November in your neck of the woods .. come chat :-)

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Sounds as if you have had a very 'SHOPFULL' weekend Betty. I'd be with you though re going home earlier .. enjoy breakfast ^_^

I am UP here, and, will remain so .. I SO want to go to the Remembrance Day ceremony in the city, but, I do think that that would be pushing it .. I'll watch it on the tellie.

Damp and dreary day .. snow did not amount to much .. rained (profusely) during the night .. with some thunder.

Hope everyone has a good day ..

Lest we forget !

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Was VERY impressed with the CBCs coverage of the Remembrance Day Ceremonies in Ottawa.
Shed a tear or three for sure when I watched the interview with the Silver Cross Mother.

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

We had a very moving service at the Church. Girl Guides did the Opening, and Closing, with the flags. One of our congregation did a reading from a book by a Canadian author who was 7 yo at the time of WWII, and her remembrances. It shows how children are affected.... she remembers an aunt housing children from Britain who had to come to Canada, and missed their parents who stayed behind...... Everyone is affected by war.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just got home, walked in, filled the tub, set the memory pad on the bed and guess who will be laying on it shortly?

Sorry that with all the road running I didnt get Remembrance Day telecasts, perhaps on evening news, just hope I can stay awake for it.

Sure hope "M" that you were able to be up for a few painless hours..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I rather like this - I got it in email today.....

Christmas 2012 --Birth of a New Tradition

As the holidays approach, the giant foreign factories are kicking into high gear to provide Canadians with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods --merchandise that has been produced at the expense of Canadian labour.
This year will be different.
This year Canadians will give the gift of genuine concern for other Canadians. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by Canadians hands.
Yes there is!

It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in foreign produced wrapping paper?

Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local Canadian hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, Canadian owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down the dollars on a foreign made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway ploughed all winter, or games at the local golf course.

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Canadian with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the Canadian working person?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for Mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day or a treatment at the local spa.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewellery, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your home town theatre.

Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand foreign made lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of lights, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mail man, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining Canadian pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about us, encouraging Canadian small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Canadians, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine.

Forward this to everyone on your mailing list -- post it to discussion groups -- throw up a post on Craigslist in the Rants and Raves section in your city -- send it to the editor of your local paper and radio stations, and TV news departments. This is a revolution of caring about each other, and isn't that what Christmas is about?

BUY CANADIAN - BE CANADIAN

Victoria Harbour, ON

Excellent Susan..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yeah, 'tis!

I'm learning how to use the Health Walker that our neighbour gave me - kewl as dirt (from one gardener to a whole bunch of others!!)

I do try to buy local stuff,or, Canadian made. Can sure be a challenge.

How did the memory foam work Betty? My friend, Joanne loves hers.

Susan, is the health walker like a treadmill?

Not a good day discomfort wise.. Getting used to it.

M

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

It has pedals that I put my feet on and swing forward & back, with handles that move with the pedals, sorta like snowshoeing with poles - same type of movement.

Victoria Harbour, ON

sorry "M" that today isn't a good day for you..think weather isn't helping..know my headaches this week is part and parcel due to it!

Susan, do you need this piece of equipment ?? Or are you preparing for the future? Lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh my....... do I need it? YES! I was exercising today, and boy did I realize I was out of shape!! Good thing it was free-to-me, eh?

"Free to you" is always a bonus Susan .. hope you enjoy the exercise ..

Gorgeous sunny/cool (cold) day here .. I actually was able to walk from the house to the garage and back .. about knackered me .. but, it was my goal .. that and my shower ..
Am doing some fairly low impact exercises for osteoarthritic hips .. I watched this woman doing Yoga on You Tube and thought what the heck .. anything to help me get some mov't back on the right side ..

Don't know why I am so interested in the 'Petraeus affiar' in the US. Guess I just can't understand how he could sully such a stellar career by not keeping his pants zipped !!

Hope everyone is doing well

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Petraeus affair? I hadn't heard about it...... maybe I don't want to? LOL Oh wait........ yes I heard something on the radio this am - talk show hosts mentioned it. Boy, it really must have been something, to cross over to our border........!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" if it's cool but sunny you must have sent the overcast sky and snow..
low impact should be all you are doing..let's hope it's not more than you should be doing. Terrible how much pain you've been in..

Had to stop into dealership this a.m., thank goodness I was early, icon came on the car, I stopped and looked at the manual, thought it meant 'brakes' but attendant said it was air pressure..filled the tires, I asked why on earth would my tires need air, all 4..said the cold deflates..guess he was right because the minute he put air, no danger icon

Arggggggggggggg .. those 'icons', or, as my brother calls them "money lights".
My Toyota Corolla seemed to have the same anomaly as yours Betty. About every 2 weeks to a month the little light would come on to fill the tires, just ONE tire .. front passenger .. finally, after 3 trips to the dealership, I had them take the tire OFF and check it. Sure enough, I had picked up a nail.
This Rav I drive now has 'nitrogen' in the tires as opposed to plain old air .. don't ask me why that's supposed to be so special, but, it supposedly 'just is' :-)

Up more than down the last few days, hope to keep that up, but, must also factor in the 'pain' variable ..

Gord has just taken the dogs to be groomed, first time ever WITHOUT me along, feel so bad about that .. sure hope they are GOOD in the vehicle !

Have a great Wednesday

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Nitrogen??? hmm never heard of that one.

Yes, everytime one of those icons come on you have to hold your wallet tightly to your body, money grabs for sure..not so bad when you have warrantee but lordy I go through the miles so quickly that usually its a payout.

That's positive news "M" your being able to cope a little better with the pain.I'm still aching/paining like crazy in the shoulders, too stubborn to go back to the doctors..perhaps once the Christmas season is behind me.

drats, mom called this morning, she has been in bed with flu since my MIL's funeral..anyway, started to talk about how she'd see if Jim would take her to Buffalo, really??? just took her what 3 weeks ago??? she was going on and on and on, know she was waiting for me to say I would.

Finally I said only weekend I could is Dec.1st and would drive there on Friday night and back Saturday night, need some Sunday's to get things done...and ONLY if no storm is in the offing.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Your mom is obviously loving the trips - gives her an outing with her daughter. I also know it's hard on you Betty..............
Is she over the flu bug?

Victoria Harbour, ON

She wasn't feeling the best but is much better than she's been all week. I think its the knowledge with her illness that she just can't go and spend the winter in Florida as she used to

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yeah, my Mom used to spend a month with her niece, in FL every winter. But that was over 20 years ago.........

Sunny and 6C today.
Gordon left at 8am, should arrive in Wisconsin by 3pm.

My parents wintered in Florida for about 15 years. I visited often but never really liked the heat and humidity.

Trying to remain positive and out of bed today. We'll see

M

Victoria Harbour, ON

Working from home today and tomorrow

Just having a break and lunch, Lordy when you are up at 5:00 it seems like lunch, tummy thought so as well!

"M" here's hoping his hunting brings mega meat for the freezer..never a wild game meat person, likely all in the mind..think it started when we had stew and dad ended up saying it was rabbit. Yuk..

Weather much the same, if it weren't for the phone I'd be out raking but need to be inside..how come nice weather is always when you have to be inside.

Vacuumed, dusted top floor, brought in a few totes filled with christmas decorations..from time to time I will unpack one that way decorating won't seem as overwhelming.

Got Suzanne's rag quilt done, uhhh she sure picked wild colors, now quilting the 12 placematts I did yesterday..liking them..if I didn't have some from a DG Christmas swap I would make myself a set.

Well, just finished salmon sandwich, kitties are smelling my lunch and want me to share. Lol

If I don't get up right now guess who will do noting all day

Hope "M" you have a good day

Busy days for you Betty.

Re venison, have multiple ways to cook it so it tastes okay. The ground meat is pretty versatile to use.

Still suffering from the side effects of the medication I am on. Not about to give up on it after having put in 3 weeks.

Hope you all have a great weekend

M

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hey all
Have some nice sunny days for a little bit.
M, is the medication helping at all? My Husbands family is into the wild meat thing and throughly enjoy a feed
Betty you make me tired just thinking of all the things you are getting up to.
Susan enjoy the exercise!

We have adopted a small family here at work for the Christmas season. Allways makes me feel better about the abundance in my life when there is a difference made to someone elses.

Had some sobering news from my sisters good friend who is battleing terminal Cancer, her fifteen year old daughter has just been diagnosed with two brain tumors that will be surgicaly removed(hopefully) in the next few days. I just don't know what to do with this information..... sending my sister loving texts reminding her that Shannon is a warrior, and hugging my family a bit tighter. Counting my blessings X2.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Bless you, Ann, for keeping Shannon in loving texts, to your sister.

AbAnn my thoughts are with your sister's friend and daughter. What devastating news.

I did finally have to get off the medication I was on. Stopped it yesterday and am battling a low grade headache and upset stomach no fun at all!!

Enjoy your day

M

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - get some rest (hopefully you can, with this headache.....). Mild soup should help your upset tummy....

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks "M" she is an amazing woman and although it's a big hit she takes a positive attitude and marches on she is such a wonderful role model both for her friends and children.
Medication can be a blessing and a curse. Not nice to feel so miserable either with pain or side effects. Hope it eases soon can you at least nap through some of it?

It's overcast today and we had a small flurry that made another mess of the roads. We are to get more snow on Tuesday I think.

Trying to get ready for a visit to Calgary to have a family meeting to see how we can help Mom with Dad. He is becoming so frail that we don't want to her to become a mess because of spending a ton of energy looking after him. She needs some help so that she can look after herself too. Will be getting together with a friend who is an OT to get some ideas. The fact that they are on an acreage adds a complication but I have smart sisters and with our support Mom will be fine. Did some baking so I can take it down, Dad does like his sweets even if he can't remember what they are called, LOL.
Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

what a rough road your friend is travelling ann, you have to wonder how people can be so courageous..will add her and her family to my prayers.

Ann, your dad will be smiling seeing the sweets you are bringing him. So difficult for your mom, a lot of time the caregivers need help more than the individual they care for..great you are having a family meeting and the solution left for one or two to make..

"M", likely you having withdrawals..did you check with your doctor to see if you should get off the meds?

Long day yesterday, 4 stops, crat shows, fabric store and Ganz warehouse..disappointed with all! 12 hours shopping, too much..feeling my age

Tired today, did put up my Christmas tree, few more decorations out, cooked turkey dinner for 10 ?? What's with that, knew only me for supper lol..had a friend drop in, tried to talk her into staying to eat but she had supper cooking as well..

Need to put some empty totes away in back shed, best I do it before it gets too dark then hot bath, feet up and watch a few tv shows then off to bed, another long week!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Sorry to hear about all the stuff needed for your Mom, Ann - of Course she needs to take care of herself, and looking after your dad is hard on her......

Betty - you thought we were coming for dinner, didn't you?!?! LOL Now you have loads of leftovers!!

Reading through all the posts ... one thing I can say is, 'life evolves, and we revolve with it'.

AbAnn I wish you all the best with your folks, you're lucky to have a family that 'shares and cares'.

Betty .. TWELVE hours of shopping would have finished me .. in fact, ONE hour would finish me right now .. as for the turkey dinner .. like Susan says , LEFTOVERS :-)

I am actually sitting up at my computer right now .. not laying in bed balancing the playbook from hand to hand ..
Have been off the med (wicked stuff) since Saturday. I am hoping I can actually MAKE my family docs appt on Thursday .. the side effects of the med I stopped are a lack of energy and this dang nabbed headache, makes me want to just curl up and cry.
God bless Lorna for being here ... Gord was going to come home, but I would feel SO bad if that happened, he plans this trip for months.

Starting to poop out :-(
Just wanted to letcha know I'm OK ..

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Glad you popped in, Marilyn.......... not Really OK are you, Marilyn......... hope the stopping of the meds will soon get you back to "normal"!!! Y'know those commercials where they says "do not take this medication IF......."? Did you check the side effects, and are these some of them? If they're contra-indicative with some conditions or meds you're already on, then maybe you should not have been on them in the first place...

I agree - one hour of shopping (or maybe 2) would do me in, too!! My Bob is the window-shopper, not me........

Victoria Harbour, ON

Glad you posted "M"
Won't be many leftovers after tonight, DIL Melanie is working afternoon shift, called Greg, he and the boys will come for supper..there goes all the leftovers for sure.

Know how you feel about the headache, nothing worse. You just have to make the appt. with family doctor. Wish I had one, feel like two tractor trailers ran me over, can barely stand the pain..actually at lunch am going to pharmacy and check for drugs..need drugs..no laughing matter..lordy I'm tired of headaches and aches..know you know what I mean..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

((((((((Betty))))))))))
hope you find the right meds to clear your headaches and pains......

btw - wanna hear something funny?!?! I went to my Drs for a physical, and Forgot that I'd had a hysterectomy about 18 years ago....... and agreed to a Pap test LOL Now, how funny is that?

2 schools of thought on PAPs post hyst Susan. If your hyst was a completer hyst (removal of cervix, a PAP is a bit redundant, but, if it was JUST uterus and fallopian tubes .. yes to the PAP.
Now you just have to remember LoL

I am whipped, whacked and wiped today .. AGAIN .. and hopping angry about it .. called to cancel my docs appt on Thursday and started to cry, explained to the receptionist what was happening and she wants me to try my best to get there .. so .. I may have to use Lorna's wheelchair as I get these little fainting spells ..actually they're 'weak spells' .. in fact, I must phone my son and see if he is off Thursday .. perhaps he could take me instead, or, as well.
Otherwise, I am UP .. sitting down, but NOT alying down !!! GAWD that is frustrating, laying in bed and your mind in high gear with thousands of thoughts exploding from one synapse to another.

Betty .. huge hugs lady .. this headache phenomenon is a real downer .. perhaps you need your iron level checked ?

Belong to another forum for arthritis sufferers, thought it would be a downbeat forum, but, I have learned so much from the people on it .. one of which was how potent the drug i WAS on is!!

Have a great day everyone

~M~

Yay!!! Murray will be accompanying me to the doctor, it's his doctor as well so it will be a 'family affair '
Kinda feel better already. :)

M

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" wonderful news that you will have company while going to the doctor's..you poor thing, can't imagine how frustrating it must be..for this to have come on so quickly you just have to wonder..let's hope your family doctor can provide answers and drugs that aren't worse than the illness.

I'm sure I have the flu that everyone has here..seems to last 2 or 3 weeks..some have the vomiting while others headaches and aching bones..don't know which is worse

Was to have met Jeff for dinner tonight but cancelled..

Here it's not 6pm yet and I'm already home, bathed, in my nighty and ready for bed.

Guess this is living on the wild side Lol. NOT!

Weather is keeping near 10c this week, if only it could last at least till Christmas..newscaster was saying how many millions of dollars Toronto saved last year with not clearing snow..doubtful they will have another year of the same

Think a hot chocolate with marshmallows and side plate of toast is in order..was thinking soup but toast is tempting me.

LOVE toast, has been my mainstay for the past while, however tonight I made spaghetti, and, I actually ate some.
Sure hope the flu like symptoms subside Betty. Lots of rest is needed.

Re my doctors appointment. Thursday.. I was a bit leary with having just Lorna with me, it's kind of a trek to his office from the parking lot and my stamina level is not fully charged up quite yet.

Awesome temps here as well, would be nice if they'd stick around.

NCIS tonight. :)

Toodles

M

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Ladies Ladies, am thinking of you both and hoping there is relief in sight!. It is very important to advocate for your own health when you can so keep challenging the docs so they keep looking/trying things.
Alberta Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - glad that Murray will be taking you to the Dr. Maybe you should check YOUR iron levels.

btw - had a Total hyst. They had to put 7 hot blankets on me - I went into total cold shock! AND cried like a baby for 3 days.... the first week, until the HRT took effect, was terrible! Then, when I was home, my DD said "you wanted hanging plants, you get up on the stool to water them"........ Obviously I couldn't climb stairs, stools, or even vacuum for 6 weeks..... I went to stay with my Mom for a week, and just sat while she looked after me. My hubby came home and gave our DD "what for". I really SHOULD have remembered it, but it was 18-20 years ago.....

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - wasn't it this time last year when you had the same thing.......for about 3 or 4 months? I remember that nasty "bite" that you thought it was...... you still have that scar, don't you?!?!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.