Florida Chit Chat #7 New Year for Fun!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

It is on line. I will dmail you, right now we have photo contest going on and just talking.
It might be a couple of weeks before we launch to photo study group.
Sandy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sunkissed and Sandy,
Love your pics. Flowers are just beautiful and birds are cute. I have to fill my tray feeder every day with oiled sunflower seeds and safflower seeds. My cardinal couple and doves love them.

Good luck with your photo class.

Sandy,
how is everyones health up your way?? I'm thinking its about time for a spring RU in March. Later on it gets pretty hot.
Let me know please if you are in contact with Brandy and Linda etc.
Bonnie

Bonnie Yes I am in contact with them. I need to start some seeds LOL

Sandy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sandy,
I don't care if you bring a twig you find along the road. Your all such a happy and welcomed crowd. Look forward to your thoughts and their responces. Thanks for your help.
Bonnie

Bonnie I have a ton of seeds but just need someone to use a cattle prod to get me moving.

Sandy

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I will be there if you have it after March. Needless to say I need plants.
Sidney

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I posted this on the plant ID forum but thought I'd see if anyone here has a clue.
Walked past this yesterday AM. I've never seen anything like it & it was the only one.

Oddest 'shroom I've ever seen.

Any ideas????

Thumbnail by Qwilter

poison

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I would say your mushroom is amanita muscaria, poisonous and psychoactive stuff. But it's pretty, in an odd kind of way. What can I tell you? I have had a life-long attraction to medicinal and/or poisonous plants.

Back in Montreal, when the ladies from my old horticultural society came to visit my garden, with its complement of toxic, medicinal, invasive, large-sized plants, they renamed it Alice in Wonderland on acid. I even had a plaque made for the garden's gate with that name on it. The rules were simple: touch nothing, snip nothing, taste nothing and get yourself some tea and cookies on the deck. I have been gone for 6 years and they still talk about it. An English cottage garden, this wasn't.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Amanita muscaria, commonly known as the fly agaric very pretty but very poison

Sylvain crossed posted with you

Sandy

Sandy, you can cross-post with me any time you want. No problem at all. I don't bite and my wife claims I'm quite comfy. LOL.

Sylvain.

I thought it was pretty. Thanks for the info.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I think it is totally cool looking. I love it. Wish I had found it. You can almost look at that tho and know not to eat it.

I would have love to have found it also--I love to take pictures of mushrooms and flowers and sunsets and------and----and-----!!! You get the message. LOL

sandy

Info on the 'schoom: http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Amanita_muscaria.html

Now i need to go back & see if it has "opened".

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Fascinating. Quilter you really have an oddity there. I have found some now and then throughout my garden but I never pick them to eat. Nothing that looked like that. Glad you posted that info link.
Bonnie

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie I hope you do have a RU. I thought about having one here, but not a lot of room, but could still pull it off if needed to. My DH's 60th birthday is the beginning of March and we have some big plans the first week, but after that I could make it.

Sandy thanks for the invite to the photo study group. I'm having so much fun photographing everything in site, now that I finally have figured out how to manually use this camera...but a long way to go.

OOOH, RU talk. Me likey!

I'll crank up Google Earth and look up Clermont, FLK. I'm sorry to admit I have no idea where Clermont is, but I would love to participate, circumstances permitting. I could get some cuttings going so they're ready in time. I certainly have enough stuff from which to harvest cuttings. That would be fun, if it happens.

Take care, all. I'm off to check out Google Earth. Clermont... please don't be a suburb of Thallahassee!
Sylvain.

sunkissed you are welcome. Think I will be starting the new study group in Feb. Plus we will have a new photo contest. Need to talk to the others to get a subject.

Sandy

Ps hope y'all like this one. My hairy friend get into trouble at the kennel last week. He opened 3 gates and get into the area where the food was kept and took and ate someones dog biscuits

Thumbnail by wren107

Awww, Sandy love the pup. Looks like some German Shepherd in him. We had a shepherd for 13 years, she was the best dog I've ever owned. I sure miss her around here. Been gone now 3 years.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOLOL That is so funny about Andre. I laugh when you call him the demon child, I know you love him to death, What a perfect poster.
One thing is for sure, pets can sure steal our hearts and they are never ever ever forgotten.

Was 75 here at 1000. Now, at 3PM, it is 58 and so windy.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Andre is an angel. Sandy is just kidding. Sounds like he outsmarted the kennel owners. LOL

Sylvain Clermont is 23 miles west of Orlando right on hiway 50. I am 5 miles south of 50. Very easy to find.
Don't think you can call us a suburb but there are 2 housing developments just up the hill from me. As long as they don't bother our cows we get along fine. And we have 3 layers of fence to keep them from bothering anyone else.

I sure was proud of Sandy last year she drove right to us. There are other cows on our road but no pure black angus so I tell everyone to look for the black cows. Plus my business sign is still up out front even tho business is about obsolete.

I'm 4 hrs. south of Talla. so don't head there.
Bonnie

Bonnie I did have some problems getting there. I will use a different map or that darn GPS

sunkissed Andre is a pure breed Belgian Tervuren, he is my 3rd one. And he is a trip. Way to smart for both of ours good.

Sandy

Hi, all.

It was only 54F when I got up at 7:30 this morning. I had to get out in the middle of the night because the wind was shaking the wind chimes enough that the neighbors could have called the police for noise nuisance. I silenced it in such a hurry, I forgot to put some clothes on before I got out of the house. Not that anybody would see anything, but I still should have covered up. Gail was appaled that I went out sans clothes.

I did check out where Clermont is. Yeah, I figured as much: kinda west of Orlando. Florida turnpike to Orlando and then veer West and in the GPS we trust. It's 212 miles from here, as far as Google Earth's directions are concerned. I could leave very early in the morning and drive to Clermont for the day. Then, the excitement of the day would set in: meet new friends, exchange plants, see the cows, etc. So I'd turn in to a nice place and spend the night there before returning home the next day. No way am I doing 7+hours driving in one day. So, if a roundup should happen, I'd love to be there. There was a roundup last year somewhere, but I was prevented from going. I can't quite remember if it was work, or sickness that hindered my project. I'm getting old, I guess.

Although I have never met André, and as far as I could tell, he strikes me as a gifted dog that must be oodles of fun to have around, as long as you have a good sense of humour. I am convinced he's a delightful animal that sorely tries your patience once in a while. Who could resist a face like that?

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sylvain,
If you would like to see some pics from last RU I had here go to RU pictures forum. It was Oct. 22, 2011. I prayed for 3 weeks prior for good weather and it couldn't been better. I'm not so peppy in heat so I wanted it when it would be pleasantly cool and it was perfect.

I will check a map and learn where you are as I don't think its necessary to drive to Orlando to get here. I wouldn't drive 7 hrs. both ways in one day either. I'd be asleep at the wheel.

We had so many plants it was unreal. I got what everyone left and I'll bet I set out 50 plants. And food we had a ton of and it was all delicious. Plant people are just wonderful friends to make. If I remember correctly I think you were ill. Hope you stay well now.

Sandy you got here thats what counts. My kids all have GPS and they still get lost so I don't feel so bad. I use mapquest and a good old reg. map to get where I'm going. So far always have made it to where I was planning on going. If I get lost I find a realtors office and they usually have good maps of the area and beyond.

Since you were here last time I and my son and grand sons dug another pond and have more koi. My restful place and I sure love my fish.
I'm hoping this time Cherri (sunkissed) can make it.

Sandy check around up there and see if toward end of March would be a good time for most. Let's speculate and say March 30. Just give me an idea of when would be good.

Bonnie

I'd like to come down and swap some plants. Hear there is a very nice new quilt shop in Orlando so a double reason to head down.

March is out for me, I have to have my knee replaced and that looks like the best time for it.
Sylvain Andre is fun to live with most of the time but he can be a pain also. If you have every been around a 2 year old you will understand what it is like.I tell everyone that living with a Terv is like living with a hyper active, overly intelligent mischievous 2 year old and they never grow out of it. And Andre is my third one so I must be crazy!!!!!
Sandy

Hey Bonnie I can make it, if after the 8th of March.

Hi, y'all.

I'm using my new Android tablet to send this. And it works! WooHoo! Only drawback is I am a fast typist. Entering words letter by letter is a tad tedious. I have big fingers, so I'm using a stylus to tap the on-screen keyboard. I'll get used to it, I guess.

I have no time constraints about a roundup. I'd just like a bit of advance notice, so I can root some cuttings. I know r/u are a lot of trouble for the host gardener, so... whenever it's convenient for you and the most people can show up.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sylvain, have you ever been to Bok Tower when youve been in that part of the state. Sorry, that was off the subject.

Back in the dark ages, I used to love the citrus tower coming into sight when going down the turnpike, it seemed so big back then. Of course, that is when Clermont was a synonym for citrus groves.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Citrus Tower is still there but unfortunately groves aren't. Never have taken the elevator to the top and I've lived here 43 years. Don't like heights. All you would see now is roof tops. Developments filled up the dead grove land.
I sure miss all the citrus trees.

Sandy do you feel April would be better for you??? I know the PT that goes along with knee replacement takes time. Let me know what you think as I would really miss you.

Bonnie

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Seems to be a plethora of knee replacements these day. 08/28/12 DH had his right knee replaced (72 years old)..
12/17/12 our daughter had both knees replaced (49 years old). PT is super, super important. If it hurts, just grin and bare it. No other choice. DH was walking WITHOUT A WALKER in less than 2 weeks. Praying for uncomplicated surgery and recovery.

Wren, I think we are friends on FB. Have a difficult time sorting out who is who.

Christi

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi, beautiful Christi - I hope you are well - I think of you and all your love EVERY day!

Bonnie I do not know as I have to wait until I finish my dental work-been to long and I really want to finish it up soon. Plus I have not seen the surgeon yet

Christi I am Sandra Coffman, not on there much but I do post a picture every morning and my pictures is of Andre my dog

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Of course, our "Good Morning" lady. Good luck with the knee. DH literally sailed through it. Daughter having 2 done at once....not so fast.

Kay, we are going to have to plan to meet somewhere. I just know we would be BFF.

Christi

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

You are welcome ANY TIME to come and stay with me - I'd love to host your visit!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

It's on my bucket list.

Thanks, I am hoping to wait until I finish getting my partial bridges finish. I go on The 18th of next month for another attempt to fit the frame works. If these do not fit I am going to scream. I know the main problem is the shape of my mouth and jaw but this is getting old. We have been trying to get this done for over 2 years and something always goes wrong, either the fit is wrong or one of my teeth goes bad and we have to start over..
The students graduate in May so if it is not done my then I have to train another student-- lost count but it is some where between 8 and 10.
If the fit it will be roughly 2 weeks after that and I will have a full set of teeth once more.
Sandy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.