Prime time chat

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Well, I messed up! It's Pink Champagne that hasn't bloomed for me. Pink Fantasy bloomed this year, but looks a bit different than Marilyn's.

Thumbnail by venu209
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was curious if my camera would take pics at night. This is the clem that was here when I moved in 10 years ago. I moved it to here to the trellis about 5 years ago. I never trimmed it back and it seems that I can do either and it still grows like crazy. Small purple blooms and small leaves. It is really a Noid...lol

This message was edited May 24, 2012 8:35 PM

Thumbnail by marie_kap
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Louise - yours does look much different than either Marilyn's or mine. You got lucky with that one!

Marie - it's fun when clematises adapt to our own personal style of gardening. We can get angry or annoyed and whack them back or neglect them and yet some just go on blooming. A close-up of the leaves and the flowers might help us with an ID for it.

Ok ,here is a close up of monster. Also the new one I put on the cedar stump.

Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap

here is another that is opening up. I had saved most of the labels , but then hubby through them out, not knowing why I wanted to save them. So I have to make sure I dont l leave them out for him to pick up...lol

I have noticed that the Advant Garde is finally getting a stronger stem. I have hopes for her yet. One died and I am watching this one closely. But ants have decided to make a home in her pot.

This message was edited May 25, 2012 7:03 AM

Thumbnail by marie_kap

Reminds me very much of Galore, would have been sold as Vesuvius 10 years ago, however, Galore is a group 3 so it's pretty early to be be blooming now. Hmmm.

It always blooms around June.

Louisville, KY

I have had this clem for several years now, but am not sure of its name. Madam Villard?

Thumbnail by timeinabottle Thumbnail by timeinabottle
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

timeinthe bottle, That is a nice clematis, I don't have any lavender color. By the way, my climbing roses, the Autumn Sunset are four feet tall, no buds yet. I planted them in half sun and half shade, hope I did ok. It has been over 90 degrees here for days, the flowers are realy suffering. I have used some alfafa tea the other day on everything, hopw that helps. Etelka

That's a beauty, John. Sorry but I don't know the name. Perhaps someone else will drop in and identify it.

We relented today and turned on the AC, Etelka. Working outside in the heat and coming into a nice cool house felt wonderful. It's easier for me to work at night than in the sunshine. We only got to 77 but even that was too hot for me. I'm happy to read that your Autumn Sunset is putting on good growth. Keep it mulched well to conserve moisture.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I had planted all my new clematis. I planted the Madam Julia Correvan next to the Gipsy Queen, since they are both #3 type. I have made a trellis for the one of the VV and the Ice blue but have not instaled it yet. The second VV will have a wire going up around the mail box. I am running out of room for clems so maybe I should stop ordering them. I have ordered the Eva Phlox, got four of them. I have not seen them around growing, hope it is not to hot here for them. Pirl, I have been using airconditioner since April, I like it cold, down to 70, I am used to sleeping in the cold, back home we did not have heat in the bedroom, only large feather covers. I remember ice on the window in the morning. But we where never sick as kids. It is what you arae used to. Tomorow morning I am making a breakfast casserole for the prayer brakfast meating, I hope they like it. It is made with hash brown, sasauge cheese and egg and milk mixture. Every time I show up, they are thinking food. I made up my mind thet on my toomb stone it will say "she fed a lots of hungry people"
Etelka

Louisville, KY

Etelka the autumn sunset is going to get very big. Its a wonderful rose.

John

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

John, I have seen your picture and saved it on my walpaper and put it on my bucket list. So now I have 2 of them and hoping that by next year it will look half as nice as yours. Thank you. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

I don't know how the phlox will be for you, Etelka. I can only hope they survive and thrive.

We do reach a point where we feel we don't have room for more clematises. I'm at that point now. I might be able to squeeze in one or two but more than that would require more space than I have.

John - We used to have climbing roses but they became a full time job with pruning so we gave up on them. Climbing Peace was my favorite.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

IN the last 2 years I went from 0 clematis to 17 that I have now, I have two of Hanryi, Young, and Ruutel and 3 of the VV. I only have a 40 x 30 front yard, so it will soon look like a jungle. Etelka

You did a great job, Etelka, and it shows in your wonderful photos. Your neighbors have to applaud you and I hope at least some of them give you compliments or smiles of appreciation.

Have a wonderful breakfast. It sounds great!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Pirl, you are so sweet. Always with a kind word. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

Thank you, Etelka. There's enough sadness in life so we have to enjoy all that's beautiful.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9139805

Louisville, KY

Arlene
I just got in from my morning walk with Daisy and clicked on your picture of Harry and Jack. Aren't dogs wonderful ? I know you gave him a good life. Susan runs Daisy in Agility . The judges at Cinncinnati always end there morning briefing by saying be good to your dogs they are with us such a very short time.

I can no longer go to trials because Daisy would leave the course to come to me.

John

Thanks, John. We pet lovers understand the grief we feel over a loss. Their lives are much too short when we love them so much.

How cute about Daisy!

Thomaston, CT

Very pretty clems.....I cam back from NH to see the Pink Fantasy has more blooms....wait another year, Pirl.....

Okay. I'll wait.

Thomaston, CT

Niobe only has one bloom....and Gypsy Queen opened up......

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

At least one is better than none, Marilyn. They are both nice colors. Are they both young plants (less than three years old)?

It's Memorial Day, one day of the year set aside to honor and respect all those who gave their lives in defense of our country. Take a moment out of the day to reflect and say a prayer of thanks.

Thumbnail by pirl
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Solemn words.So many veterans and their families have given so much.
Etelka, you might consider Margaret Hunt if you want lavender. It is a wonderful blooming machine.

Thumbnail by bananna18
( Pam ) Portland, OR

Margaret Hunt added to wish list, check. :)

Pirl,
Thanks for the advice on what to do with my poor little Niobe.

Everybody,

Well, after much obsessive study, I made my first trip out to a local garden store to see who their clematis growers are nowadays, and this first trip as successful. Seems the old Tissues and Liners company has grown tremendously and is now T&L nursery. They're doing a nice job with the plants and are a company I can be happy with.
Here's their growing practices page http://www.tandlnursery.com/growing They are wholesale only, so if you view their products list, remember that. I see by what they have available, the clems on my most wanted list are around, and grown locally. I still have more garden stores to visit, and more current growers to explore, but now that I know I could do a special order when ever this particular LGS orders clems, I'm happy.

So for now, I came home with two old favorites, proven over and over to be great plants.
C.'Comtesse de Bouchaud' and C.'Doctor Rupple'. Plus one new one, C.'Yukikomachi' that I'm excited to see how it does here. I also got another honeysuckle, Lonicera japonica 'Purpurea' to place in my potting area. Why didn't I think of that before. ;)

I did snap a picture of C.'Comtesse de Bouchaud' for a 'baby picture, and during that I noticed poor little Niobe has more flowers and has grown another 10 plus inches just since I posted last. She is now tipping her support way over from the weight. Apparently the new compost mix I dumped on top of her old worn out soil, agrees with her. Well, at least I know she'll most likely make it one more season in such a poor situation. I feel so guilty to have done this to her.

This message was edited May 28, 2012 8:28 PM

Thumbnail by citybusgardener
Thomaston, CT

That's a healthy looking clem! Pirl, Niobe is 3 years old, Gypsy Queen 2......hoping for more blooms, or there will be new clems. Love your red, white, & blue collage....hard day remembering my DH who fought in WW11.....

Anna - Margaret Hunt is wonderful - so many blooms!

CB - I just love Dr. Ruppel (pictured below) The flowers are so beautiful. I'm curious about Yukikomache. I'll have to look it up online. Funny about the honeysuckle and why you didn't think of that before. We all have those moments.

Marilyn - generally year three is a big time winner but it depends on if you started with a typical plug or a good sized plant. When in doubt just dump on the manure and compost.

My dad was in WW l and many I know served in Korea, Viet Nam and Afghanistan. The original PIRL used to tell us tales of her uncle who served in the Civil War!

Thumbnail by pirl

Yukikomache is lovely. I like the pale blue outer edges and the white in the center. Good choice, CB!

Photo by courtesy of Brushwood. I love their plants!

Thumbnail by pirl
( Pam ) Portland, OR

Yukikomache
Apparently up near Seattle it's blooming May, June, August, September.
While at Joy Creek Farms , less than 20 miles from my door, here is what they say:
Quote:
(The name is an allusion to a Japanese poet in the snow.) Clematis 'Yuki Komachi' (Chieko Kurasawa) is surely one of the most lovely of all clematis. Although Japanese texts say this is somewhat dwarf in nature, our plant grows 12 feet up a Viburnum and spills down like a pale cascade. The 4-inch flowers are creamy white with lavender blue margins that fade as they age. The sepals are cup-shaped and tend to face upward. We do not prune our plant but know that this will bloom on new wood. All of our Clematis are two year old plants that are suitable for immediate planting in your garden.

May to October. 8-10 ft.

Cream/Pale Lavender Blue flowers

Part Shade Zones 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
End Quote................................................

http://www.joycreek.com/Clematis-Yuki-Komachi-150-230.htm

Yes, they spell it differently than the other sites I studied. But that's the same plant. I have read full sun bleaches out the lavender edges, so I think that's part of the variation I've seen in photos. All I have is part shade, so not problem here with fading. I love the cup shape to the sepals.

Pirl..You need one. :)
Your Dr. Rupple is outstanding ! Thanks for the picture. The one I bought has a couple flowers open on it, and the trip home slowed down due the folks stopping me as I walked down the sidewalk, at both ends of my little trip. My fellow bus passengers all loved it too. Not everyday you see a granny cart decked out like a parade float ( my four tall staked plants, plus a few annuals that fit in and around). LOL

This message was edited May 28, 2012 8:30 PM

You must have fun bus rides and I can see how the passengers must enjoy your new plants.

Don't be concerned about the differences in spelling of the name. Rooguchi is also spelled Roguchi.

There are 20 clem's on my list now that I'd like but it will take very creative thinking to fit even a few more.

Anna, Margaret Hunt is gorgeous. I don't have her, might have to change that. :)

I have no idea which this one is. This was planted when I first got hooked.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

See if you think it compares favorably to Franziska Maria:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/300399/

Sure looks like it. Thanks

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone, I want to share my great luck on transplanting c.Arabella! I am not able to get rid of Bishop Weed, I have sprayed and resprayed with Roundup for 3 years and It is actually choking the clematis. so
I dug up the plant of Arabella, totally rinsed ALL the dirt of and immediately replanted the slender roots resembling intregrafolia roots. I used 1/4 strength plant starter solution in very well prepared soil and lo and behold the little dear just reestablished almost immediately!! I am chalking it up to luck!! Oh happy, happy day! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

How sweet!

Thomaston, CT

She likes her new home!

Congratulations, Lee. You did a great job with Arabella. That aegopodium is a horror to eliminate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.