Spring Seed Starting 2013 #2

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think hollyhocks are prone to mildew yellowing the lower leaves... but just stick them behind something else (as you would anyway with their height).

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

A number of the Hollyhock varieties on this site are listed as mildew resistant.
http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/perennials/hollyhocks.html

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW!!! WOW!!!! How gorgeous they all are!!!!

Won't even have enough room or sun for any of these.... my neighbor, Olga, has room--and in full sun too...
Maybe I should talk her into growing some--so I can see too......

Hollyhocks are direct sow--right, Judy? Easy--bloom the same year? Yes?
G.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Gita, I'm just going by the descriptions under each variety on swallowtail seed site...each variety is a little different and some are definitely biennials and will bloom the second year from seed. But some varieties say will bloom first year from seed in 3-4 months if started in early spring....Don't know much beyond what I read on the site. They sure are beautiful. Some places sell them in starter 4 packs but I've always passed them by because I thought all were biennials and didn't like to be transplanted. Good to get an update! For instance:

"SPOTLIGHT SERIES HYBRIDS
Hollyhock Seeds
Alcea rosea hybrids

Seed stock collected from around the world has been reselected and hybridized in Germany for 18 years. The wait has been long, however the results have recently been released and are extraordinary; the first true perennial single hollyhock series. Plants grow to 6 feet tall and bloom from late spring through early fall. Blooms the first year when started early. Winter hardy to zone 3. "

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Aspenhill, check out the description of Coral Bells Heuchera 'Melting Fire" from the swallowtail seed site. Amazing size __________________________________________________________________________
MELTING FIRE
Coral Bells Seeds
Heuchera hybrida

This showy first year blooming shrub grows to 2 feet tall the first season, producing large, long-lasting clusters of 1-2 inch clusters of brilliant rosy-red blooms in summer and fall. The foliage turns shades or crimson and burgundy in autumn. Remarkably versatile, it can be grown as accent plants at the back of borders, or in large containers. Grown as annual in zones 6 and under, in zones 7 and above it is a long-lived perennial growing up to 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Thumbnail by coleup
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Pretties!!!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Judy, I love all the online research you come up with. That site has an amazing variety of hollyhocks. I don't know why I've always loved hollyhocks, but I do. I just picked up what they had at HD - summer carnival - doubles in shades of pink. I'll have to try some of the varieties from that web site - I may order now and plant anyway, even if it might be a little late in the season. That heuchera looks interesting too, although for some reason I haven't had much luck with heucheras here.

Warrenton, VA

Yesterday afternoon, after a hard day at the office, I came home, and it was SO NICE outside that I started some light weeding so I had a "reason" to be outside...well, it grew into me throwing on my gardening clothes, moseying out to the veggie garden, and before I knew it, my wheelbarrow was FULL of flotsum and jetsum...been wanting to yank those old asparagus stalks and OUT THEY WENT.
When my husband came home, he came over, saw me wreaking havoc with some of that horrible wiregrass that you NEVER can get rid of but I have basically buggered it into submission into a couple of corners...LOL!
He watered our big landscape trees, then we went for a walk down into the back, where it is swampy - I guess there are lots of springs there. (And mosquitoes of course.) There were a couple of pristine clumps of Jonquils, that old heritage type with the double/triple bloom and dark yellow color...
Since Hubby has hand-dug most of the garden, and last night helped alot, and the seedlings inside now with 6" wide leaves - on the zucchini...bottom line, I can see the garden and plants readying themselves for each other. How rewarding!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sounds very productive, gracye!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, productive and enjoyable. Doesn't it just make you feel so good.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Gracye I love how you said that you
"can see the garden and the plants readying themselves for each other"

Thank you, I'm going to nurture that perspective myself.

Are the Spring Peepers singing for you all? They are here.

Aspenhill I do hope I get to see your place sometime soon! I've just read that varieties of Heuchera with 'villosa' in their make up are better at withstanding our hot humid summers than those without that parentage. Georgia Peach has done better than many others I've tried. Species Tiarella also do well, but are far less spectacular and much the native wildflower they are.

Warrenton, VA

We are being blessed by the good Lord for our greening yearnings today! I have today off, and am not going to church, except in my own church called my garden. The dangerous situation today is that I have a special coupon from Meadows Farms, and they are only 1 mile down the road from me...need humus, Black Cow, top soil...and oh, I am ITCHIN' to get a couple of Peach trees in my father's honor, but BAMBI is, I'm quite sure, voting for this as well. (!)
Spring Peepers were singing about a month ago, when we had a warm stretch, but went back to hibernating status, like most of us (except my steroidal seedlings-I bought everything from Southern Seed Exchange and am SO IMPRESSED).
Enjoy today, my friends!
I took a sinus pill, started laundry, am going to get my gardening clothes on and oh yes, I want to bake a loaf of bread, made the old-fashioned way...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Not sure why but no spring peepers singing at my house.
Gracye, Sounds like it will be a blessed day for you. I'm heading out side soon as it warms up a bit more.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well the plugs and sewn flats have arrived in good condition. I am sure you all know what I'll be doing for the next few days. The flats cart I constructed is working quite well as 10 flats were unloaded directly onto it. I just may have to build another.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Got your work cut out!
Hoping to see more happen in wintersown with this weeks warmer days and nights.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm hoping to see something in the jugs also, Sally.

Ric, do you now have heat and ventilation in your green house? I have that sun room, but I still need to heat It at night.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

No spring peepers here yet. When they are in full swing, the sound is over the top - I love it. Has anyone ever made an actual list of their favorite things? I started one several years ago as a therapeutic excercise - spring peepers is on it. I had forgotten that list and how it serves as a quick morale booster. Need to resurrect it and keep it handy for daily re-reads and additions. Most of my things had to do with nature, imagine that LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Something else sprouted in one of my WS bottles outside--a bunch of Rudbeckia Hirta--
the pretty double yellow . So happy to see these growing! You can seethe pic.on my trade list....
I am at work--cannot send you a picture....

Alyssum was up already weeks ago. Still tiny---when can you plant these in beds????
They are about 1/3rd" tall....
G.

Still waiting for some winter sow that I can bring to the Swap. So far I've only listed some of the indoor sown seedlings.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Teri we do have heat and vents in the GH. The whole story is over here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1291535/
The original is here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243490/

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is the Rudbeckia Hirta....

I have not had it now for 3 years--but the seeds germinated....Wooo---Hoooo..
So tiny--I don't know how ready they can be for the Swap---not hoping too much..

Thumbnail by Gitagal

You know, Ric, I could never figure out what good a green house would be without heat and ventilation. What am I missing?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Just FYI---

Home Depot is having a lot of things on sale right now--under their "Black Friday in April"
sales. A lot of good stuff to help us gardeners get started...

Relative ti this Thread---Buy ANY packet of seeds and get one free.....Pretty good!!!

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's still "Black Friday?!" LOL Good to know! I figured we'd missed it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This sale actually goes until 4/13--this coming Saturday. Nice, long sale!

Bought $74 worth of stuff today. Needed some solid blocks (10)--NOT on sale!
They were out of the MG Garden Soil--4/$10. Will get it later this week.

Do you get the circular in the newspaper, Jill? Mine always comes with the Wednesday paper.
G.

I decided to get more Petunia seeds since I have so many stacked pots to fill. Tomorrow I'll put them either under lights or indoors near windows. I probably won't get any blooms until August!!!

Warrenton, VA

SallyG - I started my Zucchini right on time, according to the Frost date, etc. But, I had a HUGE head start with my brand new 2-tier seed starting cabinet. WOW! I have NEVER seen such seedlings grown indoors as what I have. The Zucchini are heritage, and I have not seen this variety grown, so it must be naturally steroidal. I got my seeds from Southern Seed Exchange, and the proof is in the puddin,' so they say...and the puddin' is very rich from SSE!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"naturally steroidal" LOL

Gita, we haven't gotten a "paper" newspaper in a few years, now... and I think I miss the circulars (Wed & Sun) more than the rest!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Critter, just couldn't resist a off topic (OT) comments From personal experience I know that most newspapers offer free home delivery of weekly ad pacs. The ones I deliver are called "Sunday Choice", same ads as the Sunday paper but delicered on Fir or Sat.

Big box stores like HD are pushing online connectivity and have smart phone apps and email 'alerts' for store-wide or in-store specials.

Plant labels now contain scans for smart phone users for more detailed info .growing instructions, suggested companion plants, 'you might also like' and 'others also bought these items' type features.

Each scan or purchase or inquiry becomes part of our own data base/customer profile in cyberspace so that our 'buying experience' can be enhanced and gathered info/preferences marketed and sold to other enterprises. 'enuf said on the future we're creating...

PS Many of the black friday sales are "while supplies last" as the end point of availability rather than a date.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Coleup, the spring peepers are singing here now. Love it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Coleup! Smart phone is still pretty well into the future for us I think... We don't even text! *gasp*
(We're so "connected" with study computer, laptop, even the TV has a computer... I don't need connectivity 24/7, and indeed I am resisting it!)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I, actuaally, think the line---"As long as supplies last"--is used as a "hook" to get people
to rush in and buy things --just so they won't miss out on something.

When you think, that all Big Box circulars are for ALL stores across the country--
how could ALL of them be short on the same things---"as long as supplies last"?????
Just Retail gimmics......

Jill, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I don't even use my cell phone. It sits in my purse and dies...
I re-charge it and put it back in my purse......it sits there and dies....etc...etc....

Smart phone? I think I am "smart" enough......:o) I have a house ohine--that's it...

I don't text (on what???)--I don't Face Book...(they can bug you to death)....I don't Twitter (what's that?)....
All the birds outside fill THAT gap.....Skyping??? not sure who would like to see my face w/o make up?
My Space??---I HAVE "my space"----it is also called "my HOME".....

DG fills all those "needs" for me--the blogging, the texting, the sharing of pictures and all that.
I don't need another "addiction"......
Gita

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

So when do I move my WS seeds?? Newbie!

Paul where are they now? How big are the seedlings getting, if at all? And why am I even piping up when I have very little experience ??

I would leave 'well enough alone' and only change when they are drying out too fast or getting crowded etc.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Well they are in a sheltered spot that gets evening sun. Some are just starting to grow others are really really crowded and maybe half an inch high. I'll have to take some pictures this weeekend.

can I WS annuals now?? :)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Paul--Sally's right...sounds good to me....

Are the seeds only from last year? Moving, or re-potting seedlings is better when they are young.
Less root damage. You can always prick them out--pot them in a 4" pot, and dig the pots back into
the bed to grow another year. The do grow very slowly.
Remember the one I gave you at sally's Swap? That was in it's 3rd year of growing...
Of course, like Sally's amazing soil where hers grows--it grew much, much faster.

The below picture (I already posted this once) is a naturally dropped seed--that germinated
on its own in the bed. I dug it up and put it in a 4" pot. Just stuck it in the back of that little bed
right next ti the WS bed.This picture was taken in October of the same year.

Also, remember--that the WS is a deciduous shrub--so even the little seedlings will lose all their leaves
in late fall and be just a stick.
Yes! A picture would help......G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I still have seed to sow for this year, mostly tender annuals and veggies. One of the things I want to try is sowing my red beets in a flat to transplant directly to a bed. My GUncle swore by this method. The one bit of info I never got was, how he did the transplant. I'm assuming he transplanted in the evening so they had time to stand up before the sun hit them, or used a row cover to shade them for a couple of days. Trial and error or does someone have experience with this?

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

HELP!!

The Himalayan blue poppy. Ahhh quite successful. I'm looking for guidance on my next step.

Gita I'm sorry for the confusion I was refering to winter sown with WS not winter sweet.

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp

yup Ric, I feel asleep at the wheel just realized I need to do cukes, squash....more before we go too much longer.

egads Paul, feast or famine thats the way with seeds!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Quote from UMD_Terp :
HELP!!

The Himalayan blue poppy. Ahhh quite successful. I'm looking for guidance on my next step.

Providing guidance: Bring them to the Swap. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.