Hurricane Sandy Check-In

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The above ground films of Yellowstone lake I found to be interesting about how the trees growing there were standing in water and now they are dead in 6 to 10 feet of water. All that taking place over a few decades of time.A few decades before that the trees were all well healthy and growing as always.
I remember first learning that from some of the early NASA in-fared photos of earth that showed the Yellowstone Caldera under the surface, what was surprising was no one had been any where near as to humongous size that it is.
Because it shifts at the surface like any other volcano I just do not think it will be any worse than any other . Surface shifts allow pressure distortion and release the only thing is it would likely do like Hawaii and keep erupting forever. Messy to say the least!! Or like MT ST Helen when one side the mountain came down.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Unlike Hawaii, which erupts runny, low gas basaltic lava, Yellowstone erupts gaseous, more viscous rhyolitic lava. The basaltic lava typically produces relatively gentle flows that may spread over a large area, but not abruptly. Rhyolitic lava produces violent, explosive eruptions, often with associated massive ash flows of hot gases and glowing ash that sweep across the landscape at high speeds.

Yellowstone is a cauldera, with an underlying magma chamber many miles across. When a cauldera erupts, the chamber empties many cubic miles of material in a few days. A cauldera eruption makes Mt. St. Helens look like a firecracker. Fortunately, cauldera eruptions are generally spaced hundreds of thousands of years apart, whereas volcanoes like those in the Pacific Northwest erupt much more frequently. If we are going to have a discussion of volcanic eruptions perhaps someone should start another thread so we don't keep this thread off-topic. There are still many people in New York and New Jersey in dire or difficult situations, and we should keep this forum focused on them.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

greenthumb, you are a font of fascinating and diverse information! Wow. I'm not sure if I want to try and get to Yellwostone before the eruption, or stay away .

Anyhow- if we are all done ''checking in'' in this region- the thread in Northeast forum is more actively keeping track of recovery. I just can't imagine how difficult it must be for those still without power and out of their homes. Someone compared this to Katrina. I imagine a journalistic group might make some factual comparison along that line soon, too.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I was just killing some time before bedtime on NE Gardening Forum.
flowAjen posted this link of pictures....they are sort of interactive....you will see....

The black line you will see across each picture can be moved by YOU--to see
the "before and after" of the storm, Sandy, of how that area looked.
Very sobering........Check it out.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/hurricane-sandy-before-a...

Gita

Bummer--that link no longer works here. Go to NE Gardening--to Post # 9324806 by Jen.
November 4. "Some crazy before and after pics"....there is the link and it works from there.

It is just a bit less than half way down this Thread. .."Hurrican Sandy Check In--I think...."

VERY, VERY sad pictures!
Coleup has posted there a lot--so she has probably seen it.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2012 9:14 PM

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lets see if this will work

http://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/hurricane-sandy-before-after-photos/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hubby was in the town where we used to live yesterday. I was born there, bought my parents house when they retired, hubby was a captain in the fire department there. Was up there at some friends' houses to help do repairs, he said I'd cry if I saw it,
40 houses in 1 development were lifted off their foundations
1 of the cops in town went outside that night and saw the water starting to come down the street he grabbed a dog under each arm, he said the other dog could swim, so off they ran to the truck, they didn't even make it to the truck and the water was chest high so they just took off for higher ground at the municipal ball fields
1 of the firemen, said the water lifted the freezer in his basement and rammed it thru the ceiling/floor into the 1st floor

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Judy, those "before" and "after' shots are just flooring!!!!!!!!

Jen, that just makes me want to cry, and puke at the same time. (sorry, but it's true). I'm glad you didn't have to see that.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

coleup--
yes--that one worked, but it is exactly the same as the link I posted.

What gives????

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Glad I could supply a working link. Those pictures sure do speak loudly.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2012 10:31 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

in re: link above
I know many of these places in Jersey, I was stationed and lived there from the late 60s through the mid 70s, and Holly and I took our family there before we went to the Outer Banks. It is heartbreaking to see such destruction, generations of memories just gone. Prior to this, the worst I remember was a wash-over and small channel being cut on Barnegat. To those affected, my deepest sympathy and prayers. Ric

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Guess the all the crazy weather was just too much for this arborvitae
I don't even know when it fell down...weird
Didn't like them right against the house anyway

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Funny how something so big can have such vulnerable roots. Anyhow- I agree you're better off without it.

I agree with Sally, and I'm glad it fell AWAY from the house! =/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wouldn't have gone too far to fall against the house, LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

flowAjen---

You can make many nice, fresh wreaths out of that Arborvitae.
They will look very pretty.

Gita

Gita, always so prrrrrrrractical! Heeheeheee =) It is a great idea though!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

speedie---

You arrrrre always rrrrright.....G.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Free form or stick pieces in a foam ring?

Yes. < =D

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I nevr have used a foam base for a wreath. Foam can just break....Nope! Never!

I always use the wire wreath frames. They only cost $2 or $3. Michaels or Joanne's has them all.
The nuse paddle-wire (1.99) to wire bunches to the frame to your liking. Thick or thin.
Then decorate as you wish--a bow, some pine cones, something Christmasy--
maybe a pick or two--some red berries, whatever. Always comes out nice....

BTW--Nice X-mas present if you are going to someone's house.....

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, Get rid of a bush you are pleased with, get material for wreaths at just the right time and you now get to plan a new garden area. Who knows what you may decide to do with that area.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You should have seen the light bulb moment after hauling it away from the area, ooooo this will be another nice shade garden

ROTFL Our Governor on SNL
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-chris-christie/1424400/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just took a tour of my hometown, yep I had tears in my eyes, garbage still piled up at the curbs and hubby said that they come thru every day and pick up trash, so much devastation. There are police stationed at the ends of the streets that go into the development to stop looters, driving around town police were out in force

anyone see Jon Bon Jovi touring the town?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEsPMS-sa_I

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh, Jen, that must have been so hard. Do you get the sense that people there are getting some of the help they need?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

There is a church group from NC (I think) that is there still helping them clean up, other than that and some of the house owners I saw no other groups or workers(but that might have been cause it was Sunday) Hubby worked on 3 houses last Saturday and he said there was a lot of workers there
We went to a benefit breakfast for the Asst Fire Chief this morning, he lives in the development that was totally devastated. The owners can't even enter their houses that had the foundations totally washed away because it's just not safe

It's 1 thing to see the pics but when you see the real thing, it really gets to you

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I can imagine your utter sadness and distress.

my sympathies Jen.
I was wondering how people are coping with this cold.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.