Prime time chat

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

A few weeks ago I had my husband rip out one boxwood and I got the other one out of the spot where it was not being a good neighbor to my clematis pitcheri. There was way too much root competition and I was thrilled that pitcheri even survived. Here's the photo (taken 5/27) of poor pitcheri after I dug it out - such small roots! I potted it up (5/29) with the usual manure, compost, bonemeal and gave it a good drink of Epsom Salt and can't believe the growth it has put on in just two weeks - photo taken 6/10.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl

Back in March I had planted two of Venosa Violacea (from Walmart) in a self-watering pot and kept it on the kitchen windowsill. As you may recall it did give me one beautiful bloom. Then it went outside and I decided to cut it back for the health of the roots (5/29). Sorry the photo does not show that there are two clem's in the pot. Fast forward to 6/10 and look at all the new growth! I may pinch it tomorrow.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, it's been nice to catch up on everyones posts and beautiful blooms. I have been taking lots of pictures, and just haven't had time to post them because I've been taking care of the DH, who is doing extremely well now, and work has been crazy. When I started to download all of the pictures that I have taken over the last few weeks, they numbered over 1000, LOL.

Here are some picture taken from today. Pink Champagne has continued to bloom, and is now caught up in and is supporting trumpet lily Pink Perfection. The second pic is from last week. I'm really happy with this combination.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Welcom back, Pirl, I missed you. It has been raining here very hard for 2 days, more is coming. We need the rain but not at one time. My clematis Henryi is doing good for first year, has a bud but no flower yet. I hope he learns to swimm, the water is high in my yard. By the time it drains, more rain came. When I look at your clematis, they always look so green. Some of my clems, Rebecca and H Young is kind of yellow at places, I wander what is the cause of it. My ugly grasshoppers are around, I have been placing the bait in different areas in front, but they are just live and well. I have been on the hunt for them, and using my sharp scisors. Did you missed being an the computer? I had one time my computer in shop and that is when I realized how much I depend on it for company. I guess it is better then singles bars????

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Arlene, you've got the magic potion for clematis. I'm glad your potted clematis are doing so well. The combination of things that you recommend to amend to soil when planting has really made a difference for my plants here.

Here's the first bloom on Otto Froebel, it's now over 3ft tall, and was only planted in April. The growth of all the clematis here has also been helped by all the rain that we've been getting.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 9:12 PM

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Lovely combination, Annette. It's no surprise that you love it. Who wouldn't? Glad to hear DH is doing well. Downloading 1000 is a lot of photos. Today I downloaded 230 and thought that was a lot until I read your post!

Kiseta - Please take a photo when it's not raining, of your yellowed leaves. If they are all at the bottom it just might be the older leaves getting ready to drop off as nature dictates. If the yellowing is on newer leaves I'll do a search and see what I can find out for you. Those grasshoppers just won't leave your flowers alone! You'll need a scissors in each hand to do battle with them.

I am lost without the computer but I'm sure computers are safer company than singles bars! LOL

Otto is looking good, Annette! The rain does help and regardless of the rainiest springs I haven't lost any clem's to rain, just to overwatering on my part believing at the time they couldn't get enough water...wrong! It is a mistake I only made once, thankfully.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

John Warren with Asiatic lily Lolly Pop, which has been blooming intermittently for the past few weeks.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Athens, PA

Arlene

Welcome back - I missed you!

Pretty, Annette. I have had Lollipop in bloom for a few weeks now and we love it.

Thanks, Carolyn. I missed you and all my other clematis buddies.

Thumbnail by pirl
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Arlene. It's good to be posting again. I'm so thrilled with the garden this year, I've had color since February, and usually we would be getting real hot here now, but the frequent rains every week has helped to keep the temps down here, and has really helped the new plants put in to do well.

Here is Daniel Deronda, and Durandii.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Durandii is planted on the same trellis with my noid, across from the variegated hydrangea.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Both Deronda and Durandi are such lovely colors.

Your siting of clem's, their partners in the garden, your home, pillars and fencing are all so exquisite. You seem to put a lot of thought into everything you do and it shows.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Arlene, you are so kind. I have fun in the garden, and believe me I have some color clashes too, from when I first started gardening. There are some plants that need moving around, I just need to keep them labelled so that I can do some transplanting in the fall. Here is spider daylily Azure Wings and clematis Liberation. The first few blooms are small, but the plant is now putting on some growth.

Another lovely combo. Here Liberation is more pink with a dark stripe. I do enjoy Pamela Harper's theory of Color Echoes and try for it as often as possible in our gardens. There will always be some, "Oh, no!", combinations to change.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

So true, I'm trying to do better with the color echo theory.

I find it interesting that the same plant can have a different color in different parts of the country. I wonder if soil acidity and type affects the clematis like it affects hydrandeas?

Here is Arabella, a bloom from last week, and again today. The four plants that I've put is have really put on some nice growth, with multiple buds starting to show now. I need to get some trellises to give them some support and height in the beds.

Many sites say that climate makes a difference. Your Arabella certainly changed in one week. I like both versions.

I don't know about soil acidity vs. alkaline affecting clem's but I do abide by the thought they prefer lime over acid so I do bury a chunk of cement with each one as I plant it even though our soil is mostly neutral pH. Here's a photo of Mme. Julia Correvon with the chunk of cement on the right.

Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Could that have been the problem with the clem that died? Is that I planted next to the pine Tree stump? I am going to dig it up and see if the roots are still good.

It's always worth a try, Marie, and no matter how small the roots may be it's worth trying to save it. You may want to soak it in water for a day or two to help with recovery. No need to cover the root ball with water - an inch is fine and put it in a dappled shade spot. Let us know how it looks.

Sorry for the delay in responding but I had dental work done this morning.

Remember my lantern eating Jackmanii? Well, this year has been no different. It silently climbs up and then gets inside the lantern while I'm busy with other gardens.

1. May 8th as it invades the lantern.
2. May 31st it becomes too much of a good thing. I cut it back that day.
3. June 1 - looking much neater.
4. June 11th - in full bloom, no harm done by cutting it back.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl

That is what some of my clems look like at the top. So it is ok to cut those long runs back , and I will still get blooms?

Group 2 or group 3?

Jackmanii is a group 3 so I can say with certainty that it will give you more blooms but I'm not sure of the others.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL Arlene. You cracked me up about the lantern eating Jackmanii. It's gorgeous, I wish a few of my clematis would consume some of my garden objects ;-)

It's one I don't feed, Annette! Imagine if I did feed it!

The Candida that's 20' up into the magnolia is the next to get a major trimming though I don't expect more blooms. It's given the best it could this year and it deserves a bit of a rest.

The Jackmanii that devours the compost piles is up for inspection next. It must be something special in the Jackmanii's genes because the one at the old stump has taken off in three directions. If you don't hear from me tomorrow you'll know its tendrils choked me.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Too funny, and I hope it doesn't. I'm so glad you told us about pruning during the growing season. I'll have to do a few of the older clematis soon, to get those second flushes of blooms.

Any of the group 2 clem's that finished blooming can be cut back now. The generally accepted rule is to cut back by one third to one half but sometimes a clem will require more or less - it all depends on how it looks to you. If it's overwhelming in size I'd go to pruning by half. If you're willing to sacrifice another flush of blooms you can cut a straggly one much lower to encourage more stems. A good drink of Epsom Salt would help with that and manure is always a good idea.

Remember Hummingbird Farms advice that no one ever killed a clematis by pruning it.

What great temptations here at such fantastic prices! Many are just $9.95.

http://www.gardencrossings.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.kwsearchpost/genusOnly/Clematis/index.htm

All clematises I've bought from Garden Crossings were well rooted in 5.5" pots and they've all done very well for me.

Thomaston, CT

Pirl, your Jackmanii is a beauty indeed! Oooh, many tempting clems on that site!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The rain finnaly stoped and I went out to take some photos. My Sunset is doing good, this is her 3rd flush of butds. Daniel Deronda is all chewed up by the grasshoppers. My Rebecca is sprouting, but her and one of the HF Youngs have yellowing leaves, I don't know what is the problem. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

These are the Rebecca and the Young clems yellowing leaves, but they are budding. Any sugestions. Thanks. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

You're clearly doing everything right, Etelka, to have three flushes of blooms on Sunset! Poor Daniel Deronda! Shame on those grasshoppers.

I don't know why the leaves are yellowing but you could cut off each yellowing leaf and then see if the new leaves are green. I'll bet they will be.

If that fails you could cut each one back but I'd hesitate to do that until you remove the yellowed leaves first.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Pirl, sometimes I think you are the evil clematis temptress ;)

I noticed Galore is in there for sale. If anyone wants a very vigorous and easy clem, that's one of them. Their picture is true, too. When you stand back from it a bit, it appears as if each bloom is kissed with a white star in the middle. And the bonus?... a group 3.

That's my job in life, Louise!

I liked Galore for the starry look and Rosemoor's description sounds great as well. First I have to find a spot for each of them. I did find an unbelievable site for trellises of all kinds as well as obelisks and trellis planters. The best part may be that most items ship for $5.00 - unheard of in recent times.

Loved this one: http://www.simplytrellises.com/garden-trellises/planter-with-trellis/squarevinylkensingtonplanterwithtrellis.cfm

More here - same company: http://www.simplytrellises.com/garden-trellises/155881+4295046339.cfm

I had one that was a triple like those. Dear Hubby threw it out on me with out one day with out me knowing. Saying " well it was broke " I could have hit him. The top had come off after it fell over in a storm, that was all. Now I see the prices to replace it and I am really sad. Thy would be easy to make. Get a wooden planter and nail a wooden trellis to it. It might be cheaper than 200.00.

We have white painted wooden boxes on each side of the garage so the look of one in vinyl with a matching trellis appeals to me. No painting required is a big advantage at our ages. Jack made the boxes, reinforced all corners, and screwed them securely. He is an accomplished wood worker. The one thing he didn't count on was the weight and force of the soil so the sides are weakening and some screws are now visible and can't be forced back in place.

They do have many other trellises less than $100. and for just $5.00 shipping or free shipping.

Thumbnail by pirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My nice Ruutel is having mini flowers, it is so funny they are all a like, but smaller.

Thumbnail by kiseta

That's still nice, Etelka. We clematis lovers take what the plant gives us. The President and Hagley Hybrid are still producing lots of blooms here as is Ashva, which just started last week. The Jackmanii's are all beserk, as usual.

Louisville, KY

We are in the 90s and dry here. I have watered my clems today and am going to put some more compost mulch on top. I am considering giving each of them a handful of rosetone. Comments please.

Sounds good to me, John. The only time clematises don't get fed any specific food like rose or tomato food is when they're still in bud.

Louisville, KY

Thanks Arlene . I just wanted to be sure

John

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.