Florida Chit Chat #8 Spring is Coming

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I do know I have seen them at Tallahassee Nursery and at Just Fruits and Exotics

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Speaking of Azaleas,....I just snapped these pics this morning of the ones on my East side. It is really shady over there compared to my super Sunny full Southern front. These were just pretty and thought I'd share them as they will be gone in a couple of weeks as we all know.......Snap those pictures now of early Spring! It would be fun to see some other 'Florida Gardeners' early Spring Azaleas and flower pic's too!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

Lovely Azaleas. I do not grow any of them. My yard is in the growing stage, flowers will be later. I am planting for the 3 B's-Bees, Butterflies and Birds

Sandy

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Got my small tomato plants moved into bigger pots this afternoon. They are now happily tucked in the GH, with the door open, for protection from the squirrels.

Purchased a mix of lawn grass seed & hope to get the front raked & grass seed down tomorrow. The front is the only grass I have. Front is too large to have all garden out front so the grass fills in large areas nicely. Hopefully if I can get the grass going, it will hold back the weeds I ended up with last year.

This weather is just wonderful. Hard to believe, next month I'll have been down here 1 year.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sandy, the hummers and the bumble bees are loving the azaleas right now. I try and have something in bloom 12 months of the year for them.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you Sandy. I believe in the 3 B's gardens too.!

Glad to hear you are moving along into Spring Qwilter...I well remember the "first year garden" from here almost 5 years ago now. It only takes a couple of years to start turning a garden around. I would love to see pictures of yours to see the developments after a season or two or,..... 20. (I have been here now 5 years or 20 seasons!)...and it is wonderful weather.

Beach Sunflower is a no fuss native that needs no care at all in Summer once easily established. It can be hedged and 1 plant can create a flower garden by itself if planted in a dead patch of grass. (radiating out in a circle 6-8 feet round. They will forever take the heat and drought of Summer, and in August bloom more then ever, with Daisy like flowers on a ground growing true Sunflower! (While all else is fading.....)....... Whew! 'Helianthus dibilis'.

I hedge them like any other groundcover or actual hedge with hedgers where neccessary.

These are how we used them in May 2011. Once you have them they are yours to move or shape any way you like forever and are more faithful then Gaillardia year after year!

This message was edited Mar 10, 2013 7:14 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

My azaleas are done flowering now, just a few flowers left, they were at peak when we had the first freeze in mid. Feb. and many of the flowers got zapped. They started blooming in mid January this year, much earlier than normal. Mine were against the house when we bought it over twenty years ago and I moved them to the far back fence when we expanded our porch. The bees do love the flowers.

David your beach sunflowers are nice as an easement. I see a house not too far from here that has a very established easement of beach sunflower and always admire it as I'm driving by. Lots of it at the beach we frequent (Flagler Beach). You sure have a nice garden.

I need to look for those sunflowers.

I just get 2. I bought them from Maggie's Herb Farm 11400 County Road 13 St Augustine. Along with a lot of other plants.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you Sunkissed,...and Flagler Beach was one of my favorite beaches to haunt back in my younger days most of the Summer!
You won't be let down Qwilter and Wren...

nope I know a lot of great nurseries. I just wish I would not spend so much money every time I go. I have spend almost a hundred dollars each of the last 2 time I went to Maggie's It does not help that I pass there every time I go to my Uncles place.

I am slowly getting rid of the grass. We should start putting in the raised beds on the north side yard next month. there is a Water Oak right on the other side of the fence and there is no way we are going to be able to dig in that root mass-so raised beds it it. It is a work in progress. The bed for the Black Swallowtails is growing great all ready for the caterpillars.

I have to look for long flowering plants for all the bees and butterflies. I had over 8 pollinators last summer. I have a native bee house, only a few used the straws last you but am hoping for a better score this year
I have already get my yard registered as a Wildlife habitat and a S.H.A.R.E Habitat http://www.pollinator.org/

Sandy thanks for the website. I'd love to see pictures of your work in progress, and your bee house. I hope you're coming to the round up, would love to hear more.

I found some Gaillardia pulchella growing wild not to far from here a few years back and dug a small bit up and planted it by my mail box, and now have it popping up all over my front easement, my plan is to let it and other native flowers take over the easement. The husband is always too happy to oblige when I tell him not to mow. I don't want to irrigate it anymore.

The only grass I have left is in my front yard and it is my challenge this year to rid of it. All I have out there is a huge clump of azaleas under a live oak. Previous owners planted them there under a line of turkey oaks that were wiped out by hurricane Andrew, and the only thing that survived is one live oak in the middle. So I know the ground is full of roots and it is a hill to boot. Grass doesn't grow well anyway with our water restrictions and code enforcement with nothing to do all day but write tickets.

My plant is more Xeriscaping in the front yard, but still three B's friendly, yet another challenge.

-Sherri

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have no grass out back anymore either. Mainly because of the dogs. Im trying to make some paths thru different areas I want to plant, but Im on my last nerve with the sand. This time of the year, I pick up peoples bagged leaves from the side of the road to try to cover it up, but that only last so long. The dogs roll in it, it gets all in my shoes when out and we all bring it inside. Its and endless mess. I hope to have saved enough $$$ to get some sidewalks put in where I walk the most. My pavers that were once flat, are now an obstacle course. I love love a nice bit of grass, its just to expensive, and too much work to make it fesible to put out back again.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Sounds like you have a good handle on your gardens Wren. I agree with Sherri. Send us some pic's so we can share in your progress;... That really does make it more fun to share!
It always amazes me how the Gaillardia does its comeback thing in Spring Sherri. Beautiful in early Spring till about July 4th in my yard. It finally gets so downright shabby by then for me that it has done its thing and is tired. Out it comes;.....yet it has shared itself again with me every new Spring!

The Beach Sunflower is the one that is my favorite though. It will keep coloring up an area from Spring into the 'Dog Days' and be at its very greenest and best in August, September, and October. It does an incredible December, January, and February job to unless a hard freeze. Believe. They prefer plain Florida sand and no amendments or extra fertilizer...
GG,
I use leaves all the time and have found they really lock in and stay in place more,... if I blow them on the driveway and run the lawnmower over them a few times. I then use them as mulch that stays in place well. It looks great too. That is what you see as mulch on the pictures I have sent on 'Spring 2013 garden start" thread,...and across from the straw mulched bed. Acid loving plants Love it especially. Most of my beds are mulched with these. A little lime around somes things like the Figs is good for plants that like a more neutral or alkaline soil,.....and even so,...it has worked for me and is cost effective! (Attractive too.)

This message was edited Mar 11, 2013 7:57 PM

Was a bit brisk out this AM but we got 2 gardens tilled & raked, roots pulled up. Was nice to do all that work & not break a sweat. Gardening gloves kept the fingers warm. Now to get a load of top soil & start gathering plants.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

It was brisk and beautiful today Qwilter,

Who can believe this cold warning again for tonight in mid-March?....still moving a few things back in just in case too... Winter move over!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was out again today as well. My back is really unhappy. Im still just on daylilies, I think I have two more days of it, and then the rest of the yard needs lots of attention. The pool is a mess with all this pollen, but it might be a few weekends till we get to that. I so wanted to have everything done by Easter, but that isnt going to happen. Im really trying to beat those giant mosquitos, or even the regular ones, that we are suppose to have this year. I want to only have to round-up, spray, and water, come summer.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

The no-seums are here!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

If I lost a couple of pounds or ten my back would be better too GG........ Ha! (or 20!)
Kay,
You are too funny!.... Send us some pic's of what you're up to up there in Panama city!

Here ya go, David - read all about them:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg102

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Pictures of your gardens Kay!....

.......not Mosquito info.!!! HaHaHa! Are you telling me Panama City is all about lots of Mosquito's?

You made me smile!...{:-)---Ha!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Mosquitoes are a mere annoyance compared to the no see ums. The little cannibals are here too Kay. The article mentions they are just a hot weather pest. We find they prefer the spring and fall, whenever the weather is perfect for us humans. When it gets too hot during the summer they disappear.

DeLand may be too far inland for no see ums to be much of a problem.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2013 7:44 AM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I actually had to go reread that article because I had never heard of them before called that, even thought born and raised here! I wonder if we always called them 'gnats' wrongly. Glad to say we don't have them here (knock on wood) Thanks for sharing Kay,.....and now I know!

Good morning everyone----who left the freezer door open???

Thankfully the no-see-ums are rare around here now.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Yeah your right Sandy...We were on the edge of frost here but looks like we got through by the skin of our teeth...

I'm going on an "Air potato" hunt this AM. The one who collects the most wins a home baked cake!!!
Tomorrow AM A group of us are doing yard work for a disabled woman from Church. I love pulling weeds when you can yank them up by the hand full - little effort & BIG results. It is the 1 every here & there that I don't like doing!!!!
Then going to the dirt place to see about getting some delivered next Mon. It is next to Lowes so I know I'll be pulled in to look at the plants they have on Sale!!!! The new Lowes magazine has some neat gardening ideas that I'm going to build.

Haven't seen Johnny posting recently. Wonder if he got any Angel Trumpets started................... You out there Johnny????? I'm happy to see mine has new leaves coming out after the frosting it took a few weeks ago.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was going out to plant some bananas I dug up up yesterday, very chilly. Instead, Im watching the funniest thing on HSN. Its an electric tiller...right. To demo it, they are standing on grass with a little box of mix. Clearly, they are not going at the grass, something we would need it for, they are making a big deal out of it tilling the mix. Silly. I have a decent size troy built tiller, and its still work.

I think Im going to dig some greenbriars, Jean and I can compare.

David, I hear the lbs's and the back. My husband is so bothered by the gnats. Better than the no see ums tho. One bites..one just annoys.
The mosquitos tear me up. Dont bother my husband.

Temps climbing fast

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Did you win the cake Q? Ha!,...and hope you found some fun finds at Lowes.
Electric can be O.K. sometimes GG! My little electric Troybilt was and is the same one I have been using for the almost 5 years I have been here and has been invaluable for tearing out grass and beds!
I know about what your saying with adds too though.... "Like the guy that sells 'Blue Chiffon' Rose of Sharons on QVC,.... It is so obvious to me that the blue bushes on the set are loaded with blue silk flowers. ( anyone who knows these knows about the blue thing. They turn blue when the flower is finished,..... Ha!"

They do that a lot I think...

Yeah,.... your right again Sandy,.......and lets hope it stays that way!

Fig tree leaves are coming out, need to go check the pecan tree!!! The bugs I saw yesterday where turning green.

Sandy

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This Fig was transplanted from the back in January because it was too shaded by a big old Oak. I had doubts it would make it,..... but it did!

Just took these pic's of it today....

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

No leaves on my Pecan tree yet.

Soon!!! Our remaining pecan tree is over 50+ years old but this one has never produced good nuts but we keep it for the shade.

Our Fig tree is over 55 years old. And we have never liked figs!! My father planted a cutting from his mothers fig tree and it was over 50 years old. The neighbors and the wild life get the figs.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was thinking more about the electric tiller in some sort of ground from hell where I lived in Va. for a couple years. CLAY. What the heck is with that 'stuff' YUK Certainly a blow from fl. gardening.

Phillip, he has sold for cottage farms on QVC so long. I laugh at the silk flowers myself. They used to not do that. Being a daylily person, Im particularly ammused when he sells them.

I just ordered some 3 in 1 butterfly bushes (starts), from a co-op. They were selling the same plant on QVC the other day, boy I hope mine will eventually look like that....silk or not. ;-)

Thats really neat about the old trees. Thats alot of figs in 55 years. Ive never been a fresh fig eater either, had some chicken the other night tho, and the sauce had fig preserves. YUUUUUUUUM.

We have a Southern Grape vine that is about the same age. I tell the neighbors they can pick what is outside the fence as long as they are careful not to damage either one.(the grape vine is on the fence and the fig tree is planted right next to the fence)

Good night

Sandy and Andre

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sorry been off thread for a while. All of sudden my bus. has picked back up. Some work for the RU won't get done I'm sure but it will still be fun.

BTW does anyone know where I can buy one of the Japanese wisteria. I have a purple on one side of a tall pergola that has finally started blooming well but one on other side has been planted for 4 years and its only about 2 feet tall. Would like something that would take off and grow to top of pergola. I was warned against the Japanese being invasive but that doesn't really matter where I want to put it. Love those long hanging blooms. Have never seen any like it around here and I like different. I think it was Sunkissed that mentioned wisteria don't grow well here in central Fl. I've seen plenty around where I am. Mine has just been slow growing but now its up top of pergola which is at least 10 feet high.
You will see it when you come over cause its over the front gates into my yard. Husb. built it high enough to get 20 yd. dump truck thru there cause he said he never knows what I might want delievered to gardens out front. He also has to be able to get his tractor under it.
We also get those no-se-ums here during the summer. I spray my gardening hat and it helps.
All for now. My first day around home this week and got tons to do or try to. Happy gardening all.
David, appreciate seeing your lovely garden pictures.
Bonnie

A crew of us just spent the AM cleaning up the yard of a woman who has been ill. What beautiful gardens she has and a large Koi pond. Not only did we have a good time, I came home with clumps of Iris, 2 huge sunflower vine roots, and some ivy and some old wicker furniture that will look nice out in the garden with plants climbing all over it.

Started off wearing t-shirt, long sleeve T, and a fleece jacket. Layers were shed as the day warmed up. Needed to stop at HD on the way home but I was too filthy even for that!!!!

So a shower, then off to Ace & HD then back home to work in my yard. Sure hope we get the rain they are predicting for a few days next week.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

That was really a nice thing to do Jean. Good for you all. I got darned hot out this morning too.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2013 1:17 PM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Been listening in and it all sounds good! So just plain old "Health, Happy Gardening and keep up the good works!"

David

Bonnie Lukas Nursery www.lukasnursery.com, had wisteria the other day when I was there, not sure if it was Japanese, but you can call them, they were floweing.

I went to the plant show at Leu Garden's yesterday with a friend. We actually found some nice little plants there. The garden's were lovely and didn't get damaged as much this year by the cold temps. I want to go back when not so crowded and walk around again.

Some plants I got while there:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55240/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62195/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51474/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.