Morning Glories 2013 # 03

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I love it that you all have blooms going, thank you.

hope everyone is stayng safe from storms.

here are some blooms from last year ..in May..hav'nt seen any of these out there yet, so far..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

we are still in May 2012 the Year "they were right there, I swear" ..LOL
*sigh*

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies. Love your blooms Jackie. I use to have a Juanulloa too. It's a hummingbird plant too.

Hope you get your blooms soon Linda and Debra. Your blooms from last year are really nice Debra. I can't believe how awful the weather has been this year for some of the country. Our hurricane season starts soon, they have been reminding us of it every day now.

All my blooms are repeats today. I have another tray of new seedlings going but it'll be another 6 weeks at least for blooms.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Helena. All of my MG vines on the fence are under water, Since DGS cleared away all the
lvs stacked up by the fence, theres nothing to hold back the water now, flooding
over from the dog yard. Very disappointing. I'll try to plant in pots and just sit the pots there now.

I'm thankful that my family is safe though from the horrible tornado's. We are under the threat
of storms all day here, so not out of the woods yet. Sending prayers and
hugs to the good people of Ok for what they've been thru this past week

Norfolk, VA

Thank y'all for y'all's compliments on my flowers. Here is "Orihime" and Jackie's "Akatsuki no Mai" Images 3-5 are cherry pink limonade.

Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Nice and healthy looking plants!

Tony, we'll be looking forward to your blooms. :-)

Gautier, MS

Very nice seedlings Tony. Looking forward to your blooms too.

Here's some of my baby seedlings ready to take off. This is my Pink tobacco blooms, a easy plant to grow for hummingbirds. A few mg's too.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Lovely blooms Helena. I really like your Pink tobacco tree blooms, very pretty in pink.

Beautiful blooms on the little red mg.

Look what I have to look forward to, finally a bud, (edited to change from bloom to bud) from one of my Plumeria trees. If I could remember to feed them
on a consistent basis, I would get steady blooms. This is marked white but one of the buds is now very pink, so hopeful
for a lovely pink bloom.

My fig tree/shrub getting huge, loaded with baby figs.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2013 12:12 AM

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

everyones plants and flowers are so pretty! I hope I get some figs, I have a lil tree, and my plummie is now 4 yrs old hope it does something this year.

first outside bloom morning glory wize was the shibouri from Karen ( bluespiral) she sent me way back when, and I have kept them going from her seed.

no pic, we all know what they look like right? :)

Gautier, MS

Very pretty blooms on your cardinal vine Jackie, your Plumeria and fig look great too. Use to have a huge fig tree evenmade fig marlamade once, one of the hurricanes took that tree down. I have bought a small one but can't figure out where to plant it since it canget huge here too.

These bloomed today.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Thanks Helena, Lovely blooms from your vines this morning. Love the understated color of the Blue Silk.

My fig tree, mine is a shrub, has that entire corner and its spread out more than 8 feet across.
Here's a pic of the baby figs on one branch only and the shrub is loaded. I love the natural taste of
the figs.

Tony's PTD Vine #2
Dany's #10

Send pics of your Shibori soon Debra. I've got one planted somewhere.

Beautiful blooms for a sad heart today. You guys know how to cheer me up. Sister went home with Hospice today. I am going down there wenesday to assess the situation. She was supposed to come here, but she changed her mind a month ago, so this will be a long journey for us both.. Dr gave us 2 weeks to two months. Knowing her, she will go the full 2 months, as she is only worried about her 18 yr old daughter who does not know what life is all about.
I hope my fig tree does something soon.

So sorry to hear that Debra! Sending lots of prayers!

Debra, heartbreaking news. God bless you for being such a wonderful sister.

Gautier, MS

That is heartbreaking news Debra, we"ll be praying for you and your sis. This is too sad.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Praying hard for both of you Debra ((((♥♥♥))))

Thanks , all, she just called me and asked me if she can come back with me to stay a few days and see everyone here.. ( we are the only family she has besides her daughter) Of course I was like what about your needs? She has called the dr and he told her to come now while she feels like she can do it. So, off to get her tommorrow, stay overnight, hopefully get back here before I have to go to work on Saturday, then take her back next Saturday. ALL of us here will spend a lot of time, all my kids, my gs and all the in-laws and out laws she has been close with in my lil family. I am so excited, scared and pensive, but she assures me we will have only a number to call if needed for medical assitance here in Derby. Her Dr has put this together for her in a very huge snap.
OH! I had some cool blooms today!

Drive safely Debra! Her coming to see the family will be nice!

Debra, glad Sherry has changed her mind. This will give you all a chance to fuss over her and make her
feel special. I hope she has a wonderful visit.

Gautier, MS

I hope too she has a good visit with all your family Debra.

First bloom from yesterday, the others from today.

Oh, those blooms are so pretty!

Lovely blooms Helena. What is the 1st and 2nd pic, not Blue Silk. Very pretty.

Norfolk, VA

My thoughts and prayers come to you and your sister, Debra.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda and Jackie. That is from Dany's # 10 I think. I liked the way it resembled blue silk in those two blooms but it's the white mostly with lavender. I have 3 vines with the same white & lavender blooms.

(Zone 7a)

Debra, keeping you and your sister in my prayers too.

Gautier, MS

Had a few nice blooms. Black King blizzard from Azuremore first bloom reminds me of the fancy silver wolf.
Dany's #8, as Blue shadow and the rest???

All very pretty blooms Helena, Love the 1st and last bloom you had this morning.

Little Red Mg
I just knew my Plumeria would be open by now.
Candy Corn vine

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

My MGs are finally starting to climb the trellises- I hope they bloom before the Alyssum & Geraniums fade away! I guess my timing was off.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

I have blooms! These are both in the same pot marked Dany's #5, dark grey purple? Don't know why they are 2 different colors? But I will take any color they are! The purple one is a lot darker that what is showing.

Thumbnail by taters55
Gautier, MS

Pretty blooms Jackie.

Glad your vines are starting to take off Jo, blooms will follow soon.

Linda, very pretty blooms.

I have a few too.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
(Zone 7a)

Jo and Linda - It's nice to see your vines and flowers on their way.

JoParrott, you mentioned, "I guess my timing was off." - maybe not - being as you and I are both zone 7, mgs often wait until September to come into their main bloom since it's triggered by the successively declining hours from day to day at that time of the year.

---------------------------
Taters55/Linda, you asked "I have blooms! These are both in the same pot marked Dany's #5, dark grey purple? Don't know why they are 2 different colors?" Hope this answer might help:

The way a flower looks is determined by the genetic material in the plant cells' nucleus; in other words, genetic material determines appearance.

Sooo, if the bees get to the flower when it opens, as they collect pollen and carry it around from flower to flower, they are also transferring genetic material that is in the pollen from flower to flower.

This is called open pollination, and as a result, flowers that bloom from the resulting seed pods will often be different from the parent flowers (but not always).

Each seed will be unique.

However, if you want to produce seeds that are similar to the parent flower with similar color, pattern, etc., then you have to keep the bees out of the flowers, along with other possible vectors of transferred pollen like some insects, hummingbirds, etc. One way to do that is to put a sandwich baggy (dated) over the flower bud the day before when it looks far enough along that it will open the following morning. Come morning, some folks just rattle the baggy which sometimes can be enough to knock pollen off the stigma to the anthers. For a more complete explanation, see POLLINATION in this forum's sticky index; plant parts are diagrammed and explained under MORPHOLOGY.

Seeds from bagged seed pods will also be unique, but there's a good chance flowers from them will strongly resemble the parent.

----------------------------------
Hope I've helped more than confuse.

Helen and Linda, am enjoying your pics so much.

Karen

edited to link my responses to Jo & Linda's comment/question

This message was edited Jun 8, 2013 6:56 AM

Nice blooms Linda.

Very pretty Helena. I love the 2nd bloom with the extra petal making it look like a double.
Of course I love your Blue on Blue Star and the Mauve Splash type.
I have your Blue Star up and China Doll, also the lovely Berlin Blue.
Could be July before I get more blooms. :-(

Lovely blooms everyone. We are home now, sister is sleeping in her lil bed nice and comfy. I am exhausted, but before I left I saw a bloom or two out back, so thought I would share ..
the flags are extra special Helena.

Glad to hear your back home with your Sis! Love your blooms Debra!

Gautier, MS

Glad your back with your sis too Debra. Love all your beautiful blooms Debra. Thanks all, you know I enjoy sharing my blooms with you all even if they are repeats.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Repeats are fine with me, love seeing all the pretties!

Nice blooms everyone.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Lovely blooms, I hope your sis is getting to enjoy them too Debra. Love the yellow rose!

Karen, so sorry I did not respond earlier. Thanks for all the info on the morning glories!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.