Fall Swap at Sallys- DISCUSSION about your haves and wants

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Pippi wrote on the haves and wants Thread:

Sally, if nobody has spoken for your Frans Hal, I'd be interested in it. Rec'd that from Gita last Fall and they were so pretty this Spring/summer(whenever they bloomed!)

Ruby..my hand is up high for some more Mary Todd daylilies. They were spectacular this Spring..if nobody has spoken for them.

I took some cuttings yesterday and took some transplants and will post those later..want to make sure they make it!

If anybody has any beautiful Christmas Cactus that they can take cuttings or plan to root for the swap, I would love some. I won't be picky about color.

I am reading where some of you are offering bulbs..have these bulbs being in the ground or are they brand new bulbs that have never been planted? Just curious!

AspenHill(Terri)if you ever take any cuttings/rooting from your "Vivid Rose" from your Grandma's bush, I would love to have just one start from it. Fell in love with it from viewing your pictures of it.

Sally..did you mention anything about the gift table yet? That is always a lot of fun.
Have I missed posting of the food Or does that come later?

*****************************************************************************************************

Pippi---

I have several clumps of Frans Hals growing--but not much, since I dug them up and divided them
all for last fall's Swap.
I am watching carefully for the seed heads to ripen so I can collect some seeds. I have NONE left!

I DO have a bunch of CC that have been growing for a couple of years. They are in 4" pots.
I think I listed them on my "Haves" list--which is far from complete as of yet.
These CC.'s should bloom this year. I have the usual fuchsia/white--Red--some salmon--and a pink one
that I have not yet seen bloom. They have all been sitting just outside my front door with NO sun.
Well watered and maintained. I repotted them all from their little 2" clay pots in the now 4" pots recently.
You could see them perk up.

The bulbs I am offering are dug up from my beds this late spring. They are not the newly purchased ones....
Mostly--they are a mix of regular Daffs. and some "Tete-a-Tete" (mini daffs). I already brought a box to Holly's
Spring Swap and several people took them.

There usually is not a separate Thread for the gift table--as it is not required that you bring something...
Most people do--but they just say so on their "Haves" Post. As in: "I will have something for the Gift table"....

I will take inventory today and make a list of what all I really have--and make my "Haves " list
more complete. It is about time......Did a lot of cuttings yesterday.

Gita

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

What would kind of plant would you put in a hypertufa?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here are a couple pictures of my little CC's.....

I know I want to send some more to JB--especially the pink ones--hope they are pretty.
G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey you all!!! Check this out!

"GardenGuyKin" (from Oregon) sent me this to let me know that the Bloom for Today (Aug. 8) is
my shot of the Brazilian Plume Flower......from 2007. You have all seen it already....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1274524/

I am honored!!! Gita

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

That is gorgeous! How old do you think that plant is 5 years? magine that it is pretty big. Does it require much light/care indoors for the winter

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

U all realize this makes me wish I still lived near the Chesapeake Bay just north of Aberdeen MD,(lol).

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

We wish you did too juhur!!!!!!!

Gita thanks for thread TLC directing Pippi ove here. I have a few clumps of Frans Hals marked, I'm sure I can share.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 2:57 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Terp--

I am not 100% sure. Being that picture was taken in 2007--and was, already so big, and blooming--
I would add another 3-4 years to it????

I bought it as a potted start at Rawlings Conservatory--in Druid Hill Park-=-near the Zoo.
I had rooted cuttings of it to share at Holly's Plant Swap this may.
Will not be taking any more cuttings this year. It needs to re-grow from last Fall when I cut it back
pretty severely.

Here it is right now--beginning to bloom pretty good. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

TERP, I will gladly share the seeds with you, and assist you in your journey toward more patience with seeds. < =D

Crozet, VA

Thanks Jill for info on powdery mildew. Will do a google and see what I can learn. I haven't been back out to tend the plant since realizing it had it, though after some research may try some of the ideas I find. It really sounds as though we aren't all swapped out after all and looks as though many have lots to share. I haven't yet done an inventory of my house plants, but will add those to my HAVE list after doing so.

In the mean time, really excited about this upcoming event....as always.

Speedie, so glad that you and Terp don't mind waiting til spring for some of our things. All others, hope you are staying cool today.

Ruby

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, Terp, if I missed your wanting Obedient Plant... I'll have loads to offer. I have to dig up a bunch of it to make room for some new siberian irises this fall... it not-so-obediently took over a corner of the garden, but it's better than weeds LOL... and easy to yank up. :-)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Exactly the purpose I have planned for it weed replacement

Ruby - don't mind a bit. Maybe we can set the spring swap now, a save the date(s). Lol.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 6:19 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have taken 80% of all the count of things I will have to share.

Was going to post them tonight--but there is more Volleyball on the TV Olympics tonight.
Have to keep my proprieties straight--you know.....

Gita

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

They are only on for a few more days....

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I KNOW that--and i am an old Volleyball addict and player.....

Gotta watch these games.....Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Not much to watch on the Olympics---i must have missed all the Volleyball.....:o((

SO! I have just updated all my "HAVES". As of mow....

Please go check--and let me know what you would like to have.....

Gita

OH! Here is a picture of the "Curly Spider" plant--in case you do not know what this looks like....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

A picture of a Swedish Ivy HB. These grow fast and are gorgeous.....

And--a better picture of the "Curly Spider Plant".....

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, Donnerville, I'd love as much Acorus ogon as you can spare!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally - has your tank been spoken for yet?

Speedie - I will bring you some cuttings from 2 diff Christmas Cactus (both have at least 2 flushes/yea)r. One was my grandmother's that I inherited when she passed 18 years ago - just the normal deep pink colored blooms. The other one...hmmm I don't remember the color...it'll be a surprise.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 9:53 PM

Gita, I'm interested in your angel wing begonia and ric-rac cactus.

Ruby, I'd like some creeping jenny, pink astilbe, and sedum Sarmentosan.

What kind of caryopteris do you have?

Speedie, I'm still interested in the Homestead Purple verbena. :)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Me me I volunteer creeping jenny!

Haha, Terp, and anyone else with creeping jenny, I'll gladly take them! I'm trying to cover a wet shady area.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Creeping Jenny loves wet (I've got the gold one around some water garden pots, sunny spot but pretty shaded by neighboring plants in some places)... and I noticed just this afternoon how well the green one does in shade, even pretty deep shade under some overgrown shrubs in the back corner.

I'll know more about what I have and what I've managed to pot up later in the month. Next week is "Camp Aunt Jill" with my just-5 year old niece, with Joyanna's birthday at the end of it, so I've been going full tilt trying to finish some re-organizing and decorating projects... good thing God has been watering the plants lately, LOL.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Gita, what size are those pots that you start your cuttings in? 3 in. maybe? Or 4 in.?
What type of pottings mix do you use for starting the cuttings? I noticed at last Fall's plant swap at Jill's, all your plants were so healthy and so neatly arranged. Wished I lived closer to you so you could teach me how to do a lot of propagating. Did you use special soil to put up the Christmas Cactus?

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from ssgardener :
Speedie, I'm still interested in the Homestead Purple verbena. :)

And you are still on my list with a :) next to your face to share some with you! < =D

Chantell, WOW, thank you!!! I don't remember asking for some, so in case you've mixed me up with someone else who asked, and this would end up cutting (no pun intended) them short, then you may save it for that other person. Otherwise, I can think of a happy home for it! =)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Quote from critterologist :
Creeping Jenny loves wet (I've got the gold one around some water garden pots, sunny spot but pretty shaded by neighboring plants in some places)... and I noticed just this afternoon how well the green one does in shade, even pretty deep shade under some overgrown shrubs in the back corner.

Mine grows in full shade under a beech tree where nothing else thrives

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Chantell- I had one person interested in the tank but not sure if she's a go...I will be happy to hold onto it for you if she does not come through.. INcluding the gravel washer tube thingy so you can have gorgeous aquarium water for your plants!! Did I say there are two goldfish included? About 2- three inches each. There was a third but I gave him away with another bowl at my yard sale. So this tank will be very happy supporting two fish (Even though petsmart tried to tell me My fish were already dead because thats too many fish haha.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Crozet, VA

SSgardener, I noted your requests and will have them ready for you. John isn't here at the moment to ask about the Caryopteris and all that I know is that it puts off a small blue bloom. Very pretty in full bloom. If I find out more info, I will let you know.

My Creeping Jenny is in full sun and seems to love it there too. Must be one of those plants which does well wherever it is planted. Oh, it can die too, but for the most part, seems to go to town once it gets started.

Still haven't inventoried house plants but will do so soon.

Pippi, I agree about the healthy nature of Gita's plants. She must have a secret that we don't know about.

Hope that everyone has a great weekend coming up.

Ruby

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Goldfish are "messy," but that's not too many fish if you keep an eye on water quality and change it every so often. Sheesh, usually petsmart employees go the other way and say "no problem!" when you want to put a baby oscar (grows to 10" or more very quickly) or 28 guppies in a 10G tank. My favorite fish for small freshwater tanks/bowls are bettas & gouramis... they have no problem with water quality bec. they naturally occur in "sluggish slow moving streams" (aka "mud puddles")... they're tough! Just don't put more than 1 betta... 2 males will fight to the death, female who isn't in the mood will tatter the male's longer (slower) fins.

If we have more than one person wanting a little tank, I'll look under the basement stairs and see what I have... :-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

pippi---

I really do not do anything special...just may seem that way.
After years of doing all kinds of cuttings and rooting--all this just comes naturally.
If I learn something new--and it makes sense to me--I will implement that in the future.

I have a bale of Pro Mix, which seems to be all Peat Moss and Perlite. Not sure if it has
any fine bits of bark in it or not. I use this mix for most of my rooting--as it contains NO
soil--which could have "stuff" in it.
Yesterday--I took apart my whole Easter cactus, as I think I had over watered it (being it is outside)
and the older stems had all gotten semi rotten and hard. They were falling out of the soil.
Ended up creating several small pots of new cuttings (put these in moist Coir...)
Also ended up with 3 new larger pots. Now--just hoping all these will root.....
Some small pots I had done earlier (clay pots) are all rooted. Should have a bunch to share next May.
These all get a sprinkle when I am watering my other plants.

For my CC. cuttings, I use the tiny little (1 1/2") clay pots to start with. Bathroom cups underneath for "saucers".
Have used the tiny plastic ones too. Main reason I like the clay is that you cannot over-water in clay.
It just dissipates through the walls. Kind of a safety check.
Recycle....recycle.....idea. The tops that come on Yogurts holding the cereal crumbles make
excellent little saucers for small pots. As do lids from jars and containers.

In the winter--I line all these little pots along my window sashes. Many times--I forget to water them,
and some of them start looking a bit shrivel up.

In the summer & fall, they all sit just outside my front door on 2 small, loose wire plant stands.
See my photo above on Aug. 8th. No sun at all--as my house faces North. Perfect, bright shade!
About a month ago--I potted them all up in 4" plastic pots. The kind AV's come in.
They visibly perked up. I still used the Pro Mix as it is light and well draining.
I think I mixed in a bit of moist Coir into it as well. BOY! Does that stuff hold water a long time!!!!

Depending on what I am rooting--some plants get put under my grow lights to help them along.
Such as Coleus, and the Brazilian plume. Brugs., etc. Why not use your light set-up for this purpose,
as it is not needed for seedlings? Even some newly potted up CC sections...to give them a head start.

I like giving people well cared for cuttings and plants. Just my anal way...and it is appreciated.

Pippi--overall, I think what also helps is that I do not fuss a lot about my plants---many times
they are actually ignored. I think plants like a bit of "being ignored".....
As I often forget to water my small plants (inside), the soil gets to dry out which has a couple of benefits as well.

Here are some pictures for you, Pippi.
1--Last Christmas--all these new sections rooting--started in December.
2--Pots on window sashes
3--some babies decide to bloom....:o) Cute!
4--Using my light set-up for cuttings in the winter. Coleus do SOOO well this way!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Gita..thanks for your response..I really appreciate you taking time to share your gardening experience and knowledge with me and others. I don't have a light set up and don't know where I could squeeze one in. The garage is not heated, and that would be a perfect place because we just sold our Ford Ranger so I have room to walk in there now! I'm waiting till cooler weather to go through and clean all the cabinets out and re-organize things. I did a little bit last Thursday but when the temp reached 91 and the sweat starting running into my eye and it stinging, it was time to call it quits for that day. I'm trying to do a little bit the day before trash pickup day so it doesn't have to sit out in the way for too long. I got rid of a wooden trellis we'd had for years and after I thought I should had offered it to somebody in the MAG group. Don't want DH to say he didn't want that to go out and put it back, like an old wood baseball bat that he pitched a fit about me throwing out.

Where do you find the Pro-mix? Very few stores over our way sell it but I think Behnke's at Beltsville might. That's probably 20 miles or more..They have a wonderful nursery, just not close by..HD is only 1 mile from us..so you know that means MG or Scotts.

Where do you buy those little terra cotta pots? Online? I have lots of the plastic nursery pots, all sizes but I want to order more 3 in. for cuttings. Have lots of the 4 in. size.

Do you dig all your spring bulbs up after they finish blooming each year and let them dry outside till foliage dieds , then store them in a cool place? I was looking on one of the garden supply websites online and saw Bulb pots. Although I mark the location of the bulbs when planted, somehow they go missing or I end up stepping on them by next Spring and don't know what's planted where..I was thinking I could use the bulb pots to plant them in and get them deep enough so that the top edge is above ground so it would be visable to see by pulling the mulch back a bit. Could always spray paint the top edge of the pot so it makes it easier to see plus insert a metal plant ID marker there too. When the blooming is finished, just lift that pot of bulbs and let the foliage dies.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Behnkes is selling caladiums in 4inch pots for a dollar this week. $2 for 6 inch. A steal!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Pippi--

Gonna make this shorter.....I have been at the computer now a couple of hours...

I think stores like S. States (or similar) sell it. I know that Jill buys a lot of this stuff.
I believe she orders it on-line???? Please ask her....
I bought my bale at a local farm store/Nursery. They grow and pot a lot of their own plants.
A Grower business would surely have some. Some of the bigger Nurseries???

You can buy the all sizes of clay pots at large craft stores--like AC Moore or Michaels.
They are not heavy--as they are meant for crafts, but the go on sale now and then.
I have collected mine over the years of working around greenhouses and plants.
Many of the small cacti come in these. I shamelessly hoard any empty pots from
discarded plants--even if I can get to them at the HD.

Pippi--
Yogurt containers are just the right size for cuttings. Now with all the Greek Yogurts, those pots arne nicely
shallow and pretty. To make drainage holes in these--get a pair of pliers, to hold the long nail, and then
heat it hot over your stove burner and melt 2-3 holes in the bottom of these containers.
Voila! Instant little pots.... Didn't cost you anything extra either....

Your Garage may work for a light set-up, you would just have to run a small heater and fan in there.
I do not know what temps are necessary for seedlings??????...Again--ask Jill.
All her light set-ups are in her basement--but that is part of her house, and, probably heated.

No! I do not dog my spring bulbs up--as a rule. But--I wanted this one bed clear of all the smothering, dying off foliage
and decided to totally clear it out from any bulbs. I bet you I missed some--and they will come again.
Some of the smaller bulbs just get dug up as I plant my annuals. Then--I am NOT going to put them back!
Except my Wood Hyacinths. I do not want to lose those....

OK! Gotta run.....Need to update my "haves/Wants/Promised to Post.

Took this picture just now to give you some ideas.
Note the little saucers-- in front--the tops to yogurt containers that come with granola on top.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Just a note on my Red Easter Cctus. To those who may want to ask for one.

Other than ONE I have growing----I just yesterday potted up all the new cuttings.
I would not want to pass along freshly potted up cuttings to anyone. What if they don't root?

SO--If you really, really want to have one--please wait until the Spring Plant Swap in May.

Ruby--Can you wait until May to get yours??? Sorry....I just mentioned that I had potted up some--
in my "Haves" list--not that I had any ready to share. Perhaps I should remove it....

Thank you all for understanding . Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gita, I bet those cuttings will start striking roots by swap time. You may as well save some space on your window sashes for other babies! :-)

Sally, do you still have a Sanseveria 'Moonlight' available? THat's such a pretty cultivar. I'll see if I can get a little start out of my pot to give you in return... it's not the more usually gold & green but rather green striped with the same sort of silvery color 'Moonlight' has. (noid, though)

I get my Pro Mix at Southern States or at Dutch Plant Farm... except when I can sweet talk Ric into picking up some for me near their place, where it's $10 to $14 cheaper. I do go through a LOT of it with my current approach of growing baby plants into trade gallon size or bigger before planting out... but it's less $$ than it would be to just buy big plants (or maybe I just end up with more plants for my $). LOL

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I would also be interested in the moonlight mothers tongue. I have a bunch of the regular green mothers tongue or snake plant. I will bring it, it can probably be split a bunch if necessary.

Paul

*Guilty of buying 10 caladiums from behnke in beltsville...couldn't resist the $1 4 inch pot.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--

I noticed all your bales of pro Mix at the Fall Swap. Yours seemed bigger than the one I got at
Richardson Farms for $19. However--it is soooo compressed--that it will do me for 2-3 seasons
of cuttings and plantings. It IS good stuff! I am about 1/2 way through the one I got.
Maybe if you have an extra one, you could sell it to Pippi. What YOU pay may be a bit much than she can pay.

I KNOW my Easter cactus will root. I DO!!! I just do not want to take the chance of giving away half-rooted plants.
I want to know they are well rooted and on their way to future success....besides--I will not have THAT many!!!

There are other people I would like to share this plant with than Dg'ers. Like-JB. She is my special DG'er lady.
Have to think ahead. Have to consider other people as well.
Also a couple special people at my HD. that are avid gardeners. Like Susan. The one with the house in VA.

Plants are always there! One just has to treat them well--propagate them with love--and then pass them on.
BUT--always keep a few for myself.

Gita

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I am going to be moving from the townhouse I currently live in into a larger place by the end of this month (still not an apt to myself but 2 rroms and my own bathroom and private entrance at least). I mention this because Sharon (who owns the townhouse) said she wants the backyard to be just grass so all she has to do is mow it. This means I may be digging up all the plants I have planted over the last 2 &1/2 years so I may be bringing some to the swap.

Thumbnail by Catbird423 Thumbnail by Catbird423

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.