Watering in this Heat and Drought

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Gracye, you mom said it so it must be true.

No, really , I was wondering about the stress of watering things that wilt, getting them to bounce back only to have to wilt again.... i don't know. I think she has a point.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

We were blessed with a good soaking rain....again I hear the sound of 'aahhhhh' coming from my yard. Hmmm never thought about the stress that puts on a plant - not that I let them get that way intentionally. What's everyone's thoughts with that allowing the plants to built a stronger root system i.e. sending the roots down deeper iso of water? Backwards thinking on my part?

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Well now, that's very interesting (about not watering a wilting plant). Let me think about it out loud here for a minute.

Firstly, I guess it would depend on whether it's in the ground, or in a container. If it's in a container, then by all means, water away! (where else will it get the water from?). This, of course, it's a no-brainer.
However, in the ground... It sorta does make sense, kind of like that "tough love" thing; ya want something? Learn to GO AFTER it yourself, the process will make you stronger in the long-run. ....provided there actually **is** something to "go after" (ie: water deeper down for the roots to go after). Depending on the conditions, I think sometimes we (humans) have to provide that water for them to go down after though. I think that's where the slow/deep watering comes into play, just don't do it too often. This is part of the art form that watering is.

Of course, some perennials go dormant in the summer (I don't know which ones, maybe someone could help me out here?), so maybe it's just trying to go dormant and by watering them, we're not letting them do what they want to naturally do? My guess (and this is ONLY a guess) would be that, the earlier-blooming ones would be the most likely to go dormant in the summer if it's particularly hot and dry. So I'm thinking (ouch!), if we've got something that's wilting, and we KNOW we're watering properly, then we could/should find out if it's one that goes dormant in certain summer conditions.

Thank you for letting me think out loud. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. =)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Speedie, I have a new plant (just put in last fall) That started to wilt, at first I thought it was just a big leafed plant and maybe needed more water or somehow just missed in the watering. But it continued to go down hill and is dying back. So I have been wondering if it is one of those types that die back. I must look it up to see if that is what is happening.

I have found that sometimes, very heavily-foliaged or big-leafed plants will do well in this kind of heat and drought if you cut them back a bit. Maybe you could give that a try too?

Cutting back probably WOULD help many cases. If simple drying, you reduce the leaf load. If it has lost roots, you need to reduce the leaf load to offset that.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Holly, speedy and sally, not sure I would go with the 'reduce leaf surface" as a solution for wilting and dying back of newly planted plant. Here are some of my thoughts,

When the thermometer hits 90 degrees or above plants need all of their resources to cope with extreem heat so reducing leaf surface reduces a plants ability to transpire, a plants way of evaporative cooling. Pruning or leaf removal triggers a plant to put out new growth or flower which further taxes already totally maxed out resources. What the roots can't supply with sufficient moisture fast enough to cool will die, older leaves first, then new growth. Also, removing leaves in hot dry conditions leaves not removed leaves and branches, etc more exposed to hot dry sun than before pruning/removal.

Since Holly's plant is not yet established and acclimated to conditions for a year or more, I might try 'cooling" the plant by adding mulch to cool soil temps or shading the soil and the plant with an umbrella, shade cloth, etc. Misting with air circulation can also be a means of cooling. Might also just dig up the plant and containerize it in a shadier/cooler location where I could better control providing adequate water without waterlogging the soil. We've got a lot of days of hot weather ahead of us.

This article covers ways in which hot weather effects plants.
http://www.plantanswers.com/garden_column/june03/4.htm

I also think that most of the plants that we grow here do not go dormant in summer heat (exceptions being spring ephemerals) so much as they go into survival mode and just don't grow until temps drop.

Again, these are my thoughts.

Good thoughts.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

coleup--

I like your reasoning......good detecting work--putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with the right answer.

Even though most of my plants are hanging on, I can tell that my brugs are not too happy.
Having all the spider mites does not help--but, in general, Brugs just do not like all this heat.
I have been growing brugs for years now--and I can tell--I also remember this advice from my first years.

My 3 Brugs really do not sit exposed to the hot afternoon sun. One gets full AM sun and then is shaded a bit--
the other two sit in front of my shed and get some protection from the Maple tree by the shed.
BUT--the heat is still there--even if the sun is not on them all day.
The plants that are loving this weather are the day Lilies....my KK Hibiscus, my cucumber plants--
and the usual annuals--even though their blooms do not last as long as they would in a cooler summer.
Oh, well......
This is looking West across my back yard. See my two Brugs on the pad in front of my shed?
Of course--my S.E.M. still lives....UGH!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Your Brugs are way happier than mine. Planted mine in ground. I just can't keep the ground moist

Coleup, oh yes, VERY good deductive reasoning, thank you!! I just love how I always learn something new here all the time!! < =D (as my DH would say, "Look at the brain on THAT one!!") < =D

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I've been trying to encourage some annuals to acclimate to the dry conditions by a good soaking and letting them go pretty dry before watering again. It seems to be helping. Many of the tulip poplars are shedding leaves to reduce the stress, you can tell it's natural 'cause they pull all the chlorophyll and moisture from the sacrificed leaves the same as winter leaf senescence. Ric

We've gotten 0.8"s of rain in the last hour or so, it was much needed. there appears to be more on the way. :>} It amounted to 2"s in my 25k/gal rain barrel. LOL

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 4:22 PM

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

@speediebean:

Uh, duh, I ccould take the wheel somehwere! Jeesh.

@Ric: Yes, it was much needed, but not enough. Our pond (3/4 acres) is now almost completely dry. The geese have left (small silver lining for us) and the herons are chowing down, which is nice for them, but I really wonder what next year's gardens are going to look like.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was watching the large yellow Tulip poplar that grows across the street .It will lose leaves like that also.About every so often times of year one will see that,yellow poplar seems to react more to stress than some of the trees.
Redbud's get ratty looking,.Red Maples leaves get smaller and deform .

A few sprinkles here,nothing measurable,no rain all month at the big city airport to the south.It was like that during June here, when it finally rained on the the 24th or 25th .That is to dry for everything and anything.

Wer got maybe a quarter inch here tonight. One dogwood and an ash are dropping leaves

Warrenton, VA

One thing I have recently learned, or come to realize. While I am panicking over my planted things in this heat, especially the $$$ new ones, I am looking around to the larger world.

What do I see? Native trees, shrubs and vines in heat stress. They compensate as they know how, and it is VERY INTERESTING that my planted stuff is doing the same.

So, I am taking a bit harder stance on all the worry. Sure, I was out this morning, on a vacation day, watering for about two hours, but I am learning to place faith in my planting ability, and the health of what I have planted. I am no longer scrutinizing every twig, leaf or stem. I take my direction from all that is naturally planted around me, and it seems to be correct for my landscape.

HollyAnnS, juhur7 & sallyg - your observations are testament to what I am trying to say.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My zinnia waited and waited (saved seeds) to sprout and grow. My planted seeds seem to know,that's why many are old favorites,you name it they deal with it.
The plants we plant all know how, given any chance at all,we buy them from professionals, you ever think of what they go through from seed to your garden. Of course you all have! We know how to plant, get the air out of the soil around them,water them in for a day or three until they adjust.
Well any way it is all down to why and what we and the plants can do(sometimes that is a lot).

My purchased plants are doing fine and I am in a extreme drought zone.

Gracye; I am only repeating you about experience,and the plants are genetic experts!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

HALLELUIAH!!!! It is finally raining here!!! NO joke! It REALLY is!!!

Having a T-Storm with an actual downpour! So many promised--none delivered....

Glad to see some rain. Of course--I spent hours watering everything this morning/afternoon...
I sure appreciate this rain!!!! I will water deeper than I ever could with y hose...

Walked around--umbrella in hand--to see how all my new gutters and downspouts are performing.
Saw a few issues. Sent my contractor an e-mail.....He needs to send some of the Guys back to check on it...

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, we've been getting dumped on for 1/2 hour, I may have to fill a couple barrels from the pool. Thank the Lord! Ric

Rain predicted for tomorrow too!

This message was edited Jul 19, 2012 9:35 PM

I guess it was a bit of a more Northern Rain, 'cause we didn't get any down this way, (even though it was predicted) but I hear there's supposed to be some (more) predicted for today. Gosh I hope so!! Dunno how many of you will know this one, but it brings to mind a song, "Jesus Bring The Rain"! < =D (yeah, different context, but it's still a good one). =)

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow: a cool and drizzly day after some reasonable rain last night.

I got an email from a nursery newsletter that included some watering tips:

"The Greenwood Buzz – July 20, 2012

While Tennessee has gotten a reprieve on the drought (at least for now), many of our neighbors to the mid west are still in terrible drought conditions. Crops, landscapes and gardens are suffering at the lack of rainfall.

Measures you can take to ease the stress on your plants, especially older trees and shrubs:

Read the article by Robert Childs, How Drought Affects Trees and Shrubs to get an overview of what stress on plants will look like.
Lava rocks, gravel, rubber and other inorganic mulching materials are not good and can heat up the ground causing plants to burn.
To help keep moisture in the ground for the plants, put a thick layer (about 3 to 4 inches deep) of organic mulch such as shredded bark, straw, aged compost or aged manure mix. Remember, if it doesn’t decompose, don’t use it.
Water larger/older trees and shrubs in the evening hours so water has a chance to soak in overnight. "

The link to the article did not make it here, but you can google it. I am a bit unsure about the recommended mulch depth, as I have read that more than 3 inches can cause problems.

Quoting:
I am a bit unsure about the recommended mulch depth, as I have read that more than 3 inches can cause problems.

Yes Ma'am, that's what we explain to our customers at work too, when they voice concerns about termites. That seems to be the biggest concern we hear about when it comes to organic (read: wood) mulches, that they actually **attract** termites, which of course is a fallacy. We go to great depths to explain how and why organic mulches are the best thing to use, just don't make the mulch deeper than 3 inches, tapering it to a thinner layer as it gets closer to, and then up against, the house... but sometimes people just insist upon going with rock anyway. **shrug**. Whatcha gonna do, eh?

I have read cedar and cypress cannot feed termites/ less likely to, so thats what I buy for around foundation. It lasts longer than 'hardwood shredded' too. Course, it's not as good for 'slowly rotting and adding to Organic in soil."

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally---

Talking about mulches----a local Nursery here (where I used to face-paint at their annual fall Fest) called
Chapel Hills Nursery carries "Fine Pines". 2cf bag for $5. I bought 2--but have not yet opened one
to see what it looks like. "Feels" OK through the plastic.....

If you cannot get it anywhere--I can bring you some bags. OR--IF you are still planing to come this way
one day to go to Ikea (and bring me my tote)--I can take you there and you can get some yourself.
It is about 2+ miles from my house.

I hear we had a second serious T-Shower during the night las night. HUH???? I never heard it!
Talk about sleeping like a log.....I thought things looked a bit too wet for just the one T-Shower we had
during the day. Besides--they are saying today on radio, that another 54,00 people lost their power again.
Double HUH???....HUH???....

All day today it has looked like it will rain--just have had a bit of misting so far....

Grateful for what we did get......:o) Gita

The latest on my "monster Cukes"......They are now climbing my shed roof.
And--the sad facts on the status of my Tomatoes--as of yesterday. I could just cry.......

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gita, many thanks...but ACE is now selling 'Soil COnditioner" in the mulch section. Close to home for me.

Your poor tomatos. Is there any consolation that I have yet to pick ONE ripe tomato myself? And my cukes are near death and terrible. I've picked 2 all summer.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have an abundance of cukes--Been sharing them with neighbors.....

Hey, coleup! You want to drive up to Baltimore? I'll make you a bug jar of pickles.....
Maybe if sally comes up--you can join her???
I'll show you around MY neck of the woods.....

Gita

Warrenton, VA

Okay, I cannot stand it. I went outside a while ago to take this photo for all of you. It is of my steroidal garden. I made 4 large loaves of Zucchini Bread, and a Zucchini/Fresh Tomato casserole (we had it with garlic bread - perfect summer meal!). Note the bird netting on the left - it is sheltering my new-this-year strawberry patch.

Even though I cut my desires in half, I still have plenty to share! Hubby is especially happy to give his sister and brothers some of our produce. He even fed his dad about a dozen strawberries on Wednesday - his father's friend, in the Nursing Home, does not speak, but under instruction from dad, my husband shared some of the strawberries with him. Hubby talked and talked about that huge smile that came upon his face when he tasted "real" strawberries.

This is what it's all about, eh?! I really love to grow vegetables and fruits so that all around me can enjoy. Now, I can hardly wait to see if those silly Hillbilly tomatoes actually bear before winter sets in...I bought them at the last minute.

Thumbnail by Gracye
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

By the time it all ended we had 4"s of rain and 8"s of weeds. LOL Spent most of yesterday muddy and weeding. Ric

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric---

One consolation. After a few days of rain--the weeds are so much easier to pull up.

On the contrary--your lawn probably grew another 3" and now is in desperate need of mowing.
BUT--one cannot, easily, mow a wet lawn....

And--so it goes. Gotta take the good with the bad.....Gita

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Zucchini Bread, and a Zucchini/Fresh Tomato casserole - MMMmmm - recipe for casserole, please and thank you

Oooooh, zucchini/tomato casserole!?!? Me too please!! (and thank you!) =)

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

@Ric:

:-) Yeah, as soon as it cooled down I went out to enjoy my gardens and saw that most of that pre-heat wave weeding was just ... lost.

Still, now nice to not have everything looking like it's on death's door and to not have to worry about the well water vs plants.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Quote from speediebean :

Yes Ma'am, that's what we explain to our customers at work too, when they voice concerns about termites. That seems to be the biggest concern we hear about when it comes to organic (read: wood) mulches, that they actually **attract** termites, which of course is a fallacy. We go to great depths to explain how and why organic mulches are the best thing to use, just don't make the mulch deeper than 3 inches, tapering it to a thinner layer as it gets closer to, and then up against, the house... but sometimes people just insist upon going with rock anyway. **shrug**. Whatcha gonna do, eh?

AH! I think what I read was that it causes some soil problems - not pest problems. Of course, I'll never be able to find it again. :-}

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

New query:

Does anyone know how to best use a rain gauge? My hub has one that is too far away for anyone to see or bother emptying, so I bought a smaller one and put it outside the kitchen. But, it definitely did not record the actual rainfall. Spouse says "there are too many trees on this side."

Must a rain gauge be completely in the open to be accurate?

Oh, that's a very good question Sissy! I've had rain gauges on my "wish list" and am hoping to get a couple for my birthday (one for the front and one for the back)... I'm thinking, it depends on what you're trying to measure. If you want to measure how much rain a specific area is actually **getting**, (example: I want to know how much rain my tree-covered back shady area actually gets, what with all those tree branches in the way and all), then I would think ya just put the gauge where you want to measure. However, if you want to know how much rain has actually **fallen**, then it would have to be out in the open.

I hope that makes sense. ;)

Makes sense to me but I'm probably just skewed as well
( ^ :

I do think they have to be in the open. Then again, if you want to know how much rain got to 'the hosta under the maple tree' well then that's where the gauge would need to be eh?

Quote from sallyg :

Then again, if you want to know how much rain got to 'the hosta under the maple tree' well then that's where the gauge would need to be eh?

How'd you know that's where my Hosta is?? Have you been spying on me!? < ;) Heeheeheee
But seriously, you hit the nail on the head and I think you made it clearer too, thank you! =)

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

@Speediebean and SallyG:

Oh, how dumb of me! So, I'll get another and put it in a more open area for the full rainfall. Now I'm wondering if it would be worth it to have several here and there. Hmm

Oh Heavens to Betsy, nooooooo, that wasn't 'dumb' of you at all!!!! I think it's more of a "think outside the box" sort of thing... and my box is sorta octazoidal shaped, so I can sneak out of the corners real easy to do some 'creative thinking'. < =D Heck, I hadn't even thought if it at all, really, until you brought the question up, so it was actually very intelligent of you; you must have a tetragonal box you like to step out of to do good thinking! < =D

Personally, I think it's worth it to have enough to cover all the areas that may get different rainfall amounts. (that's easy for me to say though, I only have 2 areas, and the ones I want are cheap!) LOL!

Far as I know, the theory goes that no matter what straight sided container you use, the depth of rain will be pretty accurate. Cat food cans to straight five gal buckets.

Speedie- I have hosta 'there' too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.