What is blooming in your garden this May-June?

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I just checked out All Things Plants.....same people there as on DG. Most posts from DG people, in fact. I just don't like the site as much as DG. I don't think I'll switch. Photos don't look as good. Same people???? What? And no Pacific NW garden forum. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Well a deer got into my front yard overnight and chewed my clematis which was just staring to go up the arbor, ate all the buds of my echinacia & black eyed susans, ate half a stock of lupine and a few small sunflower seedlings. Geeze... :(

Sprayed the entire yard again today with "deer out" spray. We will see how that goes.

They did leave many things in the back yard and a few in the front to photograph today.

Grateful Red Bearded Iris, the siberian iris are starting x2,Jacobs Ladder,allium & dutch iris

Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

What is "All things plants"? And who is "same people"?

Deer never ate my echinacia or Black-eyed Susan. Is it the same as Rudbeckia? Or Lupine either.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Willow. I know they are not supposed to eat those plants. Must have been a young deer who was sampling at the front yard "buffet". It is so frustratiing. The plants will continue to grow, but I will have to wait a while longer for some blooms. I believe Black eyed susan is Rudbeckia.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Disappointing when the deer eat your buds. I just put in a motion sensor "Scarecrow", which sprays the water. It cost $80--I had sticker shock. However, it seems to be working so far to protect my formal rose garden.

All Things Plants is another gardening website, similar to DG. Most of the posts were from the same usernames as people who post regularly on DG. (virginiarose, echinaceamaniac, springcolor, ge). So I was just confused why anyone would post on two different sites when it is more or less the same group of people. I just didn't see that site offering anything better than DG. And it lacks a Pacific NW forum. Every other region in the US is represented it seems. It didn't look like the forums generated more discussion or anything though. That was the reason I checked it out---I'm always looking for more discussion and photos, but it seemed to not be as active as DG.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Bea, The babies sometimes do that.

kosk, Thanks for the input on ATP. I certainly appreciate your contributions to this forum.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I've also poked around at ATP and have decided to just stick with DG. I know the format, it seems more user friendly to me (although that could just be familiarity), I don't have the time to double-post to two different sites, and frankly I find the name All Things Plant a bit awkward. I utilize the Tools of DG, especially the blog which I use as a journal of sorts for myself - I haphazardly track wildlife in one tab, keep a running To Do list in another, and make note of what I've done in yet another. Some features of DG I never use, others I use a lot. It works well for me.

I do follow a couple other gardening sites, but more on a catch as I can basis: Garden Rant, A Way to Garden, and Rainy Side Gardening.

Whatever happened to the Cubits site - is that still up? I was just coming into DG when that fiasco was playing itself out and I didn't follow it too closely or have much opinion one way or the other on the pollitics of it all. Glad all the angst seems to have evaporated.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I ran across a facebook site called" two women and a hoe". If you belong to FB check it out. Some really creative and beautiful gardening ideas. Fun site!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The roses are begining to bloom despite an early spring "clipping" by deer friends. The make shift deer fence is now up in the back yard. So far so good!

William Shakespeare, The Impressionist, Gentle Hermione, Ebb Tide

Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful roses. Here is a pic of my two peonys

Thumbnail by Willowwind2 Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I moved my house plants outside yesterday so now the front porch looks like a greenhouse.

Lake Stevens, WA

Well I have done it again too much stuff from the greenhouse!! Anyone like to visit Lake Stevens I'm having a plant sale Wed. from 12-6. D-mail me for address. Lots of coleus, geraniums, Salvia. Just 2.00 a plant of BO. Other plants too.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Willow..your front porch looks very nice. Grab a good book..a cup of tea or wine and you will be all set!! The fushia is beautiful !

Lake Stevens, WA

I agree, you have a very pretty begonia in there too!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks but there is no room for a chair, hardly any for me. LOL

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Willow - both of your peonies look exactly like the two I inherited from my Mom. No clue what their names are. I like the single fuschia best, it tends to keep its face out of the mud a bit better than the double pink. Must be old heirloom varieties.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Bea--that Ebb Tide looks really pretty. I also have Gentle Hermione and William Shakespeare. William S. seems a lot more prone to black spot than my other Austins.

Willow---very nice, inviting front porch.

I have tried for a couple of days now, and it looks like I can no longer upload images to this website. Even if I try to just upload one at a time. I've had no problems uploading to Facebook or any other website, so clearly this is a problem with the DG website. If they don't improve that, I might be looking for a new garden forum soon. I prefer to upload my images high resolution, and I prefer viewing others' garden pics in high resolution. I'll try again later today or tomorrow.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I had that problem for awhile. I can load two now but it takes a long time. I really hope you don't leave.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I second Willow - perhaps search through the other forums to see if the photograph problem is being addressed proactively. I have not had much luck loading more than one photo myself, but I haven't been too diligent about figuring out if the problem is on my side or theirs. This gardening season has been rather skimpy compared to past ones for postings and I was finally feeling like a new smaller group was coalescing in the PNW forum.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm giving it another try....

Pic--hedge of pink knockout roses in bloom.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

That's a Knockout for sure! Glad you are persevering here. Yep, loading photos takes lots of time.......

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I think my computer is sluggish. I need to bring it in. Probably full of viruses.

Here is Stachys macrantha (Big Betony) that I put in last year, so it's the first year blooming for me. I really like it.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Love the roses and the betony. Really pretty.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Do you get any significant fragrance from your betony? I planted this is the aromatic section of my herb garden and can not discern any noticeabley fragrance. It could be me. I also can't smell sarcococca (never quite sure how to spell this, too many c's).

Thumbnail by bonehead
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

LOL. Some words are like that. Heehee

That betony sure is pretty.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I'll go smell my betony today. I love yours! WOW! Perfect color. That magenta purple is wonderful.

What is fragrant for me right now, is my ceanothus hedge up by the road. These shrubs are gigantic, and make a great privacy screen. They smell so musky, manly, piney, earthy. I love their fragrance. Top of driveway is in this pic.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful Pic's everyone. Love the pinks & purples! They seem to be prominent in the garden now.

Pink Noid Bearded Iris, hardy geranium,pink poppy, purple poppy, purple rose....can't get to the tag in its current location.

Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Kosk, I've been hankering after a ceanothus lately and didn't know of their fragrance - yet another plus.

Bea, lovely pics. I've started a spreadsheet showing what is blooming when, charting in the actual color, and how long it is in bloom. What I'm finding is the deeper the color the shorter the bloom time (for the most part, there are always exceptions). It's been an interesting project, and will hopefully help with my winter daydreaming/planning.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

My first annual poppy bloomed today. It's a red one.

My ceanothus variety is 'Victoria'. I grows fast and gets huge. Much of the fragrance comes from the foliage, I think. It smells most fragrant in the fall when the rains start.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

My poppies are popping as well. I was going for a low look next to the stairs, but my CA poppies insist on being 2 feet tall, and I obviously got some field poppies in the mix as well. And, now I'm finding volunteer toadflax popping up here and there. So I guess I'm getting more of an intermediate height this year. This is my annual bed that I can change up each season, although I do tend to plant self-sowers (calendulas just now bulking up at the feet of the poppies, recently pulled out the fading forgets). Finally a sunny day -- I'm heading out.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I love that walkway of yours. U always have something different blooming there!

Smelled the betony. Very faint scent of a peony. But minimal.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

if you want to see some neat garden art go over to Northeast Gardening forum and Bedrock Garden thread.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Despite the gray weather today..thing contiuned to bloom. Summer is two days away!

anemone, fluffy pink poppy, Rose- Safari(beautiful) ,my favorite red rose- Lava Glut aka Lava Flow, mushroom madness-to bad they are not of the edible kind.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That was a great tour of Bedrock Garden. Very clever people. I know it gave wha lots of ideas. He does excellent work with rocks.

For some reason I can't get icab to post my pics, but I have asclepias, lilies, spirea, hydrangea, and hostas blooming and even some chrysanthemums that I didn't get pinched back.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Honeysuckles opening up, love that evening fragrance!

Thumbnail by bonehead Thumbnail by bonehead
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Two of the pink roses I have. They must be old ones and not in very good shape.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

An orange one and a almost looks purple one.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

A cotoniaster. I love this one, it is so soft looking.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

escallonia?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

White mini and Sea Thrift

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.