Ready, set, order!

Thomaston, CT

What a happy photo! Lovely to see green clems!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wonderful, Annette! Dan always sends such good plants with such healthy roots that I'm sure each of yours will be glorious, as always.

Happy Easter, everyone!

Thumbnail by pirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Happy Easter to all the Clematis lovers and other gardeners too. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Thomaston, CT

Happy Easter.......nice to see the pansies in the garden markets.......

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Happy Easter everyone!!!!

Athens, PA

Happy Easter everyone!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi everybody, my clems are doing grate, all but one Henryy , have planty of buds, no flower yet. Pirl, I was looking in the old posts about the firtilizer I should use for the clems, I think I remember to use the one with the low first number, I have one for bulbs and flowers that is 4-10-10, or should I get something else.? I have lost all my seedlings, not enough light and to much watering, good thing I have some seeds left, will sow it in the ground in a few days. Hope you are well. I am not a total falieur (?) My famous corner is comming along, I have planted some zinnias , plumbago in the back also black and blue salvia, and some sweetpotato vine, ornamental grass .the James tree is blooming(white dogwood) end I got some coleus plants for $3.25 each, nice and big, I guess they are bigger then mail order. This week I will get my rose from Brushwood, climbing Eden, I hope it does well, never had good luck with roses before. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

Manure and compost would be fine - you don't even need the 4-10-10. Our local nursery owner grows great clematises by giving them a handful of lime one year and some compost the next year. They are not fussy plants. Rose growers certainly do more to get blossoms than clematis growers. I just can't see you as a failure when everything looks so nice and neat. It's good to see James in bloom!

The coleus look wonderful. You can take cuttings of them!

Overwatering kills more plants, and seedlings, than not watering enough. It's an age old problem. People think they are being kind but they kill the very plants they wanted and giving them "just a sip" doesn't get to the roots. Water when the soil is dry and use your finger to test the soil. For seedlings it's totally unimportant for the surface of the soil to be wet. The roots are down below and that's why watering from below is the recommended way to water them.

Thomaston, CT

I keep forgetting that! Thanks, Pirl.....Those are healthy-looking coleus,,,,,

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, here's an update on my m. Mayleen, it's full of buds all over the vine. I'm kicking myself that I have missed out on all these blooms over the years because I was cutting the plant back too harshly.

Ramona is also doing well, and is full of buds. This plant came back from the ground. It was planted on December 16, 2012, and virtually disappeared. It's made a great come back, has many stems, and is also full of buds, despite the exposure to several nights of freezing temps recently. It's grown so much, I had to tie it up on the fence yesterday. The lily that's sprouting close by is OP siesta.

Etelka, your garden and plants are looking lovely.

We've got more rain for tonight and tomorrow, so hopefully it will spur the other clematis to start growing as well. All of them got fertilized at the end of February.

Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Thomaston, CT

Those photos are wonderful.....I have some crocus opening, & I'm thankful for that!

Mayleen looks great. Some people won't allow any perennial to bloom for two years so the roots gather strength so just think of yourself as one of the expert gardeners, Annette. Don't you just love how some, like Ramona, come out of the ground at 90 miles an hour? They are so eager to grow and I love watching them day by day. Freezing temperatures have never bothered any clematis I've owned. Prolonged, cold springs are much more detrimental but they still aren't killed by them.

Nothing says spring as well as crocuses do!

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Joyful!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you both for the compliment, and I'm glad you both have something blooming now.

Arlene, it amazes me how rapidly the clematis do grow, some faster than others despite the same treatment.

It was a cold, dark, dank day here today. I'm shocked to say we didn't get out of the forties, with all the rain that we're having, and our temperature is colder than Anchorage, AK and Detroit, MI right now. WOW!

This message was edited Apr 4, 2013 10:42 PM

You deserve every compliment you get, Annette. Because of you I think I'll be ordering Mayleen.

Liberation is my speediest grower. In this collage you can see how quickly it went from the earth to over my head: 34 days! The spring of 2011 was very cool so I was fooled to see such speedy growth. Blooms were very late for all clem's that year.

We're due for mild temperatures but rain. Today was sunny but windy. The last two days were actually so windy I didn't work outside and that's rare for me in spring.

Thumbnail by pirl
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm glad to hear Liberation is a speedy grower. This is it's 2nd spring in my garden, I was inspired to order it because of the pictures you posted, just like Omoshiro!

You've got your Liberation growing in such a beautiful setting. I've got to start working on my garden architecture.

Our weather is going to get warmer next week. I'll believe it when I see it. We keep getting fooled into thinking we're warming up for spring, then the weather turns cold again. I'm actually enjoying the cooler weather, and the plants are loving all the rain.

I absolutely agree with you about the weather. A few nice days trick me into believing spring is here and then comes either the sunless days or rain or wind. We wait all winter for spring to arrive. The least Mother Nature could do would be to cooperate with our anxious spirits.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I told you, Daniel D. is my first bloomer, and the others are ready to pop soon. John Warner is so tall, it is visiting the Sunset's trellis, both have buds on. Eaven Hanry is about to cetch up with the rest, it is up 18, it sat there for 2 years. I am planting in between the pansies, I feel bad to pull them up yet. Also all my hostas are peeping, some already have leaves on it. This week is Masters golf week, I hope I wont spend my money before I make it. Life is good. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

Daniel looks so happy to see you, Etelka!

We're happy, up north here, just to see any growth. With our mild temperatures today (67) and tomorrow (78), I expect a lot more growth.

Our hostas broke ground over the weekend and the lilies are about and inch or two tall. Spring has sprung!

Thomaston, CT

No lilies or hostas here yet, but new growth on a clem!

I'll bet you a sedum that you have hostas poking through by Saturday!

Thomaston, CT

Oh, I hope so! Some spring bulbs have opened today.....

The magnolias are just beginning to show color. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Thomaston, CT

My magnolia is a late one, I won't be seeing blooms for another month.....

The later, the better. Nothing is worse than seeing black frosted blossoms. My mom would be in a foul mood for weeks when that happened to her magnolia.

Thomaston, CT

Can't blame her....you wait all year for it! This is one my late DH bought for me...not the one I would have chosen.....it's a small tree....the blooms are dark purple & unscented....but I don't have the heart to cut it down.

It has to be very special. I wouldn't even consider the thought of cutting it down.

Thomaston, CT

Thanks, Pirl!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My H. Young got the hint about the new trellis, so it is darting upward, it can go now 6 feet high.
If this is not God's creation, I don't know what? My 100 years old water oak tree is buding and looking good. The Bloodgood JP is doing nice, sorry I will have to trimm some, to be able to get in my house. Happy gardening. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

God is good. Love all your photos, Etelka. That 100 year old tree is stunning!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Your garden is doing well Etelka, hopefully all of the rain we're getting this evening will help get all of the plants really growing.

My dream has come into fruition. M. Mayleen is the first clematis to bloom for me, starting yesterday, and she's full of buds yet to open. I''m going to keep training her over the entrance to the back porch.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I'm not ordering anything until I see what comes up from last year. I got so many then, and some were really babies, some grew, some bloomed, some didn't... Some wilted back to nothing...

We still had snow and ice on the ground last weekend, not even a snowdrop showing above ground, but after the warm spell during the week I hope to see signs of life. We'll be there later on today and I'll see what's what.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg

Absolutely gorgeous, Annette. It's so great when dreams come true!

Hope you find wonderful surprises this weekend, Pam. Seeing snow now just seems so wrong!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My forst John Warren bloom, the second is opening up. very huge blooms. Also Ruutel is blooming, but it is kind of short. Last years blooms where very small, lots of them but tiny. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

You must be so happy with John Warren. Last year Ruutel grew well enough but only bloomed at the bottom. This year I'll give it as much compost as can fit in the area (between a walk and the house).

Thomaston, CT

I think my Ruutel only bloomed on the bottom as well last year.....I really like that John Warren.

Plant Files says 8 to 10 feet while many other sites say 6'. Would you believe 2'?

Thomaston, CT

Yes...that's about what mine is.

Athens, PA

My Ruutell has never gotten very big. I have been thinking about moving him because I question whether he gets enough light. He only gets to about 2 - 2 1/2 feet or so for me. I love John Warren though. JW is on my want list.

I'll give it another year and hope for the best. I'm just not fond of moving a plant if I don't have to do it.

Mine may be in too much shade, too, Carolyn.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.