Prime time chat

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Coming from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1256007/

I've never seen larger clematis flowers than this year and they're all so beautiful.

Crystal Fountain took a few years to provide a show but it's worth it now that it is in its fully glory.

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Arlene

Thank you for the new thread.

The old one was even getting slow to load for me and that's rare.

Here's tree rose, Peace, with Ernest Markham clematis.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Pretty color combo!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

OH MY, what a pretty flower.
I agree, this year the clems are growing so much. Blooms everywhere and the height that they are getting. Most of mine are growing above and beyond the trellis's.

It's true. I have one 20' up in a magnolia and it's in bloom now but I won't get a ladder to get a photo of it. Here's one of the blooms at eye level - Candida Lanuginosa.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

A great color to brighten up a shady spot....

I gave my son 2 small ones from the discount ones i got. He finally planted them late this past fall. Now that they are all up and blooming, he is even impressed with their blooms and growth. I hope I created another addict...lol

Thanks, Marilyn. Originally I planted the clem's when the magnolia was very young and short. I do love Candida in the shade there.

Good work, Marie!

Here's Josephine (at last) at about 6' in the magnolia.

For as tall as Josephine and Candida got, The President decided to stay near the ground this time. It's also on the magnolia.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

Pirl, I'm curious about your clems growing in trees. Do they get much direct sun? I'm wondering if I might have a tree or two that could host a clem or two!

Katherine, now plotting more clems...

They are in an eastern exposure but do get dappled sun all day. I've never had a problem growing them with our departed Box Elder (what a messy tree) - three cultivars, several grow through the Tardiva hydrangea, the magnolia hosts four clem's and even a Japanese maple with Princess Diana. Last year I planted Rooguchi and Blue Light in front of a Limelight hydrangea and they're both doing well. Those two do get direct sun all day long.

So you dont worry about root competition, or that the leaves will shade it too much? Interesting....Hmmm.
I have 2 lime lights, but was afraid that it would over power the clem and choke it out. But I guess since the clem comes up first, it would work.

I planted all of them before I thought about root competition. I think it's a more serious issue with moisture loving plants like hostas taking up the water and nutrients when they're close to clematises, than trees.

Those I planted around the Box Elder was when the tree was the diameter of a typical rebar stake. The tree grew to 50' and quite wide but somehow the clematis roots spread outward and they all survived. The clematises around the magnolia are planted from one to three feet away from the trunk and they haven't had any problems. If I had it to do again I'd have cut out the bottom of a big nursery pot, like 5 or 10 gallon size, and planted the clem in that protection but in the same areas.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I've noticed some very large blooms this year. Even Viola, who typically has smaller blooms has big blooms this year.

This message was edited May 21, 2012 9:29 PM

Thumbnail by venu209

I have got to say , that even my hubby is impressed with all the clems that are blooming. And how each one is starting and then another follows after the other is done. But it looks like I might get another flush of blooms on the first ones. They are growing like crazy after that first growth and putting out new buds. Jacknami is getting ready to put on his great show. So many buds this year. I can wait to take a pics of him. I had gave my neighbor a small piece of jack a few years ago. It had done that layering all by it self. Hers is now all over her mail box in just 3 years. I hope the other jacknami I bought does as well.

Athens, PA

Interesting you say that, Marie. I was thinking that perhaps I may get a couple of flushes this year. Everything has been early and growing so quickly and as you said, one flowers after another.

I have Venosa with Quickfire Hydrangea and they happily coexist.

If we have a warm, extended autumn, we might get 3 flushes!

Funny, Pirl, my President went quite high this year co-mingling with a wisteria and an errant rose bloom. Hard to tell where one stops and another begins.
HF Young remained low but gave big blooms, Candida is going high on a pine and big.

Thumbnail by venu209 Thumbnail by venu209 Thumbnail by venu209 Thumbnail by venu209

Such beauties, Louise! That Candida really looks great and in with a pine it has to shine like a beacon.

Henryi has been exceptional this year. It was later to bloom than most of the other class 2's but now it's loaded with blooms.

Rituaal is in a lot of shade but it's one glorious flower. I love how the back of the blooms show off and contrast with the face.

Ville de Lyon is another beauty. They all seem to be enjoying this spring and the rain combined with cooler weather.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Exactly what's happening here....huge blooms, lots of new growth, happy clems!

At least they're making up for the lack of blooms last year.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone,
Here are a few pics of my clems. currently in bloom BUT, the blue one with the white boss is labeled 'Fireworks' ...I don't think so! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP
Thomaston, CT

I like the shape of the red blooms....

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have planted one of my Venosa Violacea in the pot and I bought some of the ornamental metal wall decoration at the trift store for 3 doll, that comes in twos, wire them together a made a home made trellis. I hope it works well for it.

Thumbnail by kiseta

Lee - nice colors on those clem's. I agree, the blue one is not Fireworks!

The Duchess of Edinburgh (double white) and Fireworks are planted 3' apart here but decided to join forces to put on a grand display. It's fun when two clem's can get together and do better than we can with all of our planning.

For 20 years we've had the Belle of Woking growing with Multi Blue on the fireplace wall. A few years ago I added more clem's to the area and the Belle decided to make friends with Ilka. I love them together.

A few still haven't bloomed: Ashva, Helsingborg and Patricia Ann Fretwell.

Nice job, Etelka! Love the mulch even more than the trellis. You want the roots to stay cool and mulch will do it.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl

I would like to plant something on my south side against the house, but I am afraid that it would be too hot in the summer. Can a clem survive here?

Thomaston, CT

Marie, I have 4 clems planted on the south side of my garage...they are planted on trellises with climbing roses.....Kilian Donahue does best....seems to really love there, & I get several flushes of blooms.....here is Ibi, planted on a trellis facing southwest....that's a quarter on top of the bloom! The pink is Kilian.....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

Both are beautifuly, Marilyn.

I agree with Marilyn - plant on the south side and just give them more compost (water retention) in the hole and make sure they have 3" of mulch.

Thomaston, CT

Thanks......

Since the soil there is so bad. (fill dirt). I was thinking of building a raised bed and planting in it.

Fill dirt around here is often good drainage but poor soil so just add a lot of manure and compost and plant more clem's whether you put them in raised beds or not.

( Pam ) Portland, OR

Hi Clematis people,

I've been admiring all of your beautiful gardens off and on for some time, and wishing mine was half as nice.

My reason for posting today is to find the name of our weed clematis. Google is failing me. I think you, the experts are my best source. I stepped next door where it is only pulled once a year, and the roots not dealt with, so I have a better picture to help ID it. It blooms in the late summer with blooms like the Autumn Clematis. Then the seeds come to visit me, and the hunt begins for the new starts, a year round project. Horrid, invasive plant.

This photo is of growth starting last summer. It is on a laurel hedge. Leaves are trifoliate.

Thumbnail by citybusgardener

Yep I agree Arlene. And I find it everywhere in my yard too. In fact I have that and another vine that keeps popping up all over. I have not let either grow to full maturity, because I know they are invasive.

My Silver Lace Vine keeps popping up in all gardens. I'm sure every seed is fertile.

Citybus, that looks like virginiana, the virgin's bower, which Pirl's link showed. Sweet Autumn has a smoother edge to the leaf and is scented. I don't have SAC, but I do have virginiana. I've never had a problem with seeding but it's vines will root all over. I pulled it out of it's sunny spot last year and plunked it in shade out by the road. It can do whatever it wants out there, but in a more formal sunny setting, it's a thug.

Beautiful Ibi, Marilyn. Mine got seriously molested last year by the installation of an irrigation system. This year it's put out one bloom, very small and looks yellow. Weird.

Lee, that looks like it might by HF Young, one my favorites. What ever it's name, it's beautiful and very healthy.

Nice job with the trellis Etelka! Pretty and affordable, a great combination.

Pirl, love Ilka and Belle together, a gorgeous pairing!

It seems it's not just roses and clems that climb the arbor ;)

Thumbnail by venu209

Ooh, a blooming feline. I don't have that cultivar!

Funny Arlene...lol

Marie - you have me curious. How big is the space on the south side that you can now fill with clematises?

( Pam ) Portland, OR

Pirl and Venu,

Thank you !!!
I just knew this was the right place to ask. I had been looking at both of those, but couldn't get it right. Pirl, that link really helped, since it explains the difference between the two.

Now I need to remember where I was in Daves' Garden, when a member asked a question...and that question started me on this quest. LOL This is one of those things I've been confused on before, and gave up before the answer.

:)

Pirl, blooming feline is under house arrest tonight and driving me nuts. If he keeps it up, I'll be able to bring you a cutting. ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.