What's growing in your tomato garden!!!

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Nice Noids! Hope I actually get tomatoes. I hear it hasn't been super hot in Texas. Anyways, I'm already seeing those annoying small white flies so I'm spraying.
Ugh!!!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

They do look good. If they are NOIDs from seeds you saved is there a chance you wrote down what you started that year? Maybe even here on DG?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'm going to try to backtrack. They are HUGE and good!

I write down everything what I start and what I grow and I usually start at least 30 varieties a year. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't write it on a thread here. Was it last year?

I've been backtracking, and I think it might be a Pruden's Purple. Which really isn't purple at all...

You love PP and it's pink not purple. Does the plant have potato leaves? Did you just forget to label the seeds?

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

This year for me

Black Krim
Mr. Stripey
Super Sweet 100
Early Girl
Big Beef
Jet Star
Heinz Classic

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

My list this year:

Big Zac
Black Cherry
Blush
Brutus Magnum
Brandywine Croatia
Brandywine Sudduth’s
Bulls Heart
Ella’s Pink Plum
Gold Medal
Green Doctor Frosted
Jetsetter
Maglia Rosa
Mexico
Pink Bumble Bee
Purple Bumble Bee
Rebel Yell
Sweet Linda
Virginia Sweets

Rhinebeck, NY

Well, my two Golden Egg Tomato plants just departed for the great vegetable garden in the sky after a prolonged illness.
Actually, they were never "ill"; they just never did very well. I guess the seed was too old or otherwise defective.
Now I'll have to BUY a cherry tomato plant! Of course, no one will have that one!

Boston, MA(Zone 6b)

Just getting set to replant some seedlings, post-armyworm invasion. Thank goodness for good pals. Also got a few from Abundant Acres thanks to a recommendation from someone here on DG. They seem about out for the season, but the packaging was more amazing than anyone else I've ordered plants from.

Princepe Borghese
Carnival
Goldman's Italian American
Brandywine
Snow white
Cherokee Purple

And 3-4 that I have just no idea at all what they are.

NOIDS! I'm growing one now, and I sure wish I could figure it out!

Boston, MA(Zone 6b)

If the NOIDS work, I'm going to name them after infamous Louisiana characters and just pretend it's a real thing. "Oh, this is the Huey Long Pink, that one is the Ray Nagin Purple."

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

This is a good thread, I am learning a lot of new varieties.
I'm kind of new here. I looked, But couldn't find a tomato seed exchange.
Something like, Everyone who enters, Sends 400 or so seeds of there
favorite tomato to one member, Along with a self addressed stamped envelope.
Then once all seeds are received, They are divided equally to all who entered.
Or even a round robin. Sometime in July/Aug time frame.

I realize, I don't have the tenure, Or trade history to start this. Well maybe a round robin.
But does one already exist?

Mad

Chico, CA

I have a few really great success stories - my new favorites so far are Juane Flamme, Japanese Black Trifele, Pink Berkeley Tie Dye and Strawberry Tiger. The Strawberry Tiger are very pretty, taste great and are very productive. I have attached a picture with a golf ball for size comparison - I used to golf - now I garden!!

Keith

Thumbnail by drkenai

NOLA,
You might wanna change the color to Canary Yellow. He's gonna be going away for awhile, I hope!

I've never heard of Strawberry Tiger. They sure look good tho.

Rhinebeck, NY

I just bought a Peacevine Cherry tomato to replace my deceased Golden Egg.
Supposed to have high levels of amino acids and Vitamin C, so that sounds good.

Mad: The biggest (and, I think, best) tomato seed swap is run near the end of the season every year by hmacdona; look for it on the Tomato forum, or contact her by Dmail. lanakila ran a small swap in March. This is probably not the best time of year to run a swap, but there is no reason why you or anyone can't start a round robin or other swap. "Tenure" doesn't really count; everyone starts somewhere. (But 400 seeds? 10 or so is a more normal trade amount, I think).

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

JB

Thank you for the information.
And yes, I thought about the 400 seeds, That is a lot!
The end of season would be the best, But there are so many wonderful varieties :)

Thanks again
Mad

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Want to try Jaune Flamme and Kellogg's Breakfast but can never find them around here. I keep hearing how great they are!!

Drkenai,
Those sure are interesting color palettes! What're the big, plum stripped ones called?

Very healthy palette, indeed! Congratulations!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

My list consists of:

-Black Krim
-Cherokee Purple
-Big Rainbow
-Red Brandywine
-Green Zebra
-Aunt Ruby's German Green
-Indigo Rose
-Better Boy
-Yellow Pear

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

although the indigo rose will probably be a late season tomato since it had a setback not long after transplant and is just now getting a good growth spurt

Steph or 1lisac (can't remember),
You asked about my Virginia Sweets production. Well, to date, I think I've harvested maybe TWO tomatoes from that vine. I have one ripening now to taste. The other one went into the homemade tomato sauce.

I'll let you know what I think of the taste.

Linda

Rhinebeck, NY

See, here's the deal:
I bet that if the group of people who are chatting on this thread wanted to do so, we could have our own tomato seed swap at the end of the season. Could be fun. There is a tremendous selection of tomtoes shown here. And we're all getting to know each other.

BTW, do you all know that Dr Carolyn, our resident and deservedly revered guru of tomatoes has been in hospital lately? Check out this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1316838/

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I just found this threads.
I am adding pictures of my tomato harvests for 2013.
I started my seedlings on December 31st and transplanted out on February 16th.
First tomato on April 24th.
So far so good.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My favorite so far:
Jeunne Flamme
Chocolate Cherry
Cherokee Purple
Golden Nugget

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

more for you to enjoy ...

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My largest tomatoes so far this year have been:
Chocolate Stripes
Marianna's Peace

Last year it was Virginia Sweet at 22oz.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i see a "Face" made out of veggies in the 3rd and 4th photo, especially with the cuke flowers placed the way they are :)

Chico, CA

GymGirl - those stripped ones are Pink Berkeley Tie Dye - they are very productive and taste great!

Keith

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

jmc1987
you are correct

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

JB I grew PeacevIne for several years with seeds from Seeds of Change, wonderful sweet grape sized fruits. Grew them in Buffalo and Atlanta so it does well in short or long growing seasons. That was before I learned about seed saving so ran out of seeds and couldn't fnd a source so never grew it again. I'm all for a seed swap tho it's my first time saving tomato seeds. Any helpful suggestions? Who wants to be the swap boss?

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

So I am seriously envious of all your tomato plants! We just planted about a week ago and all its done is rain! I would love to save seeds and exchange them except that I don't know if I will get a tomato at this rate! Also, I have never saved seeds before either. This isn't going to be a banner year in the northeast!
Sharon

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

This is a great blog on fermenting tomato seeds.

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/Horseshoe/1109/

Uh,
Just a tip to add to UberShoe's tutorial. Use WAXED paper plates. The seeds are less likely to stick.

Otherwise, "you will still spend the rest of your life pulling a gazillion seeds off the paper plate!," LOL!

Ask me how I know this.... go ahead.....ask......LOL!

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

Gymgirl

It's those hard lessons learned, that are learned well. LOL
I used a paper plate earlier this year for some spaghetti squash seed,
NEVER AGAIN!

Mad

LOL, paper plates are the bomb -- as long as they have a waxy coating!!!

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a regular dinnerware dessert plate I use now. Much better! But I'll try the waxed plates. :)

Mad

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the tip. I do remember reading about that. I'll check out the link. Still up in the air about doing it. Somehow just ordering them seems more like a sure thing....

Hugobee,
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

Think about it. You have a tomato you absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

Squish it, scum it, rinse it, dry it.

Plant it.

EAT IT --- again!!!

LOL!

It doesn't get anymore sure than that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.