Got my first plants on order!!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I doubt I'll be able to do much planting and setting up flower beds this year, BUT, I can change out all the boring shrubs! So, I have 15 rose bushes on order, 2 fig trees for containers & 2 butterfly bushes from a friend of mine in TX - just ordered a Hansa Rugosa (had one growing up in Norway, extremely fragrant and hardy) - a Mock Orange and a Hydrangea - I've attached a few pix to show you how boring the front is - need color!!! We hired a lawn & handyman - he'll dig and plant the roses for me and also help with the landscaping come fall - I'm thinking birches, bradford pears or something fast growing and shady!! The front is perfect for the sunloving roses - it's sunny and hot all day until late afternoon :) sprinklers will take care of watering :)

I also found really big, bright blue pots at Homegoods and will plant annuals and place them on both side of entry to give it some color

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

yay!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Becky - glad to see that you are having fun planning your gardens. Starting with a clean slate leaves you with so many options. We sure did miss you at the spring plant swap!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm so jealous with all of your room!!! Great mix of plants!! LOVE IT!! Ok...'uncle.' Where did you order your Hansa Rugosa from? I have to have one now!! Then I'll have 2 plants that remind me of you in my yard!!

Hmmm...I didn't see a sweet olive on your list of shrubs...come on now..you'll LOVE that one!!!! Hugs!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

the thought of a clean slate is quite appealing! Can't wait to see how it progresses.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Becky, Becky, Becky! I knew you couldn't stay plantless for long! And bravo to your own gardener/handyman. And big bright blue pots will look so fine (and are hard to come by you shopper you.)

I too am interested in the Hansa rose, sounds wonderful.

And I am sure a number of us would volunteer to ship bulbs to you from the group buy Jill is organizing. Got to keep those gardeners busy! Check out Jill's thread here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1314389/

Also, remember that many of us have many plants to share with you and would be honored to do so...Is there a chance you could come up for a swap? We are getting pretty good at them!

As always, hope you are settling in well to new environs and people. Looks like you will be the landscape envy of your new neighborhood.

Off to buy some dirt.

Judy

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I have only found Hansa Rugosa at one nursery and that's Nature Hills, I ordered a 3 gallon size ($$$$), but, they have a great Memorial Day sale - my mother planted this one right after I was born at our "family cabin" and it's still going strong - it'll take a LOT of work to become the landscape envy in our division - there is some stunning landscaping to see!!!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I think I saw that but then ck'd Watchdog - was s/h horrible?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Not really, considering I ordered 2 & 3 gallon sizes...shipping was $23.95 - I have always been happy with them, sometimes I ignore Watchdog :)

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow, Becky, what fun! I wish I'd know what I know now when I first started with this house. You have the luxury of all your gardening experience, plus a clean slate!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Awesome progress it seems!!! Shopping, shopping, ordering, lining up gardener/handyman. Woohoo!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beck your plans sound great and glad to hear all that ambition, imagination, and vision at work. Would have been nice if you could have struck a deal with the contractor on the (usually finance required ) foundation plantings (usually sub- contracted). I also want to ensure you are aware of http://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/avoid-invasive-trees-such-bradford-pear-landscape-plantings . There are sooo many beautiful southern trees, soooooooo many fragrant southern trees, I have tree potential envy. http://www.tytyga.com/Flowering-Trees-s/1829.htm and http://homeguides.sfgate.com/star-magnolia-tree-39492.html . Then there is just majestic ! as seen at Lee's Hq. in Colonial Heights, Va. "The world's second largest "cucumber tree" or Magnolia acuminate spreads its massive undulating deciduous branches across the grounds. Planted in 1833, the tree's girth is 21.5 feet."

Thumbnail by Ric_of_MAF
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yay, Becky! We had low junipers, euonymous, and spirea in the foundation bed when we moved in (didn't have the option to change them out or get credit for not having them put in). I really did a happy dance when the last of them came out! There are some ornamental pears that are stronger than bradford pears (in addition to other issues, they are notoriously weak trees, prone to dropping limbs on cars and porches)... the one we have in front (only remaining plant put in by the builder) isn't a bradford, but I don't remember what variety they said it was!

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

This is going to be so fun watching your yard develope. We get all the joy without any of the work.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

As Coleup commented, Becky, I think you can confidently join the fun on the fall bulb buy thread... I'm quite sure I can twist somebody's arm and get your bulbs mailed down to you! :-)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

That's awesome Becky!!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

What a score - there is a little nursery not far from the house, found the Gardenias I've been looking for and for a 3 gallon it was $19.99 - got 2 large for the front and 3 smaller ones for the patio @ $6.99 - they are healthy and full of buds! Here's to me not killing them!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric -- Watch out for the TyTy nursery: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1167494/?hl=tyty.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Quote from happy_macomb :
Ric -- Watch out for the TyTy nursery: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1167494/?hl=tyty.

Here is the list.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ratevend/msg0518562923780.html

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I wasn't recommending TyTy as a business, didn't even think that way. I used it as an example of the variety available to southern more gardeners. Please forgive the pas faux, next time I'll try and use a plant list from an approved source.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric: We didn't mean to be critical of you -- just to alert everyone that that particular nursery hides behind a long list of marketing names and, regardless, gets horrible reviews.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I was just curious to look it up and then shocked. No harm.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

The following was 'horseshoe's' words of wisdom re growing Gardenias. He's given his permission previously to share with folks. As you know Bec, I don't use Miracle Grow any more - but that's a personal choice. I have edibles (herbs) in the front yard and like to stick to the basic stuff.

MAY 2007 – GARDENIA CARE by horseshoe

What I normally tell my customers at the Mkt is to plant them where they get a bit of sun (the more sun, the more flowers) but yet in an area where the Winter winds won't blow on them, thereby dessicating them. In the past I've heavily mulched them to protect their roots but those that were being wind-whipped it didn't really help..the winds just pulled all the moisture out of them.

If you haven't already planted I'd recommend you water them in with some fish emulsion rather than feed them the Hollytone right away. That will get them off to a good start but yet not chance any burn of new roots that will be developing soon. After 10 days or so then lightly broadcast your Hollytone on the surface of the soil and scratch it in. (There is also a "Miracle Gro for Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron" food that is excellent for gardenias if you can't find the Hollytone.)

I wouldn't mulch right away, if you do it'll only block the sun from warming the soil and contribute to "cold feet", which is not what the newly-planted gardenias like. They need warm soil to encourage root growth as well as nutrient uptake.

As for the Epsom's salts, I use it sparingly, usually as a foliar spray to encourage flowering. However, if you are planning on using the sulphur to lower your pH plus using Epsom's directly in the soil they'll be competing with each other to do their job (Epsom's will tend to raise the pH slightly, thus my recommendation to use it more as a foliar spray, and do it when the plants are well on their way).

As for Hollytone vs Miracle Gro-etc...I've used both and have good results when using them at certain stages (and reasons).

Miracle Gro products are derived from "chemical ingredients" (and yes 'all things are chemical') but in this case I'm referring to the nutrients being offered are derived from Ammonium phosphate, Urea, Potassium phosphate, Chloride, Boric acid, etc (plus a few others). Those are readily available to the plant but don't tend to really contribute to the soil growth the plant is living in.

On the other hand, Hollytone (for acid lovers) offer its nutrients from more "natural" sources; Dehydrated manure, Feather meal, Crab meal, cocoa meal, corn gluten, cottonseed meal, dried blood, sunflower meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, greensand, etc. Those are sources that contribute to the life of the soil and tend to offer an ongoing/slower release nutrition. So....for me....

I used the Miracle Gro for a quick pick-me-up when plants are stressed or looking a bit sickly. The M-Gro can be applied foliarly and will immediately get to work helping the plant through stress and back to good health. I use the Hollytone for a more long-term feeding.

Lastly, remember, Miracle-Gro products have to be used every 7-14 days whereas the Hollytone is used only twice a year.

Hollytone works well without having to use the sulfur unless your soil is very alkaline, then you might want to incorporate some sulfur at planting time. However, as far as I know, more often than not alkaline soils tend to be further west than you; perhaps you might be in a special pocket that has alkaline soil?

Methinks you should pick up a pH analyzer (about $12 or so) and then you'll know. And of course, you can always incorporate sphagnum peat into your planting hole which will give you a lower pH.

I've not used Messenger and am one of those that don't see the need for it. There are quite a few threads on DG with the supposed pros and cons though.

As for ironite/adding iron to the soil or plants...if you use the Miracle Gro that has iron in it already so you should save yourself the expense of purchasing iron separately. Most soils are not iron-deficient but rather tend to bind up the availability of iron to the plant so people "short cut" it by applying liquid/chelated iron directly to the plant. Too much lime in the soil, raising the pH to a more alkaline state, will make the iron in the soil unavailable. For long term availability of iron using plenty of manure, dried blood, or compost would be your best bet.

Should you be losing your plants in the summertime then it could be due to a pH problem (they like a bit of acid pH) or could also be wet feet. They love a good bit of moisture but prefer good drainage. Not planting them too deeply will help, that way you can mound dirt/soil up and have it slope away from the main trunk, diverting water to the outer reaches.

Oh yeh, regarding sun exposure, yes, more sun more flowers USUALLY. The exception would be if you're in an extremely hot area where the plants would benefit from the shade during the hottest months of Summer. I have a gardenia on the northwest side of the house, gets very little direct sun but yet flowers like crazy most years. The only other placement I'd suggest is to put them where the Winter winds won't blow on them as it tends to dessicate them

This message was edited May 28, 2013 10:52 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That's really helpful, Chantell -- thanks for posting.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Your welcome, Devon...I figured if Shoes directions could keep mine alive for going on 6 years...anyone could do it. ^_^

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks!! I did really well with the Frostproof's in VA...the ones I just bought are staying in pots, at least for now - they'll get plenty sun, but not too, too much during the worst of the heat here...I won't plant anything until I get everything delivered, getting our lawn dude to do the digging :) Might just have to take pictures of said lawn dude - he's awfully cute! :)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Chantell - just wanted to let you know on Nature Hills again, I know they have crappy feedback, but I have been VERY lucky with everything they send me - just got the Mock Orange today, it's huge, about 3 feet tall and very healthy!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Good to hear..let me know when the rose comes in...please and thank you

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

The rose and Hydrangea just came in - box clearly marked plants and arrows pointing UP, very well packed, but the shippers must have played basketball with it - plants looks great tho!!!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Becky maybe you would be interested in a native azalea?!?

Rhododendron prunifolium is one of the showiest native azaleas and can grow up to 18 ft in height (Wilson and Reder 1921, Cox 1990, Dirr 1998). The clustered, brightly crimson-colored flowers bloom from Mid-july to mid-August, and occasionally in September (Foote and Jones 1994) . The flowers' stamens are very long and project beyond the flower. It is the most glabrous species of all American rhododendrons. Its leaves are alternately arranged on the stem in tight clusters, dark green above, light beneath, smooth (except for the small hairs on the margins). It was first collected by R. M. Harper in the early 1900's and first grown at the Arnold Arboretum in 1918.

Do your due diligence when purchasing, if you decide to. There aren't many in the wild according to this source. You'd be crazy not to get one!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

So where, pray tell, does one find a Rhododendron prunifolium?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Very nice!! I found a NC nursery that sells them and they have other great looking plants as well and good feedback :)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

See the last 2 nurseries on list

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What list? I must be missing something here....

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Sorry, forgot to post link - http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/go/2491/

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Becky, your Clematis Niobe is blooming right now! :)

When are you going to start ordering the clematises?

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Excellent!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

These ferns caught my eye from that nursery
Gemniforous Spikemoss
Peacock Moss
Southern Shield Fern

http://www.nichegardens.com/catalog/list.php?offset=10

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Not ordering much until recovered from surgery and treatment I'm afraid

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I DID pick up a Meyer's Lemon tree, full of lemons and flowers - it's sitting in the garage until I can plant it in a planter (I'll probably move it outside tomorrow tho) - I'll get some "wheels" for my planters for the winter, easier to bring inside that way :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.