Photo by Melody

Daylilies: My Daylilies are terrible this year............, 1 by weedyseedy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weedyseedy

In reply to: My Daylilies are terrible this year............

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of My Daylilies are terrible this year............
weedyseedy wrote:
There should be a daylily fertility clinic as there are all sorts of different reasons they don't form seeds. Rosea is supposed to be self and within the clone infertile, they apparently crossed different clones, triploids have something called triploid block not to mention gametes of odd combinations of chromosomes but if you are patient (or obsessed) you can sometimes get seeds with wild pollen (ditch lily) if you spend an entire Summer daubing pollen---although I can't say much for the seedlings, they looked wilder than ditch lily. But I had fun---in 1987. The last few years I have been trying to get seeds from Ed Murray-- there is a cultivar from wild ditch lily X old Ed that I may buy although I buy very few except when I just can't resist. There always seems to be some plant you just can't do without--and then it dies or takes over the place---I have over a hundred square feet of wild phlox that I rustled and I have accepted the fact that it will choke out anything so I just enjoy the butterflies--and a hummingbird that came so close I could hear him chirp this morning. Ed crosses with tets and sometimes dips and as often as not the pods just fall off just as they form and fall off wild ditch lilies. But this year I have thirty six children or grandchildren of Ed Murray including eighteen from Wild Horses as that is the only tet I think I grow. ( I have a few I can't identify and I may have daubed a little pollen in passing so there is a great deal of Who's your daddy seedlings in this yard) One old seedling from years back-----Pardon Me met Ed--------------------------------------------------------------------Weedy