SUMMER..What's happening in your neck of the woods???

Victoria Harbour, ON

Not a way to start your day "m" filling up the gas tank, talk about high prices! Went on the trip calculated..stats say that the car I just bought can do round trip to New Orleans for $250. Of course add few more dollars for the non direct routes I take but still affordable.

Saddened by the news that we lost 3 young children due to drowning in two separate happenings..brother and sister(under 10) and then a 12 year old boy..said they notified his parents so either he was at camp or with friends..hate to say it,mthere is no reason, absolutely none for children these days not to be able to swim..dont have to be near water, schools, camps, YMCA. Etc all provide opportunities..that being said, all mine swim like fish and accident is an accident but it gives them a chance.

Blue sky here, not a sign of a cloud in the sky..leaves aren't moving so very still..did water the gardens though, quick spray and some were drooping pretty bad.

Doubtful your ses would have taken in this drought do you think?

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Sharing an email I just rec'd .. pretty darned accurate too ^_^

IT'S SO HOT in Ontario.....

the birds have to use potholders to pull
the worms out of the ground.

.....the trees are whistling for the dogs.

.....the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance

.....hot water comes from both taps.

.....you can make sun tea instantly.

.....you learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.

.....the temperature drops below 90 F and you feel a little chilly.

.....you discover that in July it only takes two fingers to steer your
car (one on each hand).

.....you discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.

.....you actually burn your hand opening the car door.

.....you break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 5:30 A.M.

.....your biggest motorcycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out
and end up lying on the
pavement and cook to death"?

.....you realize that asphalt has a liquid stage.

.....the potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one
out and add butter.

.....the cows are giving evaporated milk.

.....farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from
laying boiled eggs.

IT'S SO DRY in Ontario.....that the Baptists are starting to baptize
by sprinkling, the Methodists are using wet-wipes, the Presbyterians
are giving rain checks, and the Catholics are praying for the wine to
turn back into water!

Hope that made ya smile :-)

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'm so laughing..lol
Who in the world thinks ups these things, quick minds!

I was up so early that I was productive for the best part of the day..other than soldering a hinge and latch I got a stained glass jewelry box done for my SIL Marg who is turning 65. Then Larry from car dealership called and asked did I still have the snow tires for the Aveo as the young lad ho bought my car would purchase them. The dad has been and gone and now I'm minus the tires..not fond of having to buy new ones this year..will be a Merry Christmas Betty!

Sooo lazy, think I'll run down to Foodland and get a rotisserie chicken

Sharing some pics ... this years Day Lilies and Asiatic Lilies and the veg garden ..

Storm on the way ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

They are gorgeous "m"' no luck with Lillie's since the Lilly bug killed them all, last year same, this year same so end of Lillie's and I was enjoying collecting them.

Do you find your veggie garden is going to produce this year considering temps?

Just booked Elvis Gospel Breakfast on July 29th and Elvis sounds on Saturday July 28th..not sure who will end up going but I bought for 4' easy to get rid of if nobody decides to go..be prepared is my moto

The Day Lillies here 'made it' through a growing season without being eaten by DEER. If there is ONE good thing about having a bear about, it's the fact the deer stay away.

This weeks Dave's Newsletter shows pics of the 'nasties' lurking in the gardens .. good article.

Started raining here about 5am, and, according to the radar it will last the day .. WOO HOO ^_^

Hope you have a super time at the Elvis Breakfast, I know it's a yearly thing for you :-)

Have a great week everyone

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ohhh you got my rain!!!! Calling for the hotest day of the year tomorrow, high humidity along with it..

The humidity here is so high this morning I had to have my windshield wipers going, couldn't see a thing!

Yes, I enjoy the Collingwood Elvis Festival..some of the greatest entertainers, was worried my trip to New Orleans would be same time but Paul changed our close down to a week later so can do both.

I've no deer/bears but what I do have is zillions of black squirrels..wondered by everytime I put the bird feed outside it was empty within the hour..on the weekend I sat out, now I know why..

Enjoy your rain

What a WONDERFUL relief from the heat today .. cool and clammy, but welcomed.

Attaching a pic of the dogs looking out THEIR gate at us working in the gardens ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

ahhh "M" they are just so adorable!!
Hot here, just getting ready to leave the office, likely I'm in for a surprise leaving a/c to the heat of the day!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy Birthday ViolaAnn..hope your day has been special in every way!! Maybe a hard to find as a pressie?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Happy Birthday, ViolaAnn!!

aww M - those pooches are adorable - THEIR gate, eh? lol

Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY wishes VAnn .. hope you had a wonderful day ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thank you for the birthday wishes. Didn't do much - early aquafit. Then we took the DGTwins to the library - they are here with us for a week. And to Chapters when we didn't find what DGS was looking for at the library. Quiet afternoon and I made dinner or got it ready - BBQ chicken with a salad and birthday cake. DD and DSIL came over for dinner but left early as they need the time to work on their house. They've put an offer on a different house, but it's conditional on selling theirs and it's not ready to sell.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, no air to breath today
Actually glad I'm in a cold office, imagine that, glad I'm at work lol

ViolaAnn, glad you had family to celebrate the big day...are homes selling quickly in your region??

WHEW .. another hot and humid day here as well .. and, always have something that HAS to be accomplished .. today Lorna had her Hygienist appt .. tomorrow Gord has an opthamologist appt at 8am .. never ever gets in to see this fella til about 10, and then it's a 10 minute visit .. but.. since they put drops in his eyes, he needs a driver, that'd be me .

Housing market here in TBay is slow I think .. I know newly built homes in some of the newer subdivisions are STARTING at $350,000.

LOVE Chapters .. not only because of the books, but they have some different items suitable for gifts. Our grandchildren always get a gift certificate for Chapters in their stocking at Xmas.

Off to BBQ some chicken .. no way am I turning the oven on !!!

Take care

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Houses in Calgary are beating the norm - prices are going up again!! Great time to sell, NOT a great time to buy......

VAnne - Glad you spent time with the family on your b-day! Hope your DD and DSIL get the house they want, at the price they need!

Looking forward to the weekend!! Yaaaaaaaay camping!! Going to Pincher Creek, Alberta

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hard to say about homes in this area. The gov't is laying off all sorts of civil servants and I think the market is slow. But where DD and DSIL are is very close to where the main RCMP headquarters now is and their street is a quiet one. Their house is almost 8 years old - was new when they moved in. They are currently at https://maps.google.com/maps?q=6+Wells+Street,+Ottawa,+ON,+Canada&hl=en&ll=45.276961,-75.707618&spn=0.011898,0.025299&sll=45.458635,-75.603265&sspn=0.01186,0.025299&oq=6+wells+st&hnear=6+Wells+St,+Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario+K2G+6X8,+Canada&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=45.276961,-75.707618&panoid=gDsEkA0drmfH1vC3E_y1KQ&cbp=12,216.87,,0,1.3 (the red brick ) and hope to move to http://www.zoocasa.com/en/real_estate/1594564-8-Queen-Anne-Cr-Ottawa-Ontario-K2C3H1 It's just a couple of km up Prince of Wales Dr. from where they presently are.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Lovely current home, VAnne! And they want to move closer to parliament? lol
House prices are a lot cheaper in Ottawa than in Calgary. Our median price is 479,609.
Sure is a lovely home they're hoping to get. Here's praying they get the home they want!

Deep breath in .. imagine that .. NO HUMIDITY :-)
Have been able to spend most of the day outside, and ENJOY it .. 30C+ will be back again starting Friday .. spare me.

Hope your DD and DSinL have good luck with the home purchase Ann .. a stressful time .. but .. worth it in the end once the dust settles.

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Love the subdivision ViolaAnn, gorgeous homes..nice that the children will not have to move schools! Still a move though, what a tremendous amont of work that will be. My ex DIL did the same, wanted to be in a cul de sac..doesn't regret doing it.

Oh happy days, actually have all the windows open, lovely breeze ..I best not do the happy dance as more hot days to come.

SIL Suzanne just left, came to work on her sister's 65th birthday gift, stained glass lamp, wow mega work! I'm not sure she will have it finished..hmm not sure why, she started it for her 60th. Lol

Guess it is that time of night...should sleep well being able to sleep with windows open!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

That'"s great, VAnne - would be nice for the kids not to move from their neighbourhood!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ah yes...... sleeping with natural air - looking forward to that this weekend. Every time we come home from camping, I can NOT sleep without opening the window.
It's cool enough now that we've shut off the a/c, and Bob opened the window. In about 10 min I'm off to sleep.......

Looks as though it'll be another NON humid day here .. just spoke with my BFF, Jo-Anne, she's visitng her sister and family in Frnace, says the highest the temp has gotten in her 2 weeks there, so far, is 26C .. so .. it has been pleasant.
She arrives back in TBay on Saturday and will be met with heat and humidity ..

Off to the border later today to pick up a parcel .. ordered some shoes .. haven't ever done that before, so, we'll see how it turns out.
Also ordered some Crocs from place here in Canada. Bought a new pair last week and love them .. a nice style, and comfortable, but, the store here only offers them in black or brown, I wanted a light pink for summer .. went online, and, voila .. there they were ^_^

ViAnn .. busy looking for, I think, Townline Rd., my nephew and his family live there after having lived in Belgium for 7 years .. he's in the Military .. they had a home built in a new subdivision outside Ottawa .. I'm cluelss as to which area though. They really do like Ottawa though.

Have a great day everyone

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Maybe 10th Line Rd? A lot of building around there. Pics from yesterday's outing to 1000 Islands are up at http://violaann.smugmug.com/Travel/Thousand-Islands-and-Boldt/24261127_qV9fZr

Victoria Harbour, ON

Gorgeous photo's! OMG look at those homes, something else to look at but would sure hate to have to clean all those rooms...guess if you can afford a home like that there is no problems with having someone do the cleaning right? Your grandchildren are adorable

Lovely pics Ann .. looks like it was a nice outing ..

Got my parcel from the US .. it was a pair of shoes .. :-( about 1/2 a size too small, so, will send them back. Disappointing, but, not the end of the world.
Seems 'SHOE STORES' that stand alone, not WalMart or Sears etc are few and far between now .. gone are Bata and Agnew Surpass .. think the shoe stores in the Malls cater to the 'younger crowd' .. I certainly am over my penchant for wearing 3-4" high heels, just want a nice pair of lower heeled shoes .. my 40year anniversary from nursing is coming up at the end of August .. once J0-Anne gets back from Europe I'll take her out shopping with me .. she's a whizz at it ^_^
I am a very poor shopper ..

Cooking Marlin steaks for supper .. on the BBQ .. have made a marinade and am hoping everything turns out well.

TTFN

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Marilynne - I think I'm just gonna repair my old shoes for the rest of my life. Nobody makes them narrow enough any more.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lordy, been looking for good sandals for my trip, already into boots as summer is over, who says? Yep, was at the mall and all the shoes they had I'd wear for an hour and that would be that, back would kill me.

What a lovely breeze..with it being bearable in the house decided I would pick up corn from garden center...new corn so likely not a lot of kernels..

Marlin?? Not a fish eater but imagine its tasty...wow 40 years, big do?

Y U K !!! .. I would not recommend Marlin steaks on the BBQ
It's a very firm fish when cooked .. the same consistency as solid white tuna in the can .. but .. I just didn't care for it. Gord thought it was good .. but no RAVE reviews .. ahh well .. have wanted to try it for awhile now, and now I know.
It likely would have tasted better in some tropical setting ^_^

Ann .. I just want a nice pair of serviceable shoes .. preferably bone or off white .. the journey begins LoL
I'm a B width, kind of standard, but, a size 10 !!

Off to watch Corrie .......

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

VAnne - those pictures are fabulous! I really enjoy going to places like that, but they're few and far between. Lougheed House in Calgary is the only mansion we have. There used to be 6 others, but they were demolished for the sake of progress........ how sad.
That one mansion really Does look haunted...... but the kids looked like they had a good time - certainly Bob did!
So, the Boldt mansion building was stopped when his wife passed? poor man - no heart left in him to finish, I suppose. How nice that our generation is completing the job - what a work of art, eh?

Victoria Harbour, ON

That sucks "m"' thought for sure you would be having seconds

Have any of you been to Casa Loma in Toronto?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

~M~ you watch Corrie? kewl - we usually get to watch it in the evenings, and if not, then before church on Sundays (but 5 HOURS on Sunday? Yikers!!)

GADS .. my Browser 'home page' is CNN .. every morning it fires up I never know what I'll see .. this morning .. MORE tragedy .. 14 slain at a movie theatre in Colorado at the premier of the new BatMan movie .. The Star is abuzz with stories relating to the shootings in Scarborough and the house filled with 'bombs and bunkers' in Barrie .. sometimes I think one of my worst traits is my desire to 'be in the loop' as far as world news goes, but, at the same time, taking the good with the bad is becoming harder to do !!!

Corrie .. ahhhhhhhhhh .. like a Calgon bath to an aching body LoL ... it starts here at 7pm .. so plenty of time to clean up from supper and sit back and relax and watch the 'goings on on the Street' .. have never been a Soap Opera fan, but, class Coronation Street a titch higher than a Soap LoL .. if it's good enough for the Queen, it's good enough for me !!

Re the Marlin steaks, disappointing yes, but, at least I now know .. am thinking perhaps there might be a better way to cook them .. ie .. 'poach them' .. but, I'm calling it good .. the dogs and cat will be able to snack on the left over steak .. better than throwing it out ..

The heat is back here .. 31C today (with humidty), and 34C tomorrow .. am thinking it's a stay at home weekend ..

TGIF everyone

~M~

PS .. visited Casa Loma years ago .. have heard it has flallen into disrepair ..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, yes, woke up early and the shooting was update was on, how very sad, even a babe..what possesses these souls to do such things...as for the Barrie situation, not far from where I work..imagine, finally being caipught for a murder done in 70's and then to find the bunkers and bombs..think his stint overseas may have damaged his thinking process.

Put a sweater on this morning when I went to water the pretties..almost felt like fall but heat will be much as yours for the weekend, best enjoy the morning before it arrives..

So love working from home Fridays..can't go anywhere until 3 but get to play and get housework done, that is a plus!

Didn't cut the grass last weekend as it was soo dry, looks like heck so really should cut it, project for tonight.

Not sure about your gardens but I've so much to cut and deadhead...imagine, soon the gardens will be done, how did that come about?

Was at CasaLoma last year, lots of construction going on to upgrade the facility, new facelift!

Susan enjoy your camping weekend, am sure both you and Bob need the getaway.

"m" watch Coronation street from time to time..still some old actors/actresses in it..long running..how did those furries enjoy the marln!

Time to make myself useful

Safe travels to Susan and Bob re the camping trip :-)
I see your temps are nice .. better than the heat wave here.

Betty .. Ken and Deidre Barlow are still in Corrie as well as Rita and many other oldies (but goodies)
I sometimes miss it for a few days and watch it and never miss a beat ..
A colleague of mine has travelled to England twice to watch a taping of the show, and, in Nova Scotia there is a die hard group she belongs to that meets twice a year at a Pub they name 'The Rovers' for the evening .. they have even had some of the Corrie stars come to help celebrate .. she LIVES for those get togethers ..

Mow the lawns day, laundry, and weeding .. and awaiting the visit of a friend from Kingston .. she'll be dropping by 'sometime' with her Mom and her 2 daughters .. been awhile since I've seen her .. she is a colleague and a friend ^_^

Off I go ..

Nice to hear Casa Loma is being fixed up !

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wow you sure have put in a day..how exciting to get visits from old friends..

I'm cleaning areas of the gardens, saving seed to share..had a perm this mornimg and a nice set..out sweating in the gardens and talk about the frizzies..

Was just talking to Jeff and Julie, they are now on pontoon boat vs their kayak as Julie's back is bad this week, said they were actually cold last night..almost feels of fall in the air today

Hope Julie's back gets rested up a bit by switiching to a pontoon boat .. nothing worse (almost) than a sore back !!

Well .. I guess I am going to stop 'NOT LOOKING', and, admit that YES we do now have EARWIGS in NorthWestern ON :-(
Disgusting wee beasites .. I am almost afraid to move any pots etc that are in shade .. they come running out, to me they look like a mini Scorpion !!
Even Gord has voiced his displeasure and he's the typa fella that hurts nothing .. carries spiders from one places to another .. anyway .. we have them.

Beauty day all round .. visit with my friend and her 2 daughters was brief, but so nice ..

Off to tackle 3 games of Scrabble

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Back from camping........ Had a great time, as per always!!
tired, dirty, and wanting a BATH........... gonna go for one, right now......
chat later!!

Nice to hear you had a good time Susan .. that's what it's all about ^_^

ANOTHER hot and humid day .. kinda smokey outside as we have, from what I hear, 70 forest fires burning in the area. Most caused by lightning strikes.

Gord left for Wisconsin today, he's gone to visit his bud and do some fishing .. intense heat down that way.
He left with kind of mixed feelings as one of his firefighter friends is in a 'bad way' in hospital with a very poor chance of surviving a stroke he suffered over the weekend.

Best go and shut up some windows and pull some blinds ..

Have a great week everyone

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.