What's Happening in your neck of the woods?Chat with friends

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Co-worker said I should ask Darla if she is extending my contract, as there is no replacement. I suppose even a "bad" worker is better than none LOL Not that I'm a "bad" worker - just not Darla's "cup of tea" for technical parts of Office (ie: PowerPoint tables......).

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wouldn't that be nice if she did Susan..even a few more weeks would help!

Beautiful here as well "m"' but fall is in the air. This mornimg I was up just before the alarm was to go off at 5:30 and for about an hour after I kept looking at the clock thinking it was wrong..so dark out.

Kyle and hismmommjust came to get my car so that Kyle can do his drivers test in it..just called and have to come back, seems the insurance slip is in my purse and not the car..I think there is one in it as well but they say no.

taking the grandsons stateside in a few weeks as a grandma and the boys outing, the Going to Frankenmuth Mi to meet up with dg friends in oct. then again to Frankenmuth for Xmas shopping with the girls then to Floridanfor a few weeks at Christmas so need all the days I can save for then..if it weren't for a paycheck I think I'd enjoy staying home lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

how nice to take the GSs stateside! Sure you'll have a fabulous time, and Christmas Shopping as well!
I'm sure you Would like to stay home lol BUT, at "work" you get to focus on one of your crafts, whereas at home you're "pulled" so many different ways lol Do I know you, Betty? I like to think I do lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

I believe you hit my way of life/personality to a 't' lol

Calling for a glorious week and back to high temps on the weekend

Odd, fingers are kind of numb, then tingly for a bit..maybe I slept the wrong way..

so what exciting do you have planned for the day!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

How are your fingers now Betty? Sounds like a pinched nerve?

What an awesome day here .. went in to pick up prescriptions, dontcha know I got all the way back home, one was missing, called Shoppers , OOPS .. they MISSED it in the box :-(
So, back I go tomorrow, ahh well ..

Went to Penningtons to buy a slip .. SLIP .. nobody wears a SLIP anymore I'm told .. sheeesh .. I have purchased 2 dresses that really would 'hang better' if there were a slip underneath .. so .. off to Sears I guess

Had to stop at Timmies for porridge of course .. YUMMY stuff LoL .. this Tims now has a DOUBLE take out drive through .. I remember saying last winter how awful it is to sit in line with all the fumes, Carol commented how it's the same in the summer but we just can't see the fumes because of the temps .. miss Carol's input on 'stuff'.
I lost a young friend to cancer over the weekend .. Michael was just 37. Here's more on this tireless fighter ..
http://michaelantcliffe.com/

Outside I go for a bit ..

Enjoy

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - I would wear a slip with a light summer dress - you're right, it would "hang" better..... Likely will find them at Sears.
I am so sorry you've lost a friend to cancer - just 37?!?! very young......

Yes, Betty - I'm the same way..... take me away from distractions, and I can focus lol
Bob & I found a lovely little B&B in our neighbourhood, and we're going to book a room for Oct 5th (close to our actual anniversary of Oct 10th, but weekend!)
Here's a link to it
http://www.tuxedohousebb.com/#

btw - I found out today that I'm at this job for at least another week. They haven't found anyone for the job yet, so here I stay until they do.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wonderful news Susan...let's hope a few more weeks after that as well!

Oooh you'll feel special staying there for sure..great place to spend an anniversary.

"m" we were near Linsay on the weekend, cottage country, drive through beyond belief and line up out the door by at least 20.. Thought this is stupid but there I stood. Lol. I've tried the porridge at ours, yuk, not good..hmmm. Maybe I'll give it another try as I do like porridge.

I'm hooked on Wendy's fresh berry salad though

Drats on the prescription

Good news Susan .. but .. it must make you kind of ansty ..
The B&B looks wonderful .. hope you enjoy your time there, lovely grounds ...

Betty, have seen the berry salad on TV, but haven't tried it.
Jeeze, you'd think the porridge would be kind of 'standard' ? The 3 loactions I have tried it at here are all wonderful. Like you, I do like good oatmeal ^_^
The script deal is a bummer, BUT, tomorrow is the day the Polish Legion sells it's perogies and chicken, so, NO COOKING tomorrow night YAY !!
Went online re the slip, Sears does have them .. so .. will likely go there too .. also have to look for shoes .. as Betty would say "drats".
I rarely wear a DRESS, now have to 'pretty up' 2 of them ..

Off to watch CORRIE ...

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - re: length of job....... I'm so tired of feeling "antsy" that I just shrug my shoulders and get on with life. They either want me to stay longer, or they don't. At this point I no longer care one way or another. Sometimes I feel like a marionette puppet, but I'm getting the bills paid, right?!?! lol

Looking forward to staying at the B&B - just over a month until our anniversary! Oct 10th.... 14 years

Victoria Harbour, ON

Then I'd best keep the 2 slips I have in a drawer under lock and key!! Imagine, what is the world coming to...

Lol, isnt it grand when you dont have to cook..i rarely do, seem to put on the beef anyway. I cooked turkey on Sunday just for me..so far that has been Sunday,Monday and Tuesday supper. Who knows pwerhaps it will be Wednesday,Thursday and Friday nights supper as well.

Susan, even though it's close to home it makes it even nicer, no long drive to contend with...that a girl, no sense worrying about what you can't change..

Eyes are droopy, time for bed

Night all!

WAHOO!! I got a slip at Sears .. expensive little number, but, a FULL slip none the less ^_^
Looked at shoes, will delve into that whirlpool later this week .. seems there's lots of parents out there shopping with kids for back to school clothing and shoes.

32C here today .. summer is hanging on by its teeth ...

Hope everyone enjoyed their day

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh happy days "M" search now over! Lol. Often go to Walmart/mall during lunch but not the next week or so, school shoppers out in masses. Went to staples today, that was a big mistake.

Nicer weather expected for the weekend, best enjoy before that white stuff starts.

How's the garden?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Between our many bouts of hail, the heat, and add to that the fact we didn't have water for gardens for 4 days....... well, my garden doesn't look too healthy.

Betty - having the B&B near home is a major "plus" so we're both happy with that, and it really does look charming. We only have one anniversary per year, and I'm determined to enjoy my life with Bob. At our age (58 & 62), I'm not "borrowing trouble" but I am aware that anything could happen (especially as Bob's in construction), and I do not want to squander our time together.

Looks to be another stellar day .. we were told to expect rain overnight, but, as is usual, it never materialized.

The veg garden is looking pretty bleak, darmed weeds .. but, we have had new potatoes and peas and lots of lettuce and tomatoes .. waiting on carrots.
The flowers gardens seem to be enjoying the cooler nights ..

Susan, is your water back on now ? What a blessing that will be ..

Off for coffee with Jo Jo this morning .. nice Tims doesn't throw us out after we have been sitting chatting and giggling for 90 minutes !!
She has just come back from a wedding in BC .. that after her trip to Europe .. she is bound and determined to enjoy herself before she can't .. not that she has an impending illness, but, advancing age does pose some restrictions that sometimes never become apparent until POOF .. they happen !!

Have a good one

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - funny you should ask about the water......
We got our water back last Sat afternoon, then they shut it off for 2 hours. Have had it ever since...Just got a notice in our mailbox - they found 2 new leaks, and will be doing excavation starting Saturday - BUT we're going tenting, so won't be home! They say they're going to shut the water off Monday at 8am to 6pm........... so we're working, but will be home by 5pm, so hope the water's back on again at 6pm............

Victoria Harbour, ON

morning..

Chilly now first thing in the morning..brrrr. Sunshine city for the next 3 days, does feel nice though!

Working from home today, that is always a plus...

Susan sure hope you have our weather for camping..drats still have that mini trailer I bought 3 seasons ago and never used..wish you were closer you could use it!

Tim Hortons are good that way, see so many groups who meet there and I'm sure there is no profit for them I'm sure.

Need to run and get a few groceries before my day starts at 8:30
Will teach me not to buy more than for a few days..just through out half of what I bought last weekend. With convenience of having Foodland only blocks away it's more practical to pick up as needed.

Post office opens at 8..got notification that they tried to deliver a parcel yesterday..ordered a quilt frame that can be used on regular sewing machine...gadgets, let's hope this is as seen on video and just the thing I need to get a few more Christmas pressies done and not something I'll have to store

Wonder how VilaAnn's vacation is going/went

"M" like you am missing Carol..when I open this thread I think of her.
Enjoy your day everyone

TGIF ^_^
Huge thunder storm rattled through here last night between midnight and 4am. Poor Piper, he seems to think I'm the one to keep him safe. I hold him and talk to him and, yes, I sing to him and cover his ears when the thunder booms LoL
Seems to have all gone east of us now though.
Have an appt with the prosthetist today .. Lorna's prosthesis needs to be adjusted .. have to say she's getting better with walking .. she isn't a patient person though.
Yesterday while I was out she got on her Mule and did some tree shaping, gosh, she does a wonderful job.

You'll be glad when this water situation is fixed Susan .. good thing it isn't January !!

Hope your quilt do dad is all it is supposed to be Betty .. I have a closet filled with OOPSIES that I have ordered or purchased and that have not been quite what I expected .. should give them to my DinL to sell at a yard sale.

Hope everyone has a great weekend ...

Cheers

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Know I'm not alone "M" in the gadget buying department but this one was on the expensive side for ooopppsies. Lol. Yep send it to a garage sale to make more $$$ for more gadgets..one is bound to work!

Trying to see what I have that I can try it on, no sense trying to put it together until then.

Wonderful that Lorna is dong so well..send her my way please, could use some landscaping tips..she can sit and just tell me what has to be done.

See that Canadian tire has lawn leaf vacuum and mulched on sale for $150. I know I'd be at their door when my shift is over if I knew it wasn't another gadget and it would work..find hard doing all the raking..maybe emptying the mulched leaves is more trouble than it is worth. Maybe I'll go look at it when my shift is over at 3pm..does Lorna know anything about them

One of the first things Lorna purchased when she moved here was a leaf blower, gas powered back pack kind.
I had never seen one used .. all I can say is WOW !! They work well .. but, you MUST wear ear protection and eye protection because these blowers really DO blow the stuff around. Lorna' purchased a Commercial grade one as there is so much property to leaf blow on ..
I tried it once and felt like I was gonna take off and fly LoL
Lorna isn't a fan of the leaf vaccum .. she says plain old mulching is the best.

Lordy is it H O T here today .. 32C I do believe ..

Lorna's parents and some friends are at Georgian Downs today Betty .. we chose a horse to put a couple of dollars on .. we never win ..

Hope your new 'gizmo' worked for ya

Susan .. enjoy your weekend ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

You've acres and acres thought " M" so commercial you must have.
Just starting to feel my age..just can't even think about raking this year but promised myself no leaving leaves till spring.

Nice evening out a greorgian downs..food tasty beyond belief..maybe this time you will be lucky!

Didn't even take it out of the box, sewed for a bit putting a piece together so I can try it then gave up to lay on the chesterfield

sailor is having a rough day, panting like crazy, breathing off, just can't bare the thought of bringing her in for a final ride but today I'm thinking I should.

Here comes the BLAZING sun again ! Sounds awful I know, but pretty sick of the air conditioning coming on at 8am because the house has gotten so warm .. way too early in the day. Wouldn't be so bad, but, the humidity is not fun to contend with.

Betty, don't envy you the trip with Sailor .. always lurks in the back of my mind with our furries, but, I shove the thought away.

Lorna's folks LOVE the fish and chops at Georgian Downs .. they didn't win anything, but, a good time was had by all ..

Laundry on the go .. have 'to do lists' to try and accomplish.
I would imagine ViAnn will be home soon?
There is a huge contingent of classic cars here in TBay .. driving from coast to coast ..

Best get 'at it'

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sunny here as well "m"

A 10:30am appt for Sailor..not looking forward to perhaps a long trip home alone

Wiping tears

Thinking about you, and hugging you as you care for your precious friend and companion.
If you do ride home alone, know that Carol and Fancy are with you both.

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

fancy and Carol did ride home with me, told me to be brave..sent you all hugs!

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 3:16 PM

DOUBLE extra large hugs from all of us here Betty.
She's just gone ahead and will wait for you until you come to her.

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Mega headache, tried sleeping but no go..thought fresh air would help but not..
Hard decision, I'm sure it best for her

As pet owners we are blessed with being able to have a pet as a trusted companion.
When the final decision has to be made, how fortunate are we that we are able to end their suffering and let them have peace.
You made the right decision Betty.
You will need to grieve, and then, you will be thankful for the memories that pass by and make you smile.

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

A Dg friend sent me the following, too precious not to share
about plans

A Dog's Purpose (from a 6-year old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolf hound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what wa s going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.' Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Live simply.

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy..

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY

This message was edited Aug 27, 2012 1:44 AM

'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'

The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'
WHat a beautiful piece Betty .. made me smile.
All of my Rainbow Bridge pets, and there are quite a few, are likely helping Sailor learn the ropes.

We had RAIN glorious RAIN last night .. going to be another humid day though.
Off to get groceries around 8:30am .. decided to make a Beef Stroganoff.

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, for nights I listened to Sailor having trouble breathing, last night I lay awake, the quiet was deafening!

Up early, packed Sailors balls, cookies etc and will give them to a neighbor.

The reddest of day break, spectacular..no rain so have the sprinkler on, gardens needed a good drink.

Bought that unit "M" that sucks up leaves/twigs and mulches..worth a try. Asked a few at Canadian tire and ne says her stepfather thinks its the best thing since sliced bread.

See that a milk farm in Creemore just set up a system to sell milk in the old fashion bottles..will check further to see where they will be sold. Can you remember, not many will, when you would set your bottles out, with tickets you had purchased for the milk and milkman would pick up and drop of more bottles..ahhh to have those care free days back.

Thinking of opening that quilt frame box to see if I can put it together..would keep me busy..

Can you make extras stroganoff for me..best I did yesterday was make Kraft dinner!

Hopefully the silence in the house will become a bit easier to take as the days pass.
Sure hope the leaf chewer works for you .. sounds good to me .. Lorna is a leaf blower .. mind you, there's lots of places to blow them here ..

I remember the glass milk bottles .. the cream used to rise to the top in the winter .. my Mom always saved it for baking ^_^

Had a surprise today, looked out and saw a strange truck in the driveway .. a beauty .. here it's Gordon .. he had been hinting he was going to buy a NEW truck, and darned if he didn't. It's a 2013 GMC Sierra .. loaded .. very nice vehicle
Am attaching a picture .. now the dogs will have their own seats in the back LoL

This beef stroganoff is easy peasy :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Ohhh she's a beauty "M". Bet he is smiling from ear to ear.surprise/surprise..dogs will be ever so comfy

Had forgotten about the cream on top

Kyle took me for a spin n his new wheel..jeep, doors off/roof off and music just a blaring. Lol

Kyle put together the leaf vacuum/mulcher..only a few leaves but it did mulch..won't be ble to really tell until leaves fall

Got a new self propelled lawnmower, good price at end of season sale..kyle got it going so out to cut grass..calling for rain tomorrow

And oooohhh quilting fame is a gem..pat came and we tried it, she was impressed..few tweaks needed to workspace but am sure I'll love it..

Grass is calling!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

((((((((Betty))))))) wasn't too long ago when we had to make that difficult decision with Baby, our cat. So feel for you......
You might want to edit that long post to take out the phone #s........
Gee, wish we lived closer too.... would love to use your mini trailer! I think I was the one to encourage you to buy it (blush)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Edited Susan..guess when you say select all in dmail box it copies every box

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I guess so - not to worry. You know how many errors I've made in chat, eh?! lol Guess that makes us all human, huh?!?!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Not really considered an error, just copied/pasted..done it a zillion times..who would have known dmails are different!!!

Raining ever so softly, gardens are smiling..one less chore for me tonight.

Grumble, grumble .. if you believe it, I'm grumbling because of MORE sun and heat/humidity .. I've about HAD it .. you don't realize (until it happens), just how that kind of weather affects you when it becomes a daily thing as opposed to something that happens once in a while over the summer ..

This week is a MUST in the shoe dept for me, as my nursing reunion is this coming weekend .. wish me luck ..

I had thought I had made an error with the new picture upload method on Daves, but, I see the 2 pics came out OK

Hoping to get this day off to any early start .. how was the camping Susan ?

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

too short, Marilyn
Seems we were hardly set up (Friday night) when we had to disassemble everything....... (Sunday morning)..... otherwise was good. Will wait until next year to go to Sleepy Hollow though - there are road crews there, and it's noisy at night when they finish for the day......

Victoria Harbour, ON

think the sun is finally coming out, light rain all morning

you should have partied right along with them Susan!!! you know who would do that lol

YAHOO!!!!!!!! Payless Shoes to the rescue .. and here I didn't even know we had one in TBay.
Jo mentioned it to me, and I went in at 1005 and walked out at 1020 with a pair of shoes LoL
PLUS .. great service (friendly)

Susan, back in the day, when we camped on Northern Light Lake .. we were up until all hours, I sometimes think about the other campers who weren't yearly 'regulars' .. we tended to be a HAPPY group .. and our campfires were a bit boisterous, to say the least.
Nobody ever complained though, and, usually the non regular campers were invited over to the campfire.

Clouds have moved in and we have a HIGH today of 23C instead of 30C .. whew .. a break in the humidity.

Off to take Lorna's wee car to the mechanic .. the 'engine' light is on .. the car rarely gets used .. but nice to have here when her parents come as it gives them a reliable set of wheels .. free ^_^
It's a Chevy Cavalier, 1998 !! Kinda long in the tooth .. but way low mileage.

TTFN

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.