June 2012- Feels way too much like July!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

94°/76°
Mainly clear. Warm. Low 76F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph.

Will,
Grinning over your sweat band. Where did you find it?
YUCK on the color! Someone didn't mix their colors very well at the store.

Oh dear. You know, tke fresh, or cold air. My Grandma who was very sharp keept the windows closed and seemed just fine. Were your grandparents sweating? I would go orun the air twice a day for them at least. You really hate to think of their bodies suffering even if their mind is not.

Oh, HAPPY BELATED HAPP!!

It was hot today! I finally dug all the wilted, drying up and dried up astilbes, and transplanted them to the shade. They got a lot of water and I expect to see perky leaves tomorrow. This should have been done a lot earlier. I found one more I need to get.

Sunday we had a family reunion for DH's side. We always take my Dad :o)
We had the boys the night before, kept them after the reunion and took them home Monday. I stayed all day so DD could get the swimming pool set up without too many boys around to ''help.''

June is almost over. Boo hoo hoo. It's my favorite month.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Sally, 76? That's a pretty high low there! It is getting real hot here too! Tomorrow they are forecasting 107°! I don't recall if they were sweating, they may have just had a sweaty sheen on them.
I went over there this late afternoon and their air was off and they weren't answering the door or the phone so I didn't know what to think. I guessed they were gone out to eat with one of their kids which they do several times a week, that's what they did come to find out. I'll ask my Mom to tell me when they do that so I don't have to worry, nevermind, she called while I was writing this, she says she won't call me to let me know when their out. I said, "oh I see, just let me burn my gas and use my minutes up calling them and going over there". I think Grandchildren kinda get the short end of the deal when it comes to helping Grandparents. Oh, it's okay to do stuff for them but don't ask for anything or any help! What am I going to do when I'm old, I don't have any kids!

I dropped the memory card to my camera that day, when I was looking for it I found my sweatband under this computer cart, just in time for some real sweat on the brow. When you wear glasses like I do, sweat getting on them is a big thing, it's like, "dangit, I can't see!".

Yeah, isn't that paint color on the shed putrid?! Pepper had it right, it is ugly with a capital U! Yeah, that paint mixer at Walmart should be ashamed of themself, how can they knowingly sell that to somebody?! I had already gone back to Walmart once to have them try to make it less pink, I think they made it more pink!

I'm not a fan of family reunions myself. I think my cousins like to see me to remind them how much worse they could be! My cousins are doing well, I even have one cousin, younger than me, who is a doctor!
Their all going bald though, I got that on them, I got a big head of hair!

June is your favorite month? June is a good month, I agree, maybe it's mine too!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
Do they lock their doors when they leave? It would worry me too, now that the days are getting so hot, but how nice to get to go out with family for a meal!
Laughing, why won't your Mom tell you?
Laughing again. Isn't it funny how a person can find things?
I'd take the paint back and ask for my money, or has the time run out to do that?
I wish my family would do reuinions, but most of the older one's have passed and the younger don't come anyway. I don't care who does what. I just like to see everyone.
Big hair, LOL! Yep, you have a nice head of hair!
So, could you use the putrid paint as a base coat and go over it with another color?

We ran to town this morning and got home early. It's 103° on the screened in porch, but only 95° outside right now. I watered a few things and came in. I needed to catch up on recording the plants I've moved around so I don't forget to water them. Now I have to water one I forgot! I knew I'd be going out even if it is hot. I can't waste a day with sunshine and a breeze.

Stay cool !

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Will, the starts are beginning to put on roots in the water. I have them on the sill by my kitchen sink, so I watch them pretty closely. I was tickled to see roots!

Yes, the temps in Tulsa have been pretty miserable. We've already had a stretch of 100+ days with it continuing on the 7 day forecast. 106* is the highest predicted so far. And NO RAIN! Another summer like last year? I pray not! I spend my days watering and trying to get plants I have into the ground. I've been adding Moisture Crystals to everything I plant, pots AND inground! I would LOVE some low 90* temps!!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Crit,
I hate this dry weather. I don't mind watering, but I can't catch everything I'd like to help along. I only hope the plants next to those that get water can't tell, but I think plants can sense things like that.

The astilbes I moved have perked up and I see a couple blooms I didn't see yesterday. Yayyy!

Haha! Do they lock their doors when they leave? No. And they leave their valuables such as money and jewelry on the nightstand by the bed. They live at 4268 Canterbury Drive, Fairbanks, AK. I'm just kidding billyp!
That just looked funny! Yes, they do. I was over there tonight playing Chess and eating dinner. My Mom, an Aunt and an Uncle were there for dinner too. The big air conditioner was on today. My Grandpa was playing some good Chess today, he beat me fair and square 2 out of 3 games. My Grandma and Grandpa are pretty funny. My Grandma asks my Grandpa why he has such a big stack of books over there to be knocked off. My Grandpa says, "I see you pointing and your lips are moving, now what's that?". Oh, she probably wouldn't tell me because she isn't right in the head. That's probably where I get it! Just kidding, but I don't know, she is a funny sort, like myself!

Yeah, that's usually the way I find stuff, looking for something else I lost..lol

I don't think you can get a refund on custom paint, your either happy with it or too bad.

Awww.. I have a nice head of hair? Thanks, you do too!

A base color, maybe. I don't know how this is gonna work out, my friend don't really want that old deck red on her shed. What's left of the pink will probably end up being mixed with the red.

Great to hear that, Crit. That's quite a trip for some small cuttings in an envelope. Here's their Mommy Rose-Of-Sharon shrub, it's a big one. -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

76°/70°
Thunderstorms likely this evening. Then the chance of scattered thunderstorms overnight. A few storms may be severe. Low near 70F. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Will,
LOL! I'm sure they live on Canterbury Drive :o)
I think your Grandparents are pretty cool.
Hey, mixing the paint might work well enough.
Nice tall Rose of Sharon!

DD called yesterday in the heat of the day. She had a chance to go on a semi run with her DH. Could we take the kids overnight? All of them? So, the twins had their first over-nighter and did very well. I must say two small babies take up as much room as the two older boys when they were two and four! They will be spending another night in a week or so. I think DD got over any ''fear'' that they would wake up and miss her, LOL!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

68°/94°/69°
Areas of dense morning fog. Widely scattered showers or a thunderstorm this morning. Then partly cloudy. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%

Oh goodie, it's about to rain again. I just dumped the 6/10'' from yesterday. We'll pay for it in steamy heat tho :o(

I hardly looked at my flowers yesterday with all the kids here. They should pop today after getting some rain. If it isn't too awful out

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. I had a great day dispite the fact I worked. Just have a seceanted to see what all you guys were up to.....lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We need rain badly. Big rains in May don't stay for the summer. Hot at market today. Sold out!, pretty much by 10 AM.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ,
Glad yopu had a good birthday in spite of working. It should be a paid holiday....

Bernie,
Yesterday and this morning we finally got almost 8/10'' of badly needed rain. The field corn was standing straight up trying to conserve moisture and in some fields, have yellowed. Some of the beans are the same.

You got rain, Sally?! Shame on you! It is SO hot outside. I'm glad my friend likes it so cold in the house, my nose runs in the morning. I think just the heat is taking a toll on some plants, like this one 'Mini Penny' Hydrangea is always wilted and in some areas brown, I water it daily. I kinda don't really want to put a pitcher of ice-water on it several times everyday. It says it's 101° right now. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

Here is that Rose-Of-Sharon today, I trimmed it seriously last year. It hasn't phased it though, it is fuller and has really grown and really putting on buds, they are all over it, I can tell they are about to burst some lavender on me.

Haha! No, not 4268 Canterbury Drive. I Googled it though out of curiousity, it's some house for sale in Texas, I don't think I'd go there looking for valuables! - http://www.trulia.com/homes/Texas/El_Paso/sold/21882883-4268-Canterbury-Dr-El-Paso-TX-79902 I just made that address up, I shoulda known it really exists..lol

My Grandparents are cool. Next Summer will be their 70th wedding anniv. My only guess on their longevity is pretty stress-free lives, a good sense of humor and little to no sugar, oh, and definitely not smoking.
They are pretty deeply religious, that kinda makes for a worry-free and stress-free life I think.

I think the one Blackberry start that is a root sprout might be the only one that gonna take at this point. That's still kinda uncertain though. Happ, I hope your ready for a Blackberry plant cluster if this start takes!

You wanna hear something funny?! I say to my friend, since you had to put all those oddball microwave dishes back up there, it is harder to find the Rubbermaid ones now. She looks at me and says, "maybe I like rescuing oddballs", she was talking about me! I am glad I am odd! If you hafta to be something why not be odd?!

I thought I'd try some 12 foot tall Sunflowers out in the front for people to look at when they drive by, that'll be a sight! Here they are popping up from a seedpacket. Birds like sunflower seeds I think.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

If those grow well you will most likely have every goldfinch in your state visiting. They ate all mine this year before they had even gotten started.
Six or seven years ago I grew one that was 32 inches across the seed cone,it had trunk not a stalk!

And odd is fun,, more fun than many things anyway,IT is the old of today that everybody has to be a documented as something that is more odd than odd.

Oh, I like Goldfinches! I think I've seen them before, it is a pretty bird. 32 inches across is big. I hope the description on the seed packet is accurate, they are called 'Mammoth' Sunflowers that get 12 feet tall.
Yeah, being odd is good most of the time! It thundered here but no rain yet! I don't know if it is actually going to rain, I kinda doubt it.
Okay, Black-Eyed Susans from seeds get over that half inch tall stage! I've had them before but they never get big! That other pot is empty, I hit it with a spray of water about a week ago that was too hard and I think it beat all the little sprouts in that pot too much.
Eeeek, time for a new thread already!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

shortleaf; Mine were Mammoth Russian and they do get big with some organic fertilizer.

I have the Black-Eyed Susans also they are coming up everywhere from self sowing last year.One clump is three feet tall and about the same across.Vigorous when they establish.

Coneflowers are one of few that are happy with all this was dry weather. Well,, here's a few pic's

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Systems being that way this morning. second try: #2 #3 Blue oat grass, you know the others .Going for more dry land plants lately ,of course that too may change after a while. Soggy outside this morning, makes me feel that way too ,when working with the garden.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Lightening thunder horrible high winds and not one drop of rain! ughhhh!
Drip hoses are going everywhere. I ate my first ripe tomatoes yesterday......June 30! Earliest ever.
Never thought of daylilies being a plant that needed alot of water and I haven't watered my but they are horrible dry, leaves turning brown, hope they are going dormant and not dead.
Beautiful pics everyone.
Corn around us is curling up in some of the fields. Gonna be a bad year.

Nice photos, juhur, very colorful. Is your camera set on email size, they are pretty small. Not that it's a bad thing, I bet the upload time on DG is real good. Mine take a while to upload to DG, sometimes I'll go to the refridgerator or something while they upload..lol
Glad to hear Coneflowers like the dry, but they always seemed to wilt before they were planted but come to think of it they never look wilted anymore since their planted. The one is still yellow with Aster Yellows but I just don't have the heart to dispose of it.

My Sunflowers just say Mammoth, it could be the same thing, they just left off the Russian part maybe. Here they are in their glory, those right of the seed packet I just threw in a bigger pot, surprised they haven't gotten ate yet. -

Here is the big pot of the root sprout Blackberry plant that I hope does like a root cutting, it seems to be taking off, the big leaves that were already there seem to be drying up and smaller leaves coming in. -

I think the soil here must be too acidic or something, several plants just get yellowed leaves like this Blue Angel Hosta. -

This Bumblebee sure likes some Hyssop, it landed like a foot in front of me when I was getting the next photo! -

Here is that next photo. I just wanted to give my 2 cents about something, just setting plants in a bucket of water seems to be a sure way for them to flourish, like this! -

I noticed at Walmart that they had a Rudbeckia, which is Black-Eyed Susan, I wonder why they don't say Black-Eyed Susan? Also, it was only hardy to 40 degrees, it was like a houseplant, but it sure was pretty.
I like Black-Eyed Susans though that overwinter outside.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I wanted to show my Butterfly Bush 'Blue Nanho' with a white butterfly on it! -

My DitchLilies from you happ are the same way, about half of the leaves are brown. My DitchLilies are just in a big planter.
I hope it isn't dying, maybe they are conserving energy by losing some leaves. I love a DitchLily!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

THREAD CLOSED!!!!

NEW JULY THREAD HERE!!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268793/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.