OVRG #198 Spring is here!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Celene, we will need a picture of that topiary when you get it done. I had one of those living wreaths last year, (it was a gift from a garden friend) and it was filled with all kinds of succulents. It did well until late fall,when I forgot about it needing water! Anyway took what plants that lived through my neglect and put them in my shade garden, where they look to be doing good.

Karen, if it was only yard pranks, I would be content for the chippies to stay here. My cat used to use them for toys! I have seen her play with them a good half day, run and tackle it, and then let it go, and do it all over again.

Celene, wow for a one eyed dog sounds like loss of sight doesn't keep him down. I have the trap set again, so hoping that I will catch another one. Surely that pair had some kids or maybe they were grandparents and didn't have any kids living at home!

Marcy, good to see you. Hope that you are able to make the RU. That is the only time I get to see you all year.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Peggy, I have heard of sewer pipes backing up. It has happened to my girlfriend's house twice. You can smell the sewage. She has a basement, it backed up like 11 inches in her basement one time. I do not know about slab house's though. I think you would be able to smell it . I hope that is not your problem. It is very costly.

Mercy, Hope you can make the round up!

Karen

Columbus, OH

Karen: I want it to be sempervivums and sedums. It's one of those three balls of increasing size kinda things.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

That will look nice. Would love to see a picture when your finished.
Is the cactus your trying to root by any chance prickly pear? If so I can get you more if you want it.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Karen, I don't think it's the sewer pipe. . nothing smells bad-it's just wet-very odd.

I heard last night that it's supposed to get down to 32 Friday night, and frost on into early next week. I am SO sick of this weather. I want to get my tomatoes and peppers in the ground Sat., but I'm afraid to.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Peggy, Glad it's not your sewer pipe.
I have not heard about a frost. I know this has been a strange spring.

I seem to have come down with a cold or something. I have had a fever all day and feel awful. I'm going to bed and maybe I will feel better in the morning. Everybody have a blessed night. Karen

Columbus, OH

It's a prickly pear, but the kind with long spines and not little glochids. I'd rather get stuck by a thorn I can see, than 9234323 teeny tiny ones. If you have the larger-thorned cactus, I'm in. :)

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mine has long spikes and some shorter ones. I will bring some pads to the RU if you want them that will be great if not that will not be a problem either. I have a grabber thing I use to thin my out every couple of years. Saves the fingers. I got it at a drug store years ago.

Columbus, OH

I just wrapped the pads in newspaper, but go ahead and bring some, if they have the big stickers, I'll give them a go. TYVM!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'll bring some of mine too.... they are in the container or ground outdoor hardy to at least Dayton

Columbus, OH

Thanks! Mine will need to go in a container, they have to be in the front yard, so the dogs don't have access, and in pots so I can move them before my husband mows.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Sounds good!

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Hope you're feeling better Karen!
What do you all advise-plant tomatoes and peppers Saturday and cover Monday night when we're supposed to get frost? I have hoops and fabric. Or wait till next Saturday. I'm in a quandry because I only have this Sat. & next before my daughter's graduation and our Open House. I have SO much to do inside & out. Didn't need this aggravation. Any advice welcome!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Not really still have a fever. Going to call the Dr. don't have time to be sick.
Sorry I don't know what to do about your tomatoes or peppers. Maybe Bonnie or somebody can help you with that. Good Luck getting everything ready before your daughter's graduation and Open House. Have a blessed day.

Peggy, since you are about the same zone as me, and temperature wise, we are probably a bit cooler just by the fact we live out in the country. I have the same concern, but I have decided to wait until after next Monday to put my tomatoes and peppers out. Honestly with the inaccurate forecasts of the past, they probably would be okay, but I am just afraid to chance it. We had this happen several years ago, and most everything was killed by a frost, and by that time, it was almost impossible to find good replacement plants. That is just my opinion. (JMO, or JMHO, just my humble opinion). Maybe Janet will check in and give us her sage advice.

Karen, hope you get to feeling better.

Cookie, hope you can make it to the RU, and twist Bertie's arm and drag her along. Been awhile since I have seen either of you!

Waddy, KY

I know one year we'd planted tomatoes early, was so proud of ourselves and then were scrambling around trying to find 150 buckets to put over them when they were calling for frost. Right now they're calling for 39 degrees. Mine, which are still too small anyway, will be staying in the greenhouse with the heater hooked up Sunday night. I don't have enough frost blanket for however many are out there. Probably three hundred or more. And besides, who's ground is dry enough right now to work and plant? It just finished raining here again.

Karen, I don't think anybody has time to be sick anymore. We just do more and more and more. I think I'm going to brain my DH. He's dying to buy a milkshake machine and sell milk shakes and ice cream at the Lexington market. We take more stuff up there right now than any other vendor. Stay tuned.

Got to go to Louisville and pick up a truck tomorrow morning. Should be back to have lunch with you Bonnie as DH as to be in Frankfort by 11:00.

DD put too much oil in her car this morning. She drove it about 2 miles down the road and the 2 miles back to the house and parked it. I'm hoping it didn't get too hot in that length of time to hurt anything. DH has to drain the extra oil before we'll know anything. Poor child has senioritis and the prom is Friday night and another market opens in Louisville on Saturday. She's about at melt down stage.

Made strawberry rhubarb jam. Gentleman from Frankfort gave us some of the old green rhubarb. Brought us some more on Saturday and was so happy when DS gave him a couple jars of jam in payment for the jam. I'll give him some more if he brings more. I guess I'll try to make a bed one more time. There's a manure pile at the upper barn that's been cooking for over a year that should make a good raised bed.

Better get moving. It's really good to see more posting. Marcy, don't be a stranger. Ric, you too. Good to see Rebecca post too. Haven't seen Sue post lately. She ok?

Janet

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Bonnie & Janet, Thanks for the feedback. That's pretty much what I had decided, but you all just made up my mind for sure. I've spent too much time and money on these plants and I would sure hate to lose them now. I have plenty to do inside to get ready for this Open House, it's just that that entails cleaning, which I HATE!! I'd much rather be working outside-but it'll still be there next week when it's supposed to be beautiful. So what if we don't harvest tomatoes till August, huh?
Janet, did any of those kids check in with you all about working the Farmer's Market yet?

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie...I'm planning on it! It has been way too long since we've seen each other...will you be bringing Connie, ahem, Maggie with you???? ^_^

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet, You are so funny. I hope you can come to the RU. Try not to hurt DH to bad that will be more work for you. lol !

Wow Senior Prom! Hope DD has a fun and safe time. Will put in a prayer for her. Hope her car is ok.

I'm feeling little better today. Going out to weed and work on pond.
Everybody have a blessed day! Karen

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

It's a sad day! Some sick people in Butler County, Ohio took a ax and used it on 2 horse's and 8 sheep killing them. That is so awful, it breaks my heart. I hope they can catch them before they attack more animals or even worse people. My heart breaks for the poor farmer that lost animals to such needless cruelty. My neighbor is so mad, says he's going to stay up and guard his goats and cows with a shotgun. Hope to not hear a gun tonight. Had enough of nasty people hurting people and animals.

On a better note I got some weeding done, plenty more to do. Went to local farm market and bought some shade plants for back of pond. Bought a white Astilbe "Bridal Veil" and 3 Variegated Sedge "Ice Dance" and a Ghost Fern
"Ghost". Even managed to get them planted before the rain started again. Had to dig up some spotted dead nettle to make room for the ghost fern. Have one corner left to finish on pond. I hope to be rid of my thugs when I get done.
Need to get my DS to bed. Have a Blessed night! Karen

Karen that is so horrible. My mind just cannot comprehend someone doing that to poor innocent animals for no reason. Well, even if they have a reason, there are other methods to deal with noise or other nuisance problems.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I Know! I'm so upset the poor animals. I live in Butler County and there are some good size farms here. I am sure those poor animal's were not a sound issue. I have cows behind my house and across the street and they are not a noise problem. Who ever would do something that twisted is one scary sick thing. They have had it on the news here. It makes you sick every time you hear it. I pray they can catch them before they do more harm.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

They had a update on the 11:00 news. The horse's lived just have awful wounds to face and sides, four of the sheep passed and 4 have awful injuries. I don't know how anybody could chop on animals like firewood. Breaks my heart.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

That is so horrible. I will also pray that they catch them. A policeman told us that 90% of people who do such things go on to hurt people. The authorities are well aware of that, so I'm sure they will do all they can to find out who did it.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms! God Bless!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

My computer broke down on me this morning. Had to get power something replaced.
DH and I are going out to eat for our anniversary!

Happy Mothers Day! Hope all mothers out there have great weekend!

Karen

Columbus, OH

Just got back from the Baker's Acres Not Quite All Night Extravaganza. Awesome!

Waddy, KY

No Peggy, no visitors last weekend. In all fairness, Sunday was not a day fit to be out so maybe someone will drop in this weekend.

Rained here off and on all day. Kate got the breads seperated for the markets and was then off to the prom. They were eating somewhere in Louisville that looked pretty nice so she was kind of excited.

Bonnie, lunch yesterday was so totally enjoyable. I wish there was the time and the money to do it every week. We'd get in so much trouble.... Did the Henry Co FFA have any lantana? My mother wants a bunch and if they have it I'll have Matthew get some on Monday.

Better get moving. Tomorrow comes early

Janet, I didn't see any, but that is not to say it wasn't there. I think the advisor/teacher needs to expand the variety of things that they grow. Seemed like way too many vegetables and less flowers. They are going to be open the next two saturdays, and I am sure that the flowers will be sold out for Mother's day. They had beautiful baskets of assylm(purple), with bacopa(white) as the filler. Very pretty combinations. But it begs for a woman gardener's touch. Hope you find it, Did you look at Lowes?

Hope that the weather clears up for you tomorrow at market. We were in Shelbyville tonight,went out to eat, and saw some of the prom goers getting ready to head to Louisville to eat, evidently. I know they enjoy the night, but seems like a lot of money spent on just one event. I vagely remember mine, but back then (dark ages) it was all done at the school. Evidently fear of liability overrode the freedom to party any where else.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Happy Mothers Day to all my gardening friends!
A frost warning is out for my area from 2:00 AM tomorrow morning....already have my plants in the barn...the ones that arent planted that is...grrrrrr!
I am sooo ready for warmer weather!!
Huggs to all!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hope everybody had a great weekend! Hope all the Mothers had a great day!
My DS gave me a bird bath and a home made card. Loved both the card and the bird bath. Had a very nice day!
Just brought my plants in from the cold. I'm with Peggy, this weather is getting old.

DH asked what he should do about the tomato plants he already has set out in the garden. I told him that if he valued them, then I would cover them. He has about 12, so he gathered buckes and baskets and we now have a garden that looks like it is growing containers!

Marcy, good to see you. I know, I have plants that are in the greenhouse, as I have been afraid to put anything out with the weather being so weird this spring??, I hope we have a real spring, but we may go from this to the really hot weather.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, I have a container garden as well tonight! My poor neighbor planted all her annuals last week.
Karen

Columbus, OH

I'm with you all. 23 blankets and three large trash cans (rose bushes and NBJ) and THIRTEEN flats in the kitchen and basement.

Waddy, KY

Plugged the heater back in at the greenhouse. Probably a good thing. There was ice on the windshield at six o'clock and there was frost here and there. Thermometer might say 40 but the plants won't lie. I sure as heck would hate to loose my tomato plants at this point in time. Need to start another flat for late maters but sure don't want them to be the only plants I have!

Market Saturday was pitiful. One of the main markets in Louisville opened this weekend and it did less than the Frankfort market did. Don't know what they were wanting but they were again like cows walking the fence looking for a hole. Apparently whatever they were wanting they didn't see. Everyone had stuff left over that I had figured would be bought in a snap. Things could get real tight here this year if things don't pick up.

Still got some tomatoes in the freezer so I think today when I finish the morning baking I'll get a couple pots of mararia sauce, or however you spell it, going. I would make some black bean and corn salsa but I'm not out of that yet and am on the other.

Better get moving. Got to feed Norman and get the ewes out to graze.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Got my container garden cleaned up. Now they are saying another frost warning tonight. Mother Nature sure is being hard on all of us. I don't remember ever getting frost after Mothers Day!

Janet, Hope the market gets better for you! Your funny, walking the fence like cows looking for a whole! I hope they find the whole at your stand next week and buy instead of looking.

My laundry is calling me. I have to get to my house work. Hope everybody has a great day!
Karen

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, per your all's advice, I didn't plant anything this weekend. . .I sure did buy some flowers tho' :) Always do on Mother's Day. That's my gift to myself! King's was giving free geraniums to all the Moms, so I of course had to buy a few things to go with it to make a decent container. The rest of the afternoon I had to cart in all the tomatoes and peppers I had outside hardening off and cover some flowers I had planted . One of the tomatoes DH said is 33" tall. They really need to go in the ground!! Good thing I brought them in-we did have frost. We were supposed to have it again tonight, but now they're saying 40's. I don't know whether to trust them, and I have to work tonight, so I think I'll leave them in another night. I will have one ear on the weather though. I may have to come home and cover stuff again! ARGHHH!!!! Spring, where art thou?!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Peggy, We are getting a lot of exercise this year due to the weather! GRRR!! Maybe this will be the last cold spell. Do you remember ever getting frost this late in the year? Hope we do not go straight to high heat and drought!
Good for you buying yourself some flowers. You deserve it on Mothers Day! Hope the warmer weather comes around and you can plant them soon.
Have a blessed day! Karen

I had a routine Dr appointment today, just to get meds refilled, and made an afternoon of it by running errands. Went to the bank, post office library, drug store and Verizon. DH lost his cell phone and he asked me to go by and get him another one. I know that in the next couple of days, the lost one will show up!

Tomorrow is my nursing home visitation day, and that always runs longer than what I plan on. I have about 10 lovely ladies that I visit. Taking them some candy for a belated MD gift. Hope that the weather is warmer so maybe I can get out and do some stuff in the yarden tomorrow afternoon.

Columbus, OH

Someone hit my car today, I'm just fine but my HHR is probably totalled. The first car I ever really liked.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.