Morning Glories Winter 2012-2013

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Helena. I carried my 5 baby mg's down to the g house cause they were looking like they could use more sun. DH isn't taking good care of my g house and the bottom plate on the door is loose. Some cold air came in and now they look like they are dying. Too big a diff although it was only 68 in here at night.
It must have got down to 50 in there. Seems like that would not be cold enough to hurt them. Didn;t hurt anything else. I told him to order me a new door.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, I hope your mgs make it and you get your door fast. Mine did not look happy this morning, it got really cold. But I did have 3 blooms from the wild mg this morning. My hands were freezing when I tried to take picture of a rose, didn't come out too good.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Nice blooms on your wild MG Helena. The rose is a beauty.

The transvaal blooms were no more than 2 and 1/2 inches across.

I carried my box of MG's back up to the house to see if I can save a couple.
I think I'll just throw a few mxd sds under the benches in my g house and let em just come up by themselves. Seems like I have better luck with the mgs in the floor anyway.:-)
Helena, down to maybe as low as 16 last night. We've had day time temps just in the 30's for
over a week now. Hoping for a warm up soon.

Mutant from July 2012

Thumbnail by patootie
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

hi guys, here is the mgs bloming downstairs this am.. oh and my bougie blooms are huge
i use cinnmon on everything as a gnat deterrant..
started dusting seeds from back yard with flea powder and cinnamon a year ago
love that begonia, jackie, save me a piece?
i stuck the broken stem in some potting mix
rooting in water only works for me if long enough to stick in bubbler tub

still cold and gray here, they say snow is on the way, i will believe it when i see it.
buddah belly from seed is about to bloom..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Deb, yes I'll root you a piece of Maurice Amey Begonia..
Stunning color on your MG.
Whats a buddah belly?

happy new year!! buddah belly forms a fat bottom, big leaves and a bloom spike.. can't remember the botanical name, grew it from a seed someone sent me on dg
still snowing here, heater is drying stuff out, time to re-arrange stuff.

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad we're not getting any more snow right now. Cold temps here and we're just sick of it. Send a pic Debra when your buddah belly opens it's blooms please.

Happy New Year

Looks like I will be able to save all my baby mg's (carried back to the house) except the lovely China Doll, just the one I wanted the most. I won';t risk anymore of those sds until the spring. On a good note, an Aogakiyama x Choc Silk sd just sprouted, been in the dirt for over 2 months.

Gautier, MS

Happy New Year!!!

It's a beautiful warm day here in MS, feels like spring!

Looks what still blooming, though half of the hamelia patens was affected by previous frosts still other plants are going strong. I hope I get chickadees or wrens use this birdhouse!

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Lovely blooms Helena and one of the prettiest bird houses I've ever seen.
Glad your temps have warmed.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. I'm glad you were able to save your baby mg's inside. I have a few inside too that are doing good too. I'll wait as long as possible before taking them to the gh.

love your birdhouse, Helena. Gee it sure looks warm there, I may have to consider Mississipi a place to move to LOL
Had a small blue and white this am, but no time for a good pic. All kinds of seed pods ready to gather, hope to get them before they break all over the tile down there.
I love Milkweeds. Do you have mellow yellow?
Jackie, you guys need a small cart on wheels for moving your babies, eh?
*shiver* still cold as heck here..

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Morning everyone, somehow I keep missing the links for new rooms!
Love all the blooms!
Debra, your budda belly plant may be a desert rose or a ponytail palm?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/173883/ desert rose

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/17265/ ponytail palm

Hi LindaKay, I have desert rose and pony tail palm, I started buddah belly from a seed. It is finally blooming, will post pics tonight.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Debra, yes I have the yellow milkweed. The last 2 days it has been raining here and turned cold so back to winter temps.

Do have my irus almost frozen but with open bloom, my kind of tough plant. A mg pic taken yesterday on it's 2nd day open.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Debra, wonder if I should pre chill the hardy milk weed sds? One is tropical so won't chill that one.
Can't wait to try the cone flower sds that you gathered from plants by the roadside, echinacea or whichever. Those probably need
a pre chill too. I am just waiting a while to start a few shrimp sds.

Love your pretty Iris Helena and cute MG too.
It is near 50 here and feels great for a change. :-)

I wish I had re blooming iris here.. You are a lucky woman, Helena. I saw three mgs blooming this am downstairs, but did nt get any pics. All the CC's are a blooming away, so are the hibiscus. Nuns orchids are all budding can't wait!

sister must be feeling good, she repaired the dog's fence yesterday and they didn't give her chemo so she can take a "break" and get her blood level up so she can avoid another transfusion. Sad, tho, she called me up all crying cuz two of her chemo buddies died over the holidays from their cancers, and made her realize her mortality.

took some pics of the pony tail palm, desert rose and the buddah belly, will upload thos tommorrow. Have to work tommorrow and am whipped from working out in the cold all week as it is.
I have all my seeds in the trunk of my car to be stratified, Jackie. Pretty sure that is what they need.

here is a pic of the native milkweeds.. got them all ... even the orange one, too many pictures to sort thru. I want the yellow LOL ...

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra, glad your sis is feeling somewhat better. Heartbreaking that she's lost a couple of her chemo
buddies.
Great pics of your milkweed plants. Some company had the yellow and the pink milkweeds in their catalog
a few yrs ago. I wish I
could remember which company

Morning JaCKIE..i do have the cinderella white and the pink swamp milkweed, i got those on ebay a longgg time ago, they come back every year.
I sure hope we all have a glorious day!
off to work now. bleah.

Beautiful pictures Debra! Glad to hear your Sister had a good day!

Gautier, MS

Pretty blooms Debra, glad too your sis is feeling a little better.

This bloom is reacting to the cold not wanting to open. Raining now, at least the plants will be watered.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Are your plants inside? Love that color!

It's a very pretty color Helena.

Choc Silk out of my Sunrise Mixed from Aug

Pretty Blue Saz with a little blizzard going on also in Aug

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

morning...afternoon.. love the color on the cold mg, Helena.
I see the hugeness of that choc silk, it is awsome Jackie. Blue saz is so interesting.time to untangle the old declining vines downstairs and reposition the new vining ones. can't wait to see the colors on those. good thing is, At least I can correctly mark the ones I am taking down ( the pods) .
What a short weekend when I have to work. Sister posted on FB that she is feeling realy good and is hopeful. I am going to be going down there for a few days when she has test results from this round of chemo. should be around last week of january or first week of feb. Spring is so close I can feel it in my bones. I still havn't rested up from last summer yet LOL

Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies. Linda that bloom is inside my gh, but it still gets pretty cold in there.

Love your pretty blooms from the summer Jackie. Pretty colors.

Really glad your sis feels good Debra. Glad that you'll be able to spend some special time with her later on.

I'd like for spring to get here quick too. My oldest daughter bought me 2 bare root roses yesterday.

Thanks Debra and Helena,
Debra, the most wonderful thing your sis has said since all this started, that she really feels good.
Thank you Jesus.
Spring can't get here soon enough for me either Debra,. The older I get, the more I resent winter.

Helena, you can plant your dormant Roses anytime right?

Gautier, MS

Jackie, I think I can plant them now maybe in pots to be sure. We have not had our worst frost yet for this winter. The roses have those buds sprouting.

Helena does sound like the safe thing to do. You could always plant them in the ground after it warms
up in the Spring.

Ochracea opened up a new flower today. .

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Oh that's so pretty!

Love that yellow bloom! I don't see too many yellow blooms on the morning glories!

Thanks Ronnie and Linda.
There are very few yellow flowered MG's Linda.
This is one of my favorites.
The bloom size will increase as I pot the vine up. Still in a tiny pot.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, really pretty yellow ochracea. I have my vine in gh too, I might get blooms later on.

Jackie that is glorious... I can't wait to see bloom.. they say patience is a virtue.. I think that is a virtue I am growing tired of...

off to work.. bleah

Thanks Helena and Debra. Mine is pot bound which might be encouraging blooms. However if I
leave it in the tiny pot too long, it will start to go downhill, the bugs are already after it. I'll be
potting it up soon to a 1 gallon.
You might feed it a little blooming fertilizer like 15-30-15 to encourage blooms and see if that helps.

This message was edited Jan 8, 2013 4:56 PM

Gautier, MS

It's an overcast day and only mg bloom in gh this morning. It's a little breezy outside kind of warm.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Beautiful color on that MG Helena.
Very warm here too before the bottom falls out again this weekend. Very cold temps coming back
by then so I;m just going to try and enjoy the warm day, I've already repotted a plant or two.

Fuji no Beni in Aug. I gathered 1 maybe 2 sds total from this vine, even with hand pollination.

Thumbnail by patootie
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Pretty ladies!

I agree, they are beautiful! Had another of the large purple star ray blooming upin the basement window, but it is so far away I couldn't get a shot of it. I did get a shot of these things tho.
buddah belly
pony tail palm
desert rose and friends
fish tub and nuns orchids to the left spiking..
pink purp in Charlies room
we got a half inch of rain and now we are looking at water restrictions for our area..
i use the pond water to water with while refilling with new water, i use laundry water to jug up and haul out side, and today at work I caught about 5 gallons of rain water from the down spouts. going to be 65 tommorrow, Joe is staying home and is going to BBQ a lot of stuff while I am at work, we won't need to cook all next week. supposed to be back down in the low 30's Saturday.

Thanks Ronnie and Deb.
Deb, your buddah belly is a succulent or a cactus? I see the nubbies on the stem like thorns.
Unusual bloom on it,.
Pretty light pink Purp and I can see the spikes on your nuns orchid, please send more pics when it blooms. The nuns orchids are beautiful

This message was edited Jan 11, 2013 1:08 PM

mornin, Jackie, Buddah belly is a clerodendrum of some sort, I THINK> those lil starry loking things are soft, it had a lot of leaves, but they fell off. :P~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.