How Is Your Weather Where You Are for the New Year pt.2

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292154/

We came here from the above. This thread was moved on behalf of Hemlady. I take no credit.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2013 5:25 PM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Mike!!! Have been meaning to do that.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

cloudy, rainy, lots of wind and more wind 60;s ..

Saginaw, MI

Very overcast, rainy, chilly breeze here in Saginaw MI

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

We had upper sixties yesterday. Today upper fifties expected before the bottom drops out. LOL! There is a whisper of possible snow on Friday. Got some foxtail lily in the mail yesterday from Wisconsin.These are the Spring valley hybrids from here in the US. Last week I got two Hydrangeas from up there also. These were potted so I put them in the south facing kitchen window. Got one Incrediball and one Strawberry Vanilla. Anyone here have any experience with these?

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Don't grow hydrangeas but I do grow foxtail lily and they do well here. My Lycoris (naked ladies) are up and growing well.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

My neighbor is moving to Florida and has offered me her hydrangeas. I no nothing about them other than hers are so pretty! I am trying to decide if I have a good spot for them.

Very warm here already in the 70's. Storms possible later today.

Saginaw, MI

Cold, non-stop (pouring) rain for the past two days here . Don't mind the rain , just wish it was a warm rain !! Our chocolate lab is loving it ! She thinks she is at the lake , when really she is just in our yard and at the end of our driveway !!

Thumbnail by sbish5 Thumbnail by sbish5 Thumbnail by sbish5 Thumbnail by sbish5
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Got over 80 here today , hot day !! still waiting for rain.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Rain here too.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hello all! I have been missing in action - and finally got caught up on this thread (and the previous one!). We had lots of rain week before last, almost an entire week of overcast, dreary skies.....but then, since last Thursday we have had beautiful days with sunshine and 70s....even hit 80s yesterday :( I am not really ready to go straight to summer.

It is SUPER hot and muggy this morning! Not a good sign.............. they say we have bad storms coming and a 20 degree temp drop - calling for tornados and bad weather :( I guess spring is officially here.

I love hydrangeas but have such a hard time getting them to grow for me. I finally put some at the far end of my front porch and they are doing better there....... hoping for some pretty blooms this year. We'll see.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Genna

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna to see you, grin!
We got some overnight rain. The plants are happy, they told me so when I went out this morning. LOL! The worms didnt like the rain, they are all over the driveway. Small chance of snow or mixed rain expected tonight. Our friends in MN and WI are getting buried with snow and ice. Hang in there Gary, Philljm and company.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

We actually had thunderstorms yesterday. Today looks no different. Probably will get more rain today. I swear the daylilies look like they grew an inch already from all this rain. But, I need some good weather to clean out the beds. Boy do they look awful with all that old dead foilage around them.

Wyoming, MN

Some of the worst weather this winter. Was a slow drive home from work this morning.

Gary

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Got some light rain last night. We are going into the sixties for Sunday and Monday with small chance of rain. Cindy I know you leave your foliage to protect the plants, but, I usually remove most of mine late fall early winter. I will be doing some general yard clean up tomorrow so that I can take the winter left overs to the local compost site. The Weeping Willow that DW bought from Aldie's in 2007 (one of her fav tree) sheds more than a house cat. Willow hiding behind grape vine.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I haven't checked in here in a bit. I'll catch up when I can. Spring is slow coming here. Not that things aren't growing. It's just that it hasn't been warm enough for my tastes. Last week the warmest day was in the low 70s, which was great, but it happened to be on my Monday (which is Tuesday). I so wanted to stay home and work in the gardens. This week is going to be like that again. My Monday (Tuesday) will be the warmest day of the week. Not that last Monday wasn't nice, cause it was. It was in the 60s, and I was in shorts. Got a lot done in the gardens, too.

Karen

Sleet/rain here still cold there is plenty of snow on the ground. Haven't been out in the garden yet this year so wishing for some warmer temps....Betty

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Betty, Hang in there ! It will improve soon. We are going up to near seventy just for today. They are forecasting a couple days this week in the low sixties. Rain chance the first several days. So far as measured in the town less than two miles away they have gotten three inches of rain.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Glad you are getting some rain Mike...... . I know most places at least are still behind on rainfall. We have had quite a bit of rain, and the river has jumped up but they say we are still actually behind on rainfall. I know we need to make it up now because summer will be here soon!

I haven't gotten much done outside - just little things here and there - too many other irons in the fire. But I sure have a lot to do and I need to get on it. The pollen here is BAD - and everything has a layer of yellow! LOL...... looks like the possibility of more rain today....I think there is only about a 20% chance, but it is overcast and looks like it could pour. Which would be beneficial in washing away at least some of the pollen! ^_^

I heard on the radio that some areas are getting pounded with snow storms............. I guess those areas don't know that it is spring! Hope you get some warm temps soon!

Genna

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I hope you guys without rain will get some soon. I would hate for you all to go through another summer like last year. That was too much. We've had a decent amount, but could use a bit more. Temps were nice today, and I got some work done, but didn't get to spend all day outside as I would have liked, as I drove my sister to the airport in Providence. Good thing I wasn't going to Boston. Horrible tragedy that happened there. I pray for all the people who've been affected.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen I agree with you on the prayers for all those that are affected by the tragedy in Boston. They are talking about the possibility of THREE to FOUR inches of rain around here the new few days. For those of you that have access to Walgreens, (Hemlady excluded)LOL! They have 4lbs bags of Epsom salt for $4 with their card and you get a $4 credit off your next purchase. I saw the same amount in the other "WAL....) store for almost $5.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Seems to be a redundant theme , Don't like this , don't like that ' so make an IED and blow everybody up . Traditional targeting and aggravation , I saw a 9/11 in east Germany back in 1963 , So it has all been coming our way for a while , They (whoever) could have it back or of kept it to begin with , It does cause the grief it was meant to ..
To us, we grieve with the suffering of those who have suffered, as truthfully they are as us .
Thunderstorms , rain and gray here , kind of cold too . typical spring ...Mood is near the same ..

I wish someone would press the button to turn off the snow. I would except I can't find it.

6" of snow and more to come. Just melting and then we had more. Winter storm warning until Wednesday for 10 to 15" of snow by Wednesday. 21 degrees.

Glad I did all the weeding and transplanting last month. Still will need to do some weeding but the worst is done. I need to cut down my floribunda roses. Didn't get to that.

Transplanted baby irises into 6-packs that were large enough.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Sunny here today but supposed to get cold again by the weekend.

Anyone else having trouble signing in to Dave's using Firefox??? I have had to go back and use AOL as my browser so that I can get on here. Firefox won't let me get on Dave's.

Still snowing lightly. 18" or more of snow. 18 degrees.

Thumbnail by
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the heads up on the ES at Walgreens, Mike! I'm glad to hear you're going to get so much rain soon.

Blomma, keep the snow over there. We're finally getting warm.

Juhur7, I hope you get some better weather to improve your mood.

Karen

Karen,
I will keep it all. We need all the moisture we can get. Last summer had very little rain and it was dry and hot. I am hoping we don't have drought this summer again.

I got all the weeding done already plus moved some plants so I am not in any hurry. All I need to do is trim back evergreens and my roses. Probably go over for weeds that germinated since I weeded.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

The rain is coming down in truck loads! LOL! Some streets and expressway are flooded. In some of the northern suburbs near creeks and rivers they are using sand bags to protect homes. They are predicting over a foot of snow for our friends in MN. I am glad that it's not cold around here to snow. We would be up that creek without a paddle. Lilly, I am glad you are getting some well needed moisture. The snow will melt in time and make things beautiful!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Lots of thunderstorms over night here. Supposed to be near 80 with a tornado watch until 6pm. That is one part of spring I do not like, tornado watches.

Snowing here again today getting heavier by the minute. These weather systems just don't let spring really get started here although my tulips are starting to grow close to the house where they get protection....Betty

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Hard to believe those huge snowstorms are still coming for you guys!!

Rain/thunderstorms.

Wyoming, MN

Snow today and Friday. Then a reprieve on Saturday. But then wait! More snow on Sunday. Weatherman says doesn't see temps beyond 40's the next 2 weeks. Thankful for indoor gardening. At least the orchids are blooming.

Gary

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh my goodness! The weather is so sporadic - and spring is refusing to show for many of you..... can't believe you are still getting so much snow! it has been warm here all week - actually HOT a couple of days hitting the upper 80s!! It was 89 yesterday when I was trying to work outside..... I love 70s, mid 80s is OK but UPPER 80s!! Come on, it is ONLY April!! But, guess we are shooting for weekly averages or something because the front came thru and thankfully we didn't get the tornadoes they were warning us might come, but tonight the low is supposed to drop to 33 -34...... from one extreme to the other!!

Most of my DLs are doing very well and growing, although apparently I did lose several of the dormant ones because they aren't showing any signs of growth :( What do ya'll use the ES for? I put out all the osmocote that I had yesterday trying to fertilize my DLs before the pending rain.....but I didn't make it around to all of them before I ran out. Should I be using ES instead? Please enlighten me.....

hope everyone stays safe and warm in this crazy weather!

Genna

Was sunny today. Almost forgot what sun looks like. Snow is melting at record speed. Great moisture before it blows away.

Genna, ES contains Magnesium Sulfate, which is a plant nurtrient. Used as 2 tablespoons around base of each plant and lightly rake or scratch in to soil. Can also be used on the lawn. Info is right on the container. It is used in addition to plant food since it is not complete plant food, just a supplement.

Rain tomorrow and Saturday, snow Sunday and Monday. Part sun on Tuesday. Oh well.....

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice warm weather here, low 60s, but cloudy. Humidity is up, though, so it doesn't feel cold.

I hope you stony have a drout this year, blomma. I hope none of y'all have drout. That wouldn't be good.

Glad you're getting all that rain, Mike.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for that info! What do ya'll use as a fertilizer on your DLs? and do you fertilize now?? I didn't do that last year, but I was told that I should be fertilizing early as they are getting established for the season to have better blooms....... just wondering what ya'll do.

It was 41 here this morning, but is a beautiful 70 degrees outside with sunshine now..... going to take off work a couple of hours early to try to mow my jungle that is supposed to be my yard! If I didn't have weeds, I wouldn't even need to mow :( We put out a bunch of weed killer in the back yard last weekend and most of it is still as green as ever.... not good.....

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

30's Drizzle ,,,strong wind ,, That say's it all

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I fertilize with an 8-24-24. And I did it about a week ago.

Quote from gen2026 :
What do ya'll use as a fertilizer on your DLs? and do you fertilize now?? I didn't do that last year, but I was told that I should be fertilizing early as they are getting established for the season to have better blooms....... just wondering what ya'll do.

First feeding should be in the spring when plants start in active growth. Then after blooming. That is what I have been told, and do. That works for irises also.

Quote from happytail :
I fertilize with an 8-24-24. And I did it about a week ago.

That is a good mix. Since you are in a warm zone, you can feed earlier in the season..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.