April Weather-No Fooling!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

a toasty 36F here.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

6% humidity

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

51 and breezy. All in all a nice day. Cold this morning with temps in 30s but didn't take long to work up a sweat.

Tulips surrounding lilac bush in middle with deuztia flanking it.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sunny all day so half of yesterday's snow is melted.
Cold tonight. 30ş

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Cold again. Supposed to be 40 in the am. May break records.

I saw a beautiful jet black with fluorescent green and yellow striped ribbon.....Garter snake on the patio a couple of days aga. His colors were just striking. He was beautiful, and I don't even like snakes. I hope he stays warm.

Furnace is back on again.

(Zone 7a)

I love garter snakes. I saw on in my yard last year. They do just fine here.

It's been raining for about a half an hour now. So nice to hear. 50ş.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Kelli- hot now then June Gloom. We are expecting a freeze tonight. Austin is supposed to break a record low by 11* held since the 1950s.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

36 and light snow now ,, average is upper 40's low 50's Frozen 31 an hour or so ago . that will return towards morning ... If you all see spring , send spring around this way if you get a chance to ,, purrtty pleeeze !!lol

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

A nice little cool front coming through today, only up to 72 and rain. Had some good rain last night also. Rain barrel full again. Husband cleaned the shed out and we have a beautiful corn snake living in it, I tried to get a good photo but it moved around the garden too fast.

Lily, looks like the snow is sort of melting, love those cute houses.
CG- nice photo of the snow. You know I love the snow pics.
pepper those tulips are so pretty.
Love the blossom pictures too. Juhur and kwanjin.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

A balmy 20ş this morning. Sunny, so may warm up fast.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

-1C feels like -8

On this date, in 1980, we were 30C/86F

Garter snakes are coming out in the warmer parts of Saskatchewan now....yours will do fine TexasGal.

"Saskatchewan hospital evicts garter snakes
Garter snakes had turned a crawl space beneath a hospital in southwestern Saskatchewan into a warm den for the winter and began to emerge as spring approached."
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/04/19/saskatchewan_hospital_evicts_garter_snakes.html

They are my favourite snake as well...I was almost afraid to ask which snake it was that Sunkissed posted (the worst one we have here is the very rarely spotted,and Government protected, Northern rattlesnake) but then I read her post and saw it is a corn snake. I wouldn't be a happy camper down there with all the nasties that are unknown to me slithering, crawling and creeping round and about.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2013 11:16 AM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Kelli it is time to quit being greedy with that heat of yours and SHARE!!! Please, pretty please, with sugar on top!!! (just not too much though)

I'd love to share if I could.

57 for high with sunshine and a strong breeze (at least at my grandma's house). A little chilly in the sunshine and cold in the shade.

Yellow hyanciths blooming. I have 2 Cityline series hydrangas and some astilibe in the bed there also. Astilibe is up but hydranga taking it's sweet time.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oh in a round and about way I think you will be Kelli :o) and I thank your State from the bottom of my frozen toes!

Mid 60s for high with sunshine and strong breeze.

(Zone 7a)

Beautiful 66ş and sunny here today. I got plants in the ground...a perennial poppy, 4 daylilies, a penstemon and a variegated heliopsis. Cherry trees, tulips, daffs are blooming. Everything else is coming up and showing flower buds.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

"It's late April and the northern hemisphere is still showing a lot of snow cover. Record in fact (on pace to break the April record going back to the 1960s), this is something we see in early winter not heart of spring. Pretty amazing thing going on up there in the northern latitudes and a still frozen Canada."

http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/snow-ice-cover.html

Currently -8C here...countryside still covered in white but in town, where there is Urban Heat Island effect flooding has now started and Thunder Creek is now flowing (except this morn until we warm up again).

(Zone 7a)

Yikes! That doesn't sound good at all.

49ş and cloudy.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

More snow. Started mid afternoon. Good for 4 to 7 they say.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

CG, Anything planted outside yet?

I may try to plant the first planting of sweet corn tomorrow....under clear plastic.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

No way. Freezes every night. High only in 40's

Currently 64 with rain in the area though mostly north of me. Tomorrow chance of snow.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

These weather patterns are crazy mostly 30's & 40's here , 60's today . 50's tomorrow?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Lookout below! The big snow pack in northern 2/3 of MN is going to start melting this week. Temperatures will be in the 70's this weekend. It will melt fast & raise the mighty Mississippi in a flash. I lived in Minneapolis in 1965, when we had the same thing going on. River was highest in history then. Flooding all over the area.

Snow overnight, maybe 4". Sunny now. 22ş

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

-2 and the same warm up is expected here.

Our river is expected to crest near the record breaking '74 levels...the Red, in North Dakota, will also be reaching (1st) crest levels sometime next week.

Poor Manitoba.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

63 degrees stormy , rainy .. Looks like lots of water this year...?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Has there ever been a normal year?

Sure, the year end totals may average out 'normal'.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

HELLO Indy I hear there is some flooding going on in your direction ? Close to you or farther away . Not bad here so far..

I don't think there is ever a 'normal' year out here. We have averages, which are a bunch of numbers added together and divided, but we rarely have an 'average' year. It's always hotter, colder, drier, wetter, etc.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

juhur7, No, there is no flooding around here. There is field ponding from so much rain. Elwood apparently had some. It is very level there.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you California....+6/42.8F here today

Currently 34 and dropping. We are under a freeze warning for tonight. But will reach low 50s tomorrow. 70s here for the weekend also. Bring it on!! I have stuff sitting in garage protesting.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

It was supposed to be 80 here today and a cold front was supposed to come in tonight. However, it arrived early and was in the 60s at 3:00. I really think THEY really should just step outside and tell us what the real weather is. Lol

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Coldest spring in a century

Historical record breaking snowfall

Saskatchewan captured today...:

Thumbnail by Lilypon Thumbnail by Lilypon Thumbnail by Lilypon Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Currently -4C

Since we've just broken a record that has stood for over 100 years, here is a look back at the past (this year seems to combine both 1904 and 1907). For the heck of it take a look at a map of Canada to see the distance between Moose Jaw, SK and Medicine Hat, AB...that is the distance cattle ran (if they survived) to escape the blizzards in 1904:

MJTH 10/5/48

To show the vagaries of the weather, Mr. Stokins mentions that on Christmas Day 1903 and again on New Year’s Day, 1904, baseball was played with the players in their shirt sleeves, and several pictures were taken of the games by the late Lou Maples, who was then foreman switchman for the C.P.R. “I think there still are several of the men who took part in those games living.”

However, after the winter did strike, around January, it was one of the worst we had seen for a long time,” says this pioneer of Moose Jaw. The blizzards drove all the cattle off the ranches South of Moose Jaw in a stampede to escape the storms.

They never stopped, except for exhaustion, and then they died on their feet. Lots of these dead cattle were seen the following summer alongside the C.P.R. right-of-way.

“Those cattle that did keep going finished up in the Belly River south of Medicine Hat, Alberta, and the ranchers suffered an immense loss, which I think was later taken care of by the Dominion Government, as at that time the provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta did not exist.”

That winter of 1904 was followed by a comparatively mild winter of 1905 and 1906, but was followed by one that started in November, 1906, and finished about the end of April, 1907.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

In February of that year (1907) there was a coal shortage which was so bad that the C.P.R. attached coal trucks to their regular passenger trains. There was about 80 tons of coal in the Methodist Church on Main Street, and the contractor, John Toye, voluntarily let this go in half-tons lots to keep people from freezing.

“I am very glad, indeed, to see the efforts that have been put forward to relieve the suffering that has been encountered in the park area this year,” said Harry Stokins, “and also to see the fine contributions made by the Red Cross Society on behalf of the sufferers. This will probably show to everyone contributing to the Red Cross how these funds are used in cases of emergency. At the present time our people do not have to be asked twice to contribute to any worthy cause such as this.”

Flooding in 1904
Throughout the district there is an unprecedented amount of water on the prairies and yet, there is a lot of snow and ice to melt.” -- Moose Jaw Times. Seven bridges are destroyed, numerous homes damaged, boathouses destroyed, sandbagging carried out at many locations.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2013 8:10 AM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Those that will be inheriting some of Saskatchewan's joys soon look to be a wee bit South of us and a wee bit East.

Look out around May 3rd! :O

(looks to be near to you Bernie)

This message was edited Apr 24, 2013 8:14 AM

20% chance of rain tonight. We'll see

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Chilli this AM, but warmed up a little. Clear blue skies. Absolutely beautiful out!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cold here 37 with a wind chill of 30 , Here we go again!!! Will the cold ever end ,this 80 degrees to 30 degrees has got to go!!! Plants are okay with rain and no frost , only we aren't ,,
rainy still, cloudy , windy , forecast mid-forties later today , (I doubt it makes it)
Same forecast for tonight as last night mid 30's and windy , Generally miserable feeling weather ! lol I am sure you all comprehend ..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.