What's Happening in your neck of the woods?Chat with friends

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Been mostly MIA and just now read of Betty's loss. I'm so sorry to hear about Tailor and I know he will be missed. Hugs from here.

Been trying to catch up on a lot of things, not to mention the garden. Well, no gardening today - we just had a really hard rain and it will be much too wet. But I've edited my hosta pics and am about to upload 2012 pics to my SmugMug galleries. But the existing galleries were getting too large; so I had to revamp the structure and add more A, B, C, D-E, F, G-H, I-K, L, M-O, P-Q, R, S, T-U, V-Z. I hope that structure might do for next year too. I've got the links to all the galleries up, but I still have to fix the table of contents for each gallery and link from one to the next as well as uploading the new pics.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thank you ViolaAnn, she'll be missed..was just her I got to tell about my day, now I'll have to talk to myself!!!

Ohhh can you link to your gallery once you finish your updating??? would so love to see photo's.

Sunny outside now, rain will do wonders for the lawn..glad I cut it last night..was more please with the self propelled lawnmower I bought, yikes I ran around the yard following it and did it almost in 1/2 the time.

"M", we have a payless in Midland, never find anything but am soooo glad you did! Now you've a slip and shoes, hope you have the dress lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi ViAnn! You sound like you're really really really busy with the SmugMug galleries!! BYTM!!

Betty & Marilyn - when I only have 2 nights camping and at my age (as you said ~M~ "back in the day" and I'm not in those days anymore LOL) I need some sleep to get over the running around & setting up the campsite & tent.
'Fraid I just can't burn the candle at both ends anymore......... I worked Friday morning, packed the truck when we got home, 2 1/2 hour drive, then set up at 6-9:30pm (without supper), so was exhausted by 11:00 (which is quiet time, as per camp rules). I just wanted to go to sleep...... We had a cold supper at 10pm and a campfire, then off to bed.

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

I hear ya on the peace and quiet aspect of camping Susan .. hope the other folks weren't too loud.

LOL Betty .. I have 2 dresses which is why I had to go in search of shoes, slip yadda yadda .. why I bought these DRESSES is anyones best guess, oh ya, they were on sale ^_^
Good news on the mower ..

Off to a small community just east of us to do some family visiting tomorrow. Should be a nice drive along Lake Superior .. an hour there and back. and a couple of hours of coffee and conversation in between .. will bring my trusty tea bag (or 2) with me, just in case.

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, quite the day today - I got to work, there was nothing to do but filing (3 files) and put 2 inter-office envelopes into the mail, pack up some binders, and my desk (they're moving whomever gets the job to another desk).
When I was finished at noon, I told the manager (my boss, the director, wasn't in today) I was leaving, so she must have told HR that as there was no work that today was my last day. I just got the email from the agency saying they didn't know what was up, and for me to call tomorrow.........

Victoria Harbour, ON

What a roller coaster ride you are on Susan, here's hoping you get answers tomorrow.

I've all but given up on dresses "M" to the point I feel uncomfortable in them. Lol

Enjoy your family visiting tomorrow, calling for nice weather right? Taking the new wheels?

Was listening to weather channel, see they say we will have a hotter than normal fall and likely we will be having Thanksgiving at the picnic table? Oh happy days

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I don't wear dresses on windy days, and that's most days here in Calgary!! When it's calm in the am, it picks up gale force in the pm LOL
Roller coaster ride, eh? Well........ I asked Bob last night if I should be an "at home wife" and could take care of him while he looks after the finances LOL I have to laugh or I'd scream! LOL

Susan .. your position isn't one I'd want to be in .. when I go to work, that's exactly what I want to do .. work .. and .. I don't want to have to putz around finding something to do.
I had about a 3 month span like that once. The unit I was on was being renovated, so, we would come to work and either be reassigned, or, told to 'find something to do' ..
Frustrating.

Yep, we'll be driving in the new truck down the lake shore .. looks to be a nice day .. 23C .. must enjoy it as back up into the 30s for the next few days .. I can almost envision Thanksgiving dinner as you described it Betty !!

Just looked at the path of Hurricane Issac .. how scary is THAT !!!!

Have a good day all

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Dresses - haven't worm them in years. No make that decades. I'm a different size top and bottom; so I'll go for separates.

Must say that I had a post nearly written a few days ago but when searching for a link, got sidetracked and managed to lose everything. I'll try to do better.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Likely that is why I don't wear dresses as well, besides, as I age I like being comfortable.

It's overcast and feels like rain, haven't listened to my forecast too busy keeping tabs on Isaac and DG friends safety..

Thank goodness he didn't arrive a few weeks ago when I was there..feel badly, I just to love the french quarter, likely they'll be flooded if Isaac continues as he is

"M" you just might have the same kind of weather..I'd miss winter but wouldn't miss if it would be just 2 to 3 months long instead of 4

Didn't sleep well again last night, 4 in a row, 2 more days then 4 off..thought maybe Sunday I'd treat myself and take a drive to Meaford, I always enjoy doing that..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - when the boss says "if you've nothing to do, you can leave", I take that literally. As she wasn't there, it was up to the manager to make the decision, and she got "ticked" apparently. Ah well, try to save the company $$ as requested, and someone else took it otherwise I guess...... I sent an email to the Agency to forward on to Darla (my boss at the contract) so she knows about things like the location of a key for a file cabinet, contacts that have been made/waiting for an answer etc. Who knows........they might call me back for a day to straighten out things I should have been given time to do before I left. It's a 50/50 shot that I will be called back because Darla didn't make the decision or if she did, she didn't have all the information to base it on as she was away.

Susan .. I hope everything turns out OK with the job situation ..

ViAnn and Betty .. after all this fallderal re dresses, I am now looking at 'pants outfits' I have .. like you I go for comfort, and, I think being in a dress (totally not me) would not be comfortable .. woman's perogative is to change her mind, right ^_^

The small trip along the lake was wonderful .. got to see relatives we hadn't seen in years .. children sure do grow up when you're not looking LoL

As expected, a really nice day .. 23-24C .. I am watching Issac with baited breath as the folks in New Orleans see if the levies will hold ..
Betty, I sure hope your friends are alright .. lucky you went when you did.

Take care

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

It's 28c here, now....... humidex of 30c I believe.....

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Marilynne - you might as well go for a pants outfit. There are some really nice ones and they can be much more comfy. But I do like a good skirt sometimes. I needed an outfit for a wedding in June. I took a friend with me and we went to a store I've never been to. 30 minutes later, I had a black skirt, black top and jacket. I never would have tried the jacket on, but it was what pulled everything together. So far I've worn it at 2 weddings, a memorial service and 2 banquets. Here it is last Thursday after the city hall wedding of the friend who helped me pick it out. The hat was something I picked up later and decided would go well with the outfit.

Welll when I figure out where Windows 7 (which I don't much like) has saved the pic, I'll send it along.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi again,

OK, I'm still working on my hosta galleries. Only A and B are nearly finished. But I've been messing around with a new background theme and I'm having trouble deciding. I was going to go with Forest and most of the pages are in that, but I don't really like the white text. So, all of these pages have different backgrounds.

A: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-A/7617361_qL3gHS
B: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-My-Garden-B/25027715_mgWVPG
C: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-C/18748773_TpJkWk
D-E: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-D-E/25028150_Jpqxm9

F: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-Garden-F/12183257_qxjcDF
G-H: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-G-H/25028539_QFr47z
I-K: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-I-K/18748829_zr6FLm

Would you please take a look and let me know what you like best?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I like A & F's background
A is cooling, and F makes the pictures stand out, which is what you want to do - showcase your hostas!
So, I guess final answer is F......

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks ViolaAnn for posting the links..my favorite is Captain Kirk..lovethrvlue's as well..bought one this spring, blue cup gourd, if ok with you may I pass on the link for Joyce in Cincinnati who has a passion for hosta's? she now has a nice collection of miniatures as well...

Using your photo's might try to identify some of mine this weekend..

Ann .. beautiful pics. I do believe one of mine is 'Avalanche', sad to say though, it became 'bunny fodder, in June :-(
I have 2 others and will have to go through all your pics to see if I can pick it out.

Re the outfit (s) .. I think I may go today and do a quick shop and see if I might find some tops etc. I have black pants, so, a red top or a white one would suffice .. everyone in this house is going to be SO happy when this reunion is over LoL

Susan, your Calgary heat is pushing into North Western Ontario today, and will sit here for a few days, YUK ..
However, given what they are experiencing in the southern States with Isaac, I'll take the heat and humidity.

Must go and change up the sugar water in the Hummingbird Feeders, they are busy little critters this morning. Am starting to wonder if they may hold off on their journeys south ...

Toodles

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hardly saw a hummer in my neck of the woods this year, not sure why?

You will be so much more comfortable "M" than the dress, omg, and all the time you spend looking for a slip and all for 'not'! lol

ViolaAnn, I love seeing people with hats, so eye catching..would love to be able to wear one but look like 'minnie pearl' when I do..not a pretty sight.

Promising to be a perfect long weekend weather wise, what do you all have planned?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Well, I don't know for the life of me WHERE the pictures got saved from Facebook, but I pretended to save another pic which got me into the "Library" and then I dragged them to where I hope I can find them. Now's the test. It worked though I wonder why it's got a big red X on it when I preview it (Hey that's new for DG isn't it?)

This message was edited Aug 29, 2012 10:04 AM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Victoria Harbour, ON

What a gorgeous photo of you ViolaAnn, wow..you look like you would fit in with Royalty!!!

I just recently added photo's as well, new system I think loads them up, big red x and then when pressing send the x is no longer.

Lovely photo Ann .. re saving pics in Win7 .. it can sometimes be quite a puzzle ..

Betty, we have a herd of Hummers this year .. I'd say for sure 5 or 6 .. at this time of year it becomes quite a game getting out the back door onto the patio and to the garage .. they tend to 'dive bomb' ya LoL
Have had some close calls for sure .. sometimes they'll hover right in front of your face, you can almost feel the little currents of air stirred up by their wings ..
Such pretty wee creatures.

Was to have gone to our sons tonight for cake and coffee .. just a late get together for their anniversary .. but .. life caught up with everyone and its been postponed .. doesn't hurt my feelings .. it's way to warm to be outside ..

Leftover night tonight .. kinda less work for me, but still, prep time ..

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Love watching them as well "M"...maybe the flowers are giving them nutrition so no need for them to use hummingbird feeders..
Everyone has such busy lives..hard to get together these days..
Been watching clock all day, finally another 8 minutes and I'm homeward bound..
perm night, was to have gone Saturday and Sailor to the groomers and we know how those appointments went so tonight is the night..maybe I can sleep through the process!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

That is a great photo of the group, and Betty's right - Royalty, for sure!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

V Ann
You are so organized! I loved looking at the change in time photos from year to year. Great way to showcase how they do. I prefer the brown background if you are looking for input.
Great outfit! Looks like you are all having fun.
M good luck in shopping , not my favorite thing to do unless it's for plants.
B Having my head played with is relaxing, hope you get some sleep!
T following through all your trials. it's time for you to have some things go your way!

Alberta Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

not all my life is trials.......... I've been having fun playing with my "new to me" IPod. Doing things I was told couldn't be done without wi-fi, but as I don't have wi-fi, I figured out how to do it being connected to my desktop computer lol
I'm loving this Learning Curve lol
This "being off work" means I get to play around with stuff at home - clearing, and quilting lol
There's Always a silver lining in my life :-)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Alberta Ann, nope not sleeping, tonight it's nightmare city, dreams of brother dying, perhaps it's someone saying I should call him tomorrow..almost hate going back to sleep incase I go back into my dream.

Can't wait to get tomorrow in so I can have 4 days off, weather is suppose to be just about perfect, imagine, next holiday will be thanksgiving, doesn't that give you pause for concern?? White stuff is a coming

Aren't I the bearer of good news, must be the nightmares. Lol

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 7:04 AM

Nightmares are running rampant here! I have been up since 5am .. had a doozie .. was locked out of the house and thtap was on in the bathroom with the plug in the sink !!! Where oh where do these dreams come from. I decided it has got to have something to do with watching news footage of Hurricane Isaac

Since I'm up, I'm going to go to Wal-Mart early early .. we went yesterday .. no Scooters available for Lorna .. so .. will be there by 7:45am

Nice to hear from you AbAnn :-)

Susan .. happy to hear you have 'silver lining' ^_^
I am still trying to figure out my BlackBerry Playbook !!!

TTFN

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Up early, but just because I woke up early. However, I do have to be out fairly early for the first part of a thyroid intake scan. Then this evening, the final do for a summer orchestra. We didn't have enough funds to do a real concert this year and have decided to wind the group down with a reading session and performance and party for the retiring conductor.

AbAnn I went over those hosta galleries yesterday and set up 7 colour schemes:

A- Sand
B- Grey (which I'm not going to use because I had issues editing in this scheme)
C- Gold
D-E- Forest
F- Tan
G-H- Brown
I-K Olive and then I repeated them

I don't plan to use Tan - that's just there for comparison because it's what I had before. I'm editing in all of them to see how they work, the issues being in some colour schemes I don't like the font in the edit window and for some of them the page numbers are not sufficiently hi-lighted to tell what page I'm on.

The big issue is that Forest, Brown and Olive have the text in white on the darker background and I'm not sure I like reading that.

The link to the first one again is http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-A/7617361_qL3gHS

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" love shopping early morning..sure wish more stores were open at 6am. Lol

Do you have a long drive to reach a Walmart..takes me about 7 minutes..

Should be around 32 today..think I'll push myself tonight to get the lawns done so I can do nothing but play this weekend

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - I don't have dreams, but I do have premonitions........ and too often they come true.
Mine is that I will pass, before Bob. Makes me feel like I should get things in order. I hope it's just that I'm feeling "down" right now because of all that's happened this year. I haven't mentioned this to anyone else, and won't.........
I don't have any health problems that would cause this, but some things are "sneaky" and catch everyone by surprise. I have been having headaches lately, and that's unusual, and water retention is also something new. It might have been the salted pretzels I've been inhaling lately so have cut back on salt, and am having lots and lots of water.
I saw my Dr about a month ago and had a clean bill of health for my blood-work so it's not that.
If nothing else, it will make me take better care of myself......

We were through the doors of Wal-Mart by 7:45am .. scooter was there .. and there might have been 10 customers shopping.
Betty we have ONE Wal-Mart at present .. about 20 min from home .. by this time next year, we will have THREE .. they took aver the Zellers stores, so, on will be maybe 10 minutes away.

So wickedly warm here .. going outside is a non issue .. I do think I heard it was 35C with the humidex ..
The air is running and I do think I am going to attempt a nap as I have a majorly busy weekend with the nursing reunion and then a FALL fair out this way on Monday .. their 100th Anniversary.

Hope your premonitions become slanted towards the better Susan .. I have had those senses of foreboding before .. nothing ever happened though .. with me it was a car accident I kept thinking I was going to be in .. glad they went away !!!

Have fun at the party tonight Ann .. sounds like a pleasant evening.

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

~M~ guess I'm preparing for the worst, and hoping for the best in life. Sometimes it's just difficult to deal with everything, BUT I'm pragmatic and will take whatever comes.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

V Ann
I like the Gold and the Brown the best. I seem to be fine with the white lettering.
Alberta Ann

Another early day and disruptive night :-(
Was sound asleep at 9pm and the neighbours down the road decided to light up some FIRE WORKS !!
Well .. both dogs were in a panic .. the noise went on til 9:30pm .. then stopped ..
Can't say much .. I think it was one of the children's bdays .. and, they aren't that close, in proximity, but, firecracker noise sure carries.
At 3am a bear was out back, now THAT, to our dogs, is a HUGE emergency .. I finally got up at 6am and called it good .. will certainly have a long day ahead of me .. can imagine I'll be one of the first to leave the wine and cheese function.

TGIF

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh "M". Been on several threads this mornimg and seems few slept..can it be the moon as well. Ohhh can imagine the distress of the furries, Sailor could not take such noise, even howled when the telephone rang..must have been the high pitch..

How did you make out at Walmart yesterday, able to get a cart. Guess you will just have to have a mid morning nap, just don't sleep right through and miss the wine and cheese

Overcast/heavy sky and yet unless the forecast changed not expecting any rain.will have to check, maybe things changed overnight, Isaac sending a bit of inclement weather.

Annabelle how are your gardens doing, seems you've also had unsettling weather?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Too many of you didn't sleep well last night......... hope you can play "catch up" with naps, etc.....

Supposed to rain tomorrow, and that will put "paid" to Bob putting on an overhang to repair our roof and stop the leaking where the previous owner cut into the roof line........ and then he was going to tear down an outside wall under the overhang and replace it - it's where the water's been coming in and we now obviously have a mold issue - we can see where the water has bubbled up the drywall, inside.......
Hope it keeps dry and he can do the work on this long weekend........!!! 40% chance of rain, they say.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Might just pass you by or be late afternoon showers and Bob will be done..best it be repaired before winter sets in..sure to have snow melting and do more damage. If he does overhang first then he can be out of the rain for the siding

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Good thing Bob knows Soffit/Fascia/Siding and eavestrough installation, and has been a roofer for many years.
It's just difficult getting him to Finish a job........ I'm being a nag so he gets it DONE!
I'm really worried about this.....

So Susan .. what's your weather like?
AGAIN, we have another perfect day on the way .. and .. NO HUMIDITY !!!

Last nights 'do' was awesome. 35 classmates showed up .. I think we had a grad class of 48, so, not too shabby.
Funny thing was, at 9pm, most of us were packing up to go home LoL
Back in the day it would have been 3am ^_^
Tonight is the dinner .. hope my feet can take one more night in the dress shoes .. last night was dicey ..

Hope everyone has an enjoyable day

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.