Seed Swap Feb.16 PRO MIXES available from Ric

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Devon, in Salmonoids, trout and salmon the fat is concentrated in the dorsal stripe, in blues or drum, on the flanks under the skin as well as many salt or brackish fish. What to look for is any flesh that is darker and not fibered. In bi-valves as in any shellfish it is through out. Ric

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Anyone else remember ever seeing driveways paved with oyster shells?
It's horrible to think about how oysters have declined.

One of our local creeks/ rivers had an unusual growth of 'dark false mussels' a couple years ago. It was watched, sadly I think the next year they all died off. But it gives hope that the tide may turn if we can be more careful. Which we won't be.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Pa. has a large push for farms to grow buffers zones along streams to help collect nitrates rather than letting them flow to the bay. They offer certifications as well as possible $$$ incentives. I also know the DER is hot on raw sewage releases, even during extreme circumstance, like flooding,and clean water standards as well as enforcement on construction buffers to reduce silt. It will be a slow process, but it is attainable. Ric

I really don't want to start a debate, but we are ultimately responsible to keep our government administrations from degrading standards for clean air and water.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The information for restaurants on that site says that if an establishment generates at least 3 bushels (five 5 gallon pails) of shells a week, they will see that the shells are picked up. I really don't know how many oyster shells Chef Lin puts out... Their raw bar never seems to be their most popular station, and I don't think they serve cooked oysters. Still, somebody might be able to drop off shells at May's and utilize their pick-up.

I don't know if I have it in me to ferry oyster shells across Frederick on a weekly basis, though... good intentions, not enough time. It irks me to admit that, but I guess it's that sort of discomfort that pushes me to do things that I *can* manage to do... like put more stuff into a compost pile even when the convenient thing is to shove it down the dispose-all.

Speaking of things we can all do to help this oyster reclaimation effort... web site says 95% of their donations go directly to the work they do. A 5% overhead for any charity is almost unheard of... most are considered to be doing "well" if their number is better than 80%. So when I'm deciding where I can make a contribution to support an environmental effort, I'll remember them. Maybe there should be a special tax on oysters and other seafood... OK, now I'm really getting far afield.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric---I am impressed with your knowledge! Such great, interesting information!

Do you have a degree in marine biology-- or something similar???

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Nah, Gita nothing that impressive. I did attend Trenton Jr. College a couple of years. My majors were Biology and Horticulture. All that did was whet my appetite for all living things, and our environment. As a responsible fisherman I want to preserve aquatic environments for the next generation to enjoy, in the respect I would consider myself a preservationist. I read extensively and enjoy documentaries. Ric

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Lobster compost at my ACE is 7.99 for a 1 cubic foot bag. No weight stated anywhere.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric: Thanks for all the information. So is the idea that in trout, salmon and blues you should be careful to not eat the fat? I always thought the fat from fish was actually good for you -- I can't say that we ever sat down to a heaping plate of fish fat, but we don't carefully excise it -- but if that is where the toxins linger, I need to rethink that.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Devon, Since most toxins, and biotransformed heavy metals are lipid (read fat) soluble, cutting away any fat will make it safer. You will still get your Omega 3 but with fewer bad things attached. Ric

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Ric - that is hugely helpful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.