My Daylilies are terrible this year............

Weedy, though I am a bit late to send prayers, I am so glad everything turned out ok. You are quite a husband, and she is one lucky wife.

I lost my daughter-in-law 3 years ago to breast cancer. She was only 43. The mammogram didn't catch it in time due to the location. By the time they did find it, she was already at Stage 4. She passed away 2 years later even after chemo. By that time, it had spread throughout her body.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I just had my mammogram on Thursday and it was clear. Am now 7 years cancer free from breast cancer. Glad she is doing better. It takes time to heal but I see she is in good hands!!!!

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Thank God! Glad to hear your DW is on the mend Weedy. I am scheduled the end of this month for another ultrasound, so say a few for me too. I am 11 years cancer free from breast cancer (with 2 mastectomies) but I understand that not ALL of the tissue can be removed if it had started to metasticize. How were the lymph nodes? That is the key.

Linda

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Sending more prayers for Mrs. Weedy, linda and all the ladies here and everywhere. Mike

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Weedy, I'm glad to hear the surgery went well and your DW is recovering well. I pray for the both of you that things continue to progress. Hope she can come to terms with everything in time. I'm sure that must be hard. The gardens will wait for you, though I know you must be dying to get out there and get things in shape. I feel the same way. Have had a lot of stress here myself trying to deal with a close friend, who lives with me, who has bipolar disorder. The past few weeks in particular have been really rough on me. I know how you feel about not having the time to get out in the gardens and get things done. Things here have been much neglected, and weeds have been taking over. Wish I could just take a month off from work.

Blomma, sorry to hear about your DIL. What a shame. Reminds me I need to get my mammo done a.s.a.p.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Weedy, so glad that the surgery went well and that the dr thinks he got it all. That is always encouraging. I agree, I think they boot everyone out of the hospital much too quickly these days! Sounds like she has a great nurse and cook - GOOD for her!! My husband has a hard time boiling water, so when illness or surgery strikes it is rough on everyone! :)

Blomma so sorry to hear about your DIL. Even though they have had made major strides, there is just some that goes undetected .....also the tests are ONLY as good as the person READING them. My husband had renal cell carinoma (kidney cancer) and God blessed us by having a person that we know that did his CT scan. She told me there was "something" going on with the kidney and that I needed to make sure it was checked out. SHe was "sure it wasn't a cyst". When the official radiologist report came back they said to go home and not worry - it was just a cyst. That was on a Saturday night, on Monday I hand carried the films to our family doctor about 30 miles away and asked them to have their radiologist look at it. The next day they called to schedule an additional test for Thursday, by Saturday morning our dr was calling to tell me he had cancer. It was fully contained in the kidney, and there is an extremely high cure rate with it - in fact, he didn't have to undergo chemo or radiation and is clear 7 years. ..... but once it spreads outside the kidney there is a ZERO success rate! IF we had listened to the radiologist's official report, he wouldn't be here now. And I know they are only human, but his urologist said that even a NOVICE can tell the difference between a cyst and renal cell carinoma and that there was NO excuse for such an error............

Weedy will keep your wife on my prayer list. I am sure it will take a while to adjust..... I know it must be as difficult mentally as it is physically!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Gen, that's amazing how that worked out. So nice to hear something positive like that.

Karen

Karen, and gen2026 Thanks you. It was a Navy doctor that missed it. She left 3 kids---son 12, 2 daughters ages 14 and 18.

Gen, I am glad that they discovered it on your DH before it was too late.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I know that must have been really hard on the kids........

I have lost several friends to cancer - lost a dear friend and co-worker last year to pancreatic cancer. We also lost one of the kids in our school last year that would have graduated with my daughter in May :( It is a dreadful disease for sure no matter what form it comes in!!

Weedy, I hope that she is healing well and doing well mentally with the adjustment.....

MIke, on the hibiscus...... do they come true from seed? Mine had some seeds on it last year but I was told that they probably wouldn't come true. I didn't have any idea, so I didn't trade them or anything for fear they wouldn't be what I said they were. Mine has really impressed me this year. It started blooming probably in late April or Early May and has bloomed every day since! It still has several blooms on it every day although not totally covered like it was early on. Guess I need to add a few more to my beds because they have a lot of blooms for little work...... just got to make sure they get plenty of water here......

Genna

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, so far the ones I have planted have come true from seed. I have some Moy Grande that I started from seed this spring that have buds on them right now. The white ones that I started around the same time is still blooming off and on.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Cool! That is good to know..... guess I better check out my bush and see if there are any seeds on it this year!! If there is, I would love to do some seed swapping with you if you would be interested. I know I had a piece that broke off of mine early last year, I think a deer knocked it off..... and I stuck it in a pot and rooted it and gave it to my sister. It did great. I have since tried to root pieces off of it with no luck, but I was told that you have to do it very early in the spring when it is in growing spurt. So, I am going to try that next spring to see if I can root some for our roundups that we have periodically in the mid south forum. I don't have much to share at the RUs so I am always try to think of something to have something to take to share.

Thanks for the info!

Cutlerville, MI

My Daylilys all bloomed at once, no early, mid or late! I baby my daylilys and they just did OK that's all! They are beautiful still, but definatey not up to par! Everyone that I have talked to had the same thing. Let's just pray next season is better for all of us:)
Alicia

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Mine did that too but I did have a few later ones. Highland Tower is always late for me. This year it bloomed its usual time but everything else bloomed out. I had to use a lot of frozen pollen on it and none of them took.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Hope next season is better for everyone. Mine weren't bad here for the most part. There were some that I thought could have done better, but most did really well, and some exceeded my expectations.

Karen

Perham, MN(Zone 3b)

OK, back to the topic this thread started with - lousy daylily performance in 2012. One of my well-connected source people spoke to a plant pathologist somewhere in the midwest. Apparently there is a fungus throughout this region, always present in the soil, that can affect daylilies. As we all know, these plants are ordinarily quite vigorous, and usually overcome the fungus easily. But this year, with the early spring that pushed new growth to move out way before normal, followed by a significant cold stretch (frosts nightly for several days to a week), the plants, especially the crowns, were weakened, and the fungus was able to take advantage. Here in Minnesota, even the spring temperature patterns might not have been so bad, if we hadn't also had a low-snow winter, so many things didn't have Nature's Winter Mulch to delay growth when the weather began to warm up. That heat went straight to the crowns and roots, and 'oh joy!' said they. Oops.

I suspect this is the fungus that was mentioned further up the thread, which causes crown rot. In our case, however, its ability to harm our plants was not so much a consequence of our own actions as of unusual weather.

None of my plants completely died, but all the coolest ones - South Seas, Strawberry Candy, Condilla, Pink Topping, and some old unnamed beauties - were severely reduced in number of blooms, and the plants themselves look significantly smaller. Fortunately, what was left at the end of the summer was healthy green. But it certainly was a disappointing year. I have straw on hand this year, in case it turns out to be another open winter, and plan on mulching everything that seemed to experience damage last year.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Well that explains a lot. Probably why it wasn't so bad here, as our conditions weren't quite so extreme.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.