OVRG #198 Spring is here!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene- I'll take your Blue Jays! lol! I have a few, I feed them peanuts. Poor Pibble they have the advantage!

Columbus, OH

That's why they come to my yard--the squirrel feeder has peanuts.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Beautiful Birds aren't they! I love birds. Have a blessed day! My house cleaning is calling.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, I made a big boo-boo. Took a chance and left 2 hanging baskets of strawberries out because it was only supposed to get down to 34. It got down to 32. Most of them look ok, but a few leaves are kind of dead looking. Sure hope they're ok-one of them is a gift for my daughter. To top it off, a huge starling has discovered her basket as well-the biggest basket. Does anyone know what to put over the basket to keep him out?
We're not supposed to have any more 30's, so I started hardening off about 35 tomato plants. I sure hope the weatherman is right this time. If not, I'm going to be doing a lot of carrying back & forth!
Janet, I wish you lived closer to No. Ky. My daughter and her boyfriend would make great workers. They love gardening and animals. She's getting ready to graduate from Transy, and he has one more semester at NKU. She's looking for a job in or around Covington if anyone needs a good little gal to help them!

Waddy, KY

Peggy, are you sure you can't convince her to stay in Lexington this summer? I could stand both of them at the Saturday and Sunday market. Ask her if she knows anyone that is going to be there during the summer that would be interested in a weekend job. Pay to get some lettuce transplanted hopefully today. We also have to run the two trucks to Louisville. One to get a new roll up door installed and the other to get an estimate on the same thing. Got to get the second one up and running because Kate and I need it for the Louisville markets. Paul has to take the big truck to Lexington now since he's taking the grill. Too much for a panel van anymore.

Bonnie, we WILL have lunch. Promise. We probably both need a gripe session!

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Janet, would this be at your markets in Louisville?

Waddy, KY

No, it would be the two Lexington markets unless you know someone in Louisville that also needs some weekend work. There seems to be plenty of work to go around over here. :-)

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Did you have any luck with your Little Devil?

Peggy, You might try bells or chimes to make noise. That should scare them off for a while. Change the sounds every couple of weeks or they will get use to it. Or you could put sticks or something to make it hard to find a comfy spot. You can cut them off so the foliage hides them. Good Luck!

Waddy, KY

Peggy, have you looked around for any of that bird netting that they put on fruit trees to keep the birds out? That or some light tobacco canvas. Don't know if the canvas would work, just a thought.

Got the rest of the leeks planted today and some Swiss chard and Bibb lettuce transplanted., I'd planned on getting rain but now I'm not so sure that we're going to get any. Beets, lettuce and peas are up good enough to see rows but the carrots are holding out. Won't be too long and I can plant beans and squash. They saw when the locust bloom that it's warm enough to plant beans and corn so we'll see then.

Ram got in with the ewes today so I guess we just started the breeding season today. Only about 10 days ahead of schedule so not too far off base. He was right happy....

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Janet, I D-mailed you :)

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Peggy, I was running behind schedule the other day, so haven't bought the trap yet, but will do that tomorrow while I am out running errands and getting groceries.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Bonnie, that was taylordaylily you were chatting w/about the trap. . .the other newbie :)
Hope you catch the little stinker! We have a feral cat that comes in our yard now. He seems to be keeping the other critters at bay. Last year something dug up my new tulips and one of them still hasn't come up. Very frustrating.

Sorry, it will take me a few days to get you all figured out. I am sure most everybody here has had the critters from one time or another.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Peggy , Do you dust your bulbs with baby powder before you plant them? It has worked for me.

Bonnie, We don't mind. I have got mixed up. I'm still not sure who's Birthday that was on the 11th. I have been parking in the garage. I'm worried about my car now.

Hope everybody has a great day.

Taylordaylily (what is your real name)? why are you afraid for your car? You having a storm or something?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

My real name is Karen. I live on Taylor School Rd.
I was kidding about my car. I am hoping my chipmunk stays out of my car though. I had mice make a nest in the engine of my old car years ago. That was a mess!

Columbus, OH

For the benefit of the newbies, my actual first name is Rebecca, but shadowgarden is also Rebecca, so everyone just calls me Celene.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Will bring you some of the Angelina sedum. I also have Hens and chicks I can bring you. I never thought to list those.

Karen, duh, I am so literal that it is actually painful sometimes! My car was sitting outside all three times that the dogs chased the chipmunk under it and up into the the motor. It wasn't the chipmunk that did the damage to the wiring, it was the JRT that went after the chipmunk that did the damage.

Thanks for the sedum and the hens and chicks.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for everyone's names. I'm starting to kind of sort everyone out.
Karen, I had never heard of the baby powder idea. I will try to store that in my memory (uh-oh!) for future reference. No more bulb planting for me this season.
Just heard this morning we may have patchy frost tonight. Great, now I have to cover all those tomato seedlings I took outside. Do you all think that would be sufficient, or should I carry all of them back inside? They're in a sort of sheltered area. This is the worst Spring I've ever experienced, and I've lived in Lexington all my life.

Columbus, OH

I would bring them in, tomatoes and peppers like warm weather, cold can damage them.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie , your welcome if you want anything else let me know. My chipmunk may have to swim today. It's raining really hard.

Peggy, I'm with Celene I would bring them in.

Everybody have a Blessed day! I have to run some errands. Going to get my son a fish tank. He has been doing really good in school.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Karen & Celene. . .if they're not washed down the street by the time I get home from work, I'll tote them all back in. ARGH!!! I really detest this weather.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks again to Karen & Celene. You all were right on the money. If tomatoes can shiver, mine were yesterday afternoon. Some had been blown over and some of the leaves had already changed color. I carried them all back in, and they're under the lights and in the window-wherever I could find a spot. Now I hear the same thing is going to happen tonight, so they're staying in for now. It's hard when you work full-time to do this in & out thing everyday. I guess I'll get this garden going sometime this year. Now they're saying we may even have frost Derby weekend-the traditional tomato planting day in Ky.!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Peggy, Your Welcome! This weather is driving my crazy as well. Is there a NO MORE FROST DANCE WE COULD DO? I needed the rain , not the frost! I hope your plants can recover.
Good Luck, Karen

Columbus, OH

One of my friends in Canada said her church had a sign that said "Whoever is praying for snow, please stop!" lol

Good afternoon. The live trap is all set and I am just waiting for the little critter to investigate the yummy peanut butter I left for him. This morning the dogs chased him into the garage and he went behind a sheet of dry wall that was leaning against the wall. Well the dogs ate a large hole in the dry wall trying to get to him. So hope that I have "beginner's luck" in nabbing him.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Everybody,
Bonnie, I have my fingers crossed for you! I hope you have in the morning. Please do not bring him to Ohio! LOL! I have learned to live with mine, however I do not want anymore.
I'm sure with those cute faces (your JRT's) you could not stay upset long. Do you mind if I ask their names?

Celene, That is a great Sign! I have had enough of the frost and cold!

Waddy, KY

Not sure where the day went today. Got the morning baking done, calf fed and the sheep fed and put out and all of a sudden it was lunch time. Planted some lettuce at the garden, was too wet to do anything else but didn't have time to put any canvass on it. Hopefully tomorrow. The vet is coming tomorrow morning to do a herd check so Miranda is taking off from work. That'd be a good time to trim the ewe's hooves. We've done a few but the rest need a nip here and there. My "to do" list just keeps getting longer and longer. If it warms up enough for the locust to start blooming I'm going to plant beans and squash.

Bonnie I know you really wanted a hole in that drywall all along didn't you???

Better get moving. Day's not done yet.

Columbus, OH

I potted up a zillion seedlings today. Four flats. If they all live, I'll have some Dickinson Field pumpkins to share. I had a heck of a time finding seed, they're supposed to be the pumpkin used for Libby's pumpkin.

I also got over 100 assorted wandering jew and plectranthus cuttings, potted those up as well.

All after I got back from three doctor appointments in one day--ob-gyn, endocrinologist and mammogram. Whew!

Will try to post some pictures of the JRT. This is John John

Thumbnail by defoecat

This is my baby, Bruno, or Mr. B.

Thumbnail by defoecat

This is Casper. Bruno is the original to this household. Casper was a rescue, and JohnJohn is here for an extended stay. He originally belonged to DH's DB who was killed last September in a car crash. DH's DN is in the process of remodeling her DD's house and will be moving to the farm soon. When she is settled, he will go back to the farm and to his job of guarding the horse barns.

Thumbnail by defoecat
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene-You sure had a busy day.

Bonnie, I love the smile on John John! Mr.B has a sweet face. I would have them spoiled rotten. I'm sure you do. I wanted JTR's and my husband got me peeks. Love them, hate the long hair. My next dog will be a JRT. Thanks for showing us your babies.

Everybody have a Blessed Night! Karen

Oh, Celene, I would love to have one of the pumpkins. Then I can save seed for the next year.

Karen, you can be sure that the first thing I check in the morning is my Havaheart live trap to see if I have captured one critter at least.

Janet, I don't know where you get the energy to do all that you do. Today, I had to tackle the mountain of paper that has accumulated, pay the bills and try to balance check books. Got it all done, but the filing, and that can wait for another day. Went out and pulled some weeds, prepared some hummingbird feeders and put them out (they have been seen in my neighborhood) and then cooked supper, and I am worn out.

Took Mr. B to the cemetery for his ride, and did some more mapping while he was sniffing and marking his territory. Hope to have this cemetery mapping done soon, so that it can go off to the publisher for addition to the Henry County Historical Society Cemeteries Publication.

They delivered the metal for our roof today. We have roofers coming next week and our house will be sporting a new metal roof by the end of the week. Seems expensive, but when you think that this will last a lifetime, not so bad.

Karen, Mr. B is a smooth coat, JohnJohn a broken coat as is Casper. You wouldn't believe how bad all of them shed. Mr. B is the only "house dog". Casper and JohnJohn sleep in the laundry room at night, but otherwise are outside dogs. You would be vacuuming dog hair every day of the week if you had the JRT. I will let you borrow one or more for a week or so and see how you like them! Mr. B is the sweetest one, followed by JohnJohn, and Casper is the renegade of the bunch.

Mr. B is a therapy dog. I take him to the nursing home one day a month, and it really puts smiles on the faces of the elders. The nursing home has a resident JRT named Chris, and she always greets Mr. B at the door on the day he comes. They also have a large gray tom cat named Clyde. You very seldom ever see him, but the last time we went, I was in their conference room talking to some staff, and Mr. B was sitting by my side. Clyde comes out from under the conference table and gives Mr. B a left jab, then a right jab to his nose, and then disappears under the table again. Didn't hurt Mr. B, but sure did surprise him, and hurt his feelings.

Waddy, KY

DH just got back from checking the cows on the hill farm. There's no pond or reliable stream up there so somebody has to go up there every day or every other day to fill the tanks. As soon as he finishes his pitiful supper of a couple hamburgers, I'll be hearing my bed calling.

Bonnie, that cat just wanted to introduce himself and get all the ground rules set out perfectly clear for Mr. B. Sounds like it's not fixing to take any guff off any canine.

We've got to replace the roof at Harrisonville and DH is planning to put a metal roof on it. Is it more expensive than shingles? Mom and Dad are fairly well satisfied with their metal roof. The fellow I wanted to put it on is so busy with his contractor he told me to find someone else. I hate that because he does good work.

Beddy bye for me ASAP.

Janet, when you initially look at the price of the materials, you think it is high, but when you consider that it will never need replacing, at least in your life time, it all works out. We have an Amish family who just moved in, and they are going to be doing the actual work. DH knows what the whole job will cost, and he has told me, but I can't remember right now. Anyway, it will get done next week.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, I know about shedding dog's. I use to have have a Lab/German short haired pointer. He shed all year long. I didn't have to groom him all the time. I like short haired dogs. They all shed. However your don't have to comb and groom short haired. I will down load some pics when DH teaches me how to do it.
That's great Mr.B is a therapy dog. God Bless you and Mr.B for bringing happiness to people!

Metal Roof will also be great when it rains. It will pay for itself over time, no loose shingles to worry about.
Good Night, Karen

Columbus, OH

Defoecat, would you like a Lungo di Napoli, too? It is my personal favorite squash, though I haven't tried Thelma Saunders and Dickinson's Field, which are new to me this year. Lungo di Napoli needs to be started early to yield before frost here, and you may only get 1-2 squash per plant, but they store well and each one will weigh 25 lbs. or more. They are mottled green, and go tan when you store them (don't freak out like I did!).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.