December 2012- Where's the snow???

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We also scrap metal. Good way to make some extra metal.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

You see that in rural areas where people recycle metal for the neighbors and everybody around there as a sort of home business or maybe some extra money.
I imagine they don't give their customers the full amount that the metal recyclers pay so they can make it worth their time and effort to do it, (and gas). It's not a bad idea, I'd probably do it too if
I was in a rural area, and had a truck and probably a good sized trailer.

Has anyone ever tried to propagate a Weeping Fig? I got a variegated Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina 'varigata') and when it gets a little bigger I thought I'd try that. It's a nice plant and I want to make more of them. Here is mine, it's still got the tin-foil and landscaping staples in it to discourage cats from getting in it is the idea. -

Where is that former Missourian Florida lady, KayJones?
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

33°/48°/26°
Plentiful sunshine. High 48F. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph.

Will,
I'm sure it's a very old tree :o)
Charlie is my husbands name, LOL!

Ju,
It could be a hickory. There used to be a lot around these parts, but many got flooded out years ago. Mom used to crack them and we would help pick them up when we were kids.
Smile, that cute girl sure is getting old :o)

Will, Similar bark. We're going to check it next spring, when it gets leaves.

Ju,
Love the cat and we found a Christmas tree yesterday. It's all set up. Now we need to put lights on it. I think I'll go ahead and put on the ornaments I don't want the boys to do. We get them tomorrow.
Vivitar camera? That was my first real camera when I was 18. It lasted many many many years and was a good one.
The pictures are blurry, but we cvan still appreciate them :o)

Will,
Love the firebowl!

Ju,
ROTFLLL over the next post and love the wastebaskets!!

Pepper,
I wonder if we have the same copper top wren house? Mine hangs high in the tree so only I know it's there. I love shiny copper!

Will,
That is a beautiful dew drop picture!!

My Dad scraps too, and takes those appliances apart to get the copper wiring. That ands aluminum pays pretty good. Scrap prices go up and down. Right now they're up.

Have a sunny day everyone! We finally get one!

Mine looks homemade and is shaped like a gazebo if I remember right. Painted white.

Steel is really good too. We get alot of that from vehicles we buy for parts.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We need Christmas Trees, go here;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1290910/

That tree looks old in your photo up there, billyp. Really, it could be a Hickory, I am only guessing it's a Mulberry, it could even be a Silver Maple too! I don't think I've ever been right about guessing what a tree or something is! lol
I had a friend growing up named Charlie, some people called him Chuck but I called him Charlie. Poor Charlies, they get all the "sorry, Charlie and Charlie Brown" jokes.
I took my friend to work this morning, she said her knee hurt today.
Thanks Sally, I always liked that raindrop photo, I hope it's not photoshopped but who knows, it probably is, a bunch of stuff is. I saw a photoshopped Gucci ad the other day where the model lady had a third leg coming out of her Gucci bag.
Been unusually warm and sunny here. Since Walmart people have been relieving me of my sunglasses, I've been wearing these leftover senior citizen sunglasses, you know the ones for "sensitive eyes" or whatever. Anyway, they are like welding glasses during the daytime, even if the sun is out full blast like lately I'm not even squinting with these on. I wait until I get a couple blocks from home before I put them on, I don't really want neighbors or anybody to see me wearing them! I can't see the speedometer or the gauges with them on, but I never speed or anything anyway. It's been a high of around 60° the last 2 days, I can even water my big SpiderPlant outside when it can drain water all over the porch then I bring it right back in.
Hey, I'm about to put a one hundred plus year old book on Ebay for sale, anybody want to place a bid? I'm only listing it for two thousand dollars or so! Maybe a wealthy doctor will buy it!
It's similar to this one. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Principles-and-Practice-of-Medicine-Osler-William-MD-/330843266848?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item4d07cb9f20
Nice tree and presents there Bernie! Is that snow out the window?!
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

We also have a live blue spruce here;

Hey!! Dancing Snoopy dogs !!!lol Think of the Charlie Brown theme music.

I'd string up some of those outdoor lights on that thing if you haven't already, let's see a photo of it, juhur!
The terrible heat this Summer gave my Blue Spruce 'Globosa' the blues I'm pretty sure. It's too small and odd shaped to hang lights on anyway.
Kinda like me! I'm small and odd shaped but I'm still alive! lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cold, windy, rainy, here today.. This is from the property line I doubt the neighbors are thrilled with me picturing their property. the spruce is ours though
No lights not since three years ago. Couldn't do self pics yet, and as all have gotten older around here a nobody likes the camera pics anymore. Bigger than it looks, the only plant that really grew this year about five or six feet this grew this year. It gets thinner at the top and is half as tall as the roof once you are up there, only I am not going up on the roof to pic the top of it.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Nice Colorado Blue Spruce there, juhur. Your not going up on the roof for a pic?! All you need is a ladder! I don't like going on the roof either. It's not really a fear of heights, it's more a fear of falling! I can trip over cracks!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes and those little rough shingle crystals from fiberglass ,pipes, bumps. and of course the sudden excitement of falling , then all those crazy bounces to the quick stops.
This is a happy remembrance time of year ,so i will do without that as a memory!!lol
That poor little spruce when I came here was one of those little seedling or gift starts given to grandma (all of what?6 or 8 inches tall) Then at about three feet it was broken by the kids swinging around it. Then it double crowned and had to be trimmed.(run over by an automobile lawn job)
Thank you for enjoying it , it has had the times!!
Agreeing that it looks good is a great pleasure after all that ,three or four years ago I decorated it and prayed over it for holiday season, will again when times are better...

I need to take a pic of our tree but either keep forgetting or am too busy running around. lol. I will try tomorrow.

Glad to hear your Colorado Blue Spruce is still around after all that, juhur!

How about a little Living Christmas Tree from years ago!? I got a pic of an embattled SpiderPlant too! I'm afraid I can't keep it away from a certain cat that has fancied it a cat toy! It's okay tho, I don't scold the cat or even try to stop it from swinging at it or anything, it's having a good time I guess! The SpiderPlant will regrow what it lost and then some I'm sure! I had to get a photo of the most recent carnage! Here is the same photo in a link to my Comcast web-space, it is actual sized there, it shows how much they are resized at DG. I'm not complaining, if the originals were uploaded here it would take up a ton more space and likely would mean more money, not to mention they'd take forever to load for some with slower connections.
Here's the Comcast link. - http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/centralmidwestdavesgarden/100_8057.JPG

Here is that Living Christmas Tree, it was getting potted up, it was small and quite potbound! -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I see the spider has learned how to walk... That little electrocution processor sitting on the table would't have anything to do with that would it? zap -crackle goes the static in the air!!!lol

Couple of seedling pics ONE is a hybrid with a good family tree roots!!LOL

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Nice seedlings there. Are those jars turned upside down for seedlings?

Actually, I take that device to shopping malls at Christmas times and when I'm in a crowded spot with people I start shocking people, they never know who zapped them but it makes their hair stand up, it's funny, and they don't want to buy what I'm after too!
Really, I think that's the base to that black thing that holds remotes and pens and stuff.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Zap,Ziz, scream!!!ROFL!!!!!

Water bottles and bags ?

Yep, that'll learn them to go after the same dollie that I'm buying my nephew for Christmas!! That was just a lame joke! My nephew is on the football team for Texas Tech, I'm sure he could stomp me if he wanted!!

Ok, where'd everybody go again? I bet there is some orchid blooms out there! Anybody have one they can share? This time last year we had an awesome pink one that lasted for months!
That was it by the lamp last year. -

Does anybody else hear a faint squeaking-door-opening sound when maybe they are logged onto Davesgarden? This is the first time I've only had DG logged onto and Yahoo (not logged in it right now for my email). I didn't really know which site it was because I usually have so much stuff open but now I think it might be DG.
Will

This message was edited Dec 16, 2012 9:54 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cute picture makes ya feel "homie" like .. I saw some orchids last night someplace ,... I have the sound turned down on my system only I bet it is your computer doing that as part of the web browsing sound effects,, There all doing things similar these days...
It might be here though because a barn door with a moo use to happen on my Dell with the up to date drivers...

Spiders and Jews for Christmas with coronation Roses or Carnations between ,, "Light" matter of facts

I tell you, that sound is driving me nuts! I hafta find out what it is!
Boy, the SpiderPlant in that photo right above has really grown alot since, that's it now that the cat eats on, you can see it a few posts up in the brown basket!
You want me to mail you a couple of striped Wandering Jew cuttings, juhur? It'll be my Christmas present to you!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am always up for a new plant ,when you asked that before I was hesitant ,only I will find room for it. What would you like in return?There is not a lot around here right at the moment..Maybe a couple of little hybrid daylilies sometime in the spring , I have you in my notes for several plants when they get growing well enough

The sound doing that ;;about all you can do is turn your volume down when you open back up when close.

I was reading where High Country Gardens went out of business , xeriscaping and mountain or alpine plant company it was ,, that is a shame...

Ok, it's a deal, I'll send you some of those striped Wandering Jew cuttings! I don't think it's quite too cold yet, we'll see. In the case it's too cold, I can wait until it's forecast to stay warm enuff for a few days, they are cold hardy to 20° or so. - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/596/ Sure, in the Spring I'd love to have those, only if you can spare them, my big Wandering Jew that I'll get these cuttings from grows like a house a fire! I've got a pretty recent photo of it from when I sent cuttings from it to a friend in North Carolina. -
The sound is coming from inside inside the computer, it isn't coming from my actual computer speakers. I can't turn them down or off because I listen to Christmas music and regular music from the internet. I'll just live with the sounds if I must, there is worse things I'm sure! lol

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It might be better to wait ,the thing is when it gets cold here again in a few days it might be a couple months before it warms back up again. .All things in good time ;;; So far it looks like lots of those flowers (Daylily) and I won't know for sure what they will look like when they bloom though.
I imagine your friend in Carolina was delighted with that plant, I remember seeing them in every color, green ,red, even a yellow stripe variety They were really popular back a time ago.. Still a nice plant.
I found what seems to be a really useful plant formula when I am sure of it, I will probably be talking more about it ,nothing on earth like a good recipe..Especially those you have invented or found out for yourself!!! F...U....N... See ya later..snooze time lol

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hi all, I am not even going to try to catch up with all I have missed. Hope everyone is having a great holiday or getting ready.

There warm days in my solar room are causing me to need to water several times a week. Sadly I have not been doing that so things are looking a little poorly....

No orchid blooms here, have a few orchids but not blooms, have some Christmas cactus blooming.

I was sick for 2 weeks with the flu, it was all I could do to go to work come home and go to bed (couldn't stay home because I was subbing for someone else who was on vacation)....still not quite over it, a million times better but not quite normal for me. DH was so sweet he went out a bought a real Christmas tree this year, one of the soft pine needled one. Finally go lights on it last night, had to go buy some because my other lights are all wrapped around the phony tree...rofl.

Way behind in Christmas stuff since I was sick.

I had a beautiful blue spruce but last year was so tough on it, I am not sure it will pull thru, lost some needles and just doesn't look well. I started watering it during the summer, but still doesn't look well.

Juhur what a pretty kitty cat, I have 3 now, mine all black, my sisters cat, and now my Moms cat that is a 1000 years old I think...rofl. The garden room has turned into the cat house...rofl.

I'm still here, just getting busy again. lol. Christmas shopping, working, catching up with friends and still Christmas shopping. lol. Gotta get gift card for my dad and some food for my oreo desert that I am making as a gift for a friend and for our Christmas party at work on Christmas eve. Trying to avoid walls too. lol

Well, look who it is! Welcome back happ, glad to hear your feeling better. The flu stinks, I hope I can avoid it. You got your lights all situated now eh? A 1,000 year old cat?! Now that's an OLD cat! There's those little chinese food looking containers all over the house full of past cat cremains. My friend just loves her cats! I don't dare hassle one of her cats or she'll throw me right out! There's not 70 or 80 cats here or some number all nuts like that, there is only a few here, well, 1 more right now, she took one in for the Winter, it's in the basement, it's a nice cat, we call him Bob, they were all strays from outside. But, then one of them does his business on the floor, we agree to let him out in the Spring when it's warm, he wants back out anyway, he's always trying to get out. I have nothing against male cats, I'm a male..lol but male cats have this nasty habit where they spray their urine all over anything! It's gets tough to watch a cat spray urine all over the drapes, the furniture, anything that's about a foot or less from the ground, they just have to mark their territory or something.

Those Daylilies sound nice, juhur, a plant formula eh?!
Yeah, that friend in North Carolina says he just loves anything that's purple! I've sent him six cuttings of striped Wondering Jew, 2 of regular Wondering Jew, 2 cuttings of Philodendron 'Micans', (which is reddish), maybe purple is his favorite color, he's a nice guy. The great thing also about Jews is they propagate so easily from even the leaves, you can do leaf cuttings also of Wondering Jew, I just tear off leaves and stick them in other pots where I want them.

Yeah, going shopping can be hazardous this time of year, especially at Walmart. The other day the police had this guy in handcuffs outside a Walmart, then when I left, the convoy of police cars was next to me at the stoplight and I could hear the criminal guy just letting them have some innocence! lol I might not have any money either but I don't think I'm going to steal gifts! I've already told people, "sorry, not getting anything". Trying to push a cart thru Walmart is an experience now!
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi ya Hap Camo the cat showed up about early 2003 ,been here ever since.. He likes to sneak up behind me and do the happy feet dance on the back of my shoulders,, I would rather he dig in the plants..lol
I am sure all and every are behind about Christmas, zoom here, zoom there,, I don't think so myself...

Fun with the plants ,what is your favorite color ,, Maybe about the plant formula , only it does seem to be working so far.. I am thrilled with that, something useful..

All I ca further say to all is ;; Yeah! Holiday Shopping!!!? *#**#**&*#**@!+=+**

Ya'll ready for winter again? Rain, snow and wind all coming in starting tomorrow night. Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! LOLOL!!!!

Happ, hope you are ready because you will probably get a few more inches than those of us down here.

Haha! Your kidding, right, pepper?! What forecast are you watching?! I think your joking! Maybe things will change, I like white Christmases myself! Here's one Kansas City channel's forecast -
http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

My favorite color? I think black is a good color! It even suits me pretty good! I am a rather dark sort! Haha! Holiday shopping?! Holiday window shopping is fun too!

Eeeeek!! Ok, nevermind, sorry pepper, they have changed the forecast for tomorrow, it now says a high of only 29° and a one hundred percent chance of something, I'm guessing snow! lol
- http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

LOL. :~p. All the forcasts were the same on this one. Rain then snow with plenty of wind. Today we reached lower 40s but when out in the wind it felt like mid 20s. Very bitter. Now it really will be bitter tomorrow!!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

We got lots of rain and lightening last night, that then turned to little ice pellets, when I left for work at about 4am it wasn't bad, in less than 30 minutes we were in a middle of a white out. Having lived in Colorado I remember those days all to well. Took 2 hours to get to work. At one point up by Smithville, some guy was driving on the wrong side of a 2 line hilly road! If he would of looked to the edge of the road he would of seen the grass was on the WRONG side. When I went past him he figured it out and got over before he killed himself and/or someone else. Up north was surely blizzard conditions, if I would of waited until 4:30 I would of not come in, but I am here now.

I love Christmas shopping and just have a couple of things to pick up and I will be done. Most decorations are up and most things are wrapped. I found a great iphone app to keep track and I can take pictures of what the items are. I have been doing that with my digital camera for years but this is better cause it shows everything I have gotten them or thought about gotten them and where and how much (I don't fill that part out...rofl) rather it is an idea, purchased, wrapped, shipped. Pretty nice. Only thing I don't like is I have to delete everyone when I get ready to do next year which I don't like cause I like to know year to year what I got so I don't buy the same type of thing or whatever.

Can;t remember who wanted snow but they can have my share...rofl.

It rained and thundered here last nite too. I shoveled and swept my friend's car before she went to work about an hour ago. I like snow fine except doing that part! Since I'm unemployed, I don't dare lay up in bed whilst my friend walk thru the snow to her snow covered car!
Wow, driving on the wrong side of the street, how dangerous for everybody.
I put down ice melt last nite about 10:30 then it had to rain like crazy later, that just washes it all away!
I create folders for all my different photos, like yesterday I posted 3 items for sell on Craigslist and one on Ebay the other day. Ebay fees stink, I haven't even sold it and I noticed they took a dollar out of my bank account. I took a bunch of photos for the stuff and have it all separated, it's just easier when posting and uploading the photos to the sites where they hopefully sell.
Anybody want any of this stuff? Let me know if I sound like a jerkoff in the ads or anything, I'd like to sell the stuff!
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/hab/3489925448.html
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pho/3487722273.html
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pho/3487603963.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Principles-and-Practice-of-Medicine-Osler-William-MD-/300835639012?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item460b338ee4
Will

This message was edited Dec 20, 2012 7:38 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My a 330 pd health meter?!! You didn't look that big in your pic!!!!!? hope it sells... Christmas green!!

By the way ,what time does the planet end tomorrow ?
My spirit just can't find anything to wear.
(looking through the prayer books , see if there is anything in there)

Well a little humor...LOL

Hahe! Yeah, I weigh quite a lot less than that! When I bought it I thought I was just buying a high priced 300 lb. one, then I saw it was a 330 lb. one! At the time I didn't know there was a difference in weight capacities.

I would guess tonite at midnite for the Mayan calendar. I'd like to at least have breakfast! I don't wanna go in my sleep! I don't want to make light of it, the Mayans really believe that, so I'll just let it come and go like all the other doomsayers!

Hope you find something to wear!

Here is some snowy photos for today, outside the window! - The snow plow got right on that 2 inches or so!
Pepper, seriously, you oughta consider meteorology, you were right on, North Mo. got about double or more snow like you said. Wisconsin got ten inches of snow somewhere they said.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

LOL. I just watch the news and pay attention to how satalite looks on there. They tend to hype it up too much.

For anyone who doesn't know this already here is a little tip for preparing for snow and ice. Save your walmart bags and before it rains or snows put a bag on each outside mirror. That will keep the rain and snow from freezing on there so you can see when you go to work. Next get a tarp, put it on windshiled and go over the wipers. Tuck the tarp inside the doors to hold it down. Or you can use those stretchy hooks like you put around trash cans. It will save you alot of time in the mornings gettin ready to leave. We have been doing that for several years now and it has saved our butts many everytime.

My sister in Des Moines is currently without power. They lost power early this afternoon and it still hasn't come back on. They are headed over to her brother in law's place since he apparently has power so they can stay warm.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

About the same? Happy Winter solstice ....lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Thanks pepper, I wish I had thought to do that before the snow, ice and freezing rain the other day, the car was an absolute mess. I do keep one of those cheap dollar store brooms out there just for cleaning a car off but I should do that prevention, but I LIKE taking credit for cleaning the car, then I'm like a hero! I also detail it and clean the wheels! Eeek, no power, that does indeed stink, I hate flipping light switches out of habit and nothing!

Yeah juhur, pretty much the same as yesterday, the 21st seems to be going pretty normally for me so far. Winter Solstice.. yay! The days start becoming longer again! It won't be long and it will be Spring!
Windows and Siding by White Oak, it's named after a cool tree! This is a cool Bur Oak in IN., the Kile Oak. Hey, it's in the White Oak family, but I don't know of a famous White Oak in IN. like this Bur Oak. - http://www.irvingtonhistorical.org/a_articles/a_kile_oak/a_kile_oak.html

This message was edited Dec 21, 2012 12:59 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I like that tree ,nice one!! There were lots of those I remember when I was young . No so many anymore ..

Grandma had windows installed ,work good and look nice , still have a few to go. always more as green allows...

Yes always looking forward to spring!!! always!!! Lot of cold from now until then , Like 12 to 14 degrees tonight!

A few days ago ,, looks a little different now..

Thumbnail by juhur7

Spruce looks good! Are you still taking photos outside with your laptop?!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Ten Dollar Vivatar camera ,,, lol The Dell camera and computer are long gone,, history,, This Acer has no cam installed .
Some of the photo pics are almost in focus lol,, new for me with a cam....

Yep the dollar store special ..

I had this on another thread only ; the Jello chocolate pudding sacrifice must have worked ,, we are all still here !!!! lol

Thumbnail by juhur7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.