Think Spring! Seed Swapping DISCUSSION for Feb. 16 swap

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you aspenhill! I heard butterflies liked parsley so I planted quite a few extra, but they were completely left alone.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

ss--

SallyG has more Milkweed in her garden then us all combined.
Have her pull some up for you and bring it to the swap. Tese plants DO run rampant....
G.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

ss- I can give you 'Swamp Milkweed' which should love those conditions and NOT run rampant, like the common one does.
Monarchs like milkweed. A swallowtail likes parsely and fennel.
THese and many other caterpillars are specific in their likes, but these two plants should get you some caterpillars.
Monarch cats seem to come pretty late in summer to me.

Sally, thank you for the offer! Good to know about the different types of butterflies and host plants.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I checked my milkweed seed packets. I have Pink Milkweed (Asclepias Syriaca), Showy Milkweed (Asclepias Speciosa), and Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias Incarnata). Saly, you said Swamp Milkweed doesn't run rampant, what about the other two kinds I have?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, Sally, do you have any extra Asclepias Incarnata? I had never thought of growing it, but if you say it doesn't need full sun I'd love to try it!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita I would love some of your Datura--"Black Currant Swirl" and Datura--"triple yellow"

I'd be glad to take anything that goes to Roses we will see her at the swap. Also any thing else for anyone else that will be at Jan's May Swap.

aspenhill- incarnate def does not run, the other I would have to check, and syriaca runs like crazy.

happy, yes should be enough to share.I liked it but got a beetle infestation that seemed fatal after 3 years.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

If you got a fatal beetle infestation, how do you have enough to share? Oh, you mean seeds. I get it. Think we'll get the same infestation?

critter gave me the seeds originally, wonder how it did for her.
Yeah if you pick off the beetles you can probably outlive them. THey are big round and chubby-cute , so I let them multiply! I never had them on A syriaca, just the swamp milkweed.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd better pass, then; my goal is plants that I don't have to baby. (I'm not against babying plants -- I just forget and then they die.)

ok, I really don't know if it was those beetles, or some other condition that did them in.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't think the beetles did mine in; they just failed to resprout one year. I put some "babies" out last fall; we'll see if they made it. I'm going to sow some more... I definitely like the Asclepias incarnata (which despite its common name doesn't need a swamp; they're tolerant of a wide range of conditions including pretty dang dry). Maybe they are just "short lived" perennials and I need to make sure to let them self-sow or grow replacements every couple of years.

Asclepias syriaca not only runs, it's also said to have a mongo taproot. I've avoided that one! I'm pretty sure A. tuberosa is usually tropical/tender, but it makes a pretty splash of summer color, and some say that butterflies prefer it. I've noticed butterflies tend to favor whatever you have that's blooming, LOL.

"butterflies tend to favor whatever you have that's blooming, LOL."
True but their babies are darn picky!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yeah, but again, if you're serving up the only milkweed in town...

Anyway, I've definitely seen monarch cats on the A. incarnata (white blooms) when I had it. I'm trying to get both white and pink "going" out there again. Winter sowing last year was really disappointing... maybe not enough winter? If Punxy Phil is right, I might have to stratify some seeds in the -- gasp -- freezer. LOL

I simply wish to clarify to ssgardener that milkweed is not going to foster 'other' caterpillars.

I had a NOID plant in my yard one year, which hosted milkweed MOTH cats. That was my clue that the Noid was a Milkweed family or close relative- dogbane, it turned out to be, wild.

So maybe my Swamp milkweed just did the inevitable- Looked great for 2 summers then suffered and died the third. I hadn't prepared for it with new plants elsewhere.

sally, thanks for the clarification, but I think I may need a bit more clarifying! :)

So... Asclepias incarnata (swamp) is not a rampant runner and still a good host for the monarchs.

Asclepias syriaca (pink) is a runner with a long taproot and may run rampant if allowed to spread.

Milkweeds will not host other caterpillars.

They're short-lived perennials and will not come back repeatedly if you don't let them self-sow.

Jill, I'm planning on wintersowing them as soon as I get them. Hopefully I'll get good germination so I can them share some at the spring swap!

Yes, except for "...They're short-lived perennials..." should read "Incarnata is short lived, in the experience of Jill and Sallyg..."
; ^)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I figure if several of us are trying to grow them out, that increases our chance of being wildly successful!

Sally, you're right... most butterflies seem to be extremely specific about host plants (where eggs are laid and which are eaten by the little caterpillars. A good "butterfly garden" needs both host & nectar plants... if you look for a list of hosts for our area, you may be surprised at how many you're already growing, and you may also find some that would be easy to add. (Thought I had a bookmark somewhere, but I'm sure not seeing it.)

SSG, I don't know for sure about A. incarnata being short lived, but that seems to be the experience Sally & I had with it. Toes-up for no good reason.

And yes, I think monarchs (and Sally's milkweed moth) are about the only cats (butterfly-enthusiast-speak for "caterpillar" LOL) that you'll find on the milkweed. Eating milkweed as caterpillars is what gives monarch butterflies a nasty flavor that birds avoid. Viceroy butterflies famously imitate the color patterns on monarchs, and birds avoid them also.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I wasn't sure where to post this - but, since I'll do everything I can to be at the swap & don't want to make my announcement then - here goes...Greg & I are relocating to Huntsville AL in the next few months...hubby before me & I'll follow once house is sold/selling - you won't get rid of me, I'll still be hanging out on MAF & I'll be coming up for follow-ups at Reed :-) so, this seed swap will be extra special - I'll get to see & hang out with a bunch of wonderful people who's become very dear to my heart! This will be an exiting journey for Greg & I, and just the fresh start we need :-) AND, I'll have a BIG garden! Hugs all, I'll cherish all the wonderful memories & friendships, y'all ROCK! Bec!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Becky, I'm delighted for you & Greg but sad for us... we are going to hold you to your promise of visiting! We are going to squeeze the stuffing out of you at the swap.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I'd like that :-)

Wow Becky, that's the second huge new from you this last few months. Can life get any crazier? (wait, God, do not answer that!)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Becky, how exciting for you, but same as what critter said - so sad for us...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow -- what a change! I'd love to hear what brought you to that decision, if you are comfortable sharing.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

:-) It's somewhat long - but, I'll it short....new & improved job for hubby, 25-35% lower cost of living, slower pace of life, no commuting, fantastic housing, medical, the base, closer to his family in FL - H'vile area area is very much changing to the area for defense jobs, expanding, it's becoming the silicone valley of the south - then we'll have nature, mountains, the TN valley, friends already there, bigger yard for gardening :-) (I'll check on growing them Glads there, Jill) We'll be 1.5 hrs from Nashville, 3 from Atlanta, 6 from the FL coast...there are so many more positives, but there you have it :-)

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Wow Becky, that sounds wonderful for you and Greg but we will miss you.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That's great to hear. My husband and I (I keep saying that -- sorry to be so repetitive) keep mulling about moving someplace to retire (but where?). So I am always all-ears when I hear that anyone is moving. I don't know that we'll ever take the plunge because we hate to be inaccessible to family members and the DC area is so convenient, but we long to be so tempted that we do move. I think it is terrific to move -- and everyone I know who moves is really happy for the change.

This morning we were talking about moving to northern Michigan; a week ago it was the Delaware beaches. We are far from a consensus.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Woot, woot!! How exciting for you and Greg!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Happy - H'ville is highly recommended for retirees :-) due to taxes

You'll love Alabama Becky. We went through there on the way to Pensacola and stopped one year in a park, stayed in a lodge, amazing scenery in Little River Canyon. Yeah live near a techies city like Huntsville though- the sticks aren't going to provide a lot of gourmet dining.
This end of TN, , countryside is gorgeous. Smokies, wonderful.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

That's what I'm understanding, we'll be surrounded by the largest group of PhD's in the US - the Wheeler Preserve will be awesome to explore! So far the pros by far outweighs the cons - it's a FRESH & exiting new do-over for us & I'm looking forward to this journey! The cost of living, time & slower pace of life will be incredible!

and lack of traffic!!!!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

How great Bec a new adventure.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Bec--
Sounds like a dream come true--from your description.
Your own house....a larger garden....a quiet nice place to live......good stimulating area...
Who will miss a row house? Your move will be filled with all things positive.

We will miss you both---always will remember the first plant Swap at your house....under the canopies.

Good luck to you both. Gita

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

It sounds like a great move! Good luck to you, Bec. I will miss seeing you here.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow Bec! Now you can have a bigger compost. LOL Ric

You may have to explain that one Bec.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2013 4:47 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

TIME CHANGE ! ! !

Time for this event is now one hour earlier, from 11 am to 3 pm.

See the main swap thread for details: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292205/#new

Also, let's continue to celebrate and support our Becky here, at the new thread Chantell started: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297336/

Becky, we're so glad the light at the end of the tunnel for you is not an oncoming train at all... but rather, a bright Alabama sunrise!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Bec, you are SOOOO lucky! I have been hounding Bobbin for years to sell this house & move down South somewhere where it is warmer and easier for us, but as long as his Dad is up here & his daughter, it's here, we stay & suffer in the cold winters. I can only hope we live long enough to make the move. I wish you the best of everything in your move, and especially a long, healthy & gardening life in a place where you can have several growing seasons. What zone will you be moving to? Will miss you but I can always find you here & at seed swaps from time-to-time. Looking forward to seeing you next week. Hugs, Judy.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Along with your "wish" lists, it's really helpful if you give a general description of your garden, what kind of plants you're interested in growing (flowers, veggies, fragrant, butterfly garden, etc.), whether you have sun or shade... we'll do lot of this chat in person, too, of course, but some people like to find a few things to drop into those "goodie" bags before trading begins. :-)

I've got family visiting through this weekend, so I'm going to be posting my "haves" list at the 11th hour! I did get some fun extras from another swap I participated in over the holidays.

My night-blooming jasmine is struggling, so no cuttings for now, hopefully in spring. I can offer seeds from it, though!

I also have a some oxalis "tubers." I think there are several different kinds, but I don't know which is which any longer, just that I have several little piles of them that I think are all "different." It may be simplest to just offer them as an assortment. I'll keep a few to fill in hanging baskets but will give away most of them this year, because Eliot can't resist eating them if he can reach them, and they irritate his mouth.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.