Prime time chat

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It hit 75 here today but I came in at 73 degrees and fell sound asleep then went back out around 4 PM. The heat bothers me more with each passing year. I don't know how you can work in 90 degree heat, John.

Louisville, KY

Susan and I spent most of the day in the garden. We would work for 30 minutes and then in the air conditioning for 30 minutes.

we are oredicted to have a full week of this.

John

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

We had so much rain for a while that two of my new clems wilted, Blue Light and Purpurea Plena Elegans. I'll keep an eye on them, and hope they recover eventually. Now the prediction is for 70's for a few days, climbing up into the 90's by mid-week., and not a drop in sight through next weekend. From one extreme to the other... Yikes!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

A beutuful morning, my Sunset is showing off, it is full of buds and flowers. Also Hf Young is doing a new budding even that its leaves are yellowing on the bottom. It will be a nice day to pull everything together, like mow the yard, paint two lawn chairs and firtilize this morning. Etelka
ps, I got my first glasses yesterday, I shure have been spending to much time in the garden and not enough time in the house. I can see dust now, wow.

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

kiseta: I have learned to try and ignore the dust. I use to do it every week, now I figure I have better things to be doing with my time. Like playing in the garden's, or shopping for more plants.

What seems to be your problem with Blue Light and Purpurea Plena Elegans, Pam. You said wilt but have the leaves gone black or are they all just wilted? I often cut mine back to the ground if I spot a problem like that to help them bounce back. More manure, Epsom Salt and more mulch can be helpful.

Etelka - I'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you not to wear glasses in the house! Dusting is just a hobby to occupy your mind during rainy days or for writing down reminders of what has to be done in the garden. No one of any value would ever remember a dusty coffee table after seeing all your blooms.

Marie - I agree. Dusting and cleaning are probably fine jobs for those who don't garden, not for any of us.

Thomaston, CT

The house comes in a poor second this time of year....gardens are more important! Pam's clems had green leaves, Pirl, but they were wilted.....

You bet, Marilyn!

Are the clematises in full sun? Too much water?

Thomaston, CT

One was in full sun & I think the overhead irrigation system was in the area......

Maybe Pam could post a photo of each ailing clem. That's no guarantee I'll have an answer or be able to help but I can research it.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

The Purpurea turned completely black. I'm thinking the pot was in too much sun? So I pruned off the dead stems and moved it back to morning sun only for now so it doesn't dry out. This week coming up will be a tough one, hot and dry. Blue Light is in the ground, by a trellis between the driveway and the house. Only some leaves were wilted, I think only on one stem. It gets some afternoon sun, but filtered. I thought it would be OK with just a few vinca stems over it, but that may not be enough if the sun hits it directly as it moves between tall trees and shrubs. I mixed lots of manure and compost in, used re-constituted water crystals, and piled lots of mulch on top when I planted it a couple of weeks ago, and gave it Epsom salts then and a couple of times since. When I saw it was wilting, I moved a small-ish stone over the roots. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

All the rest are doing well. I haven't gotten them all planted yet, but they all look good. I've been rushing around the place whenever I have the time, trying to get caught up with all the things that should have been finished by our frost date, June 1. Today was very productive, all that's left that's really urgent is mulching the last few areas so they survive the week. Hopefully I'll have time to get the last few clems potted up at least.

Sizaja Ptitsa's bud is still firmly closed. It's a tease... I'll get a pic of that too.

Pam

Edited to correct name

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 4:47 AM

You did the right thing with PPE. It should recover just fine even if it doesn't show up again until next year. Some just do that and two local gardeners have had it happen for years. You can cut the bad stem off from Blue Light. Cool and moist roots are what the clematises want so any large stone should work.

If you don't have the time to plant each clem in time for the heat coming in mid-week, make a deep trench and bury them there, covering it with a lot of mulch or compost to help keep them cool.

We'll look forward to seeing Osaja when it does bloom.

Let's continue here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1265378/

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

"I'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you not to wear glasses in the house! Dusting is just a hobby to occupy your mind during rainy days or for writing down reminders of what has to be done in the garden. No one of any value would ever remember a dusty coffee table after seeing all your blooms."
Love it!

Probably a male doctor who doesn't garden, cook or clean.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.