Spring Seed Starting 2013 #2

(Zone 7a)

Since I can not access the present thread of this topic on slow dial-up, could y'all purty please link to this new one and come on over?

Also, if someone could cut-and-paste the posts for around March 20 to today from the old thread to this one, I would be thrilled.

I'm planning to continue wintersowing, just switching to calling it springsowing, and I thought this would be a good spot to record what works this late and what doesn't.

Thanking fellow seed sowers in advance for helping me out here,
Karen

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292466/

This message was edited Apr 1, 2013 9:27 AM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Bluepspiral -- nice to see you posting! See you over at coleup's new thread, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304449/

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Karen bluespiral appears to have been first so.......please continue here.

We came from :
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292466/

Roses R Red said today:
No more seeds indoors!!! No more room indoors!! There are also 50 milk jugs with winter sown seeds on the deck. I think that I'll direct sow the remainder of my seeds. They won't go right into the beds, however. Instead I'll go to "The Junk Lady" and buy a bunch of her nursery planter pots and sprinkle the seeds in these. I like to do it this way because I have a better ideal of what's going on with them.

Right now, I'm using large trays to carry the re-potted seedlings in and out to the unheated sun room during the day. I use a portable heater if the temperature doesn't come up enough, but, if the sun shines, I actually need to raise the window on the storm door a little during the day. At night, I need to remember to bring in the 4 large trays onto one of the kitchen tables.

This gets really busy and I loose lots of seedlings when I spend time baby sitting at on of our kids houses. DH doesn't keep up with the watering, moving plants around, adjusting lights and etc. Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304449/#ixzz2OluQniPk

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I checked my WS seeds to see if I needed to add any moisture to any of them. My blue poppies were popping like crazy.

(Zone 7a)

Thank you everyone very much for continuing the old thread for us slow dial-uppers and the welcome. Nice to see you too, Happy & Sally, and welcome to coleup and UMD_Terp.

I need to get a bit more organized before sharing my seed successes so far, but off the top of my head, I was surprised to see Allium christophii (from a 2011 trade) germinate a couple of weeks ago, since alliums (ornamental onions) are often not thought to be viable beyond a year. I wintersowed quite a lot of seed older than known viability limits, so results will be interesting one way or another.

Terp - wow on germinating those blue poppies (Meconopsis?) - congratulations! I wonder if it's too late to "wintersow" some white Meconopsis betonicifolia 'alba' that were traded to me outdoors now? Maybe I'll split the seeds and try half in barely moistened vermiculite inside baggy in refrigerator and the other half in vermiculite inside tupperware outdoors. This experiment will be based upon:

Tom Clothier's specs for germination - http://tomclothier.hort.net/page03.html - looks perfect for spring sowing

JonnaSudenius' vermiculite method using sealed, no drainage or vented containers - http://www.seedsite.eu/zaaiinstructies.htm - I really like this method for being relatively damping-off fungus free for sowing at both warm & cold temps (although so far I've been wintersowing the traditional way with vented milk jugs and fluffed up potting medium with a surface of gritty sand).

-------------------
Evidently, there's many different ways to sow one kind of seed in some cases. If some seeds fail to germinate with the wintersowing method I've used so far, it's handy to know I can try some of those seeds again as late as June with some spending time beforehand in the frig or freezer according to their respective needs (well, I've sown sweet william in August that came through the winter fine, as well as direct sown larkspur in December ditto).

Karen

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

blue spiral I like both of your links.

Under the tomclothier one I looked at hellebores and can see why so few of us get babies under our established plants!

Also good to know that we can provide winter in our fridges in case we don't get much of one. If at first we don't succeed....

Quick question, after seeds have germinated can you thin them and plant the thinings in a new WS container til plant out or pot up time? Or, since WS seeds like/need cool/cold can you just plant them in the garden regardless of unprotected weather as long as frost/freeze danger has passed?

Thinking of you Roses with all those babies to care for!

Terp you should be a popular fellow come swap time if you have some blue poppies to share/spare! Way to go.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I don't think the indoor sown seedlings can go out in a winter sow container. The seeds put out in the containers come up when they can survive the outdoors. The ones sown inside do not have that choice. Just my opinion with unconfirmed logic.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

But WS seeds sown outdoors could be thinned and thinnings put in an empty/new WS container?

I agree that indoor seeds can't go outside without some hardening off depending on the weather.

Roses, I hope your indoor seeds adapt well to you 'loving Grandma" style of care! Bless you.

I've never thinned the WS containers, but it's a great idea and I'll try it this year!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It is easier than you think. Some of our plants come in open seeded flats so we need to separate and pot them as soon as we get them. These are plants that may not have their true leaves yet. I have plug trays that I transfer them into. I use chop sticks or thin wooden skewers to help me separate them. I fill the plug trays with something like promix or seed starter soil. Something nice and light I don't water till after they are replanted and they don't look real good when I am finished but the next day they are standing back up. I use the chopsticks and skewers to put a hole in the potting mix and push the new plant into, then use them to push the dirt in close to the new plant. It can be tedious when you have a couple of hundred to do but it is relaxing. One trick is to have the soil at the right moisture level. You don't want it too wet or too dry. If it is too dry the soil doesn't flake apart easy and if too wet you have a sodden mess. Ric did a great job last year didn't loose hardly any and he doesn't have the best fingers for small work.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I also did it commercially for years, it is relaxing in a way, but boring, a great time for a book on tape. I'd resown my datura
the day I was whining and they are already up.

You're right! I've done that kind of transplanting with the indoor plants that I sow right into a roasting pan filled with Promix or Fafard. At first I dread having to do it, but once I get started it IS relaxing and almost captivating!!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

On the old seed starting thread Grayce posted this on 3/27
Gracye wrote:
It really NEEDS to get above freezing soon, for my newly-potted up seedlings are basically steroidal and my whole living room (I don't have a rec room or dining room) is now a greenhouse.
The zucchini are string to bloom, and the doggone Morning Glories are doing their best to grow into the crevices in the panelling...yikes!
I am trying to give them a walk every day to our cold frame, but jeese, it is very hard to do as the consistency is off - yesterday it was fine, but today it is Winter again.
I do see that my ornamental Plum tree has a ton of buds on it today.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

and Holly posted her excitement that the seeds she saved from her 'Bonfire' begonias have sprouted!

Kudos, Holly. Hope you do have some to share!

Gita , thanks for your begonia pictures. Lovely.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Roses and Ric. I'm with you. I too find it relaxing and enjoyable to turn one tray of seedings or plugs into many! Amazing how quickly that potting or up-potting can fill a shelf, coldframe, porch, greenhouse!

Ric, I enjoyed those days when we started with and 'empty' green house and le left with 'full' ones.

Grow Plants Grow!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I am also at the crossroads with having to pot up my seedling plants, that are now 2+" tall.
Everything is doing well--but I dread trying to find a place to put any and all the re-potted seedlings.
A greenhouse sure is good for that....
Mine are all still under lights. The Snapdragons are getting tall. "Ibertoo" said to pinch out the tops,
but they are too fine for me to try to do that. maybe i will use my cuticle scissors to do it...

Potted up almost all my Daturas the other day. They were growing so big--had to be done.
Will have a few to share--for sure. I want to pass some on to a few people at work as well.

I am a bit disappointed at the lack of germination of the ornamental purple and black Peppers.
Whassup???
A;ll Zinnias are doing well. Glad to see my self-collected seeds growing.
I was VERY careful to save only the ones that had "substance"--as so many of them can be empty.

Paul---How far along are your Blue poppies? Mine are thin strands of seedlings--about 1" tall.
I am afraid to even touch them. They had the fridge treatment for a month--and then
I potted the seeds and waited for them to germinate and then put them under very low lights.
These are 2' fluorescents--I think barely 25 Watts?
Can you post a picture of yours? I will take one and post it here in a minute.

Ric--My gardening "career" also started when i was hired by the Wholesale grower
to transplant seedlings from cells into market packs. 10 M-packs per tray earned us 70 cents.
You learn to work VERY fast....

OK! here are some pictures. Getting camera now...... Gita

1--Snaps. seedlings-top. Basil--below
2--Asst. Zinnias
3--Daturas--potted up in 4" pots
4--Tiny Blue Poppy seedlings. SOOO fragile!
5--All my Easter Cactus babies. None blooming yet...

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Came back from Easter trip to a bunch of pepper seedlings on the cusp between wilted and dried up... waiting to see how many come back from the brink, but I think I'll be restarting a good many. Rats. Tomato seedlings are doing really well, although I've got 3 times as many as I need... and that doesn't count the mixed seeds that I started first...

So speak up please if you could use a 6-pack of mixed heirloom seedlings, otherwise I probably will just let them go to the big garden in the sky.

Peas have been in the ground for almost 2 weeks, no visible shoots, but they were half sprouted when we planted them. I think the weather has made them go into hiding!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Jill, I'd love one of your six packs if it is not too much trouble. Thank you Judy

grass is green sky is blue and Jill has 3x as many tomato seedlings as she needs. Just universal truths....
I think the peas will be along soon. Hoping we keep up this sun at least.
Found sprouts of some sort of golden beets or yellow chard, in the garden; I had saved seeds from the garden . yippee!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Coleup, thanks for letting me know some will have homes!

LOL, Sally. This year, it was because I was starting older seeds of many varieties, often sowing several 2004 seeds and also several newer ones... Guess what?? They all came up! Seriously, I think there were only one or two that didn't. So if you have tomato (or other) seeds that are 10 years old, and you're wondering if you should bother... go for it! the only thing I know for sure is that they won't grow if you don't plant them.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill I can help too! He he he love tomatoes.

I was given some Red Pearl Sweet Pea VINE seeds that are perennials. I think I'll put them out to winter sow. Maybe I'll get some to bring to the swap. I do like vines and I don't always have them climbing. There are areas where they look good just rambling along the bed.

http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/flower-seed/sweet-peas/sweet-peas-pearl-red.html

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Hm, speaking of giving away seedlings... Could we get the spring swap threads started?

So far, I've winter sown: (pardon the caps. I did a copy and paste cause I didn't want to re type)

MONARDA - DWARF---PETITE WONDER , WHHITE SWAN ECHIE, TURTLEHEAD CHELONE , MIXED LUNA HIBISCUS, LAVENDER MUNSTEAD, CAMPANULA GLOMERATA , AGASTACHE APACHE SUN, CENTAUREA DEALBATA, DELPHINIUM MAGIC FOUNTAIN CHERRY BLOSSOM, JOHNNY JUMP UPS, LAVENDER, ELLAGANCE SKY, ECHINACEA TOMATO SOUP, HOLLYHOCK , ORIENTAL POPPY VICTORIA LOUISE, ORIENTAL POPPY BEAUTY OF LIVERMORE , AGASTACHE CANA , FRAGRANT SWEET PEAS ZINFANDEL , FRAGRANT SWEET PEA PERFUME DELIGHT , SWEET PEA HIGH SCENT , THUMBERGIA AFRICAN SUNSET, ASTER LILIPUT BLUE MOON. LOBELIA ERINUS ROSAMOND, CHAENORRHINUM, BLUE DREAMS, ORANGE POPPY, SALVIA FOREST FIRE, CLEOME CHERRY QUEEN, POPPY PIZZACATA, WHITE CYPRESS VINE, GAURA THE BRIDE, FLOWERING TOBACCO, LISIANTHUS BLUE, NICOTIANA MAUVE, SWEET PEA PEARL RED, ZINNIA POLAR BEAR, GIANT ZINNIA CREAMY YELLOW, LISIANTHUS IVORY, WHITE HYBRID PETUNIAS, LOBELIA LUNA ROSE, BABY'S BREATH WHITE CREEPING, LAVATERA TRIMESTRIS ROSE MALLOW, MARINE HELIOTROPE, VINE PEARL RED SWEET PEA ,, CATANACHE WHITE CUPIDS DART, POPPY PRINCESS VICTORIA LOUISE

I'm hope to be successful with a few.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2013 1:36 PM

This message was edited Apr 3, 2013 1:37 PM

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Roses, I'm still not seeing any germination with in my wintersown jugs (except for alyssum)! Are yours coming up at all?

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Quote from sallyg :
grass is green sky is blue and Jill has 3x as many tomato seedlings as she needs. Just universal truths....

I have been on Facebook and away from Dave's Garden for too long. I was looking for the "like" button.

If you are going to the spring plant swap the xtra seedlings will find a home. Once I made sure to put my (many, many) extra tomato seedlings on one of the tables the HOST provided...and then left without them. On purpose.

Only thing showing is my Beauty of Livermore Poppy, Sally.

That was my table Nisi, and my relatives and neighbors scooped them all up so that none were wasted!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL Yes, I too have "forgotten" a few plants on purpose... and been "gifted" with extras at the end of swaps I've hosted!

If I'm lucky, somebody will have extra pepper plants to share, although I'm starting more seeds today also. Gotta have those 'Gypsy' and 'Carmen' plants! I think the tray where a few seedlings did OK while I was gone were the habanero types. I'd hoped to have lots of extra 'Fish Pepper' plants to share... crispy. :-(

As my dad says... You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out.

Nisi - ((LIKED) LOL!

Roses, / ssgardener- I only have Scabiosa out of my dozen plus WS kinds; trying to be patient for the soil to warm up as I do have mine in mostly shade...

Jill'
8 ^(
so sorry for you, I know how much you enjoy being the Fish Pepper Fairy

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

My WS contaners aren't showing any signs of germination either. You guys were talking about how tedious but relaxing it is to move seedlings into individual pots. I agree. On Easter Sunday, I moved 80 hollyhock seedlings. I had the iPod music playlist going and really enjoyed myself. Earlier this winter, I started with an old seed pack of hollyhocks and had some luck with germination. I wanted more, especially after seeing them in the displays at the Philadelphia Flower Show, so I bought two more packs. The newer seed had almost 100% germination. If they make it, I've got hollyhocks galore LOL.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Teri--
I have grown Holyhocks only once or twice. Never had healthy plants.
They always got, whatever, where the leaves just dried up, yellowed and looked awful.

I think they may be very susceptible to White Fly (fuzzy leaves) or Spider Mites (same reason).
I love their blooms--but have not tried since. Also--full-sun spots in my garden are just in one bed--
and there are a lot of other "priorities" planted in there....Lilies, Roses, Iris, etc...

I WS 3 different plants--Alyssun (it's up), Columbines and Gaillardias. Not up.
I was just experimenting--I do not, usually do any WS'ing...

Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a question-------

On Strawberries---could the little seeds, that are on the outside, be planted
and grow a new Strawberry plant?

I was eating some the other day and when done--the container had all these seeds on the bottom.
I put them on a paper plate and dried them. Might be a good experiment...
These are from store-bought Strawberries....
G.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Strawberries are mostly propagated from runners. There are a couple of seed-grown "regular" strawberries, though, and alpine strawberries are usually from seed (although also by division). Nothing ventured, nothing gained, though!

I agree with Terri, the displays at the Philly show this year have me wanting hollyhocks... and tall blue ageratum!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Evidently there are alot more Hollyhocks than when I was a kid! Loved making the flowers into dancing princesses with my cousin Noonie who lived across the alley from our Grandma. Seems also, now that there are many that will bloom the first year from seed. And there are even ones that will grow in containers! Cool beans.
http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/perennials/hollyhocks.html

What kind did you plant Aspenhill?

Jill, what kinds of alpine strawberries do you grow? Do you have a source to recommend? What is the 'Goldfinch store' you mentioned?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Holly, you mentioned somewhere that your Bonfire Begonias were sprouting? Sure hope they do well and maybe you will have one or two to share at Swap at Jan's. Pic is from several years ago of Begonia 'Firecracker.

Thumbnail by coleup
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I hope so,too. They are very tiny so it is way too early to even guess, just one missed watering and they will be toast.
Funny how you change your mind about some flowers. I didn't like Hollyhocks, in my neighborhood growing up pretty much everybody had Hollyhocks growing in the back yard to hide the trash cans. So I never liked them. Then a few years ago I started looking at picture of these blooms and thinking "Oh how pretty" and guess what they were always Hollyhocks so I guess I have changed my mind about them. LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The Semp Patch just opened here: http://cubits.org/TheSempervivumPatch/store/ In addition to plants, Chris has some great little pots and remarkably detailed "fairy garden accessories" here. You've got to check out her other webstores, also... she is one talented lady... great polymer clay creations as well as gorgeous intarsia woodwork pieces that she sells for way less than she should, not that I'm complaining. LOL

I bought seeds from The Strawberry Store this year. http://thestrawberrystore.com/ This guy knows more about alpine strawberries than anybody else I know! He sells plants, too, but most are probably sold out by now. (Still have to sow those seeds... way behind again this year... so can't comment on germination, but I'd be startled if it was a problem since I think he tests all seed batches.)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think the toughest alpine strawberry plants in my garden (those that are still there, LOL) are probably 'Mignonette', although I have several white berry plants still doing well... I grew some white ones a few years back figuring the birds wouldn't get them... and they don't, but I tend not to notice the ripe berries either! LOL They're one of the best ever garden snacks, really sweet & intensely flavored, like strawberry candy.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Critter, some heirloom tomatoes sound great, please

Hollyhocks are pretty, but the bottoms look a mess don't they? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.