My Daylilies are terrible this year............

Marshalltown, IA(Zone 5a)

I anyone else having this problem this year?

Last year (my first yr. with daylilies) they were healthy and gorgeous.....this yr. they all have some yellowing leaves......a little to alot...

I keep them watered.........at least once, sometimes twice a week (we are in a drought here and have had only 1" of rain in a month and a half).

And we have had a weird spring and now a dry hot summer. I even gave them an epsom salt purge.......

How is everyone else doing? Any suggestions?

Here is my Siloam Double Classic this year.....last year it was wonderful

img[IMG]http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/sm4657/IMG_0839.jpg[/IMG]

hmmmm....picture didn't upload....I'll try again....
img[IMG]http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/sm4657/IMG_0839.jpg[/IMG]

I can't seem to get the pic to upload from photobucket....

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 9:57 AM

I'll try again.

SUCCESS!!!

Thumbnail by sm4657
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Mine are not doing well either......the plants are shorter and the blooms are smaller on a few. Not blooming as much either. I think it's the weather.....and lack of rain here. Lot's of dried leaves on mine as well.

Warners, NY

Mine are a mess and part of it may be my own fault as I have clumps planted in 1980 and never moved. But most years they rise out of the weeds and bloom in the shade with few problems. Ed Murray is reduced to five or six buds but in the afternoon shade is unburned and unblemished. This year it started with the Lemon LIly that sent up scapes in March after more than a week of record heat and then it froze in April--buds on the Lemon Lily turned to mush and not a one bloomed. The orchards around here have lost a large part of their crop and the price of apples may rise in the fall----I don't know how the vineyards made out but you have to feel bad for people working these farms. A lot of scapes are now rising, four or five clumps of Ed, seedlings I almost forgot but now we are behind in rain and apparently none in sight---and I am seeing thrips and red spiders. Well there is always something that blooms well here and for some reason the yellow foxglove grew three foot spikes, a kniphofia that the deer chewed right to the ground recovered and bloomed and I have to finally like the mislabled meadowsweet that was supposed to be double but is single because it spread three feet and soared over my head which should look kind of pretty. But the daylily buds look a bit deformed weather from the weather or the blasted thrips and red spider I don't know.----------------------------------------------------Weedy

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Ive read more complaints this year than ever before. Problems with pods and pod setting as well.

A perennial nursery in our area sent their newsletter saying they had calls about daylilies with the same problems as yours. They said they made inquiries and were told the very warm spring followed by the freezes damaged the foilage.

Normal, IL

The conditions of my daylilies appear to be late-August (not June) with the leaf browning and die back. I think the daylilies are going into preservation mode due to drought. I normally don't water (one of the reasons I love daylilies) but am watering gardens, shrubs, trees once/twice a week.

Daylily bud count is lower, blooms on many are smaller....of those that bloom color is intense this year.

Thumbnail by onegoodman1955

We certainly don't have drought here we have been having lots of heavy rain and my daylilies have plenty of leaf browning which is not normal for this time of the year. Daylilies here are full of scapes and should start blooming soon.

Thanks everyone for you input....I thought I was doing something wrong, and was racking my brain to figure it out.....The daylilies that are the worse are the ones that get full sunlight all day, and yesterday it was 95 here with high humidity making the air feel like 104.....

Even 'babying' them with water wasn't helping nor epsom salt......the ones that get afternoon shade are doing better, but still have some browning.....

It's got to be the weather.

It has been crazy here....the rain is either up north (northern Iowa, Minn., or southern Iowa, Northern Missouri)...here is central Iowa the cracks in the ground are so huge, I could lose my dogs in them! They keep predicting some rain, but it either goes north or south of us......The field crops here are really suffering.....

It has been terrible. I have 3 horses, and I have 20 acres of pastureland, thank goodness, but they are in the barn in the afternoons under fans....which makes me hay them at night, and the hay people are having an awful time getting any hay....so the hay prices are up....

Just crazy here....

Wyoming, MN

Lilies and daylilies are beginning to pop here. Plants are in great shape here, many have multiple scapes this year.Many of the lily stems look like they could cause bodily harm, they are in excess of 1/2" diameter. Megatron daylily has scapes of similar proportions. The ANTICIPATION!!

Gary

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I have the same problem; yellowing leaves. Very dry here also. We had 85 degrees for a week in the middle of March, followed by frosts...Also anticipating very high hay prices and very low milk prices. I feel the way my daylilies look...

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

2" of rain yesterday afternoon! YEAH! soaked up really quickly!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I had alot of seedlings I was going to cull yesterday. They were brown and alot had died back to almost nothing. I figured why keep them. Welllll....I went to pull them up and they all had just beautiful roots. I was shocked. Needless to say, now Im saving them till next year. I guess they are just taking the 'party' elsewhere for the summer. Cooler down below, thats for sure.

Warners, NY

The later daylilies seem to be settling down a bit better and seemed to have escaped frost damage--old ED Murray has scapes on every division I made last Fall, eighteen scapes all together so I may talk myself into some crosses as there will be a lot of flowers to work with. Wild Horses has turned into a nice clump and is sporting a bunch of scapes---Ed seems to team up with Wild Horses which may take some figuring to predict what the offspring will look like but what the heck, I'm just a backyard pollen dabber---curiosity is part of the quest. A row of rosea seeds I planted outside in Fall 2009 have sent up more than ten scapes and look like they may be very tall and spidery---two scapes are already five feet tall with very thin narrow buds----curiosity as to what color they will be, weather pinks or the yellows that sometimes pop up. They are close to some ditch lilies and I was surprised to see that the branching was exactly the same----so are they all fulvas? I always thought rosea looked a bit different from other fulvous daylilies, wondering why Stout classified them together. A quilled petaled daylily that I crossed with Orchid Corsage looks like there will be some blooms and I will try to figure out if it is a recessive characteristic and if it is how do I get some more in maybe different colors. I have an old picture of that one so I will post that as I am tired typing!!--------------------------------Weedy

Thumbnail by weedyseedy
Warners, NY

Well I am still trying to figure out how to use the camera, I remain techno-challenged about anything computerized. I hope I can figure it out as I have a big clump of Wild Horses and another of old Ed Murray that started blooming. The rosea seedling bloomed and was, melon, I think, not pink so I don't know where these are going to go but it takes my mind off things. Wife needs a breast biopsy and that always makes one nervous. This is about the third plus a lumpectomy, all were negative so perhaps this is just another false alarm!----------------Weedy

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Weedy, we are praying for good news on DW test. Good luck on the sdlgs. Mike

This message was edited Jul 2, 2012 7:58 AM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Some of my plants blooms are half the size they should be and some are really thriving on this heat. Not all of them are happy.

Shawnee Mission, KS

I too need help with my daylilys. These are established plants, getting water with out signs of bugs. Thought at first they were dry, but they do not appear to be. Some of the plants are doing just fine, others look like they are dying. Can anyone suggest the problem? Your help is much appreciated!

Thumbnail by mtgegal Thumbnail by mtgegal Thumbnail by mtgegal Thumbnail by mtgegal
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

That looks like crown rot to me. I sure would get another opinion tho. Its the only thing I know of that will kill a daylily and it unfortunatly it is fatal.

I would for sure get that mulch from up around the crown and pull the old stuff away. Id then kinda dig around the crown with my finger to see if it has rotted or is soft.

Shawnee Mission, KS

What causes crown rot? too much water?? will it spread to the other plants?

Shawnee Mission, KS

and thank you very much for your reply gardenglory!

(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

This is the AHS link to crown rot. I thought it explained it in more detail but maybe it got changed when the dictionary was redone.
http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/crownrot.html

It does look somewhat like crown rot.Overwatering, overfertilizing, heat, stress, dryness among other things can help contribute to rot. I had some rot last year because I thought they were getting enough water but when I unpotted them (they were in pots) they were bone dry and between the stress of not enough water and the heat they began to rot.
Basically crown rot is either a fungus or a bacteria and it lives in the soil (or can be brought in with new purchases). There are different kinds and some smells rotty like rotten potatoes and some doesn't. The quickest way to know for sure is to try and full the fan from the crown, just give it a slight tug. If it pulls out easily and has a bad odor or is slimy then it's most likely rot.

It almost looks to me like they are trying to go dormant. Are these dormant daylilies? Has it been really hot there lately. Even though they may not appear to be dry they may be if it's been hot, they really need deep waterings. Here we have daylilies that go into summer dormancy because of the heat and once it cools off they will start to grow foliage again, these can be dormants, evergreens, or semi-evergreens.

Hope this helps

Perham, MN(Zone 3b)

This is a tough year for daylilies in the upper midwest. I've been at lots of different gardens between here (not too far from Fargo) and the Twin Cities, and I've seen daylilies *everywhere* that are doing this strange thing, of starting out green, then sending yellow leaves that eventually brown and die. Local nurseries report dozens of similar inquiries. I look closely at some of my plants - whole fans appear to be on their way out. Consultation with a major regional grower yields no great enlightenment, other than the observation that what we all have in common is an extremely mild winter with late snowfall, and an early spring which brought shoots up but was interrupted by several days of hard frost. This is just what Daylilydreams mentioned.

The question is, what is the best way to help these plants make it through and perhaps recover? Fertilize and water regularly, mulch in the fall, and just hope we get more snow this year? Cut off rising scapes and try to send the energy back to the crown (SO hard to do!) Daylilydreams, did you get any suggestions about culture, under these conditions?

-- Joan

Here in Wyoming our spring was like summer. Now we are getting hot August weather. It has been 90's for weeks. It has affected my DL's with lower leaves turning yellow. Plenty of buds that are opening. The demise of the lower leaves is from the heat, coupled with drying winds. Other than that, they look great. I hope I will get some seed pods from my crosses. Daylilies have started to bloom, including my seedlings but Tets are difficult to pollinate when it is hot. I do it early in the morning before leaving for work. .

It is also affecting Irises. The high temperature came on too suddenly and fast. Plants had no time to adjust. Irises bloomed in May when they are suppose to bloom in June. They are long gone finished but I have plenty of pods ripening.

Forgot to mention that the photo seed sown from sprouting fall 2010 and planted in coldfram May 2011. Seeds were purchased. First bloom with more coming... It is a keeper.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 5:34 PM

Thumbnail by

Yep....same weather her.....we had a good week/ 10 days of unusually hot/humid weather......100 degree temps, and 105 heat index.....then a break into the 80's, but very very little rain.
I even have my Autumn Minuret already in bloom.....it doesn't normall bloom until August...

The weather is at least a month earlier than normal.....

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 9:41 AM

Warners, NY

Thank You for the prayers, Mike, today is the day for the biopsy. I hardly believe the organization of our Drs in this town. DW had a complete physical 22 June, Dr ordered routine mgrams, done 27 June, radiologist called back in an hour, wanted more films, done 29 June, compared with last years films, primary Dr notified same day, made appt with surgeon saw him 2 July, biopsy scheduled for today. Hardly time to get nervous----and of course could be nothing. Had highly personal biopsy myself with no problems--old age, mostly! Meanwhile it rained----a little and the seedlings bloomed and were a let down, pinks and spidery melons but interesting in that their branching was the same as wild fulva. Also old ED Murray bloomed it's head off and Wild Horses made a big clump so if I get the time I may cross them!!! Strange.-----------------------------------------------Weedy

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

You are welcome Weedy. Praying for the best.
I have been cutting down any fans that look like they are dying so the energy of the roots can go to the fans that are healthy and possibly send up new fans. The late blooming Bermuda Coral bloomed today. Mike

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I have to say that most of my daylilies are looking spectacular, with the exception of maybe 20% that are not up to par (shorter, with smaller bloooms). I always seem to get dead foliage around the bottom at this time of the year. I think it's the heat and lack of a good amount of rain.

Weedy, we had a spring like yours, with a drought first, then lots of rain, very unseasonably hot weather off and on in the spring, followed by freezes, just crazy. The hostas came up early, and many sustained freeze damage because of it. The magnolias around here got lots of freeze damage, as they were early, like everything else. My wisteria lost all its buds, but it's blooming now - go figure!

Nice seedlings, blomma and Weedy.

Prayers go out to your wife, Weedy.

Karen

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Some of my DL's are spectacular - large blooms and tall. I kind of think it is the ones that happened to get a lot of water, because I forgot to turn off the hose or something like that...

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hope the test went well for your wife Weedy............. biopsies are always nerve racking! Prayers for both of you.

Finally getting some much needed rain here............ had about 2" in the past week and a half........a really nice change - not to mention that the temps have been much better. High in upper 80s to low 90s, some days even in low 80s.........sure beats 106+

Genna

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm sweatin' it right now, as the pump to our well is on the fritz, and looks like it may be an expensive fix. I have tons of pots that need watering at least every other day, some daily. If I don't get it fixed soon, plants will start dying pretty quick, unless we get some rain. Been a lean couple of weeks for rain, with high temps last week. Not as bad this week, but with no rain, even 80s can bake the plants in the pots. Waiting on a guy to come out and look at the pump today. Hope he has better news than the last guy, who said our well needs to be dug up and will cost $4200. We just don't have that kind of money.

Karen

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Ouch!!! That is an awful price. We had to put a new well in at our cottage about 10 years ago and it was 2,200.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

That sounds like a better price, but then things are probably cheaper where you live. I'm just praying we can get someone else to tell us things are not that drastic.

Karen

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Weedy,

Hope your significant other came out of the process with all negative results, but.....if not, life goes on. I am a survivor for 11 almost 12 years. I look better with a bra and breast pads on, but other than that all is well. LOL

I chose not to do chemo, with a lumpectomy but had a mastectomy instead. The following year I had the other one removed as all I did was keep checking over and over and over. I did take Tamoxiphin for 2 years until they started finding out the bad effects from it, so I quite taking it. Still ok and still have the ultra sound (in place of a mammogram) every year. This year they found a small cyst on the left so are keeping an eye on it by testing every 3 to 6 months, but my feeling is if it is a cancer, then dig it out and just hope for the best. (I also say my prayers!)

Linda

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Nice positive attitude Linda. It's seven years for me. I had a lumpectomy with chemo and radiation. Don't think I could ever do the chemo again. The medical field is starting to rethink the chemo thing. My cousin was just diagnosed and they want to do radiation seeds implanted. Something new.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the up hemlady. I didn't want chemo and I didn't want radiation ruining the good cells, so opted for the modified. I've had FBD like forever. The surgeon gave me the options before he knocked me out and said if they found cancer cells in the nodes they would have to do a mastectomy anyway, so I just opted for it in advance. Actually, I like not having to wear a bra when I'm working outside! (he he)
I thought about reconstructive surgery until I read a lot of discussions in the Breast Cancer magazines and decided it was not a good option for me. So there you are. Flat chested, blue eyes and silver hair!! LOL My cat Savannah loves me though.....

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Guess I'd rather be flat chested than dead. I still have lots of living to do.

Karen

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Karen.....my thoughts EXACTLY!

Thanks

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.