half of steady rain but it wasn't that bad here. I thought it was going to be, because the sky was so black and eerie. Glad you're okay though.

GG I really like that Gerber, never seen one that coloring. Pretty Pink...I like pink.

I was out trimming and hacking stuff back, mostly the Podocarpus trees, so glad I have an outdoor shower because I was so dirty. It did rain on me at one point, then the sun was back out, but the rain felt so good I just kept working in it. Somebody close by was getting rain because I could hear the thunder.

It was overcast up here most of the past 2 days but we've just had a bit of drizzle.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.