Florida Chit Chat #7 New Year for Fun!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!
We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1280849/#top
Please stop by often and keep us informed with what's going on in your garden.
Right now many of us are watching the Florida Eagle Watch http://www.ustream.tv/SouthwestFloridaEagleCam
There are two eggs in the nest as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgyaDEk_ZyQ
I am returning to S Florida this week.
I miss seeing all of my beautiful water loving birds.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

Thank you for the new thread. Happy New Year to all of you. Sydney, it will be nice to know you're again. Safe trip.

Sylvain.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Glad to see you are still kickin', Sylvain.

Happy New Year to all.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I noticed when I got back from the mall the chat on the owl cam was not coming up. If you want to see what everyone is saying about the 'goings on', just make up a username and password and it will let you see the chat. I dont know why it all the sudden stopped. I guess someone wasnt playing nice. PEOPLE....cant even watch an couple of eagles hatch without an issue. I love that it also has sound.

Happy New year back to all the Florida folks. Great weather day to live in FL.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sydney thanks for the new thread

Happy New year everyone

I am busy learning more about photography and photo editing

Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107 Thumbnail by wren107
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Its out, the first eaglete is all the way out.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
BONNIE

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi, all! Hope everyone has a great, plant-filled new year!

Norma

Jacksonville, FL

Happy New Year all!! Wishing a wonderful early spring any growing season this year with plenty of rain but not too much!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9JPiQCmA1Y

Happy New Year to you all as well. Hope it is a happy and healthy New Year for all. Some peace and kindness in the world wouldnt hurt either.

Im afraid on still on this darn eagle. This link shows the eaglete with Mom today. Not sure if the second egg will make it, seems it should be out. Two would be amazing.

Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Floridans I'm still here ! Anyway look what I found had NO idea they found a weeping sport . Hope you all are well and had a great Christmas and New Year!
Johnny

Thumbnail by LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Good to see you are still here, johnny!!! Where did you find the mandivilla?

Found my Angel Trumpet blooming this AM. This is my idea of Winter!!!!

Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from Qwilter :
Good to see you are still here, johnny!!! Where did you find the mandivilla?

Found my Angel Trumpet blooming this AM. This is my idea of Winter!!!!

Hi Quilter Believe it or not this is a Camellia picked it up at Pat's ( you know where that is ) ! Anyway I've sprouted tons of named hybrid Brugs this Winter and if you'd like to try to grow your very own will share . If we get them in the ground late March we can have our own unique blooms by late summer .

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I about fainted when I saw that camellia vine yesterday. I looked up where to get them and could not find anything. I went back and looked at it and though " maybe its just, but no, a camellia that is spindaly. Its one of the october blooming camellias and I would go crazy to have it in a vine.

Jean, I am so excited about the angel trumpets. Mine is in full bloom on the patio, this has never happened this time of year. Smells wonderful around it as well. The ones out in the yard got nipped.

I dot know where Pats is, but I need to find out!!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Just went to check, looks like the second "eagle has landed". Ive seen one in a nest before but never two. I was worried that egg would not hatch.

Johnny - Never would have thought that was a Camellia. Both my trees are blooming - intense red flowers.
I'd gladly help you find a good home for those Brugs. I've kept the 2 I have alive for a couple years now and the 1 was still blooming last month. I'm starting to clear an area for the garden in the back yard. Hope to get it tilled & a load of top soil added in early Feb. I want to be ready for planting come Spring.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Jean, that looks to be a sasanqua camellia. Ive only ever seen them in that pink color and the are different than the 'regular' camellias. These start blooming in October.

I could be wrong about that, could just be a double pink. Johnny, which is it.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Ozzie and Harriet are about to be on Fox and Friends

I just watched the eagles on FOX.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yep, I caught it as well.

Seeing that new life has given me some hope/peace. Ive got to take my 16 year old cat..(.gray and white that looks JUST like yours Jean), to the vet at 9. Its problably his last visit, or should be. Ive not been able to make that ultimate decission yet. Its something anyone with a pet has faced before and will again, its hard tho...really hard. Ive yet to have a pet that just passed on its own. Well, not a dog or cat. I feel so guilty being upset over animals, when so many children/people are suffering. I can adjust the mind, but the 'gut', not so much.

OK....back to the eagles and camellias and hoping for a sunny day in g'ville.

Yes, Gardenglory, the passing of a pet never fails to affect us greatly. Bereavement is a devastating process. And yes, there are a lot of sick, or dying people suffering everywhere. But, as you know it, our pets occupy a much closer place in our hearts than all the misery in the world. That's why it's so hard to make the ultimate decision to end it when things become unmanageable. We kept a mix-breed Lhassa Hapso for 16 1/2 years; she was a golden dog. Finally, one morning, we could tell that Nounou wasn't feeling so well. WeI left in a hurry for the vet's office and I returned alone. The kidney had failed and the only humane thing to do was to end it quickly. I made the decision alone, held her in my arms as the two injections were administered. She fell asleep in my arms and with the second injection,she quickly passed away in my arms. That was over 15 years ago, and tears are still welling in my eyes as I write the story now. I did the right thing in a timely manner and her precious memory is still fresh in our hearts.

We now own a snake; a delightful 3 1/2 years old ball python that has been raised like a baby ever since she was but a wee hatchling. We rescued her from a sordid pet shop not far from here where, she was being mistreated. She was kept in an air conditionned area, without benefit of a heat lamp. She was kept without a hiding place, no water in sight, plenty of poo in her living space and on a bed of sand (a big no-no with most snakes). She was cold, dehydrated, hungry, thirsty, affraid, showed the remains of a bad shed and had never been held, warmed or loved. That baby was slithering in the shadow of the Valley Of Death, I tell you. We rescued her just before she got to Death's door. Of course now, she has taken that special place in our hearts reserved for our beloved pet. Living with us, she's fed, warm, hydrated, socialized, handled every day and all grown. She brings such joy to our lives. While I spent a whole month in the hospital, I was imagining ways to smuggle the snake into my private room, so I could hold her and tell her the story of how she was when we found her at the pet shop. But then,a hospital is not a healthy place, so I stopped hoping to smuggle in her somehow. It would have been selfish of me to expose the snake to that unhealthy environment.

No matter what species you adopt as a pet, mamal, bird, fish or reptile, they occupy a priviledged place in our lives. It is therefore our responsibilty to ensure that they lack for nothing and when the time comes, we must take those heart-wrenching decisions. We do it to honor them and the great years of pleasure they brought us.

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I gotta get myself some snake lovin'.

Sylvain.

Cinnamon (14 y/o orange beastie) went to the Vet yesterday for a re-check. Discovered he has arthritis in his back hip. Prob why he has been more lethargic than usual. Poor guy endured 8 shots of kitty cortisone and came thru like a trooper. And the same homeopathics I take for arthritis are fine for him, in a lower dose. Now to get him back up & moving about.

Glorious news!

Sylvain.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, I hardly believe it, but Im home with boo-boo. I know Ive only bought him a little longer, but the vet said as long as he is eating, were going to keep trying. We go back next Friday, hopefully Ive got most of the emotion out and we will do and see what happens.

Thanks Sylvain for the story of you dog. I had to have the oxie that had taken me thru heart surgery put to sleep almost two years ago. Yes, the tears still come. I was in the same room today as all that took place, first time I had been back in that room. A box of kleenx was needed, but probably a good thing I faced it.

Jean...do you have two cats, boo-boo- is gray and white and I thought you had posted a picture of a gray and white cat.

How long do snakes live. Im guessing some of those monsters they are now hunting in the everglades are pretty old.

3 cats here. Shaleigh is the black tuxcedo (female -just turned 3 in Nov - the Princess). Then there is also Pumpkin (12 y/o female - the Queen). Cinn & Pumpkin sleep all curled up & it looks like I have a 2 headed cat.

Lucy is a ball python. At 42 inches, she is fully grown. They live for 30 years in nature and slightly less in captivity. It's not a monster, just a baby that loves to cuddle up and enjoy our warmth.

Had I known, I would have gotten one a long time ago.

Sylvain.

Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from gardenglory :
Jean, that looks to be a sasanqua camellia. Ive only ever seen them in that pink color and the are different than the 'regular' camellias. These start blooming in October.

I could be wrong about that, could just be a double pink. Johnny, which is it.

It's a sasanqua named "Marge Miller " from what I read about it it's the 1st (weeping) sport and came from Australia . Can be used in hanging baskets or a ground cover or trained as a standard like this one. Wish it was grafted to a good stock so the continued training would be a bit easier .
Pat's is here on Fleming Island and one of the only places I've found that do Monrovia plants. They also sell certain things that you just cant buy at Lowe's or HD !
Quilter It's a deal ! I have room for about 30 brugs to grow out from seed and way to many sprouted for me this year . Wait till you see how fast and fun plus BIG seed grown is .

Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from gardenglory :
I about fainted when I saw that camellia vine yesterday. I looked up where to get them and could not find anything. I went back and looked at it and though " maybe its just, but no, a camellia that is spindaly. Its one of the october blooming camellias and I would go crazy to have it in a vine.

Jean, I am so excited about the angel trumpets. Mine is in full bloom on the patio, this has never happened this time of year. Smells wonderful around it as well. The ones out in the yard got nipped.

I dot know where Pats is, but I need to find out!!!!

Glory when I plant it I'll need to take alot of it off to train it to keep it's standard form . Will do some rootings and if they take will let you know.

I made out great at Pat's Fall sale. Got some very nice size plants for $1 each. I'd been holding off buying plants till I had the back garden ready but could not pass up those prices. So they are in temporary spots and all doing well.

I was given starting of Dutchman's Pipe this summer. Had no idea of what/how it bloomed. Saw what i thought were some brown leaves on it the other day & when I got closer realized they were tiny "pipes". He is not in a good location so I'll need to find a better home for him come Spring.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Been trying to find the sasanqua camelia MargeMiller. Only place I found it so far is on Monrovia Plants site wich means I'd have to find a retailer. Says its new here from Aust. and is a ground cover but could be trained otherwise. Johnny I hope your cuttings are successful. Would happily buy one from you.
Good luck with yours its beautiful.
Bonnie

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yea, I really have to have one of those. If I could find a place to buy them Id have more. I would gladly drive to Jax. or Orlando, Tampa.

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

My dutchman's pipe is on the east side of the house on a fence. no afternoon sun and I need a machete to whack on it. You can keep it back on then it gets higher on the fence. No hot sun seems to work best--this was the third location and it is truly thriving.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I didn't know where else to post this so I opted for the Florida forum. What do you guys say to Camellias in my zone. I'm in 10B and as far as I've read they don't do well here. I myself have one that's been with me for a couple of months. I am keeping it in a pot and most likely bringing it inside once the weather gets hotter. I purchased the soil acidifier to meet pH requirements and I keep it in shade like it's supposed to be. Here is my concern. I went to HD today and they were selling an older couple 6 gorgeous double red bloomed shrubs. I wanted one myself. They were told that they would take full sun and gave them Ixora fertilizer ( The guy said that it was better when they make one specific for Camellias with a better nutrient distribution). I tried to be of help and told them a bit about their requirements and showed them the appropriate fertilizer and acidifier and I they just disregarded me. The lady said that if they died she would simply bring it back with the receipt. That bothered me because they are not willing to take advice just because I didn't have an orage apron on and listened to people that have no clues whatsoever about the plant requirements which would eventually cause the plant to die.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I would say its a no-go. Im guessing maybe taking them in in the summer would keep the bush alive, the real problem is the cold. You dont have what they need down there. Who knows, maybe someone has bred one for the south, but Id be very leary. My biggest ones get sun most of the day, altho none the full afternoon sun. They like the sun more than you would think.

Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

Roly0217
Camellias prefer filtered light and sorta acid soil. I lived in south FL for years and we can grow so many things that Camellias never were a thought for me. Most soil in south FL is very hard (alk ) and shade or filtered light can be rare.
You can grow them but dang I'd rather grow 10b plants outside ANYTIME !

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

from my reading. camellias will grow in zone 10 and most if you take special care of them will grown in some sun.
http://www.camelliashop.com/pages/Climate-Zones.html

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I have 2 camelias that have been outside for 2 years and one I just planted yesterday. I am in zone 9A central Fl. not far from Orlando. The one I just planted is loaded with buds I'm hoping it flowers. Other 2 older ones have not bloomed yet but are living. I have 2 in partial shade/sun and new one is in full sun. I am experimenting and if I see any damage from sun I will move again. I live by the old addage "right plant-right place". Sometimes this requires a few moves I have learned. I also live by 3 moves and your out. After 3 moves it either lives or gets pulled out and junked.

Roly, our HD garden people here don't even water their plants. When they die they just go back to nursery. Don't feel bad that you got a ridiculous answer as I have learned most personnel working in garden centers of the big box stores are not gardners. Once at HD a whole truckload came in and all the plants were labeled wrong and I was sure and told mgr. He just smiled and had workers from nursery put them on shelves. Thats not fair to folks who buy them but thats life.
Bonnie

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

There is a bit more hope. I've got a friend who grows Hydrangeas down here. I will stay hopeful and do my best to keep the Camellia happy.
LoveBrug I love my tropicals and the variety but I'm a zone pusher... Have always been. I've got daylilies growing and blooming for a couple of years now and the clumps getting bigger. I've tried irises with no luck however....:( Paperwhite are growing and think that they are starting to bud already. Planted those last year and the Easter lilies are showing up already !!! Very excited for the garden.
wren107; Thank you for the linkl
Bonnie it is sad seeing all of this happening and it really bothered me that they give false information without even knowing what they are selling. This old couple bought the plants because the guy told them that anything in the full sun beds would grow and bloom in full sun here. We'll see in a couple of months who'll be laughing.

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

I just cut back my camellias and azaleas here on Marco Island--Southwest Florida, just a bit north of Miami on the other coast. They get NO sun at any time of the year and bloom like mad every year. I give them the acid Miracle Gro, coffee grounds and neglect.They are in a very miserable soil, if you can call it that!--really sand is a better term!They are under a coconut palm on the north side of the house. I was plant shopping for our other house in Ocala this past week and they had camellias out in the full sun at the nursery and they looked GREAT! My daylilies also look great here--have stuck with the cheapo ones from Sams or the violently expensive ones from White Flower Farm.

I have been known to tell people in Lowes--"Don't buy (fill in the blank) --it won't grow here here!" and they actually listen!!!!

We have a bit of a hill and we have constantly adapted and moved plants for the past 5 years. We are beginning to figure the lot out and are finally managing to get some things right. My giant coral stone rocks got put in place by some of the yard men yesterday-- can't wait to get the rest of that filled in and start with the bromeliads and such on the rocks. Two of the rocks just sort of stayed right where they were dropped!

Happy Sunday!
Debi

Johnny - I stopped at Pat's on the way back from a walk yesterday & admired the Camellia you purchased. They do have some beauties in there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.