My Daylilies are terrible this year............

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Hang in there Ladies !! "Life goes on". You are all inspiration for all women out there and men too. Your strength and resilience inspires us all, with or without ailments. Just celebrated nine yrs as a transplant recipient 7-13-12. Despite everything life is good. Just need to start thanking the ALMIGHTY more consistently. Need to also work on being a better husband and person. This mean less time in the garden ! BFG!! Mike

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

Glad that all of you who experienced bumps along life's road are still with us here. Hope you all have many, many years left to garden.

Mike, I am curious. What is that plant? You better keep taking care of God's creations. Who else will do it.

Am I the only one who have problems with pollinating DL Tets this year?. It was difficult last year but this year is worse, even early in the morning before going to work. I have only managed a few crosses that took. Meanwhile, I have iris seed crosses maturing all over the place. I know it is the heat, 90 degrees for 2 or more weeks. This is our August temps we are now getting, started in June.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Mike, What is that thing???

Linda

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the wonderful words, Mike. That looks like a Peruvian daffodil.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Also called Spider Lily. Bought at Menards about 4yrs ago. Multiplies quite well. The tag with the scientific name is somewhere in the garage. When I come across it I will post it.
World Class Oddity and Big Smile

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Good for you Mike!!!

Blomma, I am having trouble with dips and tets this summer. Some plants that were quite fertile last year are not setting pods this year. Mapping Pennsylvania hasn't even given me a flower that has a stigma yet, pollen but no stigma. Wierd.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Hemlady Elma Tipton has done that on a few blooms for me.
Blomma, I guess that I will have to garden a little faster to achieve my goals. LOL!
Pack Hunter

This message was edited Jul 15, 2012 5:14 AM

Wyoming, MN

Blomma, my plants are beautiful but crosses I have made have not taken. I only have one plant so far with op pods on it.

Gary

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Found cut-out of plant info that I saved.

Well Mike, that depends on what goal/s you have LOL!

Pretty plant but not for WY. Shucks!

Glad to know I am not the only one not getting a lot of crosses. Almost every new or nearly so, daylily are blooming so I am rushing around getting photos first, crosses after while still cool.

I have lots of DL seedlings from 2009 that are beginning to bloom, and 2011 growing in my nursery garden. Below are a few of the seedlings that bloomed. Some from LA. The row of seedlings were planted May 30, 2010, the day I took the photo. They are much larger now.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Blomma your sdlgs are nice. The first and the fourth one is my fav. The Daffodil above will grow in your zone. I dig and bring it in for the winter. It over winters well indoors.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Mike, I love that PACK HUNTER. I love a lot of Mahieu's daylilies.

Blomma, I like the same seedlings that Mike voted for.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen the two plants that I got this spring bloomed. I wanted to add some tall ones by the south fence. I currently have PH, Give Me Eight, Sherwood Gladiator and Jolly Red Giant (believe I got this one from you) in that location.Recently digged out some Iris and spring blooming Anemone. Planted three hibiscus that I started from seed in the back. Planted some reblooming G/Iris in the middle and daylilies in the front. I had a hibiscus that I started from seed this spring bloomed. It,s a long blooming white one.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Mike, I don't sell Jolly Red Giant, but I do sell Jolly White Giant. I just looked up JRG, and it looks like a nice one. I have Jolly Pink Giant, too.

I have one hardy hibiscus, and one tropical one. Would like to get more hardy ones. They really are nice.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen, I did get JWG from you for sure. I can send you some seeds when I harvest them this fall.
Jolly Red Giant - first year plant
Last pic of the white one from seed

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Hibiscus seeds Karen.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, seeds would be nice, Mike. Are they easy? I saw some hibiscus at a nursery today. They were about $20.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen they are very easy.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice.

Karen

Warners, NY

Large lumpectomy Monday. Why is it something always happens to make the cheese more binding?? Sunday parked in a large super market lot and out of all the hundreds of cars parked there someone in a 1995 Dodge backed into our car and when we came out the front bumper was on the blacktop. I think we both were stunned as I had to get her to the Surgery Center Monday--she started bawling. Very nice, competent, lady cop pulled a bungee cord out of her trunk and handed us the accident report and we drove away---bumper held up by a cord to the windshield wipers---I wish I could laugh a little right now but I can't . --we can't seem to joke about her two sizes now---Surgeon said a lump the size of a golf ball--ended up at least a chunk as big as a tennis ball so we are hoping his reputation for getting clean margins to his cuts holds true this time. Actually I think we are gradually decompressing and getting back to our usual chaos. I am going to find a recipe for a gluten free chocolate cake Saturday for my 38 year old son and work in the garden a bit when I'm not sitting with Herself. I take my daylily seedling tray for a walk to the picnic table daily and only about two out of 38 seeds did not germinate. Planning on potting them up, getting them in a seedling bed by mid September--just enough gardening to keep me busy when I'm no trying to keep the house running for a while. At least I can cook even if it's only a few things meat loaf, meatloaf and meatloaf.----------------------Weedy

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wishing you both all the best and hope things certainly go better.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Weedy, same here.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

I was fortunate Weedy, as I CHOSE a bilateral mastectomy rather than go through the business of "clean margins" and different sizes. I had met a lady in a Susan G Komen walk that had both removed and her reasons were the same. It helped me to make the right decision .....for me.

God Bless and watch over Herself!

Linda

Thanks for compliments. Yes, I too like the 1st and 4th seedlings

Weedy, hope everything went ok with your wife.

I am finally getting some DL pods but not as many as I hoped. Our weather is still in the upper 80's and lower 90's. However the nights have cooled down and I can "smell" fall around the corner. The DL blooms are opening later in the morning since it is cooler. Meanwhile I can't wait around, got to leave for work. I have saved every pollen of the DL I want to use for crossing. That came handy this morning. Had only 7 DL cultivars to do. A few still have buds. I will cross till the very end. Have 4 more Iris pods to pick, then done.

Seedsower, the second photo is from seeds you sent me. Bedovin's Tattoo x Untangle My Heart. Thought you would like to see. It has tiny red dots on white

The first photo is from purchased seeds. The last 2 seedlings are from seeds and are both double blooms.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Calling all hem experts. I have 2 questions.

1] Is there a trick to cross TETRAPLOIDS introductions. I purchased TETRA DRAGON'S EYE from Bob.
2] Another BETTER YET is a TETRAPLOID DOUBLE (see photo). That one did set 3 pods. However, I noticed that the blooms had no regular stamens with pollen. There was some pollen grown on the petals rather than stamen. WHY?

Inquiring minds wants to know, LOL

Thumbnail by
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I am just beside myself over that last one. Does it double every time. Really nice clear color.

As for crossing tets, no trick. Jut make sure its under 90 and you cross it with another tet, of course. Some just wont set pods, but have fertile pollen.
As for the pollen growing on the petal, Im guessing the stamen was just fused onto the petal. Im hard presed to get a double that that doesnt happen with.

Do you know the cross of that last one.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I really like the #3 picture in the next to last post. And I don't like doubles usually. That is saying a lot!

gardenglory,
The last double is BETTER YET (Joiner 2003) purchased from Blueridge. Cross is SEEDLING x JOHN KINNEBREW. I crossed it and it has 3 seed pods ripening. All the flowers were double. I bought it last year so this year is the first flowering. I love it.

Below is another photo of it.

Catlin, yes, I like that one also and is a keeper. Cross is SILOAM DOUBLE CLASSIC x LUCKY PIERRE from purchased seeds.

2nd photo is SWEET SUGAR CANDY
3rd is BACK DRAFT

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Warners, NY

There should be a daylily fertility clinic as there are all sorts of different reasons they don't form seeds. Rosea is supposed to be self and within the clone infertile, they apparently crossed different clones, triploids have something called triploid block not to mention gametes of odd combinations of chromosomes but if you are patient (or obsessed) you can sometimes get seeds with wild pollen (ditch lily) if you spend an entire Summer daubing pollen---although I can't say much for the seedlings, they looked wilder than ditch lily. But I had fun---in 1987. The last few years I have been trying to get seeds from Ed Murray-- there is a cultivar from wild ditch lily X old Ed that I may buy although I buy very few except when I just can't resist. There always seems to be some plant you just can't do without--and then it dies or takes over the place---I have over a hundred square feet of wild phlox that I rustled and I have accepted the fact that it will choke out anything so I just enjoy the butterflies--and a hummingbird that came so close I could hear him chirp this morning. Ed crosses with tets and sometimes dips and as often as not the pods just fall off just as they form and fall off wild ditch lilies. But this year I have thirty six children or grandchildren of Ed Murray including eighteen from Wild Horses as that is the only tet I think I grow. ( I have a few I can't identify and I may have daubed a little pollen in passing so there is a great deal of Who's your daddy seedlings in this yard) One old seedling from years back-----Pardon Me met Ed--------------------------------------------------------------------Weedy

Thumbnail by weedyseedy Thumbnail by weedyseedy
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I have a friend who had one breast removed from cancer. She had first had a lumpectomy done, but later had to have the whole thing removed. She said she wished she had done it in the first place. Hope everything goes well for you DW, Weedy. Sorry about your troubles. I will keep you guys in prayers and thoughts.

Blomma, those seedlings are really nice. Love the double with a hint of yellow. Also the the stippled one. Better Yet is gorgeous. Might have to add that to my wish list.

Nice red seedling, Weedy. I have several Pardon Me seedlings that I really like.

Karen

Warners, NY

Lumpectomy not enough---mastectomy week after next. I try to get out into the garden and I have daylily seedlings to plant and Spring blooming bulbs are in . It's still a trying time.------------------Weedy

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh boy, sorry to hear that Weedy. Tell your significant other that prayers are being offered for her.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Sorry to hear DW has to go through that crap twice! That is why I opted the first time for the mastectomy. Hopefuly this will take care of that blasted disease once and for all.

There are a lot of us "survivors" around, so she is more than welcome to ask questions and get as educated as she can about the breast cancer.

I'm here and I have "survived" for 11 years and still counting! BTW, I had the second mastectomy the following year just to prevent another occurance.

Linda

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I had a lumpectomy 7 years ago so I can answer any questions too.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Weedy, we are praying for DW and the family. We are aware that this affects everyone. When you love someone truly, their pain is your pain.
Mike

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thoughts and prayers from me too.

Pam

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Prayers going out to you and your DW Weedy, as the big day approaches. Hoping she won't have to go through chemo.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Way behind on all my threads - but sending prayers your way Weedy for your DW. I hope that the surgery went well !

Mike, I know I am WAYYYY behind but on July 20, you posted some pics of hardy hibiscus. Is the first Peppermint Schnapps? I have that one and it has bloomed like wildfire since May! I kept thinking it would surely quit blooming eventually and it has slowed down but still has probably 12 - 15 blooms a day on it! Love it!! I was curious what the other two were? I like the white one with the red eye!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, i don't believe it is PS. Bought three plants years ago as mixed. I never researched their names. The white one I started from seed this spring. All three are blooming. Got the seeds from a nice lady last fall. It was blooming into October. That's why I wanted it.

Warners, NY

Surg Tues, home Wednesday, I don't believe they send patients home this soon. Seems to be doing well though--would you believe I took the dressing off this evening and am emptying the drainage tube. She has got a long way to go, I think, before she can accept this--difficult for men, I think, to fathom the feelings. Blasted drought continues and daylilies look awful. but I'm not having a lot of time to be in the garden anyway. Good thing I can cook------fried chicken tonight and threw a couple of potatoes in the oven. Not certain how sons, 37 and 38 are understanding this. They seem a bit off the wall and youngest (her "baby") keeps coming out until told by our Dr to stay away as he has a "stomach bug". What a year. I can't do anything with this dried up clay and I want to move some perennials and daylilies and I may kill myself taking a couple trees down but thank you for your prayers and thoughts, her church has their prayer team going at it too----must be doing some good as Surgeon thinks he got it all out.---------------------------------------Weedy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.