Heidi Chronicles: Question to All Readers

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Sheri,

Waddling? Not really, but she did seem thick around the middle. Not a beach ball like Heidi in the month before delivering a litter of quads but clearly too thick for a normal raccoon. As to her being 'the side kick', I should have expounded more on the dynamics between them. The 2nd raccoon appears to be the new leader. I say this because of the totality of her behavior, including the fact that from the moment I 1st laid eyes on her this new raccoon was snorting and grumbling and vocalizing orders just like Heidi used to do.

I did manage to get a quick pic of the new one (below). I didn't bother to download it last night, because I was disappointing at not getting the pic I really wanted, the one of Desi. I got over confident. I took my folding stool out and tried to set it up on the patio with them. The spot where I put it was closest to Desi. She stayed until I started unfolding the stool at which point she fled and did not return. I grabbed the quick pic of the other raccoon after which she also left. Like I said, I overplayed my hand on this. Moved too far too soon. Bummer. But they will be back.

(Note: the new raccoon's stance looks odd in the pic. She was leaning back on her haunches while reaching forward with her hands to rake in kibble from the pile in front of her (out of range of the photo). It doesn't play that way in the photo where she looks oddly stilted, but that is what was actually going on.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

It was a great Birthday gift to read about Desi's return. That face had to be so cute peeking in the door. Glad she did not come in to sail out on you pant leg. Even if that would be cute. Hope she comes back tonight!
I think my skunk is sick or something. She has been going in circles, does not seem to use her back legs. I have been worried about yer since yesterday when she started this weird actions. Does anyone have a thought about her problem? She does stink, but she hurts nobody(well maybe their nose). Any ideas might help. Thanks for being good people with good hearts for animals.

Love the picture of cute Desi. Have Blessed Day!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Taylor,

I hate to say this, but I think you should keep your distance from the skunk for a while. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the symptoms you describe sound like possible rabies. I don't know for sure if skunks get rabies, but I think they do. As you probably know, rabies is deadly. If you are bitten or scratched, you will need to get shots just in case. Once one (animal or human) develops symptoms, there is no cure; rabies is a death sentence.

Rabies can be contracted from a bite, a scratch, or even if saliva or blood of an infected animal comes in contact with a sore or other break in the skin. Scientists suspect but aren't sure if it may also be contracted by breathing the air very close to the nose/mouth of an infected animal (i.e., having your face very close to theirs).

I think you know by now that I love all animals and always do what I can to help them, but there are times when you need to take care of yourself and times when you cannot help the animal. Even if she doesn't have rabies, there is likely nothing you can do to help her other than provide food and water and hope she will be strong enough to overcome whatever ails her. You have no way of determining what is wrong with her, and giving the wrong medicine could very well do more harm than good. But, again, her symptoms sound very much in line with those of rabies, and if she has rabies not only can you not help her, but you should avoid even offering food and water as her presence puts you and your other animals at serious risk.

A few questions though to help determine if it rabies vs something else. When you say that she is going in circles but not using her back legs, do you mean that she is dragging her back end on the ground as she tries to walk? She would not otherwise be able to walk w/o using either of her back legs. Does it appear that she is walking in circles out of confusion, like she's drunk? Or is she walking in circles because her back legs don't work? If she appears confused or is staggering like a drunken person, that could very well be indicative of rabies.

If she has visible injuries, like from a car accident or fight with another animal, that could explain not being able to use her back legs. She could have a spinal injury or broken legs. One of my raccoon visitors was badly injured in an apparent fight with a dog or other animal, and as a result was unable to use her hind legs for a while; she dragged her hind end on the ground for a couple weeks, then walked with her hind legs over her head for another week or so before finally getting the use of her legs once more. I believe her legs may have been broken in the fight. But then she had several, very visible, open wounds. However, if the skunk has no sign of injuries but is unable to use her back legs, that may indicate paralysis which is also a symptom of rabies.

Will she eat anything? Does she drink water? If she has a good appetite, if she eats and drinks water in a normal manner, these would be good signs. How does she look? If she appears horribly ill, sicker than any animal you have seen before, that is yet another bad sign, possible rabies alert. You should proceed with extreme caution when dealing with a wild animal that is sick, especially one that staggers about and/or appears confused.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I just checked. Unfortunately, skunks not only get rabies but are listed 2nd only to raccoons in the number of cases in the US. Please be very careful in dealing with a sick skunk. I know you want to help her, but you must also think of your own health as well as that of your other animals. Rabies is a terrible disease for which there is no cure.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you caring enough to try to help me out! I'm sorry to have to tell everybody my skunk passed on. I found her in my front yard this morning. I still do not know what killed her, may never know. I used many strong garbage bags to collect her and buried her at the far back end of my yard. Then I put big rocks over her so that nothing digs her up. That had to be the stinkiest and heartbreaking thing I have done in a long time. She had no wounds that I could see, however I did not touch her except with the bags. May she rest in Peace.

Thanks again for all your helpful info. The world needs more people like you! You have a Blessed Day!
I hope Desi comes back soon!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Taylor,

I am very, very sorry for your loss. I know how much you enjoyed the skunk's visits. Just know that by offering her a place to come where she would be welcome and fed, you helped to make her life much better. That she chose to come to your yard when she was so seriously ill, speaks volumes.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Cheryl, Thanks for your kind words. I did enjoy her she was very pretty. I was not so fond of her odor. If my two Peeks scared her, my deck and dogs had to be cleaned with homemade mix to get rid of smell. My dogs are current on all vaccines. I'm still going to take them to vet just to be safe.
Thank you again for your kindness!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Awww, I think it's special that she stayed close to home and let you find her there. Thank you for all you do.

Hugs,
A.

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

taylordaylily, so sorry to hear that you lost your little buddy! I guess the only consolation you don't have to wonder if she's out there suffering. Thank you for caring for & about her!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Amanda, I was happy I was able to help her rest in peace. I have named her Stinky, felt she needed a name for her grave stone.
Thank You for the kindness you give to animals! It shows the goodness in your heart.
I have lurked on your native, wildflower forum before. I would not call them weeds. To me a weed is something you do not want in your garden. If you planted it then they are not weeds. Enjoyed your white aster pics.

Lizzipa, Thank You for your kindness! I'm painting her a rock headstone. My DH thinks I am crazy.

Hope to hear some happy tales about cute critters in someones yard. You all have a Blessed Day!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Taylor,

I think Stinky is a cute name for her. As for burying her, painting the stone, etc, do what feels right to you and what helps you to feel better. I understand. I would have loved to have done the same for Heidi. Those who don't share our love of animals often fail to understand. More than a few people thought my interaction with the raccoons crazy, too. You are a good person. It shows.

Edited to add: By chance do you have any photos of her that you could post here?

This message was edited Apr 28, 2013 2:06 PM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Not changing the subject. Just wanted to post my pics. Feel free to continue to discuss Stinky or whatever feels right.

Last night I managed to get photos of both Desi and the new Leader.

The 1st is Desi (or the 1st raccoon, whoever she is). I took several pics but was never able to get her to look up from the food. Seems she is now over her fear of the camera and its flash. The 2nd one is the leader. I think she looks a bit like Heidi is some of these pics. Perhaps she is one of Heidi's older daughters.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Lyndonville, NY

Ohhhh, no pictures to lighten? Dang! (evil grin)

I do see Heidi in the second one a bit. Her shadowing is very similar! Desi looks delicate.

Taylor, I am sorry for your loss of Stinky. I would be doing the same thing. Actually have a little memorial
for a squirrel that got hit out front. She had a spinal injury, and after assessing her (and her grabbing my finger) and
waiting to see what "rehab" would say, she passed.

My "rose of Sharon" in the back the kids named "memory tree" as it has so many pets, and other kritters that have passed
over the last 20 years buried underneath. Everything from hermit crabs on up.

Debbie

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Cheryl, Sorry I do not have any photos of stinky. I never think to take my camera out with me.
I know what you mean about people thinking we are crazy. I don't think we are crazy at all. I think the people that want to hurt animals and people are the ones who are crazy. I also think a lot of people miss out on the beautiful creatures God gave us to enjoy. That is one reason I enjoy this forum, it is full of good people with good hearts!

I love that you posted new pics of Desi and the new leader. They sure are cute. Thank You!
I will work on getting pics of some of my critters. Then I will have to learn how to get them on here. I'll get my DH to help me out.
You have a Blessed Day!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Debbie, You sound like me. We have even buried dead goldfish. That is a good idea to plant a memory tree to honor the life that once was. Thank You! I think I will plant some kind of native berry bush. That way it will also help nature. Thank You so much for the great idea!

I have to get to my house cleaning! You have a Blessed Day!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh my gooness, Cheryl...how do you tell them all apart? Do you have any Idea who the older adult is? Does the fact that she came & is claiming Alpha mean that she is the "new Heidi"? Well, I guess you have yet to just wait and see too....duh.
I just know that nobody better pick on little Desi. There's a whole lot of us and we is bigger critters who will stick up for Desi.

BB
Sheri
just another crazy critter lady

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Sheri, I agree, I would hate to hear of sweet Desi being bullied. I'm going to pray they can share the yard in peace.

Be proud of being a critter lady. I don't think of critter people as crazy, I feel us critter people are special, the others are crazy. We notice the beauty in the world. Many do not , they are the crazy ones.

Have a Blessed Day! Karen

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hahaha. Burying fish just reminded me of my large fancy goldfish. Oh the stories, but when the first one went, my heart was crushed. A giant Oranda, I wanted to bury him in a special box. So the only one I had at the time he would fit in was a gorgeous jewelry box given to me as maid of honor in a friend's wedding. Oops!

One I buried in the tiny Lane cedar chest I received when I graduated high school. Another went in another jewelery box, an the last one went in a super cool wooden box made specially to house a Jose cuervo Gold special edition. I found that one when I moved into my condo. It was a piece of art, and my bf protested, but Morty needed that box!!!

Oh yeah, we're a bunch of freaks if you don't mind me saying so, but I love every one of you! :)

Taylordaylily -I am enjoying the natives thread too. Jump in any time. I feel like maybe I finally found another thread where I feel comfortable talking about another one of my eccentricities. Natives plants go together with wildlife, especially when you grow stuff hoping things will come to eat them for you!

Cheryl, I am so pleased to see your images today. You're making fast progress with these two. We can only assume they are Heidi 's kids since they are so comfortable with you. Has to be why Heidi brought them up in your lap when you noticed she was ill. So they would feel safe with you when she was gone.

xox
A.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

"no pictures to lighten?"

LOL, Not today, Debbie! But it is always good to know that you are there (just in case I post another dark pic to conceal my messy patio). ;-)

I like your Memory Tree idea.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Taylor,

We can also help you, if you have questions/problems when trying to post pics. Also, there is a Test Forum just for trying things, playing around with new things, etc. You may not need the Test Forum. I just thought I would mention it. You are always welcome to try posting pics directly here w/o 'testing'.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sheri,

I do think the other raccoon is acting like the leader. It remains to be seen if others also see her as the leader, but based on her behavior so far, my guess is that she is probably the new Heidi, as you put it. From the moment I 1st saw her standing some 10-15ft from the patio that 1st night, she was grunting and snorting and belting out orders. Reminded me very much of Heidi. Remember how Heidi used to 'talk', and how for the most part the others did not? Well, it's the same with this new 'leader'. She grumbles and snorts and gives orders just like Heidi used to do - and Desi does listen to her and show respect.

You know, I think I'll call her Captain.

That 1st night when they were here together, Desi came toward me on the patio when I called her. Captain did not seem to approve of that. I'm guessing she wanted to make sure we both knew that SHE was the boss, not Desi. I put some food down for Captain in the spot where Heidi used to eat and some for Desit a few feet away. Desi started to eat hers. At that point, Captain was still some distance away. This did not set well with Captain. She ran Desi down and took a pretend bite out of her backside.

After a minute or so Desi returned to eat beside Captain and all was peaceful again. Desi had no blood or scars, no sign of an actual bite. It was clear the apparent fight had been all show. The raccoons do that sort of thing a LOT, in fact almost constantly. Pretend fighting gets the point across w/o the bloodshed and healing time of the real thing. Captain was just making sure Desi understood her place. After that they got along great. I've not seen any sign of even a faux argument between them since.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Forgot to mention. As to telling the raccoons apart, an interesting thing happened way back around the 1st or 2nd year after I spent so much time sitting out there among them. One day I suddenly realized that they no longer looked identical to me anymore. It's not anything in particular that I have to do now to tell them apart. They actually look different (from each other) to me now. Now it's very much the same as telling other humans apart. It pretty much just happens naturally.

You know those hidden 3-D pictures that were so popular a decade or so ago, the ones where you stair at a bunch of gibberish for several minutes and suddenly a 3D image of some kind just jumps out at you? That's how it was with me and the raccoons. In the beginning the group of raccoons was like that gibberish, just so very many rings and stripes and lines, and then one evening after spending so many weeks and months out there looking at them, suddenly a bunch of unique individuals just popped out at me. Suddenly, I could see each one as a distinct individual that looked different from all of the others.

I'm guessing when you spend a lot of time around any group be it humans or raccoons you start to really see them, to see all the little nuances that you never saw before. That's how we tell each other apart and how I tell the raccoons apart.

I'm always aware that I am seeing things with respect to the raccoons that most of you cannot. When I say, "this one looks like Heidi or Bast or Reba, etc" the unique features of each of those raccoons is clear to me, as clear as is the face of a friend, but then I remind myself that to most of you that clear Heidi or Bast or Reba image is not something you can see. It hasn't "popped out" of the striped background for you yet, if you will. Try as I will, this is one thing I simply cannot share with you. It's something each person must acquire for herself or himself, like learning to see those hidden 3D images.

Not all of the raccoons are equally distinct, probably because I didn't spend as much time with them, but Heidi, Bast, & Reba, for instance, have incredibly distinct features. Now that I've gained the ability to really see them as individuals, those 3 looks so different that there is no way I could ever confuse them. In fact, now that I can see them as separate individuals, it's hard to understand how they ever looked alike to me. Reba had a very long, think, luxurious coat, almost like a woman wearing a mink coat, and the red in her coat was very distinct. There was no confusing her with the others. Bast had that long, tall, sleek, Greek cat-like silhouette, and her coloring was one of a kind. Bast didn't have the usual striped coat or the medium long, shaggy fur. Bast's coat was short and sleek like that of a short-haired cat. Her coat was a fairly solid taupe, that mid grey-beige color used a lot in women's shoes, and she had light beige trim on her face and other key areas. Heidi did not have such distinct key features that I can point out. Her face stood out to me because I had known her so well and for so long.

What made things a bit more complicated was the kits - in many ways. For starters, some of the kits resembled their mother, and every now and then one would look almost identical to her. As a result even the most unique among them soon had doppelgangers. Soon there were lots of raccoons bearing fiery red coats and an entire army of taupe and beige Bast look-a-likes and the Heidi face was everywhere. Just as with humans, I could still pick out the original, but sometimes it took a bit more scrutiny.

The biggest ID problem of all, and the one I was never able to fully overcome was that of telling who was who when the kits came back 1/2 a year later as fully grown adults in spring. It was analogous to spending time with a group of toddlers and then trying to ID them 20yrs later as adults. Remember raccoons go from infants to adults in less than a year! In summer I would see them as toddlers and the equivalent of elementary school kids. Then I wouldn't see them much if at all over the winter before they would emerge again the following spring as fully grown adults looking much different. Sometimes if I spent enough time with one as a kit, I would see some characteristic that would still be there in the adult, or maybe the adult would reveal herself to me through her behavior. Other times, I really could not say for sure which kit this or that adult had been - this was the case with most of them, especially the ones I didn't get to know well as kits.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Amanda,

Yes, but we are really nice freaks. ;-)

Like your Avatar. It's nice to have an image of the person to whom I've been speaking all this time.

I guess it really was quite helpful how Heidi brought her kits right up to the door that last spring, almost as though she knew her time was short and they would need to know who to trust in her absence. I have long believed that animals know and understand much more than we think, and now it seems that scientists are beginning to come around to see things my way. Now that scientists have begun to consider the possibilities, they have started to devise tests which clearly demonstrate that animals of all kinds know a lot more than most people ever dreamed possible - but we knew this all along, didn't we?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As previously mentioned, that 1st night when both raccoons were here and I went out there with my camera and my folding chair hoping to sit among them and take pics, I ended up scaring them away. At the time, I was especially concerned about Desi and wondered if she would return the next night.

I worried in vane, of course. That next evening even as I walked toward the patio door I could make out the faint image of Desi dancing before me in the darkness. Sure enough, I turned on the light to find her there standing on her hind legs, dancing around, her arms flailing about vigorously as though to flag me down. It was the most adorable image. Others have stood at the door and some have even done so while holding their arms up in the air as though to catch something (recall our quarterback). Heidi had walked backwards while upright in front of me pawing the air much like a small dog doing tricks, but Desi's arm waving dance was a 1st. My guess is many times she had seen me walking to the kitchen in the distance, and this time she wanted to be sure to get my attention. It was very cute.

Another night more recently, I went to the patio door and turned on the light to find her sitting upright (hind on floor, front legs vertical and straight) directly in front of the door and some 4ft away, just sitting there looking at me. I wish I had gotten that picture. She looked most adorable just sitting there, looking up at the door, and waiting for me to show up.

Desi has shown up every night, except tonight, that is. (She may have come early and left, but there was a storm and much rain.) After showing up 2 or 3 nights consecutively, the Captain hasn't been seen since. I've no idea what became of her. Captain would stand around a short distance from the patio, while Desi waited at the door to get my attention. Even if I didn't see the Captain, I would put down food for 2 just in case, and when I checked again some minutes later I would see the 2 of them on the patio eating. Then after a few nights, I stopped seeing Captain at all. I would go back later only to see Desi out there eating alone, and if I checked later still, I would find Desi eating the 2nd pile of food, still alone. As a result, lately I've still been putting out 2 separate piles of food, but now the total quantity I put out there is only that for a single raccoon, something I plan to do until I see another raccoon out there again. I must say that I'm quite surprised that others haven't shown up yet. Very odd.

I should add that I know there are no other raccoons showing up. I can tell this not only from my trips to the door to look out but also from the silence. If others raccoons were out there, I would expect to hear a lot of grumbling and arguing over who gets what, a sound very familiar to me. But so far Desi eats alone, peacefully, and in silence. Strange.

You may be seeing the few survivors of that virus that killed so many over on Folly Beach. Perhaps a few had super immunity or just were not exposed. Whatever the case, I am most delighted that little Desi is so 'bonded' with you.
I can just imagine her out there waving those arms to get your attention. I have this mental picture of a raccoon with flags waving as if directing an aircraft. ;-D

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Or a kid in school screaming, "pick me, pick meee!!!"

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Birdie Blue, How cute! Your image or the airplane controlling raccoon is very cute and funny.

I'm glad Desi is making nightly trips. I keep hoping more will come. They need to be nice to Desi if they want to come. I hope Captain is ok. Wonder what happened there. Is it to late for babies to be coming?

My backyard has been quiet. Just me and the birds and the chipmunk.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As cute as Desi is when she is out there dancing around to get my attention, I think she is even cuter when I turn on the patio light to find her sitting a few feet from the door and looking up at me with that adorable look on her face. Wish I could get a pic of that. Maybe in time.

I actually haven't seen her for about a week now - and Captain has never returned since those 1st couple nights so long ago now. Three nights ago I put out a bowl of leftovers: a thick, ham based, homemade, vegetable soup w/butter beans, tomatoes, corn, and okra and bits of ham; rind from several very sweet slices of cantaloupe; leftover biscuits, also homemade (cream biscuits, made with heavy cream). The next day it was completely untouched, indicating no one had been by, not Desi or Captain or even Puddle.

The next night, I put out some 5 or 6 slices of whole grain bread in addition to the bowl of leftovers from the prior night, still untouched. When I went to bed (very late), nothing had been touched. The next morning I saw signs that something had nibble the edges of the bread. It looked like this had been done by something small like a mouse or maybe a bird, definitely not the work of a raccoon or opossum. Otherwise, the food remained untouched STILL, so clearly Desi hadn't even been here.

Last night, I added 1/2 of a large, seedless watermelon to the mix (along with the items listed above). I had eaten the center portion of the watermelon leaving 3 inches or so around the outside. I scooped that with a spoon and left it in the rind for easier eating. When I checked this morning everything was gone: the bread, the vegetable soup/stew, the cantaloup rinds, the watermelon, EVERYTHING. The watermelon had been consumed rind and all, leaving only the thin green outer shell pushed up against the door as if in commentary.

That was most likely the work of Desi and possibly another raccoon. It's possible Desi may have been missing during this time to have a kit. I didn't think she looked 'with kit', but they often don't 'show' when carrying only one or two. Whoever showed up last night had a powerful appetite, the kind that could be explained by a nursing mom.

Lyndonville, NY

Cheryl, my daughter has been having "strange sounds" coming from the crawl space under her house. Went all around, could find no
signs of entry.

SO, she said "Mom, I have to go in and see, can you come over...just in case." We open up the entrance to the crawl space under the house,
she crawls in....and we listen. I said "Carrie, that is a baby raccoon I hear." No way Mom...how would it get in there?

SO, she gets her cell phone, googles "coon sounds" and starts playing it under the house to compare. Well, no need for that, upon hearing the coon noises...Mama raccoon dropped out of the insulation nest she built....and just looked at her.

Baited a trap and called the DEC. First attempt...mama and babies had a feast of sardines and never set the trap off at all.

Second attempt, caught Mama. Mr. DEC ...whom it turned out ran the greenhouse my daughter frequents....came right over.
Said he had a den all scooped out for them....and would move them safely. He gave Mama a going over, said she was about 2 years old....
and this was her first litter most likely.

Here are the babies....cute little things! Sure made a mess in the crawl space, pulling down the moisture barrier under the house and insultation.
Carrie is just glad they are OK and moved safely.

Debbie

Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear Desi may be back with kits. Hope she keeps coming back. Have been missing reading about them.

Debbie, Those little guys are so cute. The little one hanging on the side of the cage looks to be saying LET ME OUT OF HERE! Thanks for sharing them with us. I just got my camera fixed hope to have some pics to share after the storms pass.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Schweeeeet pic Debbie. How fortunate they were to have picked your dear daughter's house. :)

Just 2 ?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Debbie,

OMG! They are so adorable! I just love raccoon kits. It is all that I can do sometimes not to get one for a pet - but, luckily I've read the horror stories and seen videos of that one that ate the owner's kitchen cabinets. They don't make good pets, but I feel very lucky to have been given the opportunity to play with a new crop of them each year when Heidi was around (and hope to continue to do so for years to come).

Glad you guys were able to get them rounded up safely and that they will be going to a good place. That's cute about the Mom responding to the kit sounds on the smart phone. LOL.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sheri,

Actually, 1 or 2 is the expected number for a new mom, no more. Nature is smart enough it seems to only trust or burden 1st time raccoon moms with 1 or 2 kits. Litter size remains small for the 1st few years to give the young raccoon time to learn what it takes to keep her babies safe and to train them well. Raccoons don't begin having large litters (4 to 6 kits) until they reach their prime, at which time they have the experience to handle a large litter with relative ease. Litter size declines again in old age as we saw with Heidi who had only 3kits the last few years.

The only part of the story I would take exception with is the assessment of her as 2yrs old and a 1st time mom. From my experience those two things don't go together. At least, it's not what I observed with the raccoons here. The females I observed always had their 1st litter as yearlings, when they returned the following spring and were actually slightly less than 1yr old. If you think about it, this makes sense. Cats, dogs, most animals that size come have their 1st 'heat' around 6mo to 1yr. Raccoons are constrained by the seasons, needing to give birth at the right time to get their kits raised before harsh cold weather returns; hence, it makes sense that a raccoon female would be ready to start her 1st litter the spring of her 1st or yearling year.

2 is definitely a 'good' number for a young raccoon. Any more than that and I would seriously question her assessed age.

Any wildlife café or wind sailing activity lately?? I'm chewing off my fingernails wondering and waiting on kits first outing.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Sheri,

I know. I know. I have been SO lazy lately. Sorry about that, and thanks for prompting me to get typing. I haven't seen any kits yet. I have seen Desi and Captain a few times since I last posted, although they still don't seem to be showing up regularly, or at least not at the same time each night which is important for meeting up. I'm really quite surprised at how different things are w/o Heidi around. It seems her guidance had much, much more effect on the young adults that I ever imagined.

I did have one especially noteworthy interaction with Desi, one which I wanted very much to run in and share right away - but then my laziness got the better of me. I have things to do right now but will try to get back later today to tell you about it.

One other thing I noticed in the last few weeks is that Desi has suddenly and for no apparent reason become noticeably more cautious in her behavior. This leads me to believe she may have a kit or two stashed in the forest somewhere. I noticed this behavior with Heidi and some of the others over the years. Heidi in particular would become noticeably more careful to avoid danger when she had young kits depending on her, especially in those early weeks when the kits were 'blind' and helpless 'infants'. Once the kits were older, Heidi would relax considerably - until the next litter came along.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Decided to post now. I need to cut the top branches off of the crepe myrtle in the backyard, so that annoying squirrel out there won't be able to use them to climb onto the roof, but It's hot and stuffy outside right now, so I think I'll write instead. A few days ago that bad, bad squirrel discovered that she can run right up the tree and onto the roof. The past day or so she has been sitting on the roof scolding me when I step out onto the patio. Have to nip the roof thing in the bud asap but later in the afternoon when the temp drops a bit will be just as good - and better for my health. :-)

...so back to raccoons...

The very night that I posted recently saying I hadn't seen either raccoon in a week or so, Desi showed up. In addition to dog food and watermelon, I gave her 1/2 of one of those Little Debbie Fancy White Cake squares. She seemed to really like it. I saw her several time over the next few nights. Each time I gave her another 1/2 cake square for a treat. About the 2nd such night, I bent down and held the piece of cake out at arms length and was delighted when she walked up and gently took it from my hand. I was surprised at her willingness to come up and take the cake so soon and under such conditions.Things were going quite well it seemed.

Then one night I was inside when I heard the all too familiar sound of raccoons arguing outside. This was the 1st time I had heard the raccoons fussing that way so far this year, so I hurried out back to see what was going on. Desi was on the patio eating from a large section of watermelon I had left out there for her, while Captain, whom I had not seen for some time, was a short distance away. It appeared that Captain wanted some of the melon, and Desi was growling menacingly in an all out effort to keep it. Quite honestly, I was more than a little surprised to see Desi standing up to Captain this way. It seemed to be working though, as Captain kept her distance.

After seeing me in the kitchen, Captain came up to the patio door and sat on the facing, her body pressed up against the glass as she watched Desi eat the watermelon. This, too, surprised me, as Captain had not previously shown any such 'friendly' behavior (sitting on the door facing). (It seemed there was no end to the surprises.) Seeing Captain sitting at the door the way Heidi used to do touched me, so I grabbed the bag of dog food and headed out to give her some.

Previously there had been only the one watermelon rind outside with Desi 'owning' it and eating from it and Captain keeping her distance. For some reason, once I went out there and gave each of them a small pile of dog food about 3ft apart, the dynamics between them changed abruptly. Whereas previously Captain had kept her distance from Desi when she (Captain) had no food, as soon as I gave them both the dog food, Captain began to behave menacingly toward Desi, and Desi, who had previously stood her ground while guarding the watermelon, became passive once more. I haven't been able to make any sense of this. Just reporting what I observed. When Desi alone had food, she guarded it, and Captain respected her right of ownership. Then when they both had food, they immediately resumed their usual roles with Captain being bossy and Desi being passive. Odd.

Captain kept doing this posturing thing where she would pretend to make a run at Desi. Desi in turn would run from her. Each only ran a few strides, Captain the 3ft or so to reach Desi and Desi a few ft, just enough to get away. Sometimes Captain only ran 1ft in Desi's direction, implying the rest of the trip, and Desi ran maybe 1 stride from her food just the same. This was something I had seen them do before. Desi never bore any wounds indicative of a real battle, but the threat alone was sufficient to drive her away from her food. On this particular night I was in no mood for Captains antics and would have none of it.

From where I was standing, Desi had been eating directly in front of me a few feet away, while Captain was roughly the same distance away on my left. Imagine a triangle with each of us representing one of its angles. It's an equilateral triangle, each side being roughly 3ft long. Desi is directly in front of me. She and I stand facing each other some 3ft apart, such that the line between us forms one side of the triangle. Captain is to my left, also about 3ft away. The lines between Captain and each of us form the other two sides of the triangle.

Have you ever heard that sound The Dog Whisperer uses to get the attention of a dog? It's sort of like, "Shhhht" No, there's no implied 'i' in there. It's like the sound we make to tell others to be quiet, that "Shhh" sound but with a 't' on the end. I like it. It's a good sound for getting an animal's attention. After Captain made the first partial run at Desi, I took charge and started doing some posturing of my own. The next time Captain growled at Desi in prelude of another faux attack, I made a partial step between them (not really positioning myself between them but projecting my body in that direction as a means of 'saying' I would do so). I used the small food bag moving it out in front of me and insinuating it between them, again not actually placing the bag between them but moving it very slightly in that direction, posturing rather than doing.

This worked to prevent Captain from staging another run at Desi, but Captain continued to growl in Desi's direction periodically and even this was sufficient to drive Desi back from her food. Again I took a tiny, partial step as though to step between them. I looked directly at Captain and made that "Shhht" sound each time she growled. After 1 or 2 times Captain stopped growling altogether. What happened next totally surprised me.

By this time Desi had been driven back a few steps from her food. Even when Captain ceased growling at her, Desi hung back off the patio and away from her food. For a minute or two she seemed to have disappeared altogether but then she reappeared on my right. She had gone around a bunch of large potted trees on the patio to reappear beside me. Being right beside me, she was much, much closer to me now, only about 10in or so from my right foot. By going around to my right side, she had positioned herself so that I was now directly between Captain and her. Feeling safer there, she dropped her head and began eating the kibble I had dropped. After a few minutes she gained the confidence to eat her way back across the patio toward her original food pile - although now standing with her back to me, having approached her food from the new position beside me.

I never cease to be amazed at the intelligence raccoons display. Captain had gotten my message, and so it seemed had Desi. Desi understood that I was protecting her. She understood it so well, in fact, that she had repositioned herself to take better advantage of the protection I offered. She had moved from 3ft away to 10in away and in the process had placed me squarely between herself and her attacker. I was touched. Very much so. The two ate peacefully for the duration of the night.

You have to remember that these are not Heidi and the gang. These are two raccoon I barely know, two that I have only interacted with a handful of times. I haven't taken the time to slowly and painstakingly introduce myself to them, to start at a distance and work closer, to 1st sit very still and then move a little at a time and then finally try to stand upright in their presence. I had started not at the beginning but at the end. Heidi had not been here to reassure them that I was ok, and yet somehow they had understood anyhow.

It touched and amazed me that Desi understood and trusted that I would protect her. For Fraidy or Dennis or one of the others who knew me well this behavior would have been endearing. In truth for any wild animal or for that matter any creature with whom I did not share a common language to understand and trust me in this manner would have been exceptional, but it was truly touching coming from Desi who barely knew me. Like I said, I never cease to be amazed at the intelligence of raccoons.

Oopsie! Edited to fix a few minor errors and that one gigantic one you must surely have seen if you got here before it changed, the latter being one of those deals where one uses the wrong one of two or more words which sound identical but have altogether different spellings and, of course, meanings. I knew better and the error leapt off the page at me the instant I attempted to reread my post, something I should have taken the time to do pre-post, but, seriously, who has the time? But, as usual, I digress...

This message was edited May 27, 2013 11:32 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, when is that book coming out so you can tell the world how smart they are?! And how will we get everybody else with their head up their ... to read it?!!!

xo

ps. I am pleased by the detante between you, Desi and the Captain. ;)

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for sharing your fascinating experience with Desi & Captain! I'm so glad you have Desi to interact with, without needing to go through the slow steps to establish a relationship...

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Good to hear that Captain and Desi have come to an understanding about what is allowed behavior. I am so glad that you were able to 'nip that in the bud' so that it didn't have a chance to escalate over the summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.