Wildlife: Heidi Chronicles: Question to All Readers, 1 by DebbiesDaisy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DebbiesDaisy

In reply to: Heidi Chronicles: Question to All Readers

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heidi Chronicles: Question to All Readers
DebbiesDaisy wrote:

Cheryl, my daughter has been having "strange sounds" coming from the crawl space under her house. Went all around, could find no
signs of entry.

SO, she said "Mom, I have to go in and see, can you come over...just in case." We open up the entrance to the crawl space under the house,
she crawls in....and we listen. I said "Carrie, that is a baby raccoon I hear." No way Mom...how would it get in there?

SO, she gets her cell phone, googles "coon sounds" and starts playing it under the house to compare. Well, no need for that, upon hearing the coon noises...Mama raccoon dropped out of the insulation nest she built....and just looked at her.

Baited a trap and called the DEC. First attempt...mama and babies had a feast of sardines and never set the trap off at all.

Second attempt, caught Mama. Mr. DEC ...whom it turned out ran the greenhouse my daughter frequents....came right over.
Said he had a den all scooped out for them....and would move them safely. He gave Mama a going over, said she was about 2 years old....
and this was her first litter most likely.

Here are the babies....cute little things! Sure made a mess in the crawl space, pulling down the moisture barrier under the house and insultation.
Carrie is just glad they are OK and moved safely.

Debbie