SUMMER..What's happening in your neck of the woods???

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" sorry to hear about Gord's friend. I'll have to go look at weather in New Orleans, hard to believe it could be hotter than this, famous last words..lol

It's 95f (feels 106) forgot to put air on, hate to close up the windows but if I don't I'll not sleep tonight..beautiful breeze, almost feel a storm brewing but no doubt it will miss us again.

No fires here but if we soon don't get rain imagine there will be some. A hazard for sure, everything is soo dry. Dont think the corn is doing we'll this year, we'll be paying dearly for this weather.

Susan, bet you are tired today..just think few more weekends and you'll be off enjoying camping once more..so much fun!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - hope Gord's friend survives long enough for Gord to see him beforehand (I know that sounds weird.....) because I know Gord would feel terrible if he was not to say "Goodbye" to him.......

Well, not camping next weekend, but WILL be camping the next weekend! Not that far off!!!
Glad we can still have campfires......... I know some places in BC can't. And I imagine campgrounds in ON are having a tough time of it, too.
Yes, Marilyn - that IS what it's all about - a good time!
and yes, Betty - I am tired..... and not from work, either. They had me creating "stuffers" for envelopes, then stuffing the envelopes......... then stuffing them into Inter-office envelopes......... siiiiiiiiigh enough for all the UFA Cardlocks and Farm Stores in Alberta....... and that's saying alot. It's a good tired that I am - amazing how much and how many coolers we take for 2 people, 2 1/2 days........

Victoria Harbour, ON

Quick drop in this morning, hanging baskets and furries to feed.

Am hoping the torrential rain/winds/hail that hit Ottawa hasn't done mega damage to your gardens ViolaAnn.

Sad to say no rain in my neighborhood.

Gab when I get to the office

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Another hot humid day is starting to unfold here.
Thank goodness Lorna bought that ATV .. sure makes the watering gig easier !! Load up the back with watering cans and off we go, Gord has soaker hoses in the veg garden and an oscillating sprinker.
Smoke in the air here for sure.

Coolers and camping, they go hand in hand .. and, what can you do with no electricity? I remember when we bought our first REAL trailer and stayed in a fully serviced campground, sheesh, thought I had died and gone to heaven LoL

Sad to see Sally Ride (American Astronaut) passed away .. she was quite a fascinating lady.

Hope everyone has a great day!! Kind City had a torrential down pour yesterday .. Lorna's parents were sure happy.

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - we always get the same campsite - with water and power. IF the power went out, we could plug one fridge/cooler into Bob's truck, but only for 4 hours. Any more and it starts to drain the battery. But, we're only 2 1/2 hours from home in case of need.

I hadn't heard Sally Ride has passed...... yes, she was fascinating.

Sorry Betty - ..... wish I could send you rain......

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning,going to be one of those 'no rain days'! Weather watch for north (hope not in your region "m". Cluster of thunderstorms in Barrie region..so hoping it makes my town..

Busy weekend ahead, it's the Elvis Festival week in Collingwood so ive tickets for several of the events (love the Elvis Gospel Breakfast) and my SIL's 65th so won't be sitting all weekend . Will be a good doggie grandma and go mornings and evenings starting Saturday to feed and walk Sophie and Ned while family do part of the Trent.

Off to water the planters!

Rain GLORIOUS rain started falling here at 5am .. it's dark and brooding out, but, I won't have to water for a couple of days if this keeps up.

Gord's colleague/friend passed away last evening .. I'll tell him when he calls later today .. hate imparting that kind of news.

I see the Elvis phenomenon is happening in Saskatchewan as well Betty .. hope you have fun at it, and with walking Sophie and Ned.

I have a Hospice 'tag day' coming up on Saturday .. from 2-4 .. am so hoping it isn't too hot .. after this rain for 2 days we are supposedly back into the high temps .. perhaps the humidity will have moved on ..

Trying to arrange a 'pizza night' for DGD 's BDay .. she is turning 14 on the 29th .. but .. so many functions surrounding the celebration .. boggles the mind .. there's the 'GURL PARTY' on Friday evening, a sleepover of 8 young ladies at Brooklyns .. talk about raging hormones in one enclosed area !! Then a family party, and another party hosted by some of the young people she rides horses with .. where does old Granny fit in LoL ......

Trying to get the dogs out, neither one is too happy about the rain. I AM ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Quick, quick "M" go get your bathing suit on and run through the yard doing the happy dance! Lucky you..

Sorry to hear that Gord's friend died,will he come home earlier for the funeral?

You would almost think children these days are royalty..birthday celebration go on for weeks don't they. LOL at the hormones, wouldn't want to be the chaperone! Ahhh to be young..

Miss the grandchildren being young, they've busy lives now and difficult to have any time with them.

I'm hoping mid September I can get the 4 grandson's together and take them to Darien Lake N.Y. for the weekend, 3 have been gone all summer and not returning till school week..should phone their parents and book my time NOW. Put that on my 'to do' list for today..

The rain has stopped, but, we had a good 5 hours of steady downpour .. the dogs hated it, but, the grass and the gardens sucked it right up YAHOO !!!

Finally have plans for the Pizza night, it will be tonight .. suits me just fine .. and, I plan to ask the kids (big and small) to put away their hand held devices through supper !!!

Gord has yet to call .. I doubt he'll come back for Doug's funeral .. they were not 'hard and fast' friends, just work colleagues .. and we went out socially with him and his wife a few times. Betty, you'd love Donna .. she's an artist, works in oils and does very well .. she's kind of well known in this area, as well as Salt Spring Island BC where she and Doug had a winter residence. Sad .

Hope you get together and take your grandsons on the excursion Betty .. hard to find a spare moment with kids these days.

Off to walk the dogs a bit

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'm sure "M" you will be Gord's representative, am sure the family will understand. Pizza, something everyone loves

Hardgoing getting the adults as well as the kids to put all their electronics away..drives you crazy doesn't it!

Darien Lake is an amusement park in N.Y. so I'll give it a try..sometime it's easier taking Jeff's kids then Greg's kids re commitments but I want all 4..before you know it they'll not even contemplate coming out with old grandma lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning from rainy Barrie, oh happy days!!! Smilling from ear to ear..

left home and it was soft rain, just a mist really then as I got nearer to Barrie torrential rain, could barely even see the road..now I'm hoping we don't have same in my neck of the woods as likely it would flatten the gardens..we don't as for much now do we?

Working from home tomorrow as I do every Friday, wanted to go to Fabricland (thinking of Carol, she was always on the lookout for Fabricland sales) to get some lining for the bags I want to make DIL's for Christmas but don't want to get washed away .. you do know we are less than six months away, on the downswing of things, ok smack me if you want to but no playing this year I'll be done by end of October..

What are you all up to??

Someone mentioned the nearness of Xmas to me on July 25 .. FIVE MONTHS .. we ALL know how fast 5 months goes by !!
Funny, had lunch with Jo yesterday, and she was headed for Fabricland too .. and .. like you Betty, I thought of Carol. I think it a wonderful testament to a persons life when something like that happens ^_^

Hope your rain was OK .. you've waitied long enough for it .. we had warnings and advisories here, but nary a drop fell. In fact, starting Saturday, we will be back to temps in the high 30s .. UGggggggggggggg .. so .. back to watering.

Watched a 'sort of' good movie last night .. Albert Nobbs with Glenn Close .. odd movie .. but .. entertaining.
Off to town today to get some shopping done for the weekend .. will be doing the tag day for Hospice on Saturday for 2 hours in front of local LCBO .. sure hoping it's in the shade !!!

Best gest a move on

Enjoy your day

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all..

Flowers loved the rain, some of the taller painted daisies found their way to the ground, tall and lanky, top heavy so wasn't a surprise to loose some!

Originally they called for rain today but the sky is as blue as blue can be..grass is wet so will have to wait till late morning to go cut more of the spent flowers, tidy things up..have some marsh mallow and tickseeds if any of you want some..

Busy weekend ahead..SIL's 65th this evening and then Elvis in Collinwood, can't miss that now can I?

With working from home today I was in no hurry to get a move on, still in jammies and most of housework done, now I can play!

Have to be on duty until 3:00pm so thought I'd either take my sewing machine out or some stained glass and work on Christmas pressies...I know, too early to talk of such things.

"M" here is hoping you have great weather for the tagging, couldn't find a better place than in front of LCBO or grocery store. think they are calling for 30's here as well..how did the pizza party go?

Called to check up on her last night, they had to put their dog down yesterday, on Monday she was in a car accident, just starting to get mobile after her terrible fall a few months ago..feel badly for her.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all..

Absolutely glorious day out there..has the feel of fall in the air!
Only had the one downpour on Thursday, grou d still dry but can't take the LNG grass so it will be a citing morning for me.

Right now I'm in the dealership..had called in to ask and tell that seeing I'm taking this car to New Orleans and likely will be back with 7kl on it, having only just over 2kl on it now that it was better to do 1st oil change earlier than later..had different opinions from dealership..this mornimg they will just chech levels and tires etc and not do oil, suggest stopping on my way home when I near the 5kl and have it done if they have the specialty oil..other than that wait..I want to be guaranteed though if I wait will it cancel out my warrantee?

Was going to Elvis festival this afternoon but everyone cancelled out so might wait and do the gospel breakfast, Ann and Darlene are suppose to go, Cathy cancelled but it's easy enough for me to get rid of it tomorrow morning at the venue.

Then it's off to the grounds to see all competing for top "Elvis"

What are you up to???

Gorgeous day here as well Betty .. 10C at 7am .. but.. expected to reach the low 30s today .. MAYBE rain tomorrow but not much.

Tag Day for Hospice outside the LCBO .. I really don't know why I agreed to do this .. I felt so 'odd' the last time I did it and swore I wouldn't do it again .. but .. here I am .. seems to me people feel almost 'pressed' into donating something because we are standing there, I know that's how I feel. Ah well , it'll be over before we know it ..

Went online at 7am .. no internet, checked everything on my end of the line and all was A OK .. called the provider and it was Hydro Ones 'fault' .. anyway, it was back on by 9am.

Watched the opening of the Olympics .. man .. L O N G or what !! But, the 'Lighting of the Flame' sequence was just awesome .. I sincerely hope and pray the Games go off without a hitch.

Hope you enjoy the Elvis Day Betty ^_^

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - too bad for the cancellations - hope everything goes better soon - you need your Elvis "Fix" lol
Enjoy your Elvis Day!!

~M~ glad you're back online! How frustrating and "lost" I feel when I'm "cut off" from my friends.........

Beautiful day today - and now I'm trying to get some stuff cleared out of the house - ie: stuff that's garbage, but Bob keeps bringing home wanting to "repurpose" it lol siiiiiiiiiigh

Tomorrow, at 1pm, I'm going to take 3 hours of lessons on how to ride a bicycle!!! A bit nervous, but the teacher is experienced, so I'm going to be fine. Just have to think about bike shorts and gloves....... have several bikes to choose from, plus a helmet! I'll be fine, but will fill you in on the details afterwards........

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Well, daughter's house is listed - http://www.6wellsstreet.com/

The septic tile bed on the new price has to be replaced; so they've negotiated a lower price on the house, essentially splitting the cost. House inspection was OK. And now theirs is on the market.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Ann - love the kitchen and bathroom - large tub!! Aren't these the two rooms that everyone is most interested in?!?!
Lovely home

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

They actually had an offer before the listing was posted. But the people want in mid-August and they can't get into their new place until end of August. Open house tomorrow - and the fact that there's been an offer on the house should focus people's minds. If that ends up being the best offer, I expect both sides can negotiate some.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Weather has finally cooled off here and at a more reasonable temp. Speaking of moving here are two photo's of the Babes in the nest, yes there are 4. Then one who is in a planter of mine. I really got the feeling when I took the photo that he was saying "ok I know if I just look the other way she won't be able to see me". It only took a day and the little one was up in a tree squawking for food.
Alberta Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52 Thumbnail by annabell52
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Ann - an offer already........ that's fantastic!
and for the sake of 1/2 month, the people offering could stay at a relatives or friend's house and put their stuff in storage or some of it in your DD's house. ! There's always a solution, and room for negotiation.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, heading out shortly for Elvis Gospel breakfast, they have had great weather once again and am sure the festival committe are thrilled with the numbers coming into town..

Yikes, skunk somewhere around..don't want to let furries out till a bit lighter. With Sailor and Missy being black do you think they wouldn't spray thinking they are a sibling? Likely not lol

Alberta Ann, what fabulous photo's..just love the planter one...you will submit into the next photo contest I hope.. How did your gardens fare in this heat??

ViolaAnn, what a lovely home..a few weeks isn't terribly long to make up some type of alternative living, even if they were to each give up a week..storage of household goods, could have a pod delivered, filled, stored and delivered on date of closing. Here's hoping they will get a better offer today

Susan, don't want to hear of scrapes/bruises resulting from your ride...safe travels and I'm sure you'll be biking everywhere after today!

"M". How did you make out with your tagging yesterday? Sometimes it would be cheaper and easier to throw $50 into the box and not stand out in the sunshine..

Time to run, enjoy your day

Brr bit chilled this morning, windows open and you can feel fall in the air ..

Was lookin

AlbertaAnn .. I'm with Betty, I think BOTH of your 'Baby Bird' pics should be submitted to the contest .. just beautiful pics .. course, I love Robins ^_^

ViAnn .. I wish your DD and DSinlaw all the best. It's a very stressful time this moving time, well worth it in the end though if all works out, and, it usually does.

TagDay .. well .. I collected ! $400.00 !! during my 2 hour stint!! I do believe people prefer to drop a five dollar bill in the box, rather than fish around for change .. and .. I also can see the effect HOSPICE care has had on people, heard many good stories .. BUT .. standing in the shade of the store for 2.5 hours was NOT good .. the temp was 30C and the breeze warm .. and, like it or not .. my right hip got very cranky .. I sent Lorna back to sit in the vehicle after about 40 minutes .. another volunteer arrived at 3pm .. and I left at 4pm .. we picked up some Chinese Food and I was SO glad to be headed home !! Am thinking I'll only do TagDays in the cooler temps !!

Susan .. I am assuming (never a good thing) that you are referring to a standard bicycle, not a motorcycle? Good luck with that, I loved riding a bike .. find it too dangerous now though .. people appear to have no respect for bicyclers .. plus, I find so many folks love to 'speed on'. !

Weatherwise here in the NorthWest .. we are craving rain. It is predicted later today, but from whence it will come is anyones best guess. Perhaps the West from Winterpeg, or the southe from Minnesota .. we're not fussy, just want enough to soak the beds. To ensure its arrival I went out and watered all the patio plants and container tomato plants early this morning ..

My DGD is 14 today .. as always, I have a hard time believing she can possibly be a teenager already .. I worry for her .. even though she is quite level headed and my son and daughter in law keep close watch on both children .. it's the outside forces like PEER PRESSURE that I worry about ... guess we all have had to deal with it ..

Take care everyone

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - no scrapes or bruises - didn't fall off once.
Marilyn - yes, a bicycle, not a motorcycle lol Never learned as a kid, cuz my parents wouldn't buy me one until I learned how........ siiiiiiigh can't learn without my own bike...

as for the bike lesson today:
As for me, and my bike riding lesson:
phew........... 3 hours of walking up hills, coasting down hills (without pedals, no less), and learning about helmets, the ABC check before riding, and all about bike holders for cars, and chains, etc.........
very warm out today, and kept flopping into shade and drinking iced tea with lemon........
I got "95% there" in learning.
When she put pedals on, all I could think was..... "watch my balance, steer, AND pedal - yikes!)
I "hit the wall" and couldn't get the pedalling right - either they were behind my leg and I couldn't get my foot backwards, or I could get one foot on and not the other........ after 2 1/2 hours I was tired, and couldn't do anymore. after the last 1/2 hour (total of 3 hours!!!) I was bushed!
I will be practicing this week, in the same park after work, with Bob - he was there the whole lesson, so he knows exactly "where" I am with this. I hope by next weekend I will be well and truly riding my bike :-)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

DD's house is SOLD!

Great news ViAnn ..hope all goes well with the packing AND the move ..

Susan .. it sounds as though you had quite the lesson! Holy cow .. 3 hours is a long time. I do so hope with practice you WILL be riding with confidence soon.

Rain GLORIOUS rain !! We had a couple of thunder storms pass through yesterday, and rain fell steadily for about 2 hours and then again during the night. Looks as though we may have more to come as well .. YAY !!!

Lorna sees a physiotherapist today for a 'pre orthopedic surgeon assessment' .. really am stumped as to why with Lorna having had 2 MRIs and 5 xrays that all confirm a meniscal tear in her right knee. .. guess it's just the order of the day.

Betty .. how was the Elvis day on Sunday.

Have a great week everyone

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Moved us over....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273243/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.