Morning Glories 2013 # 1

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Can't hurt!

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I have 12 varieties of MG seeds soaking, and will get them in cups soon. Here is my house which faces east. I already have 3 trellises up, and plan to get more to put where I have the black lines. Do you think I will have a nice show this summer? Do all MGs climb vigorously?

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Gautier, MS

Jo, I've had mg's bloom in tiny cups and some now are blooming in 32 oz foam cups. I also have some blooming in gallon pots, I think it's important too to feed them with Miracle Bloom Booster. They will grow and bloom if your weather gets warm enough, they have bloomed for me in cool weather too but try to give them morning sun.

Some of my blooms today.

This message was edited May 3, 2013 2:55 PM

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, helena-

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Very pretty Helena, the white with blue specks is a beauty and the dark, dark purple.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda. Didn't have a lot of time to post all the pictures this morning, so here's a few more. Jackie, thought that white with blue specks was neat too. I should right the discription of the blooms on the lables for future reference.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Very pretty, love the chocolate ones with the blue.

I like all of those you just sent Helena. So nice to get to enjoy your blooms with you. The soft blue, the last pic is
really pretty. Beautiful Chocolates.
Helena, please mark the pretty white with blue. :-)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

excuse me while I *swoon* over the blooms posted these past few days.. I am still too cold to see what has popped up outside, and I just see pods ripening downstairs..

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Whoa LOVE the white with blue specks!

Gautier, MS

Thank you Jackie, Linda, Debra and Ronnie. I think that white with blue specks is a ip purpurea from one of Emmas seed mixes. I'm going to tag it.
I was lazy yesterday and left all my mg's outside overnight knowing that it was going to get down to the mid forty's. So no blooms today, maybe I see one pink bud that will open if it warms up enough for it. I'll have to double check for blooms later, I don't always see all the first time. The vines all look ok though but it's cold here too.

Saginaw, MI

Such beautiful blooms everyone !! Can't wait to see what mine do ! My morning glory "fixation" started with a small styrofoam cup decorated by my youngest son with a "heavenly blue" morning glory in it. They planted them in school and gave them to all the Moms for mothers day one year (about 5 years ago ) ! It grew wonderfully and I saved seeds from it and kept going from there !!

szarvas, Hungary

This bloom is a ipomoea purpurea ?

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2013/05/03/helenahkh/dbdb13.jpg

Gautier, MS

Dany, yes I believe that bloom is an ip purperea. It has heart shaped leaves. I took a picture of them though the leaves don't look good, I have to spray them. Q 1079 and Q1080 are awesome blooms from Kyushu U. Mine is a young vine and has more buds forming.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Sunny and warming up here but a bit windy. Todays blooms.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Lovely blooms this morning Helena. The soft pink is really nice.
A nil could have heart shaped lvs. I had one
of the gray mg's that is a nil and it had lovely heart shaped lvs. Can't think of its name right now. :-)
My pic of it is on a flash drive that the g kids have erased. Haven't been able to recover the pics so far.
If I get time, will go back to 08 and look for it on a thread.
In the meantime, Pres Bush from 09. I want to start a couple of these sds..

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie, love your Pres Bush bloom. Glad you have reminded me Jackie, I do remember having a large pink ip nil with heart shaped leaves.
I think you can tell by the seeds if they are purpureas if they point downwards? Maybe Dany can clarify that?

szarvas, Hungary

Yes it is a purpurea.
Nil leaves are rarely heart shaped and often hairy.

Helena, yes you can always tell Purpurea sds as they do point downward. I found a couple of my nils
with heart shaped lvs
The 1st one is a lovely Purple Blizzard that Emma had shared sds of.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5350101

Plum Shadows also with heart shaped lvs. Both of these vines are Ip nils
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5274518

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

gorgeous! All I have are pics of past. Lots of seedlings ready to go outside, if it ever gets above 65.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Dany and Jackie for the info and links. Those are pretty blooms with the heart shaped leaves Jackie. There is somewhere in our forum pictures of a light pink ip nil with heart shaped leaves.

It's cool and very windy here, actually the wind is howling. Had these close-up of small blooms today and they reacted to the cold.

They are all pretty, but I love that purple one in the middle!

I hope this is not another day when I have multiple posts. I know I already posted to this thread but poof, its
not here.
I can't pick a favorite today as all your blooms are gorgeous Helena. :-)

Deb, my 2 pics of heart shaped lvs are from the past. Nothing blooming here yet.

to the new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1311263

Norfolk, VA

That's good to hear, Jackie! Please post pics if you can. I have one of you Akatsuki no mai's growing, but my camera needs new batteries:-( The solid-colored leaf gene is recesive.

-Tony

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.