OVRG #198 Spring is here!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Celene, never heard of the squash, but I am always up for trying something different. Thanks.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Thelma Saunders is a nice squash, looks like a pale yellow acorn squash but lighter in taste. I have just one left in my pantry closet and need to cook it soon. The acorn type squash usually don't keep as well as the butternuts and the large hubbard-types. I don't grow big winter squash.... to much squash for just one person even if I canned some for pies (which my waistline does NOT need).

I learned the hard way not to try to store winter squash in my root cellar... too much humidity. My pantry room in the house is barely heated, and there's a long closet on the back (outside) wall so I can store things that need cool but dry conditions.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Everybody, I need to rant! My DH planned a birthday party for me today. He only invited his family! I'm so hurt that he left my Mother out of my Birthday Party! My Mother is my best friend and he knows that. They have always got along. I just don't understand how you could forget to invite someones mother to their birthday party! I have been upset all day. I even went and bought a Knock Out Rose (The Sunny Knock Out) I had wanted. I felt better planting it, however my DH is still in the doghouse.
Is it wrong that I am so hurt? What would you do if this happened to you?
Thanks for your time! Have a blessed day! Karen

Karen, I am so sorry that this happened. I have found that men are so dense sometimes. Maybe he got caught up in all the planning and honestly forgot that he needed to invite her. Good for you buying the knock out rose, bet that it will be a reminder of this disasterous day. I have been married 48 1/2 years, and honestly if I had put out a rose bush everytime that my feelings had been hurt over the years, I would have acres of them! Maybe just try to concentrate on the fact that he planned a surprise party for you, and maybe just the thought of that amount of integrity will overcome the glaring omission of not inviting your DM. I understand how you must feel.

Anyway, if today is your actual birthday, Happy Birthday, and celebrate tomorrow with maybe you and your mom going out for brunch or lunch, WITHOUT him!

Had a busy day myself. Took the Amish neighbor to town and helped her set up the baked goods that she had made for a bake sale. She had 4 boxes of things, pies, cakes, rolls, bread, brownies, sweet rolls, and whooppee pies. Those are my favorites. Devils food cake cut in circles (thin cake) with a filling in between two of those circles of cake. The filling has egg whites, sugar corn starch, and a bit of marshmallo cream, so it is very tasty.

Then DGD and I ran errands. I took her to the nursing home to meet some of my "friends" that I visit every week. To the library, post office and to a little grocery where we bought ingredients to make lasagna for tomorrow's dinner. When I got home I made the lasagna and it is in the fridge to be baked before I leave for church in the morning.

DH got home from Indiana about 4pm, so I grilled hamburgers for me and DGD and he had a steak. The Amish lady gave me a pecan pie that didn't sell as payment for taking her and helping her set up. I haven't had any, but DH said it was really good.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, My DH is a scatterbrain,however I think he intended on this one. (they buck heads a lot) My DH is not a planner he does everything a the last minute. I have forgiven him. That is not to say he is off the hook, I have a lot of grass he can now remove for my new garden. lol! I'm not one to get my feelings hurt much. He hurt my Mother and that hurt me more than anything. He's not a bad guy, just scatterbrained.
My Birthday was on Tuesday. I had a good day on my Birthday, DH took me to Cracker Barrel for breakfast after Nick got on the bus for school. Then came home and cleaned and worked in yard.

Would Love to have your Amish neighbor! My DH would have to roll me around! LOL! I have had Whooppee Pie. We went to Strasburg, PA. for vacation several years ago. Very nice place I didn't want to leave.

Sounds like your DGD had a good day together.

I need to get running, going to attempt twister with Nick (son). It will be funny I am sure of that!
Have a Blessed Day! Karen

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Happy Belated Birthday Karen. Last week was a crazy week relationship-wise for me, too. Didn't we have a full moon last week? My DD is getting ready to graduate from college, and she's scared to death. We've been fussing and feuding. I planted some urns for the front porch and even surprised myself they turned out so pretty. If I ever figure out how to post pics, I'll post a picture of them. I'm not much of an artist, but these turned out gorgeous! Gardening is great therapy!!
Maybe this week will be happier for all, at least it's supposed to finally warm up!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Peggy, Thank You! Not sure about the full moon. Congratulation's to your DD! Nerves can cause us to be fussy, they do me anyway. You must be so proud of her.
Gardening is the best therapy! I can't wait to see you urns you planted. I know what you mean about learning to post pics. I'm working on that one myself.
I went shopping and bought a Sunny Knock Out Rose for myself. It is white with yellow center and it says it is fragrant. I have never been much on roses till this one. It made me buy it. lol! Mother Nature watered in good for me.
Have a Blessed Day! Karen

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey y'all! Happy Spring!! Has it finally sprung?! If anyone would like to see the aforementioned urns, I posted a picture on the general Ohio Valley forum page. I meant to post it on this thread, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I'm not very tech minded :( Anyway, enjoy. This is my first attempt at artistry as far as container gardening goes.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2013 8:57 AM

Peggy, looked at your urns and they are gorgeous. You did good.

Did I tell you that we caught a chippie on Sunday morning? Well, he is long gone. The trap has been reset, but no more activity that I can see. I would have thought he would have had a family around, but if so, they are scared, or mourning the demise of the family member.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Bonnie!
I guess the chippie is in Chip Monk heaven. . .sorry, couldn't resist!

Well, since it was a live trap, DH took him about 8 miles away and turned him lose in a wooded area. Maybe he can make more friends and find someone else to terrorize!

Loved your pun!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We will be doing the RU @ Woodland Mound Park just east of Cincinnati.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1308392/

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Glad to hear you caught your little devil.

Hope that he is the only one!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Well, set the live trap last night, and just now heard dog barking of a different variety. When I went out to investigate, the live trap was being batted around between 5 dogs who wanted to get at the occupant. Another chippie, which will be relocated several miles from here. Wahoo, gonna keep setting the trap, cause surely this mom and dad pair had some babies too!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Glad your getting them rounded up. That poor little thing must have been scared to death. Maybe that will be the last of them. Good Luck! Karen

Philo, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Guys,

I have two questions. We have a barred owl who has been eyeing my pond speculatively. Any suggestions as to how to discourage him from eating my fish? The second question is about white forget me nots. I have some. Is there a way to patent them and make a ton of money? How about a small amount? The guy at the nursery last year said I needed to wait a year to see if they came back white for a second year. Well they have, so now what do I do? So far just one small clump but last year I had three small clumps so there may be more coming. Thanks.

Rebecca

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Rebecca, Do you have plants in your pond the fish can hide under? How big is your pond?
White forget me nots would be pretty. Sorry, I don't know about selling plants.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rebbecca it's a TON of money to get plants patented so as to make a ton of money.
DMail Sue...Taynors she can help you w/ the in's and outs.
Or I can get her phone number to you.

On the Owl...... usually you string clear fishing line or put a bird/leaf netting over the pond.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+1917&aid=2957

Gonna post a picture of the new roof.

We went out to eat tonight, and turned the chipmunk loose in the adjoining county. At least we made him change his address!

Thumbnail by defoecat

A lilac bush, a daylily and some columbine.

Thumbnail by defoecat Thumbnail by defoecat Thumbnail by defoecat
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, I like your Lilac and Columbine. I have Nora Barlow Columbine. It should bloom any day now.
I took my son to the school carnival tonight. We had a good time. He won another gold fish. Now we have 5 indoors and 5 out doors. I guess at least they are even for now.
I'm going to watch part of the Reds game. Karen

Philo, OH(Zone 6a)

The owl was back this afternoon. I counted my big fish (I have four) and they were all there. The little fish are too numerous and lively to count but I assume if he wanted a fish he would go for a big one. Perhaps I misjudged him. I looked him up on the internet and fish were not listed as his food. He is welcome to all the rodents, snakes , and frogs he wants. I do have waterlilies but the fish don't stay under them. In a couple of weeks they will be bigger and provide more cover. Henri, could you send me that phone number by Dmail? Thanks.

Rebecca

(I did try to say who cooks for you to him but he looked at me with disdain!)

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Rebecca, Glad to hear the owl is not after your fish. I have a pond in my back, I have 5 goldfish in it. They have been there about 8 or 9 years. They have never vanished. They are going to have some new friends in June though. Anyway, I hope your fish stay safe! Have a blessed day! Karen

Worked outside most of the day. I am slowly getting all the flower beds weeded and presentable looking. My back is telling me how hard I worked.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

It's looking dark out, no rain yet. I'm hoping to get a good rain. I have planted 15 daylilies and need some rain now. This has been a dry spring for me. The rain seems to go around me. Today may be the day.

Bonnie, Glad to hear your beds are looking good. Hope your back feels better. My back seems to slow me down every spring. I have 3 beds left to finish. I have primrose around my pond that I 'm trying to get in check. I'm digging it out , I know I will never get rid of it It looks pretty when in bloom it just takes over. It took me 2 days to get all the gooseneck loosestrife dug out from the other side of pond. I'm kicking out all the problems from my pond this year. Or should I say I'm trying to kick them out. They both have roots that go every where under ground and break off very easy. You live and you learn, and I have learned the hard way about garden thugs!
I need to get going, Sundays are always busy for me. Have a Blessed Day!
Karen

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We are getting the rain here Karen....I'm about 2 miles north of Coney Island.
But very scattered so far.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

The rain is centered over us, I think. We have had about 24hrs of a slow steady cold rain. I think I can even see the grass growing. I've been sore from cleaning up the gardens and moving plants around . I'm glad I got as much done as I did while the warm sunshine was with us. I still have some large pots to plant but everything else seems to be doing well. I don't think we will be able to make the round up this year due to some family plans but I'm not ruled it out all together. I will miss seeing you all if we don't get to attend. Have a quiet restful weekend everyone. I'm heading to the bed to lay and read a book all afternoon. If I don't fall asleep instead.LOL Lou

Back from church and it has been raining steadily since last night about 10pm. Just a steady rain, but by the looks of a creek on the way to church, we have had plenty.

We have a birthday party for a 2 yr old this afternoon. This is a child of some very close friends, so will head there, eat some birthday cake, and I am hoping that I can have part of the afternoon to read and nap.

Columbus, OH

Today was my first market, the weather was lovely and people were out, it was good. I'm home, winding down.

Ric, those cactus pads are rooting already, I bet I'll have some for you in no time.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Any of you people that sell at a FM or other venue, please add to this thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1311115/

Thanks,
Bernie

Well this afternoon in between showers, went to check the live trap, and it is sprung but no critter inside. I am guessing that a dog was snooping around and knocked it over. I will continue setting it until I am satisfied that the chippies are all gone.

Rebecca. I know nothing of getting a patent on plants, and nothing of ponds and fish and owls. Didn't want you to think I was ignoring you, just didn't have any advice that you could have used.

Columbus, OH

Defoecat, I should loan you my old one-eyed sheltie. He killed a mole and a chipmunk today. Ugh.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I got my rain! It has been a nice slow rain off and on, I love it!
I'm north of Hamilton. Just east of Trenton. We are just out of the city far enough to have farm fresh air. I do not live on a farm. My neighbors are farmers. I have had cows loose in my front yard twice in the last 5 years and had cows loose in the back yard once. Nobody was hurt either time.

Bonnie, I was hoping your chippies were all gone. I know mine has not gone anyplace. I saw him this morning eating his seeds on my raised bed. One of these days he's going to wave to me, I just know it. He stares at me as he eats.
I don't have the heart to make him leave and my dogs are not going to help out. I'll just keep paying him off with peanuts and sunflower seeds.

I have to get to bed, everybody have a good night.

Karen

I wouldn't mind them here, but I have one JRT who chased the chippie under our car and in trying to get to him tore all the wires off underneath. He did this not once but 3 times, right after we would bring the car home from getting it fixed. So they have cost me bunches of money!

Columbus, OH

Truman couldn't easily fit under a car, but he knocked over a stack of brand new clay pots once, and a few of them didn't survive the fall. He's a shockingly good hunter for a one-eyed grand dad of a dog.

I am filling a topiary frame this morning, I bought it at a yard sale. It was in the ugliest. plastic. pot. ever. With ugly plastic ivy.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Bonnie, nice roof and pretty flowers. My lilac is just now starting to bud-up. I couldn't wait any longer and planted one whiskey barrel with a San Marzano tomato in the middle and red & white striped zinnias and some herbs around the perimeter. Looks real pretty. I'm going to try to find some true blue flowers to mix in too and make a 4th of July container.
Got some weeding done, and then here came the rains. We have an odd wet spot in the bathroom-not near any pipes, and the roof is not leaking. We've heard that there has been so much rain that a lot of people sewer pipes can't handle it all and they are overflowing. Has anyone heard of such a thing? We're on a slab. . don't even have a crawl space. I'm puzzled.
I sure wish this rain would stop!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone...I see I have been MIA again...!
Read all the posts...nice to see what everyone has been up to! Still thinking on the round up.
We were supposed to go to my sister in laws that weekend, but her grandaughter had a graduation party there this past weekend...so think that worked for both deals...lol.
She is moving to NYC as soon as she sells her house and 80 acres. I think she is going to really miss it...even though I do understand its too much for her to handle alone. What a change that will be though huh?
I've been working around the raindrops too...although not as much rain here as those south of me.
It's still wet!
If there is anything anyone needs in the way of plants...ask away. If I have it, I will be glad to share!
Hoping we can make it this year...still working on the "boss"!!!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie , I would get rid of my chippie in a minute if he cost me like yours cost you. I only have yard pranks from mine. I could not afford your chippie either.

Celene, What are you filling your topiary with?

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.