Ready, set, order!

Thomaston, CT

How lovely to see plants leafing out & blooming! I almost had one garden clear of snow, but it's snowing again....yippee.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree, Marilyn.

When I woke up this morning I opened the shade fast to see how much snow we got...nothing. Are you getting snow today? The radio forecast said it will eventually make it out here but so far, so good.

Thomaston, CT

Only about 11/2' so far....still saying 3-6 for tonight....just so depressing!

Yes, depressing to the max. We'll get hit later. Now they've changed the weekend forecast to "the 40's" instead of 50. Spring can't get here soon enough.

Thomaston, CT

Still saying 50's for Sun.-Mon. I'll believe it when I see it!

The snowflakes are countable here but the forecast remains the same for tonight and the prediction of slush for tomorrow.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, this thread has been awfully quiet, I hope everyone is doing well.

We've had a colder week this week with nights in the 20's that did not phase the emerging clematis. I believe my first clematis that will bloom this year will be Patricia Ann Fretwell, she's full of nice fat buds. Ramona is also putting on nice growth. We're expected to get into the 70's this weekend, which will help spur the growth of the other clematis.

Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Thomaston, CT

Lovely new growth....my crocus just started budding!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I just had a chance to go to the top and read most of the post. Arlene I hope Jack is doing much better. I am glad to hear that they caught it in time. I lost both my father and his sister, my Aunt Daisy, to that. My sister and I get check every 5 years now.

As far as the Clem's, they sure want to start growing. I see so many areas with new growth that I am afraid that when it does warm up I wont be able to keep up with them. I am adding another trellis to the top of 2 that are next to my deck. Now the trellis will go all the way up to the top of the Pergola, at least 12 feet high. I got 1 more trellis this spring, now I have to figure out where to put ti and which clem to plant on it. I ordered 3 more from Brushwood this year.But I have a few I need to move. Come on warm weather, I need a warm sunshine fix.

Belated happy birthday wishes, Marie. I hope you had a great day and will have a wonderful year filled with blooming clematises along with sunny skies and warm weather. Jack is so much better. Thank you for asking. He's back to walking in the morning but not the long walks he had done. Maybe warmer weather will help with that.

I came too close to losing my dad with AAA in 1971 but the end of the year was the loss of my mom, not my dad who lived another 9 years. It's wise to get checked for it since it's so deadly. Only 25% survive surgery regardless of age. They end up bleeding to death in just a few hours. Time is really "of the essence" with AAA. For anyone reading this, the classic sign of an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm is severe pain in the back, at the waistline, often accompanied by lower abdominal pain. Do not hesitate. Get to a hospital immediately.

Annette - we're all jealous!

Marilyn, my crocuses are in bloom. They began last Sunday. What a welcome sight!

Marie - please tell us which ones you ordered. I've been busy both inside and outside so I haven't been clem hunting, though I did spot one a month or two ago, at Hummingbird, which I love. Here's their page on 'Suzanne'. I think the rounded tepals are so appealing, maybe because I have so many that are pointed.

I did buy two Ville de Lyon clem's at a big box store (labeled as City of Lyon), packaged dormant in green plastic, and immediately planted them indoors in a self-watering pot. Maybe I'm just desperate for spring to arrive though yesterday I was outside working at the "real feel" of 23 degrees.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Happy birthday, Marie. Pirl, I'm so glad Jack is doing better....warm weather should help! That clem is lovely....wonder if the bars stay such a nice bright color.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Belated Happy Birthday Marie, I hope you had an amazing day.

I was checking on the newly planted clematis yesterday, and it looks like Snow Queen that I planted at the mailbox is dead ;~(. It looked perfectly fine last week and had started leafing out. I wonder if one of the neighbor's dog urinated on it? I'm going to cut it back to the ground to see if I can rescue it. Annette

Thomaston, CT

Hope it comes back!

Athens, PA

Annette -

You never know. Clems are notorious for appearing to be dead and then coming back the following year, so don't remove it.

I have one clem in particular that I always think is dead and then she comes back later than the others.

Happy belated birthday, Marie.

Carolyn is right. All too often they play dead but they do emerge to delight us. Keep the faith!

Athens, PA

Quote from pirl :
. Keep the faith!

So even if the clem does not come back this year, continue to water and take care of it as per normal.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the advice everyone, I gave it a good drink of water this morning, to see if it will show any signs of life.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2013 3:09 PM

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

This was a productive garden weekend, I finally got the DH to put up the hooks so that I could get m. Mayleen across the entrance of the back deck. It's leafing out nicely. He was spurred into doing this for me because we had guests coming over for a barbeque to celebrate his birthday. I can't wait to see how many blooms I'm going to get this year. I had been foolishly pruning this vine too much, and therefore cutting off the old wood and blooms, not knowing how to treat a group 1 clematis previously.

I checked on Niobe and Miguel Viso, and noted that they too have buds.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2013 10:45 PM

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

1 x Clematis Warsaw Nike = $11.21
1 x Clematis Gravetye Beauty = $16.95
1 x Clematis Sympatia = $10.02
1 x Clematis Rooguchi = $11.96

This what I ordered. Now to just figure out where to put them. I see more trellis purchases in store...lol

Thomaston, CT

Nice to see some greenery......will see more snow today!

That's delightful to see, Annette!

Marie - I'll look up each of them but I do have Rooguchi and it does love to scramble.

Aren't we thrilled at the prospect of more snow, Marilyn? NO, we are not amused.

Thomaston, CT

Bad joke this time of year......glad my reticulated iris & crocus haven't opened yet.....

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

We had temps below freezing this morning, and tomorrow we're expecting a wintry mix. These clematis don't seem to be phased by the cold weather. Here is Crystal Fountain, Duchess of Albany, and Kardynal Wyszynski with a bud in the garden today.

We're back to being chilly for the next week. I'll definitely be getting later blooms this year. Last year because of the early warm weather, Pink Champagne bloomed the 3rd week of March, and Omoshiro, Miguel Viso and Mrs. C bloomed the last week of March. That's not going to happen this year, which is okay. I'll just continue to enjoy the blooming bulbs that we have now.

Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Thomaston, CT

Sorry that you're getting bad weather....late for wintry mix in Georgia.....

It's 29 degrees now in NYC. We're a bit cooler out here at the eastern tip of Long Island.

Not much ever bothers the clematises. A very long, prolonged cold spring, will set them back but they bounce back. In 2011 Omoshiro bloomed for the first time on July 8th due to the cold spring but in 2012 the first bloom was May 4th (pictured below). That's a huge difference.

Love the bud! It's the promise of things yet to come.

Thumbnail by pirl
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Arlene, thanks for posting the beautiful picture of Omoshiro, it's good to be reminded of what a gorgeous clematis this is.

You're welcome. I see Omoshiro and May seems so far away!

Heat wave today...41 degrees! Many clem's have swollen leaf buds but no real buds yet. I know it's too soon but I feel like a kid looking for Santa Claus.

Just ordered 14 dahlias. Hoping spring comes very soon or I'll be up to my eyeballs in plants!

Edited to correct the total to 15 dahlias. Don't even ask what I'll do with the 33 I have stored for the winter.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2013 11:19 PM

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Heat wave, LOL. We had sleet this morning, but I'm glad it isn't do any damage. We've got more rain coming over the next 2 days, and freezing temps at night into early next week

I seem to a growing collection of things to plant this spring, with the latest being a bunch of tubers, bulbs, and rhizomes from Walmart yesterday. Then Bert emailed that I can come pick up my lily bulbs, oh my!!!! My 3 Heirloom roses arrived yesterday, my standard rose is being shipped from Cali, and I'm waiting on the Brushwood clematis. Soooo many plants, so little time to plant them. What's a gardener to do?

Pray for spring, Annette. I already bought dahlias (from Walmart and Lynch Creek), begonias, Siberian irises, Acidanthera, clematis, and my Bert lilies have arrived. Still have the Mischel's Greenhouse order to complete. Caladiums will arrive in May.

Somehow it all gets done even if it wears us down to do the work. I'm waiting to buy roses until the masonry work is done.

Thomaston, CT

Oh, my! I never thought my plants would be coming anytime soon....I have the dahlias I overwintered successfully for the first time.....I'll start those in 2 weeks....

Do you start them under lights, Marilyn? I'm trying one in a very sunny window but there's no sign of anything happening yet...after at least two weeks. I hate the thought of dragging that huge bag, and a smaller bag, down to the basement to put them under lights down there - too many steps!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Pirl, long time no see. Last year I had cut up my dahlia bulbs, left one eye on each, covered with light soil not al the way and put them in a zip loc bag. They all sprouted out, so from 2 bulbs I got 8, gave some away and the friends dahlia was very nice and tall, a very rear white one. I left my bulbs in ground last fall, will see if it will come up. This time I will have cages for them, little bit smaller then tomato cages. Here we have cold weather again, my seeds all sprouted and I am running out of window space and it is to cold to put them out on the porch shelve. Wish you happy Spring soon. Etelka

Hi Etelka. At least you cut your dahlias! I have these huge clumps to plant since I can't spot what eyes look like. We've had dahlias, which I didn't want to dig and didn't love, come up in spring after a warm winter but it's rare.

Good luck with your seedlings! It's been a rough spring for many of us.

Thomaston, CT

I start my dahlias in the basement....but I have sliding glass doors & several windows, so it's pretty light down there.....my stepson was a commercial fisherman in Maine, & he gave my DH some plastic fish buckets....I have one left...I just lay the tubers in the bottom & cover with soiless mix, water & they sprout.

I need your determination!

Did you see Monday night's forecast? Maybe I'll just hide out in the basement, with the dahlias, until we get decent weather.

Thomaston, CT

Sounds like a plan!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hurray, I have done it, finnaly finshed my project. Pirl, do you think I have to put some wire or some strings in between the posts to have the clems to attache to? It is 6 feet tall and it was not so bad, the next one will be easier and less brused knockels. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Thomaston, CT

Good job!

Good job, Etelka. Yes, you can use string or the clear plastic vinyl so the clematises will grow on it.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Ohhhh JOY!!!! My Brushwood order came today. So I happily opened the 2 boxes to welcome the new clematis to my garden family, LOL ;~))))))))

The first picture is of the new crew: Chantilly, Andromeda, Yukokoshi, Veronica's Choice, Fleuri, Little Mermaid, Red Star and Best Wishes.

Second picture is of Veronica's Choice with a bud.

Third picture is the 3 smallest of the bunch Andromeda, Fleuri, and Little Mermaid.

Fourth picture is of Little Mermaid, with LITTLE being the key word! Seriously now, did it really have to look like it's name. I will let the smallest ones grow a little more before planting them out into the garden.

Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.